AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-06-23, 21:09   Link #9621
Rokumonsen
Fear the Spear

^ Well, the way they designed those TDs, they actually expect it to be fitted with top covers as an add-on.
Old 2016-06-23, 23:21   Link #9622
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokumonsen View Post
^ Well, the way they designed those TDs, they actually expect it to be fitted with top covers as an add-on.
The whole problem of whether open-top closed over with roofkit is acceptable is a complex one. By precedent JSF does not consider it "dead on arrival" but uses its discretionary authority to set such a high de facto standard for ensuring complete sealing nothing seems to ever finish passing the vehicular inspection. More information is available in Gekkan Senshado 2 or 3 (forgot which one it was but it has BC Freedom trying to push a M10 through the red tape).

skaianDestiny has a valid point that substantively, a properly sealed open top vehicle should not be far inferior in safety to a tank. To which I'll add even if the sealing isn't quite perfect, given the prospensity of people to just open the hatches and expose rather large parts of their anatomy, even an imperfect seal can probably be acceptable as long as the rider voluntarily rides on it (thus accepting the small extra risk).

One wonders whether this insistence on the "perfect seal" is due to the difficulty of ensuring voluntariness or whether this emphasis on "safety" was always a bureaucratic coverup for other concerns, ones that thanks to Karl they'll probably have to give up now.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 06:29   Link #9623
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The M18 fits Turtle teams style once they stopped being the flag tank.

Rabbit Team, if they are to stay together and fight like they have been, probably should go to a M6. Even uses the same guns (more or less) the M3 Lee has, just in one turret. Or use the upgunned M6A2E1 with the 105 mm cannon used on the T28.
Old 2016-06-25, 17:34   Link #9624
Wandering Soul

I'm almost done with the main series so I have to ask, with the exception of the Anzio one, is it essential to watch any of the other OVAs before the movie?
Old 2016-06-25, 17:46   Link #9625
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
I'm almost done with the main series so I have to ask, with the exception of the Anzio one, is it essential to watch any of the other OVAs before the movie?
The OVAs aren't strictly necessary, either providing moments of fun or else explaining how the school ships came about. I'd say that OVA 5 (Snow War) would be most essential to the story, as it shows Erwin and Yukari on their intel-gathering for the Pravda match, and similarly, OVA 6 (Banquet War) showcases the aftermath of Ooarai's victory. With that being said, the others are each worth watching, though

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2017-01-18 at 14:08.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-25, 18:43   Link #9626
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
What ForwardUntoDawn said, the six other OVAs aren't essential but they're a good watch.

Also please post your final impressions here when you're done. I love this anime and it's always great to see another person get into it.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-25, 19:31   Link #9627
Gravitas Free Zone

Snow War's Pravda girls also show up in der Film for a tiny moment, so there's that.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-25, 20:10   Link #9628
Xeiros

Taking full advantage of the already existing established cast of characters, finishing up high school, showing the College years, pro league, and eventual world tournament is both highly redundant and would require real creative effort to not come off as phoned in.

The sheer amount of work needed to even so much as reach the WT is staggering without a big time skip. Even then there's no actual story there. See there's always next year in sports, the next tournament, what have you. You could just keep going forever. You need more than that. Without anything of substance the experience falls flat. Even in season one it was never really about wanting to be the champions or even saving the school. The sport was means to an end as the sole source of conflict in the main characters life which has already been resolved. You need new worthwhile meaningful conflict outside of sport itself moving forward to add weight, meaning and substance to the story.

Coming up with fun and interesting characters to represent each new team. Planning out each action battle as a series of separate yet interconnected set pieces. Paying meticulous attention to the sound design. All of this people have come of expected and yet none of it avoids formulaic redundancy. There's a good reason so few actual matches were shown so far by sports series standards. Making each one unique ain't easy. The hardest disappointments to get over aren't the ones where there's an obvious glaring issue you can point out and say "There! That's where it all went wrong. That's the culprit!" It's when the passion fades way. When you fall out of love. When without even noticing it's happened, you come to the harroqinf realization you no longer care and haven't for a good while.

I find second seasons that aren't so much bad as they're just plain average to be some of the most disappointing. When it's not bad by any stretch but seems void of spark the first season had. It's like season one, but worse. It feels like an assembly line cash grab. That's what I'm afraid a GuP season two could very easily turn out to be. Where you look back and remember how good things used to be. Making a continuation that tells a strong worthwhile story while building upon all that came before it is again no easy feat.

Last edited by Xeiros; 2016-06-25 at 20:21.
Xeiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-25, 20:40   Link #9629
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeiros View Post
The hardest disappointments to get over aren't the ones where there's an obvious glaring issue you can point out and say "There! That's where it all went wrong. That's the culprit!" It's when the passion fades way. When you fall out of love. When without even noticing it's happened, you come to the harroqinf realization you no longer care and haven't for a good while.
The harshest disappointments are when they somehow manage to combine these two elements, so the new product both has WTF moments and a general sense that even the non-WTF portions are simply not put together as well as before, or that they've gone back to the same well once too often.

That being said, I think there is still remaining room to make at least an OK series in Season 2. It is very hard to top der Film in terms of gravity, so I think everyone has to forgive that if they want a Season 2. And if the authors could think of something other than putting in bigger, meaner tanks, we can still have a few good battles that aren't repetitive. Just by shining the flashlight onto the other teams in between battles we should be able to squeeze out 12 more episodes.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-26, 03:11   Link #9630
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'd probably be satisfied with a season about Miho in the world tournament, as that would be a goal and finished something they've mentioned before as the top achievement in this sport.

The other thing is that it be interesting to just see well animated tank sports, as that is something you can't really get in life due to the age and rarity of the remaining World War II tanks. Very few people are going to want to fight in them, plus we can't make them "death proof" with a carbon coating.
Old 2016-06-26, 16:40   Link #9631
Gabrinius
Hic !

they could make an ova of that manga they have a match against a "french" school. (maginot something)

or ovas to cover little army 1 & 2. my emi-chan deserves it.

(ribbon war is trash)

continuing the main story...well, i don't think they will make something good. that's the problem with original series.

and the last mizushima anime (maioga) was the worst anime ever.
Old 2016-06-26, 20:08   Link #9632
00Zy99
In Winter, Is Zeong

What does maioga stand for?

Also, who is that in the sig?
00Zy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-26, 21:20   Link #9633
Gabrinius
Hic !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
What does maioga stand for?

Also, who is that in the sig?
i mentioned maioga to say that even mizushima can make horrible anime, so making much more material of GuP is really risky .

the one in the sig is chris from http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...kore+wa+zombie
Old 2016-06-26, 22:04   Link #9634
Wandering Soul

Thanks for the responses.

Final Impression of the anime: This was a great series and I loved it.

The characters were endearing and the tank battles were fun. I was curious as to how they would make tank to tank battles entertaining, but after the first mock match they had, I realized I had nothing to worry about. Miho's strategies were a treat to watch and it was nice to see how her opponents weren't exactly slouches when it came to the strategy department either.

The main cast was balanced out with all different sorts of personalities which helped them bounce off of one another well. It also helps that some members such as Hana had their own character arcs.

Only real gripe I had was that I felt that Miho's mother wasn't really needed in the series. I recall a scene where she was talking with Maho and it's implied that she wants to disown Miho, but nothing is really done with that. Miho never finds out so it never really affects her and after Oarai's victory she just lets it go. I guess the scene's purpose was to show how much her mother values their family's creed along with showing that underneath her cold exterior, Maho does worry for her sister. In the end though Miho's mother doesn't really do anything, that Maho doesn't already pretty much do. This is a pretty minor gripe and doesn't really hamper my enjoyment.

Only other grips are pretty much inevitable with this type of series, such as some characters not really getting the spot light, but apparently the OVAs solve this. To GuP's credit it did make the girls easier to remember by putting them in groups with similar interests (such as history enthusiasts, volley ball lovers, etc) and gave them something distance to help them stand out a bit.

I would give a score, but I stuck on whether to award a strong 9, 9.5 or an outright 10.

Last edited by Wandering Soul; 2016-06-27 at 10:57.
Wandering Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-26, 22:27   Link #9635
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Yeah, all Shiho was really responsible for was basically blackmailing the "villain" into giving Oarai a chance by threatening not to be a chairperson for that year's World Tournament or something like that which is apparently an extremely important issue for him given how he freaks out and gives in.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-26, 22:45   Link #9636
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Yeah, all Shiho was really responsible for was basically blackmailing the "villain" into giving Oarai a chance by threatening not to be a chairperson for that year's World Tournament or something like that which is apparently an extremely important issue for him given how he freaks out and gives in.
I am just talking about my impression of the anime, I have yet to see the movie or any of the OVAs, but it's nice to know that she'll get to do more.
Old 2016-06-27, 09:56   Link #9637
Jamibu
Ninja Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrinius View Post
they could make an ova of that manga they have a match against a "french" school. (maginot something)

or ovas to cover little army 1 & 2. my emi-chan deserves it.

(ribbon war is trash)

continuing the main story...well, i don't think they will make something good. that's the problem with original series.

and the last mizushima anime (maioga) was the worst anime ever.
You know that when it comes to horror/thriller, it's not Director Tsutomu Mizushima's strong suit(Blood-C and Another). He's more suited in directing comedy/light-hearted stuff. And so far, he's pretty successful when it comes to directing GuP.
Jamibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-27, 12:22   Link #9638
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2016-06-27, 12:29   Link #9639
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

But none from Anchovy or Nishi? lol
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-27, 12:32   Link #9640
Ernietheracefan

I'll take Mika's chocolate..

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks