Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-08-26, 22:41   Link #41
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
What make me angry is something like this :
Daily Mirror's Kevin O'Sullivan claiming the film a failure, as "cartoons should be funny and this isn't - what's the point?" » his reviews for Tales from Earthsea...

I'd like to ask him if he even knows about anime...
He doesn't seem to be familiar with Western works like Watership Down or the Velveteen Rabbit either. Then again, anything printed in the Daily Mirror is sort of automatically suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Anime isn't just for kids. Take Pokémon. I'm not sure who here battles competitively, but the average 8 years old isn't going to understand the mechanics and strategies involved. Most anime has two different levels of understanding. Cardcaptor Sakura is an excellent example of this. From just watching casually, you explore the life of a 10 year old magical girl who tries to captures all the cards to fulfill her contract. From another view...well you'll have to watch it yourself to see if you can see it in another way. I certainly did, and that's why it's on my top 10.
The nice thing about anime is that they generally don't talk down to their intended audience, so it's quite possible for adults to enjoy children's shows for what they are. I much prefer this approach to the modern Western trend of putting adult humor in cartoons that children aren't supposed to understand.
Old 2007-08-26, 23:05   Link #42
Darkman.exe213
Yurippe is mai waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
What make me angry is something like this :
Daily Mirror's Kevin O'Sullivan claiming the film a failure, as "cartoons should be funny and this isn't - what's the point?" » his reviews for Tales from Earthsea...

I'd like to ask him if he even knows about anime...
XD That's pure genius. Oh wait...he was serious?! When was the last time he actually took a look at cartoons out there? There are some serious ones out there.(Spawn and Batman pop into mind)

Anyway, back on topic, I'd tell them to:

1) Watch Elfen Lied.

or...

2) Watch Adult Swim's anime.

They'll get the point.
Old 2007-08-27, 17:21   Link #43
Archideas
No Title Found

Send a message via MSN to Archideas
I completely agree with the general opinion of anime at some point that anime is for kids, like these lolita girls. Creeps me out to think that 20+ guys are watching things like that.

But then animes like Naruto, Bleach, Claymore, Full Metal Alchemist is a little more serious, containing violance and that is more acceptable in my opinion.
Archideas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 18:26   Link #44
anselfir
Style Über Alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archideas View Post
I completely agree with the general opinion of anime at some point that anime is for kids, like these lolita girls. Creeps me out to think that 20+ guys are watching things like that.

But then animes like Naruto, Bleach, Claymore, Full Metal Alchemist is a little more serious, containing violance and that is more acceptable in my opinion.
rofl. the truth is completely opposite. shonen animu is generally targeted at kids whose attention is held by these power level, fantasy stuff, while shows like lucky star target older people.
Old 2007-08-27, 22:45   Link #45
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

To those that say anime is for kids...sit them down, tie down their hands and legs, tape their eyelids open, and show them hentai. Teh solved.

But between Pokemon and Bible Black (I have never seen the latter!), yes, 99.5% of anime is for kids/teens. Go to forums.dota-allstars.com and read up onthe anime rules. They apply for 99.5% of the anime. It' the other 0.5% of anime that are forever immortalized. Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Trigun, Ah My Goddess (the main character is actually a 2nd-3rd year college student!), and maybe even Fate/Stay Night...no, the best anime is not for kids. Just the 99.5% that's easily forgotten.
Old 2007-08-27, 23:33   Link #46
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
To those that say anime is for kids...sit them down, tie down their hands and legs, tape their eyelids open, and show them hentai. Teh solved.

But between Pokemon and Bible Black (I have never seen the latter!), yes, 99.5% of anime is for kids/teens. Go to forums.dota-allstars.com and read up onthe anime rules. They apply for 99.5% of the anime. It' the other 0.5% of anime that are forever immortalized. Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Trigun, Ah My Goddess (the main character is actually a 2nd-3rd year college student!), and maybe even Fate/Stay Night...no, the best anime is not for kids. Just the 99.5% that's easily forgotten.
That is a good point, but I don't think that it's 99.5%. Many anime has ecchi and gore, even the ones that are not popular. While browsing ANN's anime list, I encounter lots of "Adults Only!" ones too, so hentai is plenty to go around. Overall I'd say that at least 30% of anime are not targetted to children.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 23:38   Link #47
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
I've thought of showing people something like the first minute of Lain, but I usually decide that it would cause more trouble than it's worth. I've thought of showing the first bit of elfen lied too, but that's most certainly not the view of anime I'd want to present.

Then I point out that animation doesn't mean it's for children, and cite examples of American animation targeted at older audiences. That usually works, for a while anyway.
Animes like those even I had to force myself to watch. There just some anime you have to do that for to, just cause the story progress so slowly or the lack of interest you have in that anime.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 00:29   Link #48
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Anime is for all age groups.

Mainly children though.
Old 2007-08-28, 06:12   Link #49
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis View Post
Anime is for all age groups.

Mainly children though.
How did you arrive to that conclusion? Yes, there are shows that are suitable for children, but even these contain subtle themes that older audiences can appreciate, while not detracting anything from the show.

Anime companies need money too you know. Who are the potentially paying customers? Certainly not little kids. Many of the shows would be considered too boring by kids (romance/slice of life), or too violent or with otherwise inappropriate content for children viewing. Take the current season - how many of the ongoing shows would you classify as kid shows ?
Old 2007-08-28, 07:17   Link #50
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Hmm.... yeah my friend said that to me once. And, yes, I responded by telling him about Elfen Lied. The HE responded by saying why don't they just make it in to... well, not an anime. With real people. I didn't know what to say to that. >_>
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 07:22   Link #51
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

That he has ran out of actual arguments to use ?
Old 2007-08-28, 08:41   Link #52
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

I usually don't even bother giving a response became they usually realy don't want to hear it. but to the few actually curious ones I tell them about all the animes with a bit of punch to them blood and violence wise and they either become interested or just move on.
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 11:31   Link #53
Archideas
No Title Found

Send a message via MSN to Archideas
Quote:
Originally Posted by anselfir View Post
rofl. the truth is completely opposite. shonen animu is generally targeted at kids whose attention is held by these power level, fantasy stuff, while shows like lucky star target older people.
I never spoke of anything being true or false. I just gave my personal opinion.
Archideas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 11:45   Link #54
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
How did you arrive to that conclusion? Yes, there are shows that are suitable for children, but even these contain subtle themes that older audiences can appreciate, while not detracting anything from the show.

Anime companies need money too you know. Who are the potentially paying customers? Certainly not little kids. Many of the shows would be considered too boring by kids (romance/slice of life), or too violent or with otherwise inappropriate content for children viewing. Take the current season - how many of the ongoing shows would you classify as kid shows ?
Perhaps I worded that badly.

I should've said - "Most Anime are targeted towards children."

There's many which are most certainly targeted towards adults, but I believe that the majority of anime are targeted towards children.

Children add in the "nag" factor. They persuade their parents/guardians to purchase the merchandise for them.

I see many anime being targeted towards adolescents, currently, but the majority are still targeted towards children - I think.

Perhaps the target demographic has considerably shifted towards adult-orientated shows, making me quite wrong.

@ anselfir - I could also make scathing remarks towards Lucky Star, but that'd be ignorant, much like your comment towards shounen-anime. The quality of the shows remains most important, not the label.
Old 2007-08-28, 15:18   Link #55
arcadeplayer987

Anime is for anyone who love them
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 15:45   Link #56
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archideas View Post
It's interesting to note, that every single title you mentioned there are running in magazines for young boys, not adults.
They may seem mature to you, a teenager, but the fact is majority of the content of those titles you mentioned are obviously geared for kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post

Well, the truth is, majority of anime market is infact children's market.
There are tons of "otaku aimed late night anime shows" for mature audience, but they don't make up the majority of the market.

Also, you totally underestimate the consuming power of children. You do realize, that there are much, much, MUCH more kids in Japan than there are otakus right? Franchise such as Doraemon, Crayon-Shinchan, PreCure, Gundam, DBZ.... brings in a heck of a lot more cash than otaku market does.
So WHAT if an otaku spends 10 times more money than a child, when there's 20 times more kids out there?
And just like how it is in your country, parents are a huge factor in children's consumer market. When I was a kid, I spent most of my allowances in Bikkuriman choco stickers and manga, while I let my parents buy me the more expensive stuff such as Famicon games and Zoids.

He's right that anime is for everyone, but main target is for kids. Even the Japanese feels that way.
It's just that anime otaku market has grown to support its own target audience separately.

Last edited by aohige; 2007-08-28 at 15:59.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 16:24   Link #57
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis
I should've said - "Most Anime are targeted towards children."

There's many which are most certainly targeted towards adults, but I believe that the majority of anime are targeted towards children.
<SNIP>

Perhaps the target demographic has considerably shifted towards adult-orientated shows, making me quite wrong.
Most anime used to be targetted towards children in the past, but the marketplace changed dramatically in the last few years. Currently, most anime airs in late-night hours, therefore confining themselves to an older audience. The amount of primetime and children's hour anime has stayed more or less steady, but it's now a minority compared since the explosive growth in the sheer amount of anime produced recently (I believe that there are currently around 60+ anime TV shows airing per week).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis
@ anselfir - I could also make scathing remarks towards Lucky Star, but that'd be ignorant, much like your comment towards shounen-anime. The quality of the shows remains most important, not the label.
anselfir is largely correct; shounen action anime (especially those that originated in Shounen Jump) are primarily targetted towards children (heck, that part's even in the name of the genre), while shows like Lucky Star are targetted towards a seinen audience. However, we're quite free to enjoy them, whether or not we fit the target demographic (this is actually quite common among shounen action shows).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige
He's right that anime is for everyone, but main target is for kids. Even the Japanese feels that way.
It's just that anime otaku market has grown to support its own target audience separately.
True. Although it should be pointed out that there are a lot more otaku shows out there than kids' shows.
Old 2007-08-28, 17:47   Link #58
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Another thing to consider is, Japanese children (and sadly from what I've seen) children from other foreign countries, seem to be a lot more MATURE than American kids....and they are probably smarter too. I'm sorry if anyone's offended by that but I really think it's true.

I live in America, I've visited other countries and I know what I'm talking about. It all depends on how children are raised and the cultural differences. You can't deny that if an American child saw a naked character taking a bath, they'd scream, laugh, and make a huge deal over it, whereas a Japanese child of the same age, wouldn't bat an eye because they see this every day.

So........how to put this......most uncut anime is absolutely not for kids under twelve in America but Japan is a different story.

Oh, and I want to know if shows like Trinity Blood and Full Metal Panic are targetted at children because....for me, both of these were incredibly hard to follow so in that case, I'd feel awfully stupid....

Quote:
He doesn't seem to be familiar with Western works like Watership Down or the Velveteen Rabbit either
Or The Secret of Nimh. Excellent movie...that balances light and dark, childishness and maturity. And most scenes were definitely NOT funny in any way. My parents told me I hated it when I was younger. More than likely because it scared me half-to-death at five years old....
Old 2007-08-28, 21:16   Link #59
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
anselfir is largely correct; shounen action anime (especially those that originated in Shounen Jump) are primarily targetted towards children (heck, that part's even in the name of the genre), while shows like Lucky Star are targetted towards a seinen audience. However, we're quite free to enjoy them, whether or not we fit the target demographic (this is actually quite common among shounen action shows)..
My point was actually against the insulting nature of his post. I enjoy the odd shounen series, because it's easier for the casual viewer, in my opinion, although I'm well above the age of its targeted age bracket.

I haven't seen Lucky Star, nor will I, because I have my own prejudices against it, but I will refrain from mentioning them. Modern shounen seems largely targeted towards the adolescent bracket now; I assume you're classifying them as children though (which is correct, but I label them differently).

Quote:
Although it should be pointed out that there are a lot more otaku shows out there than kids' shows.
Do you have a link for this one?
Old 2007-08-28, 21:35   Link #60
Zennifa
*insert cool title here*

Grr...I hate when someone says "Isn't anime for kids" or "oh watching stupid cartoons" cartoons aren't the same, they don't have cool story lines, or perverted stuff like anime does. Anime is for adults! (most of the time)
Zennifa is offline   Reply With Quote