AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-01-11, 09:57   Link #41
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Front Mission Evolved - I absolutely love this game, despite the fact that its taken a beating by fans and critics. Its just a fun mecha game, and we haven't been getting enough of those as of late it seems.

Armored Core - Love these games no matter what the critics think, though From Software should maybe think about hiring someone who can actually write a decent plot for one of their games; its not a strong point of theirs.

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - I've logged countless hours into this game. In my opinion, its one of the best Sonic games ever made. Its got tons of enjoyable levels, plenty of side distractions, and it just plays smoothly IMO.

Halo - I just don't get the haters this game gets. The Halo series has been a favorite of mine since the first game, and I love everything about it, especially the setting/lore behind the game. I'm not afraid to admit I've read all the Halo novels (and I am currently reading the latest one). Halo is a fun shooter, and the multiplayer is always spectacular.
Old 2011-01-11, 11:10   Link #42
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Just curious - I see a lot of people mentioning stuff like Call of Duty, Halo, Final Fantasy etc. Yeah, those all have hatedoms associated with them but so does pretty much anything popular and those games still get high marks from critics, and sell a ton of copies - do they really apply to this thread? I got the impression the original post was looking for more obscure or widely underappreciated games. I guess FFXIII could be an exception just because of how widespread the complaints seem to be about that one specifically but I'm just not seeing it with the rest.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 15:28   Link #43
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Just curious - I see a lot of people mentioning stuff like Call of Duty, Halo, Final Fantasy etc. Yeah, those all have hatedoms associated with them but so does pretty much anything popular and those games still get high marks from critics, and sell a ton of copies - do they really apply to this thread? I got the impression the original post was looking for more obscure or widely underappreciated games. I guess FFXIII could be an exception just because of how widespread the complaints seem to be about that one specifically but I'm just not seeing it with the rest.
Yea thats how I see it as well, something like Call of Duty may get bashed here and there but fact is it sells and by the truck load.
Altho I do think Black Ops could apply to this thread, that particular outting of the franchise is pretty bad, I like it alot but damn was it very poorly put together, very sloppy work from Treyarch there.

I'll add Dead or Alive: Xtreme 2 I know it wasn't well recieved but I still like it, I spent a huge amount time on the 1st game and just had to get the 2nd, altho not as good as the 1st I still like it.
Old 2011-01-11, 23:04   Link #44
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I think Wind Waker isn't a great example of what this thread is looking for, but I think it is decent for this thread. It did get a lot of complaints/flack/hate, particularly for the visuals, sailing, and lack of difficulty.
Old 2011-01-12, 18:10   Link #45
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan
Oh, ok so you're accusing me of being like those moronic fanboys who do things like complain about the fact that Sonic has green eyes and blue eyelids or scream stupid things like "Sonic is all about speed" and "Sonic should be the only character". Glad you're being reasonable.
No. There are many people who hate on Sonic games that don't do what you just pointed out.
Quote:
That aside, all you did was bring up the 3 games that are considered to be least terrible from the past decade.
They are good Sonic games. Especially Sonic Unleashed. Pointing out in an objective tone how Sonic Colours is the only good Sonic since a decade is bullshit and puts you right in the group of the haters as far as I am concerned.
Quote:
It's annoying when you have to stop in a Sonic game when considering that traditionally Sonic games are about using the right mix of speed and platforming to make it through the level as fast as possible.
Sonic Heroes wasn't going to be your regular Sonic game with the team mechanic. That was a given. $DEITY forbid they try something fresh.

Making it through the level as fast as possible isn't the only way to play a Sonic game.
Old 2011-01-12, 23:54   Link #46
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
They are good Sonic games. Especially Sonic Unleashed. Pointing out in an objective tone how Sonic Colours is the only good Sonic since a decade is bullshit and puts you right in the group of the haters as far as I am concerned.
Objective tone? Seriously, what?

Listen, I didn't play SatSR because I don't like on-rails gameplay. I have heard that Sonic Unleashed was good, but I dislike the idea behind the "Werehog". To me, it's just not very Sonic-like. All of this is not objective, it's entirely subjective. I find it not very interesting. Sonic Colours actually did things that were really interesting to me with the power ups and how different power ups can open up new pathways to explore and complete the level.

I've been a huge Sonic fan since I was freakin' 3 years old, I do not appreciate being accused of being a hater just because I think that many of more recent entries in the series are mediocre.

Quote:
Sonic Heroes wasn't going to be your regular Sonic game with the team mechanic. That was a given. $DEITY forbid they try something fresh.
This is completely ridiculous logic. I like Sonic Colours, which is even more different from your average Sonic game than Heroes is.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 00:16   Link #47
Silverwyrm

FFXII - everyone always say its bad/boring etc. Yet it is to date the FF I had the most fun playing, I would spend hours making the perfect gambit setup so I could watch my team become an unstoppable wrecking crew and nod and think "yep, I set them up to be that awesome."

Cross Edge/Trinity Universe - fair share of issues sure but I loved the combo systems in both and liked trying to take my favorite characters and make them fit like a puzzle for a devastating attack.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 10:19   Link #48
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
This is completely ridiculous logic. I like Sonic Colours, which is even more different from your average Sonic game than Heroes is.
Yet the entire basis of your complaint about Sonic Heroes was that it wasn't like what the other games do.

You know what's ridiculous? Claiming there hasn't been a good Sonic game in a decade without having played or even tried the ones that are considered good. We call someone like that a "hater".

Did you even try the Sonic games on the DS?
Old 2011-01-13, 20:28   Link #49
Tokkan

Quote:
Yet the entire basis of your complaint about Sonic Heroes was that it wasn't like what the other games do.
No, my complaint was that I was forced to stop to take 30 seconds to a minute to kill a bunch of robots. I actually enjoyed Heroes, I just didn't like the idea of stopping for anything other than a boss battle in Sonic games.

Quote:
You know what's ridiculous? Claiming there hasn't been a good Sonic game in a decade without having played or even tried the ones that are considered good. We call someone like that a "hater".
Oh, lack of interest equals hatred. If someone is not good, it is clearly bad because there is no such thing as mediocrity. Okay.

Quote:
Did you even try the Sonic games on the DS?
I played Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure, both of which were alright but nothing of real worth. I played Sonic Chronicles for all of 20 minutes before deciding I didn't like it at all. I played the demo of Sonic Colours DS and while I liked it, I have no inclination to buy it since I already have the Wii version and the Sonic Rush series wasn't that great. I will give Sonic Colours DS props for not being a massive disappointment like Sonic 4.
Old 2011-01-14, 08:10   Link #50
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I forgot to add Godfather 2 in previous list. While some criticism towards it did make sense but what I like about this game is you are not invincible in a car during a gunfight. The enemies can kill you straight from windshield. This is a good reason why you need an armored car(not tank-like) for drive-by mission. While this feature will not going to change its rating but I would love to see same thing in GTA 4, which is obviously better than Godfather 2.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 11:46   Link #51
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
No, my complaint was that I was forced to stop to take 30 seconds to a minute to kill a bunch of robots.
Which you motivated by saying that it was not Sonic-like.
Quote:
Oh, lack of interest equals hatred. If someone is not good, it is clearly bad because there is no such thing as mediocrity. Okay.
Now you're just arguing semantics.
Old 2011-01-14, 22:57   Link #52
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
+1

I've always and still do enjoy playing the the Musou games.
I can totally understand if people think it's crappy repetitve mindless gameplay cause in fact that is very much what it is tbut for me I too just love to cut through the groups of peons with big flashy attacks
It actually depends on the difficulty you're playing. While the combos are "wash, rinse, repeat", you DO have to pay attention when you're playing on harder difficulties.
Old 2011-01-14, 23:53   Link #53
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

I liked a lot Shadow the Hedgehog but critics were specially harsh with this title.

Another one was Sudeki, I really like the atmosphere and gampleay on this one but every single magazine review gave it 6 or 7, critiquing it specially for being "too straight for an RPG" :/
Old 2011-01-15, 03:45   Link #54
Tokkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
I liked a lot Shadow the Hedgehog but critics were specially harsh with this title.
Oooh, this. I may have found Shadow the Hedgehog to be kinda boring and a silly idea, but I think it took way too much flak from critics.
Old 2011-01-15, 09:49   Link #55
Aqua Knight

Counter Strike:Source
When I played it for about 3 years, I liked it a lot.
But most people and on many forums Source is bashed and mainly everyone agrees that CS 1.6 pretty much is better than CS: Source.
Aqua Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 17:18   Link #56
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post

Another one was Sudeki, I really like the atmosphere and gampleay on this one but every single magazine review gave it 6 or 7, critiquing it specially for being "too straight for an RPG" :/
Wow. SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG? I remember being so hyped up for that game just to be so utterly disappointed....I think I was actually angry too. It's funny since before I entered this thread I wondered if anyone would mention this game since it's definitely one of the most memorable bad gaming experiences I've had. But the fact that someone actually did mention it means we all have radically different tastes .

Anyway my entry goes to Tales of Legendia. I know a lot of Tales fan hated it, and rated it as one of the worst Tales. It's actually my favourite. First of all the setting is really original and un-Tales like, fantastic soundtrack, great characters (except Shirley), the after-game character quests are also fantastic. It's a bummer why people hate it so much, I keep thinking its because of the battle system taking a step back, but ...I still loved it. Cool main character too...screw Lloyd!

Oh and I guess Resident Evil 5. I feel like people were a bit too harsh on this game. They criticized it like it had zero-innovation and took the franchise in the completley wrong direction. But I thought Co-op was a fantastic experience. The story in RE was always retarded, and it's a bit silly to expect something NOT retarded and poorly written. I also feel like it took them 3 entries before they did something different with 4, so why can't 5 use the same formula as 4 until its completely outdated? I do agree that it's a bit dumb that the controls are designed to be clumsy so you'll feel more threatened, I would've preferred enemies to be faster and your controls to be smoother (dead space).
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 01:52   Link #57
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
Wow. SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG? I remember being so hyped up for that game just to be so utterly disappointed....I think I was actually angry too. It's funny since before I entered this thread I wondered if anyone would mention this game since it's definitely one of the most memorable bad gaming experiences I've had. But the fact that someone actually did mention it means we all have radically different tastes .
lol, well yeah, I recognise it was disapointing for what it promissed when it was anounced, but I still enjoyed it and I can say produly I beat it in a 100%, all endings, A in all levels, beated the secret final boss and completed the all-levels single playtrough secret mission. XD

And I was also glad they brought back Shadow's motorcycle on Sonic and Sega all stars Racing.
Old 2011-01-16, 04:18   Link #58
Dcmac

I guess I like a few:

Sengoku Basara - It's really similar to the Warriors games

Dynasty Warriors

Samurai Warriors - I'm a sucker for this hack and slash style, such huge battles.

Valkyria Chronicles - Critics sure like it, but nobody I know does. It's so unappreciated.
Dcmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 06:20   Link #59
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcmac View Post
I guess I like a few:

Sengoku Basara - It's really similar to the Warriors games
I don't remember this game get that many bad reviews or critics or the like, doesn't it?

Most people I talked to online saying it looks cool, and silly (in a good way).
Old 2011-01-16, 06:43   Link #60
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I don't remember this game get that many bad reviews or critics or the like, doesn't it?

Most people I talked to online saying it looks cool, and silly (in a good way).
A local gaming rag (where I live) called Gameaxis once ran an article on one of the SB in the series, and gave it a bad score. It never gave Persona 3 Portable a score anyway, so I don't think it is worth believing.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote