Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-05, 06:57   Link #1
tbl
Affably Evil

Character change (Cheerful to Dark)

Hi, I'm looking for an anime or manga series (if it's an anime, I've most likely seen it) where the protagonist (male) is happy, cheerful and kind but then something happens to him and he becomes cold, dark, brooding, angry, maybe even evil, preferably near the start of the series or if not, before the start of the series.

Examples:
The Count of Monte Cristo (anime and Alex Dumas novel)
Ubel Blatt
Kaze no Stigma
Parasyte/Kiseijū
Opposite of Rurouni Kenshin
Area 88
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Last edited by tbl; 2008-01-05 at 21:13.
Old 2008-01-05, 08:03   Link #2
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Death Note Fit The Topic
Naruto We Have Sasuke

Basilisk ~ Koga Nimpo Cho ~ Every Character Turned Bad ..
I Hope I Helped..
Old 2008-01-05, 08:24   Link #3
tbl
Affably Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaos View Post
Death Note Fit The Topic
Naruto We Have Sasuke

Basilisk ~ Koga Nimpo Cho ~ Every Character Turned Bad ..
I Hope I Helped..
Death Note: I'd hardly say Light was ever a cheerful, kind person.
Naruto: Sasuke's not the protagonist, instead we have Naruto *shivers*
Basilisk: Never really got into that one.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-01-05, 09:41   Link #4
NightSamurai

I would say Noa from the anime Kiba definitely goes downhill about midway through the 50 episode anime. I don't want to give away any of the plot details but it is a truly great anime. I felt that I should mention that Noa is not the main character, but he does get a significant amount of screen time (I would say 1/3-1/4 of the anime is focused on him).

Last edited by NightSamurai; 2008-01-05 at 21:10.
Old 2008-01-05, 11:04   Link #5
Oloko

Send a message via MSN to Oloko
I have some anime to suggest you but most of them have a "happy ending" (start cheerful, get dark, get cheerful at the end) so if you only want a dark character till the end they may not be want your looking for.

Infinite Ryvius got this element of cheerful to dark. The main character always try to push is luck until something bad (really bad) happen. The end suck but in general its a good anime.

You must have seen it but there is Paranoia Agent. You watch character's life to get worst to the point they break down. The anime doesn't have a real main character so you get to watch different situation. Its not the main theme of the anime but its still a must-see.

One of my favorite, that you may also have seen, is Haibane Renmei. The main character gets dark after some episodes.

I don't know if it really fit your request but Petite Cossette also has a main character that get dark.

I still have not watched it to the last episode, but Bokurano may also interest you. The children are just having fun in the first episode but it get pretty bad (and doesn't seems to get better later) near the third episode.

Grave of the Fireflies may also have what your looking for.

There is also Hell Girl if you only want to watch different situations of people who have lost hope.

As for manga It's been a while since I read them but I think they have what you want:

Anne Freaks
Battle Royale (the main character doesn't get dark but the other characters do)
Uzumaki (this manga doesn't make sense to me but if I remember well the characters get dark)

I know there is a mistake in "Souufrance" but I lost my .psd
Animes:
Seen all
Masterpieces
Old 2008-01-05, 15:30   Link #6
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Code Geass. Lelouch goes from cheery genius teenager to ruthless revolutionary. Fukuyama Jun does some of the best voice work I've ever heard for Lelouch as well.
Old 2008-01-05, 15:36   Link #7
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

I Second Code Geass
Old 2008-01-05, 21:05   Link #8
tbl
Affably Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oloko View Post
Battle Royale (the main character doesn't get dark but the other characters do)
That kind of defeats the purpose. But I read Battle Royal and it's awesome regardless.

Old 2008-01-05, 22:18   Link #9
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

elfen lied
Closed Thread