AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-03-30, 12:04   Link #24041
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Edit: I didn't think I had actually stated that Chrono founded NSIS (in fact, I said the TSAB created it, without mentioning specific names) but Chrono's musing "what if" NSIS existed when his father died... is that what made you think I had claimed Chrono founded the unit? It was just Chrono complaining that if NSIS had existed then, his father might still be alive.
Oh I noticed this, but forgot. I think it was my story on Chrono that mentioned this, but Chrono thought that the Shadows flubbed The Book of Darkness incident in the last one (in that, there were still options to take without condemning an innocent girl to an Eternal Refrigerator, but that's what they went with. As an aside, I always loved that this implied that Aria and Lotte were Shadows when their master was the head of the organization. I assume they all retired at the same time... ).

Chrono's actual part in the end of the Book of Darkness incidents makes it far less likely that he'd think that the Shadows would have helped that particular problem beforehand. Knowing the Knights as he would... I don't think he'd even idly think that. But I don't think that the idle thought is all that big a deal, I just wouldn't use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allquall View Post
Holy crepes on a hill, I hope it won't take a year! My goal is to be done with the lingerers by the end of June. Then, I'll probably be addressing the serious lack of lesbian westerns. You would think that would be a popular genre in fanfiction, but I can't find many even in non-fanfic community! And Nanoha is badass; thus, she needs a western (and by Nanoha, I mean Hayate. She wears a black hat, if you know what I mean).

tl;dr Can I haz a gay girl cowboi, plz?

Thanks, mate!
O_O I want In the Name of War to finish now for many reasons!
Old 2010-03-30, 12:09   Link #24042
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
It's just one line, easily removed. Thanks for the feedback so far. I'll do my best to keep new chapters coming.

As for the Artificial Mage bit... other people are pointing this out, but I'm experiencing a bit of Fridge Logic here. Why would the projects have two names? Why would Fate, Erio and Vivio be considered results of Project F, but Lutecia and Zest be simply artificial mages (both of whom were born normally, one of who died and came back like a zombie only with less rotting).

It was Jail that referred to Lutecia and Zest as artificial mages, so that's where I'm extrapolating this information from.
Old 2010-03-30, 12:17   Link #24043
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Clearly, I have done something right and am being rewarded for it. Watching people take an idea I've had a large hand in creating, adopting it, and using it in thus-far-excellent fics is an amazingly great feeling.

Quote:
Spoiler for response:
Well, I'm glad that they're not presented as "super-weapon" type of items, but the logic seems kind of circular--the mass driver is powerful enough to kill Celica, but a "standard Storage Device" wouldn't be. Ergo, mass driver > ordinary magical weapons technology. This is the part I don't like. If Celica's defense is crap, then it's crap and it really shouldn't matter what people are shooting at her with; since there's no underlying "game system" in Nanoha telling us that AA-ranked mages have a Barrier Jacket that can stop X amount of damage type Y but only A amount of damage type B, there's not even any way for the reader to glance at the situation and conclude that this is the underlying rationale. And on a purely aesthetic level, I simply dislike it when nonmagical technologies are inserted into the TSAB's environment (even Jail's Gadget Drones, while using non-magical-damage weaponry and AMF, were still powered by artificial Jewel Seeds)--it's like introducing, say, a computer into a modern novel that doesn't use electricity.

Quote:
Not to mention using their Devices would have shown up on the headquarters' building sensors and been recorded (since Celica's own use of her Device is cited as evidence by Chrono to Lutecia). They had to do away with Celica quietly and the sensors don't look for things like that.
This, on the other hand, is an excellent reason, giving an in-story justification for the bad guys to pull out alternative weapon tech without having to make that tech in any way superior to magic.

Quote:
Regarding the artificial mage bit, I think I misunderstood how it was presented in Coldlight's sub of the StrikerS DVDs. From the show I extrapolated that an artificial mage (thanks to character dialogue concerning the combat cyborgs) is someone who has had their Linker Core and DNA tweaked for specific results, like greater Linker Core capacity and certain abilities. It seemed to me like the three concepts--the Artificial Mage Project, the Combat Cyborg Project and Project F were all separate lines of research. Especially since Jail specifically refers to the "undead" Zest and Lutecia as artificial mages, but refers to Fate and Erio as products of Project F.

If there's some information that's All In the Manual that I somehow missed, I'd like to know. I just didn't see why they'd bother giving the Artificial Mage Project and Project F different names if they weren't different projects.
Not having seen the Coldlight subs, I can't comment (I don't recall him referring to Lutecia as an artificial mage, but honestly, I've only seen StrikerS all the way through once so it would be very easy for some obscure reference to slip by) on this. What I do know is that the Project F/Fate creations were always referred to as "artificial mages." Keroko or the like might be better able to clarify the All There In The Manual details...

Quote:
Edit: I didn't think I had actually stated that Chrono founded NSIS (in fact, I said the TSAB created it, without mentioning specific names) but Chrono's musing "what if" NSIS existed when his father died... is that what made you think I had claimed Chrono founded the unit? It was just Chrono complaining that if NSIS had existed then, his father might still be alive.
Ah, yes, that was why I expected he'd founded it (since so far as the original concept goes, the Shadows were created soon after the TSAB's founding, so...in the range of 70-75 years prior to Strikers if my timeline's not all bollixed up again). I'd assumed that in your version of the story, it had been Chrono's personal tragedy that led him to build the agency once he reached flag rank--and that, moreover, its relative lack of long-term standing was what made it especially vulnerable, politically.

Quote:
Glad you like it.
Oh, yeah. Looking very much forward to Chapter 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 of Crime Never Sleeps...

Minor Character #2 appears ....I'm not sure if I captured Lucino's personality right, but this is five years post-StrikerS, so maybe she changed!

Crime Never Sleeps
Part 4

Spoiler for Crime Never Sleeps, part 4:
I don't think Lucino actually has a personality in StrikerS that you could make mistakes on. Most of the time I outright forget she even exists...

Quote:
Spoiler for Author's Note:
In this situation, I found Auris to be very bitchy indeed. In this case, she comes into the cell, browbeats a kid (regardless of what she actually did, this is our first look at Raven and it's "helpless little kid in jail being confronted with an evil mastermind"), attempts to get her to make damaging admissions, and deliberately tries to shake Raven's confidence in Hayate. All while we know she's snickering in her own mind going, "Yeah, kid, you just sit there and hope that the jury feels merciful so I get the fun of ordering your assassination instead of having to let the law punish you for me!" You can almost hear the ojousama laugh.

Quote:
Holy crepes on a hill, I hope it won't take a year! My goal is to be done with the lingerers by the end of June. Then, I'll probably be addressing the serious lack of lesbian westerns. You would think that would be a popular genre in fanfiction, but I can't find many even in non-fanfic community! And Nanoha is badass; thus, she needs a western (and by Nanoha, I mean Hayate. She wears a black hat, if you know what I mean).

tl;dr Can I haz a gay girl cowboi, plz?
I suspect that it's a target demographics problem. Not only are Westerns generally a dying breed (even romance-novel historicals with a cowboy setting seem to be fewer and fewer by the year), but I'm guessing that very few high-school and college-age girls (the largest proportion of fanfiction writers) are within the group that reads Westerns.

Guess you'll just have to keep providing them for us.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 12:37   Link #24044
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Clearly, I have done something right and am being rewarded for it. Watching people take an idea I've had a large hand in creating, adopting it, and using it in thus-far-excellent fics is an amazingly great feeling.

Quote:
Well, I'm glad that they're not presented as "super-weapon" type of items, but the logic seems kind of circular--the mass driver is powerful enough to kill Celica, but a "standard Storage Device" wouldn't be. Ergo, mass driver > ordinary magical weapons technology. This is the part I don't like. If Celica's defense is crap, then it's crap and it really shouldn't matter what people are shooting at her with; since there's no underlying "game system" in Nanoha telling us that AA-ranked mages have a Barrier Jacket that can stop X amount of damage type Y but only A amount of damage type B, there's not even any way for the reader to glance at the situation and conclude that this is the underlying rationale.
Oh ho, but there is. I seem to recall ordinary Bureau clerks blasting away at Gadget Drones and putting not even a scratch on them, but any of the Section Six kids could blast holes in them without even breaking a sweat. Obviously there's a significant power differential between a generic Storage Device staff and the custom Intelligent Devices and Armed Devices used by the main characters. After al, in order to overcome the Drones' AMF, the shots would have to be quite powerful.

Quote:
And on a purely aesthetic level, I simply dislike it when nonmagical technologies are inserted into the TSAB's environment (even Jail's Gadget Drones, while using non-magical-damage weaponry and AMF, were still powered by artificial Jewel Seeds)--it's like introducing, say, a computer into a modern novel that doesn't use electricity.
I know people don't necessarily like that sort of mixing, but it's not a major plot point, honest. It was just something I used because it quickly told Celica that these guys weren't kosher (since guns like that are hideously illegal within the Bureau-policed worlds) and it wasn't something she could just take without getting killed to death.

Quote:
This, on the other hand, is an excellent reason, giving an in-story justification for the bad guys to pull out alternative weapon tech without having to make that tech in any way superior to magic.
This is really the main reason the guns showed up, but as I mentioned above, it's also true that your average Bureau redshirt staff isn't that powerful--as we've seen amply from the series, you might as well be tossing spitballs at your enemy. The only time those sticks ever seem to have any real effect is when Vice uses one toward the end of season three.

Quote:
Not having seen the Coldlight subs, I can't comment (I don't recall him referring to Lutecia as an artificial mage, but honestly, I've only seen StrikerS all the way through once so it would be very easy for some obscure reference to slip by) on this. What I do know is that the Project F/Fate creations were always referred to as "artificial mages." Keroko or the like might be better able to clarify the All There In The Manual details...
You're not the only one saying this so I may reword those passages...

Quote:
Ah, yes, that was why I expected he'd founded it (since so far as the original concept goes, the Shadows were created soon after the TSAB's founding, so...in the range of 70-75 years prior to Strikers if my timeline's not all bollixed up again). I'd assumed that in your version of the story, it had been Chrono's personal tragedy that led him to build the agency once he reached flag rank--and that, moreover, its relative lack of long-term standing was what made it especially vulnerable, politically.
I was trying to make it as close to RB's canon as possible, but I just messed up. I removed the offending line and now it no longer reads as if NSIS was a recent creation, and simply states that the TSAB created NSIS as a solution to the "white knight" problem their own recruiting and training methods create. (This is what RB intended, if I remember correctly from my earlier reading).
Old 2010-03-30, 12:40   Link #24045
Jimmy C

It's funny, I partially wrote replies to two posts before I realized what I wanted to talk about was unneccessary.

Quote:
What I do know is that the Project F/Fate creations were always referred to as "artificial mages."
No, they're not. I'd like to know where you got this impression from. After going through the relevant scenes (in ep24) again, I've come to the conclusion that synaesthetic is correct. Intentional Artificial Mages (as presented in the series) can be made from any base, including natural humans.
Project F creations were supposed to be perfect replicas of their originals. But some of them seemed to have developed magical abilities that the originals didn't have. Hence, you can consider Fate and Erio artificial mages in the sense that they're a)Artificial creations, not natural-born and b)mages with active Linker Cores. But neither of them went through the "adjustment" process intended to create the kind of Artificial Mages (note the uppercase) that Ginga described in ep11.
As a side note, I wouldn't be suprised if Jail had slipped in something that increased the odds of developing an active Linker Core into the Project F process.

Quote:
Not having seen the Coldlight subs, I can't comment
If you've seen the yesy subs, that's basically it. He ripped their subs and put them on his encodes.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 13:32   Link #24046
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Western!Nanoha...

Well, I was never really into westerns, but I think it could work. Throw in a little Trigun and Outlaw Star, and I think we have a good mix of lost technology, caster guns, magic, and western feel that could work......maybe.

Anyway, here we go!

Spoiler for For Allquall:
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 13:40   Link #24047
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Here, have some fic.

false light
A false light casts a darker Shadow...

Spoiler for false light ~ chapter 01:

Spoiler for author's notes:

It's on fanfiction.net also: click me.
I love the "friend to take down friend" plot, those are always so tragic and full of angst . Hm, and I found a kind of irony for Chrono to trust Lutecia to bring Celica in alive....not that Lutecia kills on all of her missions, but that's what she's infamous for, so it seemed kind of ironic to me .

Political intrigue, yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperk View Post
Cards And Devices
Chapter 16 - Beginnings

Spoiler for Chapter 16 - Beginnings:

Spoiler for Author Notes:
Damn, I need to catch up ....but LOL, the cosplay rears its head .....Hayate's definitely a good example of the "quirky but competent" commander !

Quote:
Damn, Auris is a real bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post

Auris, you're a bitch. I don't think even death is kind enough for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperk View Post
I was wondering why every comment had the same line. Now I understand. Auris, you ARE a real bitch. -.-"

But, something that still bothers me is that everything is going according to Auris plans. It's not like Hayate to let so many openings. At least, I think it's not. *scratches head*
BWAHAHAHA XD!!! Glad to see such unanimous agreement!

Awww, does no one love Auris' mastermind-ful scheming? And yes, it's not like Hayate to leave so many openings....

Quote:
I don't think Lucino actually has a personality in StrikerS that you could make mistakes on. Most of the time I outright forget she even exists...

In this situation, I found Auris to be very bitchy indeed. In this case, she comes into the cell, browbeats a kid (regardless of what she actually did, this is our first look at Raven and it's "helpless little kid in jail being confronted with an evil mastermind"), attempts to get her to make damaging admissions, and deliberately tries to shake Raven's confidence in Hayate. All while we know she's snickering in her own mind going, "Yeah, kid, you just sit there and hope that the jury feels merciful so I get the fun of ordering your assassination instead of having to let the law punish you for me!" You can almost hear the ojousama laugh.
LOL, glad to see I'm not contradicting canon ! I debated on using Shari or Alto, but they actually have some semblance of personality that I might mess up .

Ouch, when you put it that way, she does sound quite nasty indeed! Maybe I ought to throw in a more sympathetic scene to redeem her character?
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 13:49   Link #24048
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
@Satashi: Ah nice one, I like how you described Fate in the beginning.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 17:05   Link #24049
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Baby Got Back Mountain?
Remember this. This is important.
Old 2010-03-30, 17:13   Link #24050
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Well, it kept being pushed aside by other things, but since people wanted it, I have revised and extended Dependence. I removed some things Satashi had a problem with, and wrote a 2nd part of it based on what Kaijo suggested.

Remember, it's lime scented with mature subject matter and a high squick factor.

Spoiler for Dependence:

Sorry again for offending everyone by not considering the feedback. In the future I shall remember to indicate if a fic I post is a toss away or not. Just remember I appreciate and am happy to recieve any and all kinds of feedback.
Much improved; it helps to get that other viewpoint in there, and the new ending only pushes it harder into the tragedy category. As I said before, not really my cup of tea, but thought I'd at least let you know that it does come across much improved.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 17:19   Link #24051
Allquall
The Not-So-Kind One

Send a message via AIM to Allquall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Bare Breast Mountain?

Edit: Page claim for Lesbo cow girls with guns!
Got a good laugh out of this. I was meaning real westerns, but, hey, we're running low on Western-themed porn as well.

Deep Canyon or Bust!

Quote:
I suspect that it's a target demographics problem. Not only are Westerns generally a dying breed (even romance-novel historicals with a cowboy setting seem to be fewer and fewer by the year), but I'm guessing that very few high-school and college-age girls (the largest proportion of fanfiction writers) are within the group that reads Westerns.)
I find this a sad reality which I hope changes. There's something thrilling when you study the historical West. Hell, even the frontier/desert areas of Mongolia and Russia have rancher tales similar to their North/South American comrades. Maybe it's because good and evil are shades of grey and social mores are a bit more negotiable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Western!Nanoha...
This. This made my day! Thank you!
Allquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 18:31   Link #24052
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Western!Nanoha...
I was thinking also throwing in part Wild Arms, as it seems to be very appropriate for the setting change.
Old 2010-03-30, 21:08   Link #24053
Nijiru

Quote:
I find this a sad reality which I hope changes. There's something thrilling when you study the historical West. Hell, even the frontier/desert areas of Mongolia and Russia have rancher tales similar to their North/South American comrades. Maybe it's because good and evil are shades of grey and social mores are a bit more negotiable.
That reminds me, I should try and get my hands on some of my dad's Louis L'Amour books again. Haven't read them in ages. Thanks!
Old 2010-03-30, 21:51   Link #24054
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
I actually had an idea with the West as a backdrop, but ultimately I dropped it. I can't even remember why, but for some reason I did. I wish I could remember the original idea, I'd like to try my hand at a Western and see what would come from it.
Old 2010-03-30, 22:24   Link #24055
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Wild Wild West.

Starring:

Captain Nanoha Takamichi of the US Army.

US Marshal Fate T. Harlaown.

Miss Hayate Yagami searching for her best friend (lover) Carim.

Dr. Jail "Loveless" Scaglietti as the villain with his strange steam-bots "Gadgets" and his clone harem personal guard "Numbers."

Lindy Harlaown as President of the United States of America

All other characters shafted appears as supporting cast members.

Except Yuuno. He gets to be "The Man with No Name."

*wanders off to watch more Sergio Leone*
Old 2010-03-30, 22:27   Link #24056
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
They're all just busy riding a bus doing other duties, out on the range, and can't be fully involved in the story or given proper development.
Old 2010-03-30, 22:32   Link #24057
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Wild Wild West.

Starring:

Captain Nanoha Takamichi of the US Army.

US Marshal Fate T. Harlaown.

Miss Hayate Yagami searching for her best friend (lover) Carim.

Dr. Jail "Loveless" Scaglietti as the villain with his strange steam-bots "Gadgets" and his clone harem personal guard "Numbers."

Lindy Harlaown as President of the United States of America

Except Yuuno. He gets to be "The Man with No Name."

*wanders off to watch more Sergio Leone*
Does this mean we'll get a spiffy music video too?

Oh! And Tempest, you got any plans for more Noland/Kaon stuff? I'm still waiting for some!
Old 2010-03-30, 22:35   Link #24058
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

You want more Noland/Kaon? I suppose I could post something I've been working on and off for a while.

That or the Noland/Keroko one...

Yeah, I haven't done much writing in MGLN. Damn you To Aru.
Old 2010-03-30, 22:39   Link #24059
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
You want more Noland/Kaon?
Yup! I don't know why, but they're the only OCs I like. I read them in that sleep over fic you did, and they just appealed to me
Old 2010-03-30, 22:40   Link #24060
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
I lost practically everyone that day. My mothers, my grandparents, and people I had considered my aunts and uncles… They had all vanished in an explosion that took the city block with it.
Um, grandparents? Do you mean Shiro and Momoko? And Kyouya and Miyuki? Because I can understand the people on Mid being blown away with a blast, but it doesn't make any sense for her to lose her relatives from Earth unless they all moved to Mid.

That's really my only serious critique, honestly. I still don't quite buy Yuuno sliding into madness and mistaking Vivio for Nanoha revived from the dead, but that's just me.

It's really good, though. Much improved from the first time around.

EDIT: Pageclaim for improvement!

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha