AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2016-07-07, 01:23   Link #1
zeross87

Visual novel recommendations

Im sorry if a thread alredy exist, i didnt find it.

Im searching for a new vn to play but im running out of idea. With the annonced delay due to licensing of sakusaku i need some more vn while waiting for dc3

A general rule is i like light and happy vn, absolutly no "death" one, i dont wannabe depressed. Slice of life comedy is the tag that define me the most. I like multi route (hate vn with 1 girl) and relatively long vn
A list of the vn i played and that i remember not in order of preference or anything

Princess evangile (my favorite vn)
Noble works - was okay but bored me at the end
Koisuru no lastresort - common route ok, girls route boring
Koi iro chu lips - same
Koi choco - loved it, finished all route
Period - loved it finished all route
Dc1 and 2 - finished all route
Shuffle - finished 50% of the route
Fortune aterial - finished all tranlated route
Hoshizora memoria - finished all route
If my heart had wings (yes i plaayed crap translation) - finished all route expect for sempai one
Kamidori - finished several time
Deardrops - finished 1 route
Yosuga no sora - finished all route expect sempai
Snow sakura - finished all route one of them 2 times
Heart de roomate - finished all route
Sono hanabira - finished the first but didnt really like it
Oto boku - finished all route
Hinataboko - finished all route

I must forget somes
Edit : forgot, english only

Last edited by zeross87; 2016-07-07 at 06:10.
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-07, 02:37   Link #2
DarkForestCrow

Awesome list, good taste.

Thank you!
DarkForestCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-07, 05:38   Link #3
zeross87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkForestCrow View Post
Awesome list, good taste.

Thank you!
No problem I edited the last name as I remembered it during the day

If you have any suggestions to me I'll gladly accept it I'm eager to discover new things.

God the annonced vn from mg at ax2016 look goods
Old 2016-07-10, 05:47   Link #4
VDZ

If you're okay with partial patches, I highly recommend Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai. It's from the same company as Fortune Arterial, but much better. A partial patch exists translating 4 routes, and the rest of the translation was recently resumed and is at ~90% translated.

Another game you would probably really like is Quartett!. Same company as Period, it has a very relaxed form of storytelling via the unusual comic style. My only complaint about the game is that the plot never really heads anywhere, but if you're just in it for the slice-of-life that shouldn't be a problem.

Other games you might be interested in:
Ikinari Anata ni Koishiteiru (aka Ikikoi)
Lamune (only one route translated, not sure if there's any drama later on, only played part of it)

If you're not entirely allergic to drama, I also recommend Key's works, particularly Clannad and Rewrite (the latter also has action and a bunch of other stuff).
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-13, 15:22   Link #5
zeross87

thanks !

i actually almost started daitashokan as i liked the anime, but decided to restrain myself if final translation is on the way.
quartett is on my to watch list, the only thing that restrained me to watch it sooner is it seem rather short so i don't execpt amazing development.

ikikoi got me interested, but i've read sooo many bad review on this one it actually made me hold it a little. did you play it ?
lamunei didn't know, i'll check it.

clannad i've cried so much watching the anime (i couldn't finish after story alone, i asked a friend to watch it with me ) that i swear i won't touch the VN. i'm an easily depressed person and don't want to risk it xD
rewrite seem the same so wont even watch the anime ^^"
Old 2016-07-13, 15:54   Link #6
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeross87 View Post
ikikoi got me interested, but i've read sooo many bad review on this one it actually made me hold it a little. did you play it ?
Yes, though I never finished a single route (but that's not uncommon for me). It has a very unusual style and quirky humor; you might like it or you might hate it. It's not an amazing game by any means but it was definitely amusing.

Old 2016-07-14, 02:27   Link #7
rladls2121

What I recommend:

Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart(This one is maybe better than you think.)
Dracuriot
Amairo Islenauts
Sanoba Witch
Koi x Shin Ai Kanojo
Acchi Muite Koi(This one really made me laugh a lot.)
Ren'ai 0 Kilometer(This one makes you laugh a lot too.)
Hitotsu Tobashi Ren'ai
Puramai Wars

Maybe I'll add more later.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-14, 03:17   Link #8
zeross87

well thanks but i don't read japanese
Old 2016-07-15, 01:45   Link #9
VDZ

Dracu-Riot! has a partial patch translating most of it, but I heard the translation is pretty terrible.
Old 2016-07-16, 06:24   Link #10
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

You could try Koiken Otome (https://vndb.org/v10608) as it has received a translation patch.
It has some tournament combat in it, but is otherwise within it's school setting and the special abilities. If you survived were fine with Koi Choco and Princess Evangile's drama, you'll be likely fine with most forms of normal romance-drama variations

Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai! is quite long and is outside of the school battles quite slice-of-life iirc. Don't know if the translation patch is complete, though.

To Heart 2 is from what I've heard as slice of life as it can get but quite old (e.g. you can't progress the text with your mouse wheel, no voice cut option). The translation patch has been incomplete, but a good deal of routes should have been done.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 08:11   Link #11
Sayaka Rei

Planetarian from Key !
Sayaka Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 17:15   Link #12
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayaka Rei View Post
Planetarian from Key !
Quote:
A general rule is i like light and happy vn, absolutly no "death" one, i dont wannabe depressed.
Quote:
I like multi route (hate vn with 1 girl) and relatively long vn
Quote:
i'm an easily depressed person and don't want to risk it xD
Planetarian is anything but light and happy, being about a post-apocalyptic scavenger discovering the beauty of what mankind used to take for granted, it's renowned for its drama, and it's a short single-heroine game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai! is quite long and is outside of the school battles quite slice-of-life iirc. Don't know if the translation patch is complete, though.
Majikoi has a complete translation patch nowadays, some folks picked up the incomplete translation from where TakaJun left off and completed it.

Quote:
To Heart 2 is from what I've heard as slice of life as it can get but quite old (e.g. you can't progress the text with your mouse wheel, no voice cut option). The translation patch has been incomplete, but a good deal of routes should have been done.
If I recall correctly, the latest patches translate 100% of the game, just not fully edited yet.
Old 2016-08-14, 18:38   Link #13
Tsundere_Maid

I have a VN recommendation for you guys. It just came out on steam and there is an 18+ patch if you are into that sort of thing.

Fruit of Grisaia. I went in kind of cautiously and I left.. wanting more. The stories, the characters. I really did enjoy them and everything about them. It was a really great experience. I can provide links if you don't want to buy it on steam to the official translators site if you want to pick them up. I think they just released Labyrinth of Grisaia too (which is its sequel). It was really an enjoyable game.

It can get a little heavy sometimes with the characters issues so just a fair warning.

Edit: I know Fruit of Grisaia is kinda old. Some people seem to be sick of it.
Anyway here is one of my favorite scenes in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ncADFZgvnk

Last edited by Tsundere_Maid; 2016-08-15 at 03:13.
Tsundere_Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-16, 06:37   Link #14
joswilliams

Air( although it's a rather sad game, it has a lot of comedy elements in the common route, and in general it's awesome VN), Clannad, KiraKira( if you liked Deardrops), Ever17,Rewrite, Katawa Shoujo.
joswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 12:37   Link #15
zeross87

Quote:
You could try Koiken Otome (https://vndb.org/v10608) as it has received a translation patch.
It has some tournament combat in it, but is otherwise within it's school setting and the special abilities. If you survived were fine with Koi Choco and Princess Evangile's drama, you'll be likely fine with most forms of normal romance-drama variations
do you have a recomendation for route order ? i heard that kamishiro route is to be done rather early as its a little spoiled otherwise.
i plan to do akane > kamishiro > the two other in whatever order
Old 2016-10-03, 16:07   Link #16
PhoenixG
Hi-Eternal

Even I've finished Koiken, can't really recommend it. Story-wise it's really average, lots of cliche + they really ruin the setting. They really should do more stuff about the tournament and abilities, but instead it ruin all the hype downed into an average high-school story.
PhoenixG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 15:20   Link #17
FatesEnd

Yeah, Koiken Otome is... underwhelming. Everything feels like it'll end up a lot more climatic and actiony than it is, but it... doesn't. Akane's route suffers the most from this, since it's the one most connected to the backstory. Childhood friend's route is underwhelming all-around, and even ice girl and Yves' routes suffer a bit from it, despite being the best routes due to avoiding it as much as possible.

Now, if you want some detailed recommendations on games like it that do follow through, I can dig up some of the ones I made for a friend of mine a ways back.

Spoilered for length!

Spoiler for Ayakashibito:

Spoiler for Yumina the Ethereal:
FatesEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-08, 00:40   Link #18
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

What I recommend:

Subarashiki Hibi
Sakura no Uta
Kitto, Sumiwataru Asairo yori mo,
White Album 2 C.C
Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai

all of these are great reads. Wonderful stories.
Old 2017-01-08, 01:50   Link #19
zeross87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatesEnd View Post
Yeah, Koiken Otome is... underwhelming. Everything feels like it'll end up a lot more climatic and actiony than it is, but it... doesn't. Akane's route suffers the most from this, since it's the one most connected to the backstory. Childhood friend's route is underwhelming all-around, and even ice girl and Yves' routes suffer a bit from it, despite being the best routes due to avoiding it as much as possible.

Now, if you want some detailed recommendations on games like it that do follow through, I can dig up some of the ones I made for a friend of mine a ways back.

Spoilered for length!

Spoiler for Ayakashibito:

Spoiler for Yumina the Ethereal:

well i played it and i do agree that it was underwhelming. i really liked the main part of the story until the girls route so playing it was not a complete waste. the girls route were all quite boring tho .

but now we are only 12 days away from DC3; i can't wait to play it
Old 2017-01-08, 01:57   Link #20
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Guys, sorry if I intrude, but I think we're already a bit more than just recommending here, so maybe it's better to liven up the other vintage VN thread instead? Could use a bit of a life there as well.