Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-10-17, 14:11   Link #1
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

4:3 to letterbox convertor.

Hi all!

I'm looking for a program that changes the Aspect ratio of standard 4:3 (like most anime) to the widescreen format (16:9 or something like that). I've tried a program called "riverpast video convertor" but it didn't work at all.

So if anyone could please help out, I would appreciate it a lot.

Please and thank you
Old 2004-10-17, 14:29   Link #2
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Well this would involve either stretching the video to 16:9 dimensions distorting everything terribly or, just as bad, matting out part of the top, bottom, or both and filling the screen with what remains.

Both ways more or less ruin whatever they touch since TV anime, unless made for 16:9, won't fare well in the conversion, either looking bad or cutting off parts of the scene you want to see.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 14:48   Link #3
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Well this would involve either stretching the video to 16:9 dimensions distorting everything terribly or, just as bad, matting out part of the top, bottom, or both and filling the screen with what remains.

Both ways more or less ruin whatever they touch since TV anime, unless made for 16:9, won't fare well in the conversion, either looking bad or cutting off parts of the scene you want to see.
Well I just got this DVD player that plays DIVX and XVID right off the cd. But there was a catch...

Thanks to our good friend overscanning, when i watch anime (unless it was originally widescreen) the subtitles are cut off as well as all the sides by 1/2" or so. There's no zoom out feature on my TV or DVD player. So the only solution is to watch it in widescreen format but I need a convertor to do that.

Also the DIVX player has some feature where you can change the ratio of anime to 16:9 and it didn't look too bad at all. Also when I made a VCD it went to a widescreen ratio and looked pretty good as well. The thing is, if I do the VCD method, I might as well use my regular dvd player (which means i have to convert avi files and that takes forever). Its much easier to just burn to cd as avi and then play them. But the subtitles are cut off.

I hope that came out as some-what understandable (i'm typing fast and thinking on the fly).
Old 2004-10-17, 17:17   Link #4
anthonyxscotland
Highlander

What they are basically saying, is that stretching it out of place is going to ruin the orginal feel. Its like watching Last Exile and compacting it to fit on a 4:3 set, its not a good idea.

ON TOPIC - im sure there was a tread about it here somewhere, failing that Sir Canealot should know about it.
anthonyxscotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 22:49   Link #5
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

As the old saying goes, if you want something done right, do it yourself.

In other words I fixed my problem. So go me!

I used TMPGenc V2.5 and played with some settings and BAM widescreen (and it looks fine if you guys really want to know)

So thanks anyways.
Old 2004-10-18, 15:38   Link #6
dbzgundam
A-Blitz Founder/Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by [A-Flux]Kiva128
Well I just got this DVD player that plays DIVX and XVID right off the cd. But there was a catch...

Thanks to our good friend overscanning, when i watch anime (unless it was originally widescreen) the subtitles are cut off as well as all the sides by 1/2" or so. There's no zoom out feature on my TV or DVD player. So the only solution is to watch it in widescreen format but I need a convertor to do that.

Also the DIVX player has some feature where you can change the ratio of anime to 16:9 and it didn't look too bad at all. Also when I made a VCD it went to a widescreen ratio and looked pretty good as well. The thing is, if I do the VCD method, I might as well use my regular dvd player (which means i have to convert avi files and that takes forever). Its much easier to just burn to cd as avi and then play them. But the subtitles are cut off.

I hope that came out as some-what understandable (i'm typing fast and thinking on the fly).

It's *very* outdated and has tons of misguided statements (which I myself made, because my encoding was pretty foolish with MPEG2 at the time) but www.freewebs.com/fansub2dvd should get you going.
dbzgundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 18:16   Link #7
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

On a related note, I'm of the opinion that subs shouldn't be put at the edge of the screen, so that they're TV safe. Overscan isn't considered by most when it should be.
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote