AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-03, 05:05   Link #19161
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Which'll make a Tais/Crash meeting an extremely profound and... destructive experience
This is one dynamic duo that really should not be. Never the twain shall meet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
Feh... I just got back from work, nursing an idea that should be made of purest awesome if I can execute this right.

MSLN's just lacking in the rediculously overexperienced and insanely powerful but underplayed old men.

So I think I'm going to toss in one:

Spoiler for OPSCOM: Martin TENTATIVE:

But if you drop out of the main TSAB interface at Abenobashi and enter:

Spoiler for c:\> CALLWORD > LIGHT:

Muahahahahaha... The AWESOME will flow.

Now, if you've not made the connections... I'll make it a little more obvious.

Spoiler for Research notes::

Spoiler for Tiger's commentary...:
We already have such OCs here already, please try again. As for the 'One Free HAXX' card, HELL NO!!!! Iirc, general consensus is that only villains get to be H4XX within reason. Heroic OCs should never exceed SS ranking except for extremely EXTREMELY well crafted OC with excellent and well written extensive profiles.

For your OC Martin, I don't think he will make the cut based on currently limited information. First off, I'm assuming he has a damaged linker core because he is powering the prototype Arc and that the Arc is full sized. If that's the case, frankly speaking, you can scrape off this ridiculous idea. No mage is that powerful. Period.

Second, the Arc is a spatial distortion type attack which destroys stuff via generating an annihilating reaction. It merely reducing seventh island of McGreggor Archipelligo to an Atol Ring now dubbed 'Sand Island'? Now that's a laugh. As state by Yuuno in the destruction radius of an Arc is at LEAST 100km. The Archipelago might not even be left let alone leaving an island. Not to mention if such a shot is fired, the resultant tsunamis would have caused tremendous amounts of damage to coastal areas.

Lastly what purpose would such an OC serve except as a bomb? How would he interact with other OCs? Just my $0.02 cheers
Old 2008-02-03, 05:31   Link #19162
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Which'll make a Tais/Crash meeting an extremely profound and... destructive experience
So Chrono isn't gonna have to worry about just Riot 6 going zenryu zenkai and destroying the dimension as a side-effect...

Quote:

All we need to do is to feed them some crack, and watch them evolve into Super Sentai extraordinaires

*runs*
*begins pumping crack gas*

But who invented crack gas anyway? Not me.
Quote:
Kha = Hell Boy?

You'd need to usurp the position from Mai's favorite target USB first
The caped crack that Ai pwnz?

If I'm Hell Boy, I'd love to be about 6 feet tall, have shaved horns, a pair of really big revolvers and most of all, a God-fearing Catholic.

Hell Boy 2 is coming out this year!

*runs*

Quote:
All she needs it a VA change... although I can do that plausibly through a process called aging...

12-17 year old Mai = Mamiko Noto
18 and older = Rie Kugimiya?

*runs faster*
As one grows older, one may change...

APPROVED!

*runs*

Quote:
Ooops, paperwork slip there Taiyo?

If more crack like that continues seeping in, Veda's input might become permanently corrupted...

We Begin The Armed Intervention to All Warfare with...

SUPER SENTAI!!!!

*RUNS*
Real Sentai makes an appearance, but Vader has begun to make changes to plans...

*hides crack Cleric-knight Sentai Henshin into Vex-suits*

*RUNS*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiji Tabibito View Post
Well, let me explain.

Technically, the 82nd is available @ any time during StrikerS...I just used CrosyS as a convenient entry point into the series.

This is gonna be REALLY complicated...

When I was getting the 82nd involved initially, I had no way for them to be present on MC and the nearby worlds - since the RAF's major purview are NAWs on the frontier. Therefore, I used the Necron crisis to allow for a "recall" of the 82nd to MC, and thus introduce them into the StrikerS storyline.

HOWEVER...

With what you've described, it's different.

The 82nd could be assigned by the RAF (a division of the Diplomacy Corps) to officially investigate the matter on Earth. Thus, for any setting NOT involving MC, they are available from minute 1 of StrikerS.

So yes, I want them involved.

And they DO investigate smuggling - the 82nd is the RAF All-Purpose Squad.

Another Quick Note:

Feel free to use any of the upgrades I've given the Phantasms thus far (Arcas receiving Apalis; Aurion Dauer giving Boomer's Elsior SEED-style Gunbarrels and Sevasti Magnum Cartridges), but do NOT use any upgrade introduced AFTER StrikerS. These include: Mel's Reality Marble (Fields of Hope), Arcas' Dunamist abilities, and so on.

You get all that?

All clear, just one thing: Could I have Mel learn Fields of Hope earlier, like somewhere in time for the Battle of Cradle? Kha needs learn of FoH in order to solve the puzzle of the Reality Marbles and defeat epic!Jail at the end of StrikerS. Cos Kha can easily Trace the RM off of her instead of having to learn it from scratch.

Another method if the above is not possible is that Kha meets the person or finds the scripture detailing the existence of Fields of Hope. Which will take longer time to learn, and hence will have to appear even earlier in the series to be in time.

Which do you prefer? Just checking for artistic licence.

Quote:
Inspired by 00's Setsunaisms

My favorite 00 inspired meme would be yesterday's kissing madness

WHAAAT?!

*waits eagerly for subs*
Quote:
... so the writer of Les Miserables' also created the Arc-En-Ciel system?

*runs*
I'm surprised no one pointed out the Arc~en~Ciel is also a top-secret Neutral-controled WMD disguised as a monument in the middle of Paris as well.

Quote:
And Admiral Tigerclaw, I think this image might interest you, if you're looking for a good base image of Fox to use:

Spoiler for Whatcha think?:

I'd love to see Fox and one of Kay's children meet...

Old 2008-02-03, 06:13   Link #19163
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshouryuu View Post
This is one dynamic duo that really should not be. Never the twain shall meet...
But it'll be EXPLOSIVE!

Wait, that's exactly it isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
So Chrono isn't gonna have to worry about just Riot 6 going zenryu zenkai and destroying the dimension as a side-effect...

At least Tsuzuki now has a backup Guinea Pig in case something happens to Tais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha
*begins pumping crack gas*

But who invented crack gas anyway? Not me.
*whistles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha
The caped crack that Ai pwnz?

If I'm Hell Boy, I'd love to be about 6 feet tall, have shaved horns, a pair of really big revolvers and most of all, a God-fearing Catholic.

Hell Boy 2 is coming out this year!

*runs*

I don't think even THAT Hellboy's gonna be a match for Ai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha
As one grows older, one may change...

APPROVED!

*runs*
For better or worse, you decide

On the one hand, Mai's dere factor will increase as she grows older... on the other hand, so does her yan by an equivalent amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha
Real Sentai makes an appearance, but Vader has begun to make changes to plans...

*hides crack Cleric-knight Sentai Henshin into Vex-suits*

*RUNS*

Spoiler for As long as I can hang on to this concept of Super Sentai Madness...:

*RUNS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha

WHAAAT?!

*waits eagerly for subs*
Spoiler for Episode 17 and 4ch:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha
I'm surprised no one pointed out the Arc~en~Ciel is also a top-secret Neutral-controled WMD disguised as a monument in the middle of Paris as well.

Shall we get those Tesla Troopers to light it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha
I'd love to see Fox and one of Kay's children meet...

Fox: ...
Asuka: ...

Both: WHY DO YOU LOOK LIKE ME?!?!?!?!?!

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2008-02-03, 06:45   Link #19164
arkhangelsk

Not really a CharCreation thread member but...

Quote:
We already have such OCs here already, please try again. As for the 'One Free HAXX' card, HELL NO!!!! Iirc, general consensus is that only villains get to be H4XX within reason. Heroic OCs should never exceed SS ranking except for extremely EXTREMELY well crafted OC with excellent and well written extensive profiles.
Is that really a SS ranking though? To me, it sounds like he's really a D character, with a single SS shot left in him.

For someone who is "best of his generation" or even "top 10", a SS+-rank is indeed about correct. Does this thread already have another "best of his generation" in this candidate's age group.

Quote:
For your OC Martin, I don't think he will make the cut based on currently limited information. First off, I'm assuming he has a damaged linker core because he is powering the prototype Arc and that the Arc is full sized. If that's the case, frankly speaking, you can scrape off this ridiculous idea. No mage is that powerful. Period.
Why would the Arc be full sized? Isn't it more reasonable that they'll try to dimensionally distort a small area as a proof of concept, say a 1km diameter circle at first before working up to the full sized thing? Given the performance of Hraesvelgr at S, I'll be willing to grant that a SS core, by expending its entire Unit of Fire, could destroy a 1 sq km or thereabouts.

To make it official, perhaps Tigerclaw could add a diagram that officially locks the size of the destructive circle for the approval process?

Quote:
Lastly what purpose would such an OC serve except as a bomb? How would he interact with other OCs? Just my $0.02 cheers
It sounds like he'll just be interacting like a General that's a D-rank mage. It is likely that many of the younger test unit upstarts who are AAA or S themselves (and who know nothing about him) treat him with semi-silent contempt and wonder how the f*** such a wimp could become their boss. In fact, there is every chance that he'll be killed before he can decide to take off all his seals and make that one final attack.
Old 2008-02-03, 07:19   Link #19165
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Spoiler for Trailer:

Last edited by dkellis; 2008-02-03 at 07:43.
Old 2008-02-03, 07:25   Link #19166
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

@Aaron: Good luck, and be back soon! I have some updates ready.

@Thread: Out of curiosity, I have a military-related question to ask again, and hopefully it won't be breaching on secret protocols or something like last time. Anyway, is it customary (or compulsory, for that matter) that, after every mission, whether it failed or succeeded, be followed up by a report by the appropriate team immediately after they return from mission? I mean, if it had been a terribly harrowing day for the said team, could the commander postpone oral report until after he deems it is necessary (taking into account that he understands his personnel were tired, etc.)? Thanks in advance to anyone answering this.

P/S: Been out of touch for so long, it's a bit strange to be posting again. Needed to get used to the interface again .

======

Status Report
Chapter Six
Word Count: 2.8K (~6 - 8%)
Bluecheese Indicator: Blue
ETA: Coming soon (lol).
Old 2008-02-03, 08:01   Link #19167
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Spoiler for Trailer:

For a short preview, the tale of two brother's tainted love over a lady is certainly a CLASSIC, yet so profoundly epic as well. Like how you made the actual events ambigious, as per most myths and legends

Looking forward to the rest of Lyrical Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
@Thread: Out of curiosity, I have a military-related question to ask again, and hopefully it won't be breaching on secret protocols or something like last time. Anyway, is it customary (or compulsory, for that matter) that, after every mission, whether it failed or succeeded, be followed up by a report by the appropriate team immediately after they return from mission? I mean, if it had been a terribly harrowing day for the said team, could the commander postpone oral report until after he deems it is necessary (taking into account that he understands his personnel were tired, etc.)? Thanks in advance to anyone answering this.
A debriefing is always mandatory after each mission, no matter the outcome. It's an integral part of the process of assessing the actions performed on that mission for future reference. Moreso if the mission ended in failure, where the mistakes and errors have to be found and the appropriate remediating steps and corrections taken.

If I remember from my dad's files correctly, debriefs should be performed no more than 24 hours after the incident, thus giving the party enough time to collect their thoughts.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2008-02-03, 08:04   Link #19168
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It's been a while, hasn't it? I'm sorry for my prolonged absence, but I had to face a little thing called 'exam projects' which meant, for me, that I had to make a movie of my own. Nothing wrong with that, but since I do a multimedia course, that means the emphasis lies on effects.

And as such, I was rotoscoping 3000 something frames to add in nice lightsaber effects, which gulps down time like there is no tommorow and is extremely tiring.

On a more positive note, I was one of the very few (as in 8 out of 30) who passed.

Recovery time was mostly spend re-watching hunter X hunter and having the mind boggle at the similarities between Nanoha magic and Nen.

I hope you'll excuse me if I don't reply to everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
well i have a lot doing, since I'm moving/downgrading my base of operations from the massive Outer Cadian Facility to a Quaint, Cozy and Peaceful Neo-Venezian Workshop in Calle Fantasia.

And such this profile will be the last item produced from the Outer Cadian Facility.

-profile snip-
Woot! Bridget arives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
I thought of 3 timelines:

1. Original timeline that had Kha dodging Ion Canon like mad, and Keroko being Nanoha's closest cousin instead of sister. In this timeline, Tesla might not exist.

2. Keroko's vision of the timeline, with events mirroring canon except for insertions.

3. My take on 2, factoring what Keroko's more prominent existence as Nanoha's sister would've changed in the entire timeline. I've tried my best to remain true to Keroko's summaries, but where there are gaps, I have fun. As such, 3 can be exactly like 2, but due to all the additional stuff I added to make the deal sweeter and more feasible, 3 would resemble nothing like 1.
If you face gaps, ask ahead, I'll do my best to fill them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
  • I'm busy running some MAJOR overhauls in Aurion's profile as by doing some MAJOR de-HAXXing. (HAXXbusters cheer)
  • I'm planning on scrapping some more outragous ideas as well as making a more believable back-story for the Perfect Void (Universally fatal threat? Not any more.XD) in order to make it more feasible to the general public.
  • Also running ideas on how to bring about the Aurion vs. Hayate mock battle.
  • Planning out some MORE OC's.
  • Trying to inject an attempt at EPIC in one scene.
  • Conceptualizing the *beeeeeeeeeeep* in one scenario.
  • Revamping the spell list.
  • Doing even more powering down for some elements.
  • Inserting some scenes of the Perfect Void Incident in backflashes.
  • Scrapping the excessive referencing in my new OC's.
  • Contemplating on how to referecne Saga and the OFM in GenerationS.
  • Thinking of how to first insert Tk's OC's.
  • Thinking of proper tactics to use.
  • Thinking of how to 'believably' HAXX Luozorl further.
  • Thinking of Whether to add more ideas for Tyrfing.
  • Thinking of adding some familiars.
  • Thinking of adding some more OC's from others if possible.
  • Conceptualizing the final battle in a blievable light.
  • Making Hayate's performance believeable.
  • Changing the name and the concepts of the Bookmark System.
  • Offering some nostalgia for the Tome of the night Sky.
  • Thinking of a Tesla+Agito unison.
  • Thinking of a Hayate+Agito Unison...
Wow, that certainly is a lot.

And... Tesla+Agito unision? *starts to think of the possibilities*

Quote:
Speaking of references, I've FINALLY found a good base of Aurion's Takehito Koyasu voice. He should sound like this guy.

*RUNS*
Hooh? Nagi, huh? Well, they do have a few resemblances in personallity after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
He'll make his escape - Signum can't catch him once he starts running like hell because he's been trained in escape and evasion. Of course... there's still Tesla and Keroko out there...
Only Tesla me thinks. Keroko is on the same level of friendship with Hayate as Fate and Nanoha, which means that if she gets involved, so do the other two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
You should see him in combat. He claims to hate fighting and isn't a fighter... but fifteen years playing dodge the dissaster on a daily basis has left him with reflexes and quick thinking that will impress even the Aces. (Not that he's got any chance of winning.)

I better get my shower done and get to work.
He has to do better that that to impress Keroko, who has been through a similar situation. Street fighting at a very young age tends to increase ones reflexes (in fact, reflexes are Keroko's primairy defense).

Quote:
EXCUSE ME, Mr. Napoleon-Bonerhead.

With your oh-so-superior-to-all memory, you should realize that I made Aurion MONTHS before I even heard of Negima! How can I base him of someone I don't even know? similarities notwithstanding, Aurion's attitude framework is entirely my own idea.

That's it. Congratulations, Reiji, for once again unintentionally insulting me and my OC's. As a creator, I find your statement very derogatory. I'll say it this once, Aurion's, or any of my OCs' character attitudes are the element that I take pride in the most. If you say something like, "You just based him of this-and-that.", I'll take it very personally. I DO NOT WANT my more unique characters to be based on somebody by attitude because of copypasta. I may do copypasta for every other elements, but my characters' individual personalities are strictly my own(except when I do reference port-over characters like Brevis, Cressida, Vinson or Liana). When you see similarities with characters from other series, it's strictly coincidence since I NEVER thought of any character other than my own individual OC's when I made them. Hope my point got accross.
Aside from that, Aurion and Nagi are hardly copies. Sure, they have a similarity or two (such as being extremely obnoxious at times) but Nagi is very impulsive and hardly 'intelligent.' He hardly ever thinks things through and even as an adult he still needs to recite spells from a notebook.

Quote:
Under Whose Emperor?!

My authority comes from the God Empress of the Holy Belka Imperalium herself!

*runs*

She really hasn't made an appearance here in the thread where she spawned hasn't she?
In a word: Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagerou View Post
meh I think I got half of those.

And from what I recall, "Where is your God now?" is a 4chan meme.

And also, posting a piece of Alpha for you guys to tear apart. Goose found no problems with it, but I want a second (third? fourth?) opinion. Once I finish an episode, I'll post the completed thing in the fanfiction thread.

Spoiler for MSLN Alpha, Chapter One: My Magical Incantation... Scene I:

My biggest question for you guys: What do you think Vivio will be like as a 14-year old? I'm playing it safe and showing very little of a personality right now other than just being a teenager, but as the story continues I'll be showing more of it. I'm guessing some mix of Nanoha and Fate, along with typical teenage mannerisms thrown in for good measure.

And also, Syn Virage isn't my creation. She's one of Keroko's OCs that was posted pages ago.
Now this is a pleasant 'welcome back' present. Seeing Syn used in action before I even properly finished her bio.

Now lets see... this is mostly my fault for not finishing up loose ends and portraying a few examples, but there are a few things I would like to say about Syn. First, while she has a sharp tongue, she does not threaten friends with physical violence, so treatening Vivio to 'drag her out' instead of 'punching her in the face' would have been better. The insulting of Vivio was also slightly misplaced, Syn has better timing then that.

Credit where credit is due, though, the reaction to the kid who was talking about them behind their backs was spot-on. As was her being suportive of Vivio despite how often she has heard the tale.

But most importantly, you laid down the base of making Syn to Vivio what Fate is to Nanoha, which is exactly what I had in mind when I created her.

Quote:
Spoiler for Trailer:
This is one of those trailers that makes one very curious because you dont have the full picture. More please!

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-02-03 at 09:00.
Old 2008-02-03, 08:11   Link #19169
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
A debriefing is always mandatory after each mission, no matter the outcome. It's an integral part of the process of assessing the actions performed on that mission for future reference. Moreso if the mission ended in failure, where the mistakes and errors have to be found and the appropriate remediating steps and corrections taken.

If I remember from my dad's files correctly, debriefs should be performed no more than 24 hours after the incident, thus giving the party enough time to collect their thoughts.
Roger! I know debriefing is mandatory, just not sure whether it's customarily done directly after the mission or not. I was thinking that if the troops had had a bad day (e.g.: failure ), they should be given some time off to cool down and gather whatever information is necessary for the debriefing. I'm giving Hayate and company a brief rest of 8 - 10 hours before they make a report to Chrono. Signum needed all the mental preparation she could get. This should be all right, yes?
Old 2008-02-03, 08:11   Link #19170
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
It's been a while, hasn't it? I'm sorry for my prolonged absence, but I had to face a little thing called 'exam projects' which meant, for me, that I had to make a movie of my own. Nothing wrong with that, but since I do a multimedia course, that means the emphasis lies on effects.

And as such, I was rotoscoping 3000 something frames to add in nice lightsaber effects, which gulps down time like there is no tommorow and is extremely tiring.

On a more positive note, I was one of the very few (as in 8 out of 30) who passed.
And he's back

Congratulations on passing that exam, maybe you can show us the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko
Recovery time was mostly spend re-watching hunter X hunter and having the mind boggle at the similarities between Nanoha magic and Nen.
I think Erio covered that point with me very well And the similarities are startling In fact, you could adapt most of the theories and applications of Nen into Nanoha without much change

Quote:
Roger! I know debriefing is mandatory, just not sure whether it's customarily done directly after the mission or not. I was thinking that if the troops had had a bad day (e.g.: failure ), they should be given some time off to cool down and gather whatever information is necessary for the debriefing. I'm giving Hayate and company a brief rest of 8 - 10 hours before they make a report to Chrono. Signum needed all the mental preparation she could get. This should be all right, yes?
That's why they're given a maximum of 24 hours for that task: Enough time to rest their spirits and get their wits together, and yet soon enough that the memories of the incident remain fresh in their minds enough to make an accurate report. 8-10 hours should be alot of time to perform such a task.

Old 2008-02-03, 08:13   Link #19171
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Is that really a SS ranking though? To me, it sounds like he's really a D character, with a single SS shot left in him.

For someone who is "best of his generation" or even "top 10", a SS+-rank is indeed about correct. Does this thread already have another "best of his generation" in this candidate's age group.
As far as I know there isn't a "best of his generation". The fact he wants to label a OC as such is ringing a warning bell of impending "Mary-Sueness" to me, add to that he mention that the OC has a "Infer Cannoniser" which no one knows about is ringing those bells louder...

Quote:
Why would the Arc be full sized? Isn't it more reasonable that they'll try to dimensionally distort a small area as a proof of concept, say a 1km diameter circle at first before working up to the full sized thing? Given the performance of Hraesvelgr at S, I'll be willing to grant that a SS core, by expending its entire Unit of Fire, could destroy a 1 sq km or thereabouts.

To make it official, perhaps Tigerclaw could add a diagram that officially locks the size of the destructive circle for the approval process?
I'll answer you with this question, why would the prototype Arc need to be using a mage to provide the power and fire it on an island when said prototype can be mounted and attached to a generator and programmed to shoot a target in space, preventing both damage to mage and land. I would think a SS class mage is more valuable than a generator and shooting rocks in space is better than shooting at an island.
Quote:
It sounds like he'll just be interacting like a General that's a D-rank mage. It is likely that many of the younger test unit upstarts who are AAA or S themselves (and who know nothing about him) treat him with semi-silent contempt and wonder how the f*** such a wimp could become their boss. In fact, there is every chance that he'll be killed before he can decide to take off all his seals and make that one final attack.
I'll go out on a limb and said that Tigerclaw just wants an excuse to have the ability to erase something he doesn't like by sacrificing a worthless OC which is masked as something "cool". No offense Tigerclaw, but that's the impression I got from your OC so far.
Quote:
@Aaron: Good luck, and be back soon! I have some updates ready.

P/S: Been out of touch for so long, it's a bit strange to be posting again. Needed to get used to the interface again .

======

Status Report
Chapter Six
Word Count: 2.8K (~6 - 8%)
Bluecheese Indicator: Blue
ETA: Coming soon (lol).
I'm not sure so don't take my word on it, but I think you don't have to immediately give the report. What's the point of getting a report of a tired soldier whose report might not be accurate?
Old 2008-02-03, 09:39   Link #19172
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

This is 1 and 1/2 hour late, and thus probably useless. No thanks to my mom, who hogged my computer for that amount of time to write a 200 word email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
On topic to the Jacks, I've been wondering about how to outline the idea for a Rifle Device. Since I know jack about firearms, how should I go about to create one that's suited for say sniping or the conventional rapid-fire type?
Quote:
Need to be more specific than that, since I can give you ideas for a sniper rifle, a heavy machinegun, light machine gun, submachine gun, machinepistol, or hybrid weapons
As Lowe says, it depends on what you're using the system for.

Sniping weapons have high accuraccy, but that's about the only thing that sniping weapons have in common. Military sniper rifles need to be light and rugged, since military snipers will be on foot, travelling all over the place. Police sniper rifles can be heavier and less rugged, more sensitve, since they'll be kept in cases most of the time.

Sniper rifles have high accuraccy and range. On the other hand, they tend to have drawbacks; rate of fire isn't that good, you can't exactly shoot on the move, and it's quite possible that if you only know how to shoot and not how to snipe, you'll be doing a No-no like Deici: standing to fire her cannon. Snipers will crouch or go prone when shooting (unless the wall they're using for cover is so high they HAVE to stand).

Heavy Machineguns have good firepower and fearsome rate of fire. They also have a lots of recoil, and it's generally inadvisable to go full auto on them, as you will not hit anything (reccommended ROF is 60 rounds per minute on the M2 .50cal or short burst). They tend to be a bitch to carry and move with, and are used as vehicle or stationary weapons.

Submachineguns are automatic weapons like the MAC-10, Uzi or the MP5; they fire pistol rounds at high rate of fire, and are smaller and much, much lighter than rifles or carbines (which explains why SEALs tasked with maritime takedown missions use MP5s). Advantages are light weight and easy controllability; disadvantages include lower stopping power and range.

A machine pistol is basically a pistol that as a full auto mode, like the Czech Skorpion. Generally, machine pistols are crap; the only machine pistol you shoud go for is the Maschinenpistolen Funf, aka MP5, made by Heckler & Kock. (Which is more properly classed as an SMG. The Germans use machine pistol to refer to any SMG; Machine pistol is commonly understood to be a pistol pretending to be an SMG.)

Hybrid weapons: M16A4/M203 grenade launcher combo, M4A1/M203 combo, etc etc. Shoulder weapon, typically a rifle or a carbine, with an underbarrel grenade launcher - although Delta operator SFC Paul Howe used a shotgun with his M4A1. You have both a rifle and a GL; disadvantage is that it's heavier and you're carrying more crap.

Quote:
Spoiler for Whatcha think?:
Loli draft Asuka is LOVE She's so deredere and vulnerable in this, it makes me want to pick her up and give her a hug and wipe her tears away... and toss her off to Kyou for some tsuntsun oneechan-ing and Nagisa and Sanae for more loving. ^___^

Quote:
Quote:

Lowe's got most of it right ; I'll expand from there, digging up from what I've read and researched on how things happen:

1. The first stage in the debriefing process is what is called the "Hot Wash" - at least, by American forces. This is where everyone comes in and does an oral critique of what happened, what went wrong, what went right, etc etc. When this takes place is normally at the discretion of the CO and unit styles, but generally you want to do it within the first 24 hours. For example, Rangers will do their hot wash immediately; according to CSM (Ret) E.L. Haney, Delta lets you sleep first, then hot wash. SEALs also tend to do the hot wash immediately, then rest. The idea of the hot wash is that it's a quick preliminary debriefing, a recap of what happens.

2. After the hot wash, you go and catch some sleep and food. Then, you go, get interviewed again on what happened - because there's the chance that you may remember something you'd forgotten.

3. Third step is the writing of the AAR: After Action Report. This is your account and report of what happened, warts and all, good and bad; your personal AAR will be filed up with the mission documentation. There will be both a main AAR written by the brass on the mission, and the individual AARs written by those woh participated in the battle; to give an example, there are at least 3 AARs on the Battle of Magadishu, written by USAF Technical Sergeant Dan Schilling, Delta Force Sergeant First Class Paul Howe, and SEAL Chief John Gay (I am not making up the last name. A side piece of trivia: Gay and 3 other SEALs from SEAL Team Six/DEVGRU were in the Lost Convoy, and Gay took a bullet to the hip. The bullet hit his combat knife, shattering the blade, but he lived and wasn't paralysed. One of those SEALs was a Lieutanant Commander Eric T. Olsen, now Admiral Eric T. Olsen, Commanding Officer USSOCOM.) These individual AARs are in addition to the overall AAR prepared by Task Force Ranger's staff.

4. Final debrief and evaluation. Everyone gathers together, they all go through the mission one last time, and then the brass evaluates what went right, what could have been done better, and so on. Depending on the unit and the brass, this may be fairly interactive. (In the recollections of Captain Mike Steele, Delta Force planning and debrief sessions have a great deal of Fuck Yous thrown around, with ever rising hot blood and adrenalin until it appeared as if everyone's ready to fight each other. )

5. AARs are collected and the Brass finishes up on the main AAR that gives an overview of the whole mission.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Well, looks definately interesting. Can't wait to see more!
Quote:
I'm not sure so don't take my word on it, but I think you don't have to immediately give the report. What's the point of getting a report of a tired soldier whose report might not be accurate?
The idea of the hot wash is that you get the basic first impressions of the soldiers, which are then used as your first draft. Then you send them to sleep and get some food, they come back refreshed, and then you redo the debriefing. The reason it's called Hot Wash is because you're stepping right from the heat of battle, where the memory is the freshest. SEALs are firm believers in immediate hot wash and debriefing, though this is probably due to the fact that SEALs deal with highly time-sensitive intelligence.

Quote:
That's why they're given a maximum of 24 hours for that task: Enough time to rest their spirits and get their wits together, and yet soon enough that the memories of the incident remain fresh in their minds enough to make an accurate report. 8-10 hours should be alot of time to perform such a task.
To expand further, and to repeat, whether they get the resting time depends on the whole process. As I've mentioned above, debriefing isn't just a one-off thing: there's the hot wash and then further reports.

To sum up, process is as follows: Immediate hot wash, rest & food, 2nd debrief & interview, AAR writing, final debriefing. Normally the first few steps will take place withing 24 hours (Hot wash, 2nd debrief, AAR writing). The Final debrief and overall command-level AAR will normally show up within 48-72 hours, to give time for all the other aspects to be sorted through and checked.

Quote:
To pull an example from the Battle of Mogadishu (mainly because it's the most recent that sticks in my mind), the hot wash was conducted within several hours after the Rangers and Deltas were recovered and the wounded were treated. Once they did their hot wash, they got some rest, but then after that did another debrief and wrote their individual AARs, which where then compiled as part of a main document brief (there is an official AAR for the Battle of Mogadishu, which was among the sources used by Bowden when writing Black Hawk Down; the AARs written by Schilling, Howe and Gay were also of great importance and relevance. Which just goes to show that while troops may hate AARs, they're useful.)

Also, if it's really, really really serious and/or time sensitive, Hayate will need to cut her time alot. Garrison was on the phone to SOCOM and the President less than an hour after the final wounded had come in, reporting the mission results. Perhaps something like, "Sir, we got our asses kicked, and will give you the AAR in 8 hours time."

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2008-02-03 at 10:16.
Old 2008-02-03, 10:16   Link #19173
arkhangelsk

Quote:
As far as I know there isn't a "best of his generation". The fact he wants to label a OC as such is ringing a warning bell of impending "Mary-Sueness" to me, add to that he mention that the OC has a "Infer Cannoniser" which no one knows about is ringing those bells louder...
He can add personality traits all he wants, but he's still a D-rank except for that one time; and he risks that "one time" being so offensive the rest of the board pretends it did not happen

Quote:
I'll answer you with this question, why would the prototype Arc need to be using a mage to provide the power and fire it on an island when said prototype can be mounted and attached to a generator and programmed to shoot a target in space, preventing both damage to mage and land. I would think a SS class mage is more valuable than a generator and shooting rocks in space is better than shooting at an island.
Technology limit at the time? It is clear that even now, magitech does not provide all the flexibility of a human being.

Or perhaps that was part of the test - to see whether the Arcenciel attack can be done on a small scale by humans. In that case, the test revealed that a mage, even the "best of a generation" cannot control things well enough to prevent crippling damage to the linker core. That's when Arcenciel became limited to shipboard deployment.

Quote:
I'll go out on a limb and said that Tigerclaw just wants an excuse to have the ability to erase something he doesn't like by sacrificing a worthless OC which is masked as something "cool". No offense Tigerclaw, but that's the impression I got from your OC so far.
Well, if that happens, I'm sure the thread can excise whatever he wrote and either/or ban him, ignore him, or stop him from creating another character.

I don't know, but AFAIK this is Tigerclaw's first character, so maybe a little benefit of the doubt is appropriate. But ... Thread's Choice.
Old 2008-02-03, 10:33   Link #19174
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
The idea of the hot wash is that you get the basic first impressions of the soldiers, which are then used as your first draft. Then you send them to sleep and get some food, they come back refreshed, and then you redo the debriefing. The reason it's called Hot Wash is because you're stepping right from the heat of battle, where the memory is the freshest. SEALs are firm believers in immediate hot wash and debriefing, though this is probably due to the fact that SEALs deal with highly time-sensitive intelligence.
Thanks for enlightening the ignorant me
Quote:
He can add personality traits all he wants, but he's still a D-rank except for that one time; and he risks that "one time" being so offensive the rest of the board pretends it did not happen

Technology limit at the time? It is clear that even now, magitech does not provide all the flexibility of a human being.

Or perhaps that was part of the test - to see whether the Arcenciel attack can be done on a small scale by humans. In that case, the test revealed that a mage, even the "best of a generation" cannot control things well enough to prevent crippling damage to the linker core. That's when Arcenciel became limited to shipboard deployment.

Well, if that happens, I'm sure the thread can excise whatever he wrote and either/or ban him, ignore him, or stop him from creating another character.

I don't know, but AFAIK this is Tigerclaw's first character, so maybe a little benefit of the doubt is appropriate. But ... Thread's Choice.
His second I believe, I think he got one called Crash. Anyway, we have to see how he does it, there's simply not enough info atm. Like you said, we can always chop it down later.
Old 2008-02-03, 10:47   Link #19175
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

What I'm more concerned about is not so much the 'SS reduced to D' (though that does raise a few alarm bells) but more the 'S-rank at 10'

Nanoha and co are the cream of the crop as far as we know. They were labelled extraordinary for being AAA rank at the age of nine, and this guy was S-rank at ten? That means he is leauges beyond the Aces, and not just because of his age.

That, and I believe it was establised long ago that Arc en Ciel was far beyond SS-rank in terms of power. To have an SS-rank shoot of blasts of similar levels as the Arc (an entire island? Just how big was that island?) would be screwing over what little system we have.
Old 2008-02-03, 11:05   Link #19176
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

On the subject of the Arc: didn't someone somewhere list it as SSS in rank?

Also, on further reflection, Hayate is simply not a good yardstick for measuring power and performance. She's an SS-ranked mage geared almost exclusively towards bormbardment spells. That will seriously, seriously skew the whole system of measuring firepower.

But there is no way I will accept SS-rank as being capable of firing the Arc~en~Ciel. NO ONE has that kind of firepower.

Also, regards to SS; note that the Aces only hit S when they were in their early teens. Nanoha was considered an unbelievable freak for being AAA at nine; Teana refused to believe such things were possible at first.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-02-03, 11:11   Link #19177
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Not officially as far as I recall, I believe we only labeled Arc as SSS because we don't have anything higher, but concidering the Arc is not a human-manned weapon, we can't really use the human labels for it. In my opinion the Arc is more powerfull then SSS, not only because of the power, but also because of the effect. The Arc en Ciel generates a spacial distortion followed by a subsequent anihalation of anything within the effective range, no mage should be able to create spacial distortions of that magnitude, period.
Old 2008-02-03, 11:12   Link #19178
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
What I'm more concerned about is not so much the 'SS reduced to D' (though that does raise a few alarm bells) but more the 'S-rank at 10'

Nanoha and co are the cream of the crop as far as we know. They were labelled extraordinary for being AAA rank at the age of nine, and this guy was S-rank at ten? That means he is leauges beyond the Aces, and not just because of his age.

That, and I believe it was establised long ago that Arc en Ciel was far beyond SS-rank in terms of power. To have an SS-rank shoot of blasts of similar levels as the Arc (an entire island? Just how big was that island?) would be screwing over what little system we have.
Let's pretend it is a small island. Really small.

As for AAA vs S.

NanohaWiki suggests that Hayate was S ten years ago.

One has to take into account how untrained the aces were when they had their first tests taken. Nanoha and Hayate are newbies. Even Fate received an extremely narrowly specialized education.

If you took someone with similar raw talent or maybe just an inch lower and gave him a relatively ("relatively" because it is only 2 years long) proper education like Yunno, you might be able to increase the flexibility to the point that his aggregate coefficient touches S at 10.

The qualification might even have gone like this:
Instructor: "Duel with me, a S-ranked mage. Do well and I'll certify you for S-rank."
Martin "Fine."
Martin takes up a position about 300m from the target and shoots him with a rifle-shaped device. He gains a first-round hit. The surprised instructor, unable to believe a shot can be made at that distance, goes down before he can even raise a shield.

Five minutes later:
Instructor (recovers): "I don't believe it! You are too far away! How did you shoot me from that distance?"
Martin thinks: It is because I used a rifle, dipsh*t. And I fired in an effectively prone position.
Martin says: "Practice, sir, practice." (Ed: He didn't LIE here. You do need some practice to shoot to 300m. But...)
Instructor: "Brilliant! You must have a rare ability at long-range engagements! You are hereby qualified for S-rank."
Martin: "Thank you sir!" (thinks) Man, these people really don't know zip. I think I'll volunteer for the Test Division so I don't die in the front line under such incompetent seniors...
Old 2008-02-03, 11:18   Link #19179
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Let's pretend it is a small island. Really small.

As for AAA vs S.

NanohaWiki suggests that Hayate was S ten years ago.

One has to take into account how untrained the aces were when they had their first tests taken. Nanoha and Hayate are newbies. Even Fate received an extremely narrowly specialized education.

If you took someone with similar raw talent or maybe just an inch lower and gave him a relatively ("relatively" because it is only 2 years long) proper education like Yunno, you might be able to increase the flexibility to the point that his aggregate coefficient touches S at 10.

The qualification might even have gone like this:
Instructor: "Duel with me, a S-ranked mage. Do well and I'll certify you for S-rank."
Martin "Fine."
Martin takes up a position about 300m from the target and shoots him with a rifle-shaped device. He gains a first-round hit. The surprised instructor, unable to believe a shot can be made at that distance, goes down before he can even raise a shield.

Five minutes later:
Instructor (recovers): "I don't believe it! You are too far away! How did you shoot me from that distance?"
Martin thinks: It is because I used a rifle, dipsh*t. And I fired in an effectively prone position.
Martin says: "Practice, sir, practice." (Ed: He didn't LIE here. You do need some practice to shoot to 300m. But...)
Instructor: "Brilliant! You must have a rare ability at long-range engagements! You are hereby qualified for S-rank."
Martin: "Thank you sir!" (thinks) Man, these people really don't know zip. I think I'll volunteer for the Test Division so I don't die in the front line under such incompetent seniors...
The A's Manga indicates that certification testing is a LOT more complicated than that - Keroko, we need you and Silver Retriever again...

I recall mentions of Fate being tested in other areas, not just combat skills, though duel with Chrono was the last part of the testing phase.

Also, the above senario is why the Order of Freelance Mages is not afraid of mages and Enforcers. Which is why Joint Training will not end happily for them. (Four words. Jet Magnum. Starlight Breaker.)

Psycho and Leena, having likings for plasma grenades, would try to stuff the grenades down the mage's barrier jacket.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-02-03, 11:25   Link #19180
arkhangelsk

Quote:
The A's Manga indicates that certification testing is a LOT more complicated than that - Keroko, we need you and Silver Retriever again...

I recall mentions of Fate being tested in other areas, not just combat skills, though duel with Chrono was the last part of the testing phase.
Yes, but for one thing I was half-joking.

For another, your ability to actually perform with magic will probably become increasingly important at high ranks. Many people can with effort learn a Master's knowledge of Magic. So the tiebreaker has to be performance. And based on stadia ranging to a Midchildran or Belkan, 300m engagements are ... well ... we are really sorry to say this, are we?
Closed Thread