AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-14, 16:00   Link #1
T-6000

Looks like Shadow Warrior is finally getting a reboot.

......Or rather, a "re-imagination".

I'm honestly very surprised that a developer is doing a new Shadow Warrior game, which is being worked on by "Hard Reset" developer team Flying Wild Hog (yeah, it's still a bit of an unusual name for a game development team for me) and to be distributed by Devolver Digital. Back years ago, on the 3D Realms forums (remember these guys? ), someone asked if 3D Realms planned on doing another Shadow Warrior game, in which Joe Siegler (or however you spell that big mouth idiot's last name) bluntly put that they weren't. The poster humorously posted a picture of himself about to do a Hari-Kiri in response to the answer. I'm guessing that once 3D Realms closed it's doors, they sold off the license and it looks like Flying Wild Hogs somehow got their hands on it.

I honestly have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I really liked Shadow Warrior. I played the hell out of this game back at the late 90s (god, I feel so old!) and I enjoyed the gameplay, the level design, the weapons, and the numerous hellish enemies (though some were more stereotypical than practical. And this is going to sound strange, but I actually liked Lo Wang better than Duke Nukem himself. There was something about his charm and personality that I liked, not only kicking ass but also cracking humorous jokes without the arrogant tone of Duke Nukem himself. So I'm glad this great piece of gaming history is making a comeback, as it would have been a damn shame (well, a shame for me at least) if this franchise was a one shot deal and stuck in the past. But on the other hand, I can't help but notice that this is going to be done by Flying Wild Hogs. I have nothing personal against them, but....well.....I really didn't enjoy Hard Reset. The weapons, the enemies, even the levels themselves felt generic. I did like how it's engine looked great but also ran great (a quality lacking in alot of modern day engines, IMHO). And I was intrigued with the weapon upgrade system. But I seriously hope that their new Shadow Warrior game doesn't feel as "Generic" as Hard Reset.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/3D-...FPS,22536.html

Last edited by T-6000; 2013-05-14 at 16:09. Reason: forgot to put the link.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 13:30   Link #2
bigdeal000
malefic

Never liked Shadow Warrior that much (or any 3d realms game for that matter). It's a pity they sold Blood, it was their best thing. But, it seems a lot of old things are getting reboots or sequels. Painkiller got a (crappy) remake, Tomb Raider got rebooted, ID said they're going to work on a quake 1 remake after they finish doom 4 (I hope they don't screw up again, Doom 3 was just......), wolfenstein the new worder, we got duke nukem and serious sam sequels 2 years ago and some others I don't remember. I really hope this trend continues and we see a Hexen reboot some time in the near future. Damn, I'm loving it, and I'm even waiting to see how this one will turn out. Sure, Hard Reset felt generic, but it was so close to old school I didn't care and enjoyed it anyway. So I'll trust FWH to give this old school revival trend even more momentum
bigdeal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 14:24   Link #3
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The landscape has changed quite a lot in the last 20-odd years.

I doubt any Shadow Warrior remake will even be 10% as horribly offensive, misogynist and racist as the original.

Thus, it will be insufficiently Shadow Warrior.
Old 2013-05-15, 17:31   Link #4
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The landscape has changed quite a lot in the last 20-odd years.

I doubt any Shadow Warrior remake will even be 10% as horribly offensive, misogynist and racist as the original.

Thus, it will be insufficiently Shadow Warrior.
Yeah, that's what I figured they meant by a "Re-imagining". It seems likely they'll be toning down some of the more racial stereotypes from the original Shadow Warrior. I personally wouldn't mind as long as the gameplay is any fun. It wasn't until I started to get connected online at home (which was around 2000. Yeah, a bit late but don't forget that I live in a rural area so we'll be a bit behind here in terms of connectivity.) that I found out the game was actually more controversial than I realized. Back when i first played it, it wasn't too bad for me (with the exception of a couple of enemies and a few Lo Wang's lines). In fact, I think I appreciated the asian references (both good and bad) because I was getting into anime when it was released.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote