AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-06-10, 22:32   Link #1
Calca
Expressionless

When I was your age, my fansubs were on VHS!

And we had to pay for the tapes! And we sent out money out to questionable people without knowing if we'd get our product or not! And the quality was horrible! And we loved it!

You kids now with your "IRC" and "3.0MBPS bittorrent" and your "Trustworthy fansub groups" are all spoiled.

Nothing like it was back in the day with dial-up downloads where we get 1 episode of an anime that was only 100MB and with a 280i resolution which took the entire day to download as long as no one tried to make a phone call on that phone line.

Back in the day where you go to bed and sleep 9 hours then wake up and be proud your download of the 1 episode was now all the way at a stellar 60% and 4.7KBPS was considered blazingly fast. Back in my day, we'd get fansubs from old school Direct Connect from the providers and pray that the user didn't suddenly go offline leaving your with a 92% completed file which you then had to go from channel to channel looking for a single user who had the same file while selected "T1" in the options for users.

Those days were the best.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 23:10   Link #2
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I can't tell if your post is serious, trolling, or in some quantum in-between state. Supposedly everything does look romantic when you're young, especially in retrospect. Inconvenient parts notwithstanding. One thing I do recognize is how rewarding something is when you work hard for it, and it works the same way for paying for fansubs on VHS.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 23:12   Link #3
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I can't tell if your post is serious, trolling, or in some quantum in-between state. Supposedly everything does look romantic when you're young, especially in retrospect. Inconvenient parts notwithstanding. I'll leave you grownups to reminisce your superior childhoods.
Can people not read a post and laugh anymore?

It's more like a showing of how far things have come compared to what it used to be like.
Old 2011-06-10, 23:17   Link #4
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetor View Post
Can people not read a post and laugh anymore?

It's more like a showing of how far things have come compared to what it used to be like.
Sorry, my internet sarcasm machine is broken. You'd be surprised at how many nostalgic people long for the old days of this or that on internet forums, and I wrongly assumed you were doing the same. Still, as I said in my post edit, there is value and satisfaction in working hard to get something, and I appreciate that.
Old 2011-06-10, 23:25   Link #5
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Sorry, my internet sarcasm machine is broken. You'd be surprised at how many nostalgic people long for the old days of this or that on internet forums, and I wrongly assumed you were doing the same. Still, as I said in my post edit, there is value and satisfaction in working hard to get something, and I appreciate that.
It was pretty grueling back then. Back when batch torrents were first made, it would take upwards of over a week to get the entire thing with the fastest connection possible.

Now it takes just a couple hours to get an entire series on an anime.
Old 2011-06-10, 23:46   Link #6
Kyuu
=^^=

And at some points -- CHINESE BOOTLEGS were good enough. Oh, how rough of a time it was to be an anime fan during the VHS days. The fools today, just do not understand...

;.;

;.;
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 00:10   Link #7
Kamui4356
Aria Company

VHS... People complain about anime being too expensive today when they can get an entire 12 episode series for 30-40 bucks. Back then it was $30 for 2 episodes subbed or $20 dubbed.
Old 2011-06-11, 00:12   Link #8
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
This topic just made my day.

Indeed we've come so far. Gone are the days of 4K!ds dubs, waiting on what the licensor's have to bring stateside if we want niche titles, and poor Internet conne--[disconnected]
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 00:16   Link #9
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
Indeed we've come so far. Gone are the days of 4K!ds dubs, waiting on what the licensor's have to bring stateside if we want niche titles, and poor Internet conne--[disconnected]
Although I wasn't part of what you all are talking about, I just couldn't stand the 4Kids dubs... They made me want to cry
Old 2011-06-11, 00:30   Link #10
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I'm kind of with Tempester at this thread. I'm just glad Streetor also didn't start reminiscing about his decaying denture and how the canes were made better back in the days because those gave termite a chance. Now a days old people only use canes made out of steel. Poor termites.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 00:32   Link #11
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
VHS... People complain about anime being too expensive today when they can get an entire 12 episode series for 30-40 bucks. Back then it was $30 for 2 episodes subbed or $20 dubbed.
I'm pretty sure 50% of the fansub consumers back in the day were DBZ fans who knew the dub was absolutely awful but had no other way to get the real content of the product.
Old 2011-06-11, 00:46   Link #12
Kyuu
=^^=

Let's see... over the years... people have bitched about subs... we've gone through waves upon waves of fangirlism and fanboyism (that's still continuing), but it's a much lesser degree nowadays... the sub vs dub debate that's still on-going...

Blah blah blah.

On top of all this -- two words:

Carl Macek
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 06:15   Link #13
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Let's include going to Japanese immigrant districts/boroughs to buy manga that you probably couldn't read (probably some people do that yet) to the list of nostalgic stuff. Now we can get fresh from Japan even doujinshi stuff translated!
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 06:37   Link #14
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I would like to not be reminded of the fail from Club Dorothée. French-izing japanese characters was so fucking lame. Having Ariane and Bernard Minet singing the OPs instead of serving us the originals is twice as lame. Cutting out scenes to fit 25 minutes episodes into a 15 minutes timeslot, fuck this shit.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 07:56   Link #15
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

It's nice when you look back at your past and get nostalgia. Though it's a bit lonely at the same time. Though if I were you, there's no way I would be lonely. I can't relate to you that much though since I download full series in less than a day.
Old 2011-06-11, 08:30   Link #16
wontaek

In 1970s, when I was watching some dubbed anime on TV, VHS system were too rare to be useful.
wontaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 08:54   Link #17
gsilver

I just find it ironic that now fully-licensed DVDs tend to cost less than the n-th generation VHS fansubs did back in the day.

...And the slow download speeds and UTTER CRAP quality of the first digital fansubs?

People from back then probably remember Real Player, but do you remember Vivo? Yeah... Things are a lot better now.

Back in my day, I'd pull an all-nighter to download 30-40MB VIV/RM episodes, and liked it.

Though, thankfully, I got into anime in the late 90s, near the end of the VHS days, and was able to move onto CD-trading fairly quickly in the early 2000s. Things got much better in 2004 when I finally got DSL, and no longer had to hoard tons of shows I'd never watch to get enough leverage to get the ones I really wanted, and instead could torrent whatever I wanted.

...Still, I'm continuing to long to watch my beloved movie version of Please Save My Earth again. My VHS is long gone, and no one has ever bothered to digitally fansub it, at least as far as I can tell.
Old 2011-06-11, 12:55   Link #18
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

You know what I miss the most about the good ol' days? Back then, we could take a VHS tape of a series, break it, eat the film and then throw it up.

Yeah, back then, we really knew how to chew on and spit out a series we didn't like. Nowadays, kids have these Crunchyroll's and Hulu's and all matter of funny sounding names of things they cant even put in their mouths, and then go on and say their ''bashing'' it without as much as hitting their screens. Back then, we used to hit our tapes out of their stickers, and then cry about once we realize we paid like £50 on that tape alone after wrestling it out the hands of another snotty brat.

The bloody hell can you eat a crunchyroll I ask you? Disgraceful

I do miss the ability to fast forward through commercials on the VHS though (not exactly anime related)
Old 2011-06-11, 14:27   Link #19
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
You know what I miss the most about the good ol' days? Back then, we could take a VHS tape of a series, break it, eat the film and then throw it up.

Yeah, back then, we really knew how to chew on and spit out a series we didn't like. Nowadays, kids have these Crunchyroll's and Hulu's and all matter of funny sounding names of things they cant even put in their mouths, and then go on and say their ''bashing'' it without as much as hitting their screens. Back then, we used to hit our tapes out of their stickers, and then cry about once we realize we paid like £50 on that tape alone after wrestling it out the hands of another snotty brat.

The bloody hell can you eat a crunchyroll I ask you? Disgraceful
Hey, I still have my Princess Princess DVD which I can toss off a tall building and watch fall to the ground if I truly wish, but I don't want to cause any collateral damage.
Old 2011-06-11, 16:38   Link #20
gsilver

So RE: Please Save My Earth movie version...

Since I was thinking about it, I did some research into how to get it. It turns out that the R2 (Japanese-only) DVD is reasonably easy to get... Must. Resist. Spent too much on manga this month...