Notices

Old 2013-06-06, 21:06   Link #1041
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Old 2013-06-06, 21:23   Link #1042
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
"With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console," reads Microsoft's statement.
Wow. They're saying it as if it's a unique privilege for us to get a whopping twenty-four hours of offline gaming. Like we should be thankful for getting this much freedom or something.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Customer-hating maneuvers like this make me somewhat thankful that I play indie games more than mainstream stuff.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 21:51   Link #1043
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing and Privacy Features

This is a fucking joke. Is this supposed to be better? Is this supposed to be "we are listening"?
Oh lol that's funny, so after all of Microsoft's verbal "dancing", all the information turned out to be exactly as understood. The only new information is the idiotic 30 day friend thing. It looks like Microsoft may just succeed in reducing used game sales, less people will be interested in buying the system to even think about used games for it, but hey, success is success.
Old 2013-06-06, 21:57   Link #1044
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Microsoft's statements here are almost downright Orwellian.

"We have never been at war with Eurasia... Console gaming never allowed you to share your games with your friends until the XBox One"
Old 2013-06-06, 21:59   Link #1045
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

It's also funny that people's argument when I asked "what if my internet goes down for more than 24 hours, and I want to play my Xbox One?" consists mostly of "read a book, play a sport, get a life". Sure, I should go reading a book when I want to play my game .

Actually, I think I should just use that money to buy some books instead.
Old 2013-06-06, 22:08   Link #1046
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
The only new information is the idiotic 30 day friend thing..
Yeah, indeed idiotic. You can lend a game to a friend (so long as they are on your friends list for 30 days or more)...but, it is a one time thing only. Once it is passed along once, it can never be passed along again. Bravo, MS. Ya jerks.
Old 2013-06-06, 22:10   Link #1047
Destined_Fate

Don't forget that if you sign your profile into another console apparantly it will only have a 1 hour offline clause instead of 24.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 22:12   Link #1048
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Don't forget that if you sign your profile into another console apparantly it will only have a 1 hour offline clause instead of 24.
Oh yeah. Forgot about that for a bit. The XBox One has so many strikes against it. The PS4 should not be as restrictive and not be as bad with the DRM. On top of this, PS4 is supposed to be a significantly more capable machine (in terms of power and performance). On top of that, the gap between XBO and PS4 may widen further, as the XBO is having production yield problems with a hardware component and it is possible MS may have to underclock a part (the CPU or GPU, I forgot which) in order to meet a fall launch of the system.
Old 2013-06-06, 22:18   Link #1049
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It's just all so ridiculous I can barely believe it all. Yet, this is reality.

An interesting point I read was on XBox Live getting hacked the way the PSN was a while back. That kills the servers for long enough everyone's system turns into a useless piece of junk until they get them fixed.
Old 2013-06-06, 22:19   Link #1050
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Yeah, indeed idiotic. You can lend a game to a friend (so long as they are on your friends list for 30 days or more)...but, it is a one time thing only. Once it is passed along once, it can never be passed along again. Bravo, MS. Ya jerks.
Actually considering they also said it can't be lend, my guess is that, you can give a game to someone else. That game won't be usable by you anymore, only by the new owner. And also each game license can only have that happen once, so the person can't give you that game back, nor give that to anyone else.

And as they said this won't have a cost by them, so in a way you can use that to sell the game to that person. The person pays you and then you give the license. Although then in turn won't be able to do that anymore. Also seems like it's a option that each publisher c an negate if they want.
Old 2013-06-06, 22:24   Link #1051
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post

An interesting point I read was on XBox Live getting hacked the way the PSN was a while back. That kills the servers for long enough everyone's system turns into a useless piece of junk until they get them fixed.
Useless piece of junk, you say? I scoff at that! They can use the television capabilities of their video game system. They can watch sports, even!
Old 2013-06-06, 22:25   Link #1052
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
We asked Avalanche’s chief technical officer Linus Blomberg how the two consoles compare. “It’s difficult to say, as it’s still early days when it comes to drivers,” he told us. “With each new driver release, performance increases dramatically in some areas. The PlayStation 4 environment is definitely more mature currently, so Microsoft has some catching up to do. But I’m not too concerned about that as they traditionally have been very good in that area. The specs on paper would favour the PS4 over the Xbox One in terms of raw power, but there are many other factors involved so we’ll just have to wait and see a bit longer before making that judgment.”]
Yeah in raw power, PS4 is favour to win. But if count all other factors involved for example the stupid DRM, resell, and loaning factor, PS4 is on a crushing victory.....
Old 2013-06-06, 22:42   Link #1053
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Yeah in raw power, PS4 is favour to win. But if count all other factors involved for example the stupid DRM, resell, and loaning factor, PS4 is on a crushing victory.....
I wouldn't be so quick to put all your eggs in the PS4's basket, we've not gotten all the information about the PS4, for all we know the DRM measures could be worse. If that turns out to be the case, it is a sad day for gamers.
Old 2013-06-06, 22:47   Link #1054
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
I wouldn't be so quick to put all your eggs in the PS4's basket, we've not gotten all the information about the PS4, for all we know the DRM measures could be worse. If that turns out to be the case, it is a sad day for gamers.
Wouldn't some insider leak have said something by now?

I highly doubt Sony employees are hardcore loyal to the company.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 22:49   Link #1055
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
I doubt it, imagine yourself as a Sony exec:

"Hey man, look at what Microsoft is doing!"

"He's putting on... wait a minute, isn't that the PR suicide bomb vest we had on for the PS3?"

"Sure looks like it, and he's putting TWO of them on at the same time!"

If you're Sony, are you gonna join in with MS or high tail it out of that building?
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 23:10   Link #1056
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
If it does turn out like that I'm going to be getting reacquainted with all my old games. There's enough great games that have been released over the past couple decades that I don't need to put up with this nonsense.

Just glad that for the moment it doesn't appear that Sony is ready to throw away it's customers.
Old 2013-06-06, 23:12   Link #1057
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
My eggs are safely in the PC basket.
Old 2013-06-06, 23:14   Link #1058
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:

I'm sure Sony will have it so that PS4 has some DRM measures for disc based PS4 games. But the DRM restrictions that XBO has are several in number and really bad. It is very unlikely that PS4 will be even worse with it, and especially so since Sony is observing just how bad of a backlash MS is getting after the XBO unveil. Who in the world would expect Sony to then proceed to reveal that the PS4 will have even worse DRM restrictions than the XBO?

And another thing that is better about the PS4 is how they aren't really pushing EyeToy nearly as much as MS is pushing Kinect, and we should have no worries about EyeToy needing to be always connected and always on for the PS4. No one should expect Sony to copy that bonehead move MS is making with the Kinect and the XBO, especially after seeing the backlash people have given to that thing in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
You could make a delicious Steam omelet with cheese, peppers, sausage, and frequent and wallet-pleasing game sales.
Old 2013-06-06, 23:58   Link #1059
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post

My concern wouldn't so much be outages as platform longevity.

Much as I fear for the long term outlook for the PC platform, with tablets eating into PC market share and, well, Microsoft (I like what I've seen of Linux but it's best suited for people who don't care about running a whole lot of software I use), I still think the longevity of the PC as a platform is more secure than that of any console.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 00:38   Link #1060
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I doubt it, imagine yourself as a Sony exec:

"Hey man, look at what Microsoft is doing!"

"He's putting on... wait a minute, isn't that the PR suicide bomb vest we had on for the PS3?"

"Sure looks like it, and he's putting TWO of them on at the same time!"

If you're Sony, are you gonna join in with MS or high tail it out of that building?
Shrug, I'm sure Microsoft has no less intentions of not being a complete failure, that hasn't stopped them from making the decisions that they have. I'm just not going to assume that Sony won't have "something" in store in regards to DRM measures and will wait until they reveal everything about the PS4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
You and me both

Forget PS4/XBO, I haven't even gotten a PS3/360. I still have an XBOX and PS2 lying around somewhere.