AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-09-11, 13:09   Link #1
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

My Life Me (Teen anime)

Has anyone ever heard of this new Animesque series?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DAehvy1PJc

Quote:
Synopsis from TV-Loonland:

Riding the wave of the worldwide success story of Manga comic books but with a completely new graphic look and off-beat effects, this animated sitcom is truly original. Driven by its characters and a healthy dose of comedy, My Life Me provides a privileged insight into tween life. The show follows budding comic book artist 13-year-old Birch Small, as she tries to strike a balance between her dreamy life in pictures and living in reality. Our main protagonists, Birch, Sandra, Raffi and Liam, didn't choose to be friends with each other, but were thrown together in their High School's 'Pod program' instead. As a result they all have to navigate new social terrain.' Through the use of black and white animated comic book panels representing the points of view of the characters, both the kids' reactions and the comedy are blown way out of proportion ! All sorts of original visual effects inspired by Manga comic books also allow expressing in a very visual and comedic way the extreme feelings tweens go through as indeed, an image is worth a thousand words ! Far from being picture-perfect, the lives of Birch and her three "Podmates", are still rough sketches. When they paint themselves into a corner they soon realize that, unlike in the comic-book world, you can't simply erase and start over in life, but you sure can add lots of color.

- Animation technique: Digital Hybrid 2D/3D
- Audience: 7-11 year olds
- Created by JC Little, Cindy Filipenko & Svetlana Chmakova
- Design by Svetlana Chmakova
- Directed by JC Little, co-directed by Nicolas Blard
After seeing the TV ads and some snippets about this show, I kinda like it. I also love the anime art style since it's being done by Dramacon's Svetlana Chmakova. I hope it airs at where i'm at.

My Life Me TV Looland website
My Life Me Official website
Animation Insider articles:
'My Life Me' Animation from TV-Loonland
'My Life Me' Animation Now in New Hands
Old 2010-09-11, 13:13   Link #2
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

I don't know...
American-ish anime?
I always cringe at the sight of it.
Nickelodeon is chalk full of this stuff.

Brrrr

*Edit*

Watched the trailer a couple of times.
For one, it almost looks like they stole Ikari Shinji (Neon Genesis Evangelion)'s character design for that guy in the blue shirt and they changed Asuka Langley's hairstyle for the blonde / redhead in the show.
The backgrounds look like they are made out of cardbord and seem lifeless (Most of the American "anime's" have this feature though)

Last edited by Kaze; 2010-09-11 at 13:26.
Kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 14:43   Link #3
Mute
エアコンを止めろ!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Mute
Ew terrible artwork/animation. Kill it..
Mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 15:04   Link #4
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Did I hear Laura Bailey in this one?
Old 2010-09-11, 15:11   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Did I hear Laura Bailey in this one?
If it's not her, it sure as hell sounded like her.
Old 2010-09-11, 17:20   Link #6
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
If it's not her, it sure as hell sounded like her.
Hell, for some reason voices sound really familiar. Obviously it's dubbed in LA, but they sound like the usual stalwarts you hear from other dubbed anime series.
Old 2010-09-11, 18:52   Link #7
sa547
*Author

It's up in my country, but I haven't seen it yet in full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
For one, it almost looks like they stole Ikari Shinji (Neon Genesis Evangelion)'s character design for that guy in the blue shirt and they changed Asuka Langley's hairstyle for the blonde / redhead in the show.
The backgrounds look like they are made out of cardbord and seem lifeless (Most of the American "anime's" have this feature though)
Seems that it's a trend for some studios to use Sadamoto's character design style, as I think it's more familiar.
Old 2010-09-11, 18:59   Link #8
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Hmm, it doesn't really interest me. US cartoon makers never really could capture the core of what makes a good anime. They're only good at editing and/or censoring it. T_T
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 19:06   Link #9
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

Please kill it with fire. Set it ablaze!

JUST KEEP IT AWAY FROM MEEE!
Repelsteeltju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 19:43   Link #10
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Jumping on the "bad animation" and "kill it with fire" bandwagon. Not seeing anything new, so if it wants my attention with bad animation, it has to do more than follow anime tropes.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 20:37   Link #11
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

The only cartoon that pulled off the "flash animation" style was samurai jack... he was such a badass.

This just looks like lazy art direction..

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 20:44   Link #12
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I really don't like to say bad things.... But... Please.... (Kill it with fire!)

I feel bad saying that..
Old 2010-09-11, 21:38   Link #13
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Looks like it can be interesting if I can remember to watch it
Old 2010-09-11, 21:53   Link #14
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
I don't know...
American-ish anime?
I always cringe at the sight of it.
Nickelodeon is chalk full of this stuff.

Brrrr

*Edit*

Canadian =/= American-ish.

Plotline looks bland, not to mention I'm not a fan of tweens' awkwardness and faux life dramas, but the art is interesting. I'd like to see some animation, I'm intrigued by the advertised mix of 2D and 3D, not to mention Svetlana's char designs don't look easy to animate.

The official website is stuck on one page and blares annoyingly loud music, anyone else getting that?

::edit::
Spoiler for trailer:

Ugh, not more unoriginal Flash animation... Def won't watch now...

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-09-12 at 05:58.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 22:08   Link #15
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

This one is also shown in Disney Channel Southeast Asia.

Actually, I don't have any qualms when it comes to the character design (I only complain about it when the series should be demonstrating a certain level of realism). It even coincides with the "sketchy" character profiles and "equally sketchy" plot.

Yes, French animation (like Marathon) is highly superior to this one, but I don't think it's trying to be at par with anything at this point.

Quote:
Hmm, it doesn't really interest me. US cartoon makers never really could capture the core of what makes a good anime. They're only good at editing and/or censoring it. T_T
Unfortunately, sometimes they are even bad at both editing and censorship. You know what happened to Yu-gi-oh! 5Ds when it was released in NorthAm, do you?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 23:34   Link #16
Kudryavka

Now that I think about it, what US animesque shows were bad? I think of Teen Titans and Avatar, but even though the former was a bit too "anime influenced", they were both awesome in their own right. Even Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi was halfway decent. Only animesque shows I know that suck are Kappa Mikey, that one show with the Chinatown teenage kung fu people, and this new show looks like, which were all made in Canada. I'm probably just forgetting, but what US animesque shows were actually bad (and actually American)?
Old 2010-09-11, 23:50   Link #17
Fome

Japanese animation isn't just a style--it's a production paradigm. The way Japanese anime is drawn and animated, stemming from a historically lower budget, is fundamentally different from the methods of most western studios. That is why you can't just make character designs with spikey hair, big wet eyes, small mouths, and pointy chins, and hope that it will resemble anime. It's the very animation tech that is different, more so than the character proportions. Even if there is a strong semblance in still shots, any person acquainted with anime will feel an uncomfortable disconnect as soon as the images start moving. To me, it's a kind of "uncanny valley" almost.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-12, 00:05   Link #18
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome View Post
Japanese animation isn't just a style--it's a production paradigm. The way Japanese anime is drawn and animated, stemming from a historically lower budget, is fundamentally different from the methods of most western studios. That is why you can't just make character designs with spikey hair, big wet eyes, small mouths, and pointy chins, and hope that it will resemble anime. It's the very animation tech that is different, more so than the character proportions. Even if there is a strong semblance in still shots, any person acquainted with anime will feel an uncomfortable disconnect as soon as the images start moving. To me, it's a kind of "uncanny valley" almost.
Yeah, animesque shows end up having much more actual animation than anime from Japan, probably why it looks different. Not just still faces and Clutch Cargo mouths (motionless chin).

I would honestly like to see a western show that accurately emulates Japanese animation, if that's what they're going for. Put more work into the art itself, and kinda let the animation slide past (something that My Life Me has failed at, especially the former).
Old 2010-09-12, 02:54   Link #19
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Maybe check out either Martin Mystery or Totally Spies! by Marathon. In my honest opinion, they join ATLA and Teen Titans among the top-notch animesque shows I've watched. There's also Shaolin Wuzang, but I dunno from which animation company that came from, but it's also up there in the animation quality scale.

I dunno about the WITCH TV Show, though. (But "This show is also notable for totally avoiding many tropes found in the action genre," according to TVTropes.)
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-12, 03:27   Link #20
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Ugh... my eyes! my ears! my mind!!!!

Animesque western animation is making my hearth bleed... okay I admit Teen Titan and Totally Spies were kinda tolerable.

But give me back the 80's and 90's series production qualities! With its distinct western animation, and all those awesomely great franco-japanese collaborations.