AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-08-27, 11:11   Link #1
AngelsThesis
♪ツンツン デレツン♪ ♪デレツンツン♪

Logo Design Proposal help

hi guys, ive been getting addicted to doing logos for groups recently, and i just got a assignment @ uni saying that i should be doing an assignment on AFX.
so here's the thing, i wanna create the logo and animate (per usual of PS and AFX), and allow subgroups to be able to grab the sign, change the font, open up afx and they're ready to go, kinda like freeware.

i guess in conclusion the questions are:
would this be feasible?
how/where should i upload it?
is sumfin like this done already b4?

thanks a lot for you time =)

sample work:
Spoiler:

edit:
also while im on this topic:
im up for suggestions for logo creation as well as helping out groups for logo =D
AngelsThesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 11:45   Link #2
Noct

Why would you wanna do that? I don't see the need to upload a logo template.
So that ripper or foreign group don't have to do a flashy logo themselves? If people want to have a logo they most likely have an afx typesetter who can produce a good looking logo.

But if you want to share your work it might help people to get an idea how to do it themselves.
I don't know of any place for shareing .psd or .aep though and i'm certain that this has never been done before. (Then again, this is the internetz so who knows...)
Maybe you should make a google group?
Noct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 17:37   Link #3
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

suggestion: don't do fansub group logos
like, ever

no seriously, don't do it
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 18:46   Link #4
AngelsThesis
♪ツンツン デレツン♪ ♪デレツンツン♪

@Noct
a lot of of the time i just dont even see it happen, since they think its too hard, or dont even have a proper afx guy

@fluff
thanks for ur replies but having just dont do it doesnt exactly explain why
AngelsThesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 22:31   Link #5
Noct

I think you're misunderstanding something. If there is no logo, it doesn't mean that they couldn't do it. It means that they didn't want to.

A big flashy logo that serves no purpose at all is not considered "quality" by most fansubbers (like TheFluff said). People already know what group they've downloaded from or they don't care.

But as someone who does logo's himself i know it's a bit like karaoke. It's just the fun part of fansubbing even though no one else likes it
Noct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 04:04   Link #6
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsThesis View Post
@Noct
a lot of of the time i just dont even see it happen, since they think its too hard, or dont even have a proper afx guy
"Too hard? Don't have an AFX guy?" No, it's more like because it's pointless.
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 06:25   Link #7
Sindalf

Bastardization on screen, just like fancy karaoke that explodes and dances.

Covers picture, distracting, and no one cares.

If you absolutely insist on making one, you should make it as small as possible and not cover any important details or just not do it all.
Sindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 11:04   Link #8
dj_tjerk
Ana-chan~

Doing logo's and imitating the effects almost perfectly, adds to the groups reputation and the translation's credibility. If you distribute logo's freely so that other groups can easily reuse them without going through the hardships of making them themselves, the whole balance in the fansub world would disappear. There would be no way to distinguish good from bad!
dj_tjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 13:17   Link #9
Mio
TL;DR
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Mio
Your font doesn't match (perfectly that is), the scaling doesn't match, so you should get the basic fundamental ideas down before attempting something like this.

It's not a very good idea anyway because the most of those groups currently using the "zomg ur kfx n u logo fx r liek d mos useless shat ev4r l0l y u do dat" excuse would jump at your work and make it look as if it was their own. Too many times I've talked to such groups privately and their non-PR response was "we just don't have the expertise available to make fancy karaoke/logo effects."

On the other hand, these 2 things are of course not required in a fansub at all and are just there to either "show off e-penor" or to show a group's dedication to overall quality/love for the show etc., while I like watching fancy karaoke/logos I also can agree with those who argue that they're optional. It's true.

So if you really to push your idea once you get the basics to making this stuff down then nobody can stop you, but you really shouldn't because it's your own work and you'd just be making speeders look better than they actually are so they can post even more trolls about how "lol zomg look dis big group didn even hab a logo lol dey sux" when they were screaming about how logos were useless before they could obtain one.

If you really like logo making, learn it and actually become part of the staff and the groups you want to work for and then design logos for those groups instead. That'd be my suggestion.
Mio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 13:42   Link #10
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_tjerk View Post
Doing logo's and imitating the effects almost perfectly, adds to the groups reputation and the translation's credibility. If you distribute logo's freely so that other groups can easily reuse them without going through the hardships of making them themselves, the whole balance in the fansub world would disappear. There would be no way to distinguish good from bad!
I want to highlight this post in case the biting sarcasm it contains goes right over some people's heads.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 14:41   Link #11
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_tjerk View Post
this is it
this is the best post
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 16:06   Link #12
Sindalf

Make sure you Hardsub the logo on screen and softsub everything else. Makes it seem as if you put more work in.
Sindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 04:27   Link #13
3uronymous
\m/
*Fansubber

Group logo aside, is there even much worth in a romanisation or translation of the title itself? Surely we already know the name of the series we downloaded and using it would be as redundant as the sponsor screen, which the majority of fansubbers leave blank as it is.

Quote:
would this be feasible?
I don't think it's very feasible considering different encoders have different opinions on what resolution (or even in such as aasasub's case what aspect ratio) to release at, and for someone to have the skill to open up AFX and resize all of your work correctly to their 720p upscales they would probably have the knowledge and effort to have made their own logo in the first place.

Quote:
is sumfin like this done already b4?
Yes, something similar has been done before, not with logos nonetheless, but in terms of your "freeware" idea. A few seasons back Misora and Cyprene under yesy were handing translated scripts for series out for use by any fansubbing groups provided they kept their credits intact. At first I thought this open source-like fansubbing idea might be quite good and even worked off a number of their scripts; it'd give groups who might be lacking a translator of their own a chance to work on something for the season, or encourage a more open-minded view towards improving on other people's work and re-releasing (see: Underwater) as opposed to pilfering scripts and muxing to upscaled raws (see: Darksoul-subs, DmonHiro) or Xvid transcodes. However, in the end it moreso ended up in the same way as some who'd type out streamcast subs by hand thinking it was suddenly their time to shine and jump into fansubbing without any real experience of being in a group and making subpar releases that don't really benefit anyone.

Another example would be the karaoke templates ai-chan has given out to the public for use over at the aegisub forums, as well as the auto-4 sample templates. They work well enough on their own, and have been noticeably used by plenty of groups (such as Yuurisan) who may be missing a k-styler and want to use effects, but at the same time I have seen horrendous things done with them.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, it's not a good idea. Unless you can make something that works universally under the requirements of every group that might decide to use it, those who are most likely to have the need to use it are the most likely to misuse it. I'd say you'd be better off spending your time pitching logos towards specific groups by request and making it to their specifications rather than throwing up a bunch of afx and photoshop templates somewhere.
3uronymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 04:48   Link #14
pichu
*Fansubber

To be honest, logos are the most worthless job in fansub -- more worthless than karaoke, which can be annoying at times. Don't get me wrong: I've done quite a few logos in the past because I've enjoyed making them, since I'm on my own -- not artistically but objectively. Making logo is more intriguing than creating filters chains for encodes, as most people are pretty subjective when comes to filters. Speaking of which... my Umineko no Naku Koro Ni logo was made in about 40 compositions, with up to 10 nested compositions, and takes more than one hour to render on 4 processes/cores, 4GHz for a short 10s video. Fun...though I wanted to learn about Maya and 3DS for 3d effects.

Based on our viewers, they don't care about flashy fansub groups in the main opening as long as the following is finely done: editing, translations, encoding, and typesetting, and most importantly -- speed.

Last edited by pichu; 2009-08-29 at 04:58.
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 15:50   Link #15
fireshark
CRF Believer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to fireshark
pichu's only in it for the lolis, so you can safely ignore him.
fireshark is offline   Reply With Quote