AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2015-04-19, 01:03   Link #1
Galaxian

Replacing Sound Card

Never done anything to my computer hardware before. The Realtek High Definition sound card has a couple of years and is showing signs of trouble (a buzz/static sound specially when I'm playing games) and I'm looking for a replacement. Could anyone help me pick one? Like I said, I know next to nothing about computer hardware.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-19, 02:13   Link #2
iceyfw

usb external audio adapter if you really want the easy route for plug and play. amazon examples

or cheap internal sound cards amazon examples. refer to your motherboard manual if you want to know the board has one.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 03:24   Link #3
IceHism

I would recommend either getting a headset or external speakers. Those are often more higher in quality and reputation. Also easier to use.

I recently built a PC and the sound card really isn't that worth.
However, if you want to go the sound card way, any will do since they all connect through PCI-E anyways and all motherboards have those. Just look for ones with decent review on amazon
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 04:09   Link #4
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^Am I misunderstanding something -- don't headsets or external speakers rely on a sound card or an audio adapter of some kind, anyway?

It sounds like the OP is having trouble with an on-board motherboard sound card and is looking for an alternative to bypass the problem, rather than replacing the whole motherboard. Nothing to do with where to invest to get the "best" audio setup on a new rig.

In any case, I did something like that once before because of the same reason. I added a cheap Asus Xonar card combined with custom external driver, UNi. OP, if you go with an Asus, I strongly recommend using the external driver rather than Asus' own. Sound cards add another layer of potential software incompatibilities and sound card companies, including Asus and Creative, suck at making drivers.

Also, per iceyfw's point, make sure you read your motherboard's manual and confirm that there's an available slot and what type it is, and buy the right sound card. PCI and PCI-E are two different things: some sound cards come as PCI, and many motherboards will not have the right slot for it.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 06:30   Link #5
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
^Am I misunderstanding something -- don't headsets or external speakers rely on a sound card or an audio adapter of some kind, anyway?

It sounds like the OP is having trouble with an on-board motherboard sound card and is looking for an alternative to bypass the problem, rather than replacing the whole motherboard. Nothing to do with where to invest to get the "best" audio setup on a new rig.

In any case, I did something like that once before because of the same reason. I added a cheap Asus Xonar card combined with custom external driver, UNi. OP, if you go with an Asus, I strongly recommend using the external driver rather than Asus' own. Sound cards add another layer of potential software incompatibilities and sound card companies, including Asus and Creative, suck at making drivers.

Also, per iceyfw's point, make sure you read your motherboard's manual and confirm that there's an available slot and what type it is, and buy the right sound card. PCI and PCI-E are two different things: some sound cards come as PCI, and many motherboards will not have the right slot for it.

They do not. Speakers and headsets have their own drivers and "sound card" built into them. They work regardless whether your PC has one like my sound works fine with my Logitech headset even though I never bought a sound card.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 06:53   Link #6
larethian

IceHism is right. An output sound device that plugs into usb port have their own DACs. Sound is transmitted digitally via the USB audio layer and you don't need any 'sound cards' (on board or not). OS takes care of everything. If it doesn't, just install the drivers for the device as per normal. Can't really suggest anything since I don't care that much about sound and dont playe games and stuff. Depends on your needs. But make sure you are getting one with USB and not analog jack. If you really want a card, you need to provide more details on your rig. You can google how to pull out system info of your PC.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 12:54   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Follow the first link in iceyfw's posting above. I've used one of these devices when a laptop's audio jack broke. Be careful and turn the volume down before you first connect to it; the one I have produces a much louder output than did the laptop's onboard sound card.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 15:35   Link #8
Galaxian

Thanks for all your advice. I'll try the external audio adapter first.
Old 2015-05-27, 12:21   Link #9
Galaxian

Finally got the external audio adapter and it worked perfectly. I do not hear any static when I use it. Thanks for all of your help.