Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-02, 22:23   Link #1
blue skies
noch einmal?

something older/thought-provoking?

So I've been really burnt out on anime lately, and nothing that's out there right now is grabbing me at all. I actually got into this stuff just a few years ago, so I know there's probably loads of series I've missed out on, and I'd like you guys to tell me what they are. I know I said older series in the title (I couldn't think of a better word.), but anything that hasn't aired in the last year is fair game. I tend to prefer stuff that's thought-provoking, intriguing or sort of nostalgic (and anything that can make me go "wtf just happened?" scores major bonus points with me), but I'm open to just about anything at all, as long as it's good. And I'm not picky about genres, BUT! The only thing I absolutely cannot stand is kawaii moe desu~ where all the girls look like collectible toy puppies or something and have the personalities of Wonderbread. (Sorry if it's your thing, but it just doesn't work for me. At all.)

I really hope that wasn't too vague.

The only thing I'm currently watching is Monster, and I love it, where has it been all my life. It's been close to perfect so far. Also: if you give me reasons to watch instead of just lists, I might be overcome with an inexplicable urge to rep you. ;>

Spoiler for stuff that floats my boat:

Spoiler for stuff that doesn't float my boat:

A film is fine too, of course. I actually haven't seen that many, now that I think about it. I've watched all of Makoto Shinkai's work, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Grave of the Fireflies. The only Miyazaki I've seen is Spirited Away, and I loved it -- I should probably look into his other films.

Last edited by blue skies; 2009-08-03 at 07:59. Reason: memory loss, apparently
Old 2009-08-02, 22:30   Link #2
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

You havne't seen Serial Experiments Lain? It's the ultimate god of all 'what the hell just happened' anime and the show is very brilliant. From the same coin, I also suggest Texhnolyze, Haibane Renmei, and NieA_7, all from the same creator.

I'm also going to suggest Red Garden, Kure-nai, Mononoke, Kaiba, and for a movie, go with Mind Game.
Old 2009-08-02, 22:39   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'll take the easy one first, since you admit yourself you should look at Miyazaki's other films. Princess Mononoke is his best work, IMO - gorgeous, spellbinding, a bit of a mind-trip and his most overtly political film. Beware the dubbed version - they hacked 40 minutes off it.

Based on your tastes, I'll take a hack at a couple of series. First, Zettai Shounen - a little gem of a sleeper that many folks missed in 2005. The first arc is the better - it's set in rural Tana, and features a fantastic lead in Ayumu, a displaced city boy of 14 or so who spends the summer with his divorced father. The town is full of colorful characters and is itself a wonderful character, and the enigmatic story spins itself at a leisurely pace through layers of Shinto mysticism, small-town politics and a bit of romance. The second arc follows the storyline to Yokohama and, while not as good, does offer a satisfying conclusion.

The second I'd recommend is Zettai's edgier cousin, Ghost Hound. The visuals are up to Production I.G.'s lofty standards and the sound design is unequaled in any TV anime I've seen. The story is again set in a small town and rife with Shinto references, this time centering around Tarou, a middle school student grappling with a terrible past. Turns out pretty much everyone in town is, too, and things start to get seriously messed up as a kind of gestalt zeitgest overcomes the place. Again, the characters are superbly drawn and while the story can be hard to follow (it's an interesting mix of mysticism and experimental psychology) the whole thing is never less than totally involving.
Old 2009-08-02, 22:41   Link #4
jedinat

If you liked Bebop and Champloo, I can't see you not liking Trigun. One my long-time favorites; alternately silly and dramatic.

Haibane Renmei is great for thought-provoking... something of a character drama with an allegorical tinge that is never quite explained.
Serial Experiments Lain falls under a similar vein, though this time much more abstract and a lot more demanding on your mind. If you just watch it for what it is without engaging yourself, you will be bored out of your mind... otherwise it's a great watch.

If you like "smart" anime like Monster, you should give Ghost in the Shell SAC a try.

Juuni Kokuki - one of my very favorite anime. should be watched by everyone; great characterizations; fleshed out fantasy world.
Old 2009-08-02, 22:48   Link #5
Aquillion

I second Juuni Kokuki / Twelve Kingdoms.

Also, Kino no Tabi / Kino's Journey is a good thinky show.
Old 2009-08-02, 22:57   Link #6
qwertyuiopz

ghost hound and ghost hunt
Old 2009-08-02, 23:16   Link #7
Saleh
Inactive

Just curious, Have you really missed out on Seirei no Moribito (2007, 26 episode) and Legend of Galactic Heroes(Space opera, 1988-1997, 110 episodes) ? Both of them had captivating storyline and were best series of their time. While Legend of Galactic Heroes doesn't have lot of visual appeal to offer, but it has intricate plot filled with political intrigues, wonderful tactical battles and an imperial family. Seirei no Moribito is similar to Simoun in visual appeal (but with better character design) and has very good sound tracks.
Old 2009-08-02, 23:32   Link #8
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Almost all has been said already, so let me just recommend Requiem from the Darkness, a supernatural horror similar to the magnificent Mononoke, though both employing different styles and level of violence.

Now and Then, Here and There is fantastic as well. Nostalgia and violent sci-fi/drama come here hand-in-hand, and it does it so realistically (as rational as it can get set in a fantasy world, that is) it's like a punch in the gut. Amidst all the darkness and violence though lies a show that is thought-provoking and emotionally-involving.

I may not really be a big fan of Satoshi Kon (gasp, surprise surprise, I tend to find him too much of an audience pleaser), but I thought his Paranoia Agent a pleasant surprise compared to his other works. It's gritty and a complete mind-fuck, yeah, though not as much as Lain, yet directed with so much flair.

Albeit I find the manga much better in terms of OMFG eyecandy, Victorian Romance Emma is a must-see for the romance cynics who just want something sophisticated, semi-realistic and subdued.

For OVAs and shorts you might want to check out Pale Cocoon and Time of Eve, both from the same creator; the former is pensive, poignant and packs quite a punch for an incredibly short film. Time of Eve, on the other hand, is much more dynamic, with a very unique (at least for anime it is) directing style that's reminiscent of live-action direction. Its handle on AI and human interaction is sensitively done without becoming overly sentimental. Besides, Yasuhiro Yoshiura, the director, needs more love!
Old 2009-08-03, 06:48   Link #9
Demi

I agree with the suggestions above. Serial Experiment Lain is definitely a good one. Now and Then, Here and There is pretty good, a bit violent.

Paranoia Agent is definitely a show to watch, even though its newer. While we're on Satoshi Kon, Paprika and Perfect Blue are rather good. Perfect Blue gets a bit weird towards the end.

If you can bear with it, Tsubasa Chronicle gets pretty "wtf" towards the end, especially once you get into the OVAs. The manga's a bit farther with the "wtf" development, though (time paradox anyone?). Most of the anime series is pretty plain monster-of-the-week, however.

Akira's an oldie but a goodie.

Blue Submarine 6 is just awesome.

I'm finding Kara no Kyoukai to be pretty good, but its turning out to be a horror story more than anything (but I'm recommending it because I have similar tastes and I found this to be amazing).

Last edited by Demi; 2009-08-03 at 07:16.
Old 2009-08-03, 08:11   Link #10
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

do it.
do it.
do it.

also n'thing serial experiments lain and Kara no Kyoukai. Very good stories that are full of that lovely WTF factor.

There are some new series that you should look into that might tickle your fancy. Umineko no Naku Koro ni for one... it's really got me hooked, and I like the same kind of stuff you do. Helps to watch Higurashi first, and you'll know more about what happens while also having tons more questions.

Other new stuff you should watch is Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo and Mobile Suit Gundam 00. Both are excellent series from Sunrise. I especially love how Gundam 00 seems to channel Arthur C. Clarke a lot with orbital elevators and solar arrays.
Old 2009-08-03, 08:57   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

A lot of good suggestions, but let me add two more. One is Dennou Coil which, though it's about children, has a lot of thought-provoking moments. My other suggestion is Bartender where nostalgia is a key ingredient.
Old 2009-08-03, 09:24   Link #12
blue skies
noch einmal?

Thanks so much for the recs, everybody. I've actually seen Now and Then, Here and There, Texhnolyze, and Ghost in the Shell: SAC (I knew I was forgetting something big). Most of the series you guys have recommended look incredible; I'll have a hard time deciding which one to watch first, lol.

@Fevvers -- I completely forgot about Time of Eve. I watched the first three episodes, fell in love with it, and apparently forgot about it forever. Thanks for the reminder, lol. I'll definitely check out Pale Cocoon, too. I've also read the Emma manga (I'll read anything by Kaoru Mori, anything), but I never watched the anime -- although seeing the MAL page makes me want to watch it. It'd be hard to screw up an anime with source material that good (even though the art isn't as delicious as the manga ;<).

@Demi -- I've been reading TRC manga for a while, and I don't know what the hell's going on anymore, but I like it. I heard the anime wasn't quite as good, but I might add it to my "to watch" list just because. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh View Post
Just curious, Have you really missed out on Seirei no Moribito (2007, 26 episode)
Yes, I have. I caught a few episodes on Adult Swim a while ago (in b4 everyone's all "but the dub blows!") and it didn't do much for me. But theoretically, I should like it -- I liked the summary I just read, it's gorgeous, and Balsa looks like a great lead. If the character designs are better than Simoun's, I'll probably give it another shot just based on that. Watching the episodes in order might help too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

do it.
do it.
do it.
You are very convincing. I'm assuming these are some moe moe lolis I can actually tolerate? The summary is interesting, I just hope it's not Elfen Lied Redux. ;<

I'll definitely check out:
Lain
Paranoia Agent
Akira
Mononoke
Pale Cocoon
Emma
Trigun
Kino's Journey
Twelve Kingdoms
Moribito
Princess Mononoke
Haibane Renmei
Bartender

Thanks again, you guys are awesome! If anyone has any more, feel free to add them. Suggestions are always welcome.
Old 2009-08-03, 09:41   Link #13
Demi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue skies View Post
Thanks so much for the recs, everybody. I've actually seen Now and Then, Here and There, Texhnolyze, and Ghost in the Shell: SAC (I knew I was forgetting something big). Most of the series you guys have recommended look incredible; I'll have a hard time deciding which one to watch first, lol.

@Fevvers -- I completely forgot about Time of Eve. I watched the first three episodes, fell in love with it, and apparently forgot about it forever. Thanks for the reminder, lol. I'll definitely check out Pale Cocoon, too. I've also read the Emma manga (I'll read anything by Kaoru Mori, anything), but I never watched the anime -- although seeing the MAL page makes me want to watch it. It'd be hard to screw up an anime with source material that good (even though the art isn't as delicious as the manga ;<).

@Demi -- I've been reading TRC manga for a while, and I don't know what the hell's going on anymore, but I like it. I heard the anime wasn't quite as good, but I might add it to my "to watch" list just because. Thanks.

Yes, I have. I caught a few episodes on Adult Swim a while ago (in b4 everyone's all "but the dub blows!") and it didn't do much for me. But theoretically, I should like it -- I liked the summary I just read, it's gorgeous, and Balsa looks like a great lead. If the character designs are better than Simoun's, I'll probably give it another shot just based on that. Watching the episodes in order might help too.

You are very convincing. I'm assuming these are some moe moe lolis I can actually tolerate? The summary is interesting, I just hope it's not Elfen Lied Redux. ;<

I'll definitely check out:
Lain
Paranoia Agent
Akira
Mononoke
Pale Cocoon
Emma
Trigun
Kino's Journey
Twelve Kingdoms
Moribito
Princess Mononoke
Haibane Renmei
Bartender

Thanks again, you guys are awesome! If anyone has any more, feel free to add them. Suggestions are always welcome.
If you're reading TRC, I'd say do yourself a favor and skip to the OVAs. The OVAs start in the middle of a feather trip and leads straight into the Fei Wong Reed arc. Most of the main series was just the monster-of-the-week stuff.

If you find that you like Paranoia Agent, Perfect Blue is also pretty good (and its just one movie).
Old 2009-08-03, 11:13   Link #14
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I think it's obviously what your taste is from the two lists you have given.

But first, I would like to second Haibane Renmei and Kino's Journey. Those two anime are just amazing. Perfect Blue also fits your bill, and Twelve Kingdoms is right down your alley. Why not try Baccano! while you're at it?

I also think you should watch some more Ghibli films. Whisper of the Heart is brilliant, even though it's not very thought-provoking. At least, not the same way as Haibane Renmei and the others. And then I would recommend Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Kiki's Delivery Service. In my opinion, there's nothing special about Princess Mononoke and Ghibli's later films, but they're still decent.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is definitely not similar to Elfen Lied plot-wise, but I still don't recommend it because I don't think you will love it. Granted, there's a bit of thinking involved, but it's more "solving a puzzle" thinking.
Old 2009-08-03, 11:43   Link #15
Asfad

I highly second the recommendation for Kino's Travels and Mononoke. Both are quite thought provoking, especially the former.

Also saw Higurashi no Naku Koro ni mentioned. The moe lolis may throw you off at first, but it tones down a lot later on.

Watching that prepares you for Umineko no Naku Koro ni, which is more in line with what you are looking for. The anime is currently airing and the visual novels are translated if you are up for a good read.

For some movies, check out Genius Party and it's sequel, Genius Party Beyond. The movies are a compilation of shorts that are entirely unrelated, but do a lot of experimentation with their animation and storytelling. Some of them are straightforward, while others will definitely leave you going "wtf just happened," which is what it seems like you are going for.
Old 2009-08-03, 14:25   Link #16
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

As the rest have already said, almost all the Ghibli movies are worth a watch. Personally, though, I have a soft spot for both Porco Rosso and Only Yesterday, because these two Ghibli movies were deliberately targeted at older audiences without losing any of the studio's legendary movie magic.

Only Yesteday -- also known as Omoide Poro Poro (literally, "memories raining down"; "poro poro" being the onomatopoeia for raindrops) -- is particularly thought-provoking. It's an elegy to Japan's fast-fading rural community. At the same time, we see the protagonist reminiscing about her childhood through adult eyes. The movie was directed by Isao Takahata, one of the other leading figures in Studio Ghibli besides Hayao Miyazaki. More importantly, Yoshifumi Kondou (director of Ghibli's Whisper of the Heart) also served as the movie's animation supervisor. Kondou was reputedly slated to "take over" from Miyazaki after the master animator retired, but the succession plan was tragically disrupted by Kondou's death in 1998.

If you do watch movie, look out for the devastatingly beautiful safflower sunrise early in the film. It's not something you'd forget very soon.
Old 2009-08-03, 14:36   Link #17
Kafriel
Senior Guest

For major plot-twisters I suggest Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and after watching it (once it's finished), watch the original run from episode 17 onwards again.
I smell the absence of a Death Note, so check that one out too, it's GEASS-like but without the mecha and corny-ness.
Vampire knight has many twists as well, but I wouldn't rate the manga very highly and I haven't watched the anime...you can give it a shot though.
Casshern SINS- was a good show, no real twists around but still felt good watching it.

P.S: also watching monster atm, here comes ep.22!
Old 2009-08-04, 04:52   Link #18
kanon78
Confederate

Denpa teki na Kanojo (1st of 3 ova's released may 2009)
http://wakaranai.animeblogger.net/?p=1562

Infinite Ruyvius is an older anime from 1999 (if you liked Neo Genesis Evangelion you might like this one too)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/593/Infinite_Ryvius

Utawarerumono
http://myanimelist.net/anime/856/Utawarerumono

Fate/stay night
http://myanimelist.net/anime/356/Fate/stay_night

Darker than Black
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2025/Da..._no_Keiyakusha

Maybe Basilisk considering you have Berserk in your list
http://myanimelist.net/anime/67/Basi...ga_Ninpou_Chou

Macross Zero (5 OVA's)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/194/Macross_Zero

I see that Death Note, Higurashi, Kara no Kyoukai and Gundam 00 already have been recommended. They are all really good !

Also currently airing I'd like to recommend you:
Phantom~requiem for the Phantom
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5682/Ph...r_the_Phantom~

Bakemonogatari
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5081/Bakemonogatari

Last edited by kanon78; 2009-08-04 at 05:53.
Old 2009-08-04, 06:42   Link #19
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue skies View Post
No, it's not anything like Elfen Lied--though, if you can tolerate the high levels of fanservice, the Elfen Lied manga is infinitely better than the anime. For one, it has an actual plot, it's not as cutesy most of the time, but the fanservice gets squicky and can enter into the "I'm not sure whether to be uncomfy or turned on" territory (especially concerning Nyuu's casual sexual assault habits).

In Higurashi there really are only two* lolis, and one of them is definitely not what she seems. Every other major character is either an adult or a teenager. The story does get lighthearted at times, but that only makes the depravity and darkness hit that much harder later on.

Spoiler for spoilery!:
Old 2009-08-04, 08:36   Link #20
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I managed to watch Higurashi up to ep11, then dropped out of extreme boredom...maybe it's just me, but it lost the element of honest surprise and mystery after a while.
Closed Thread