Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-11, 01:04   Link #861
Envy
Band Nerd ♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socke View Post
1. One Piece

It's cool to hate Naruto, Bleach and Katekyo Hitman Reborn but please never ever, ever, EVER hate One Piece. It had some unknown powers that somewhat prevented people say anything bad about it. If someone do, he or she will be beaten to death, in internet sense.
It's cool to hate Katekyo Hitman REBORN!?

No, I think the problem One Piece fans have with One Piece haters is that they know that the majority of One Piece haters have no reason to have their opinion. Not saying that disliking One Piece is wrong, I'm saying that One Piece gets a lot of unfounded hatred. Actually it gets quite a bit just for being one of the "Big Three", a ton of people shrug it off as trash without even giving it chance solely because it's "Shounen".

If you think it's not just as cool to hate One Piece as it is to hate Naruto and Bleach, you might want to think again. There may be a lot of love for One Piece on the internet, but One Piece has more haters for reasons that are less valid... Like people seeing the 4Kids version. I have a friend that loves Shounen anime (particularly Bleach), he saw the 4Kids version of One Piece and hates it and won't give it another chance. =/

But of course all of the Shounen share the fact that a lot of people won't even ever give them a fair chance and instantly label them as trash. It's sad really. Even though I really don't like Naruto or Bleach, I hate it when people don't even give them a chance and yet try to argue that they're terrible.

To the Shounen hater One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach are all the same thing... And you'd be surprised how numerous these people are.

Because of this I think it's a bit unfair to go around calling One Piece a series that everybody loves. It'd be unfair to say that everybody hates it as well. It falls somewhere in between. (Unless you want to count only the manga and only Japan.)

“The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.”
Old 2010-01-11, 02:45   Link #862
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I don't hate One Piece too, I think it has nice cinematography and the characters really are uniquely designed, but the drawing style is a minus for me (that's why I won't get along with some of Ozamu Tesuka's works) and being effing long is a bigger minus for me.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-01-11, 08:07   Link #863
Socke
Banned

@Envy

Most of my hatred towards One Piece fans more than it show. They are very much like Nazis boasting how superior is OP to any other shounen shows like Naruto, Bleaach and Dragonball. Ironically most of the OP fans today are actually Naruto and Bleach fans before. Its more like "it's popular now, it sucks" syndrome.

Don't get what I try to say here? In 2004-2005 when both Naruto and Bleach not yet licensed in North America, its cool to love both but when Naruto and Bleach was licensed, have lots of newer fans and the very same fans "fans" hated both shows instead. Its true that One Piece was licensed in North America too but it was badly dubbed and hated by the masses and former Naruto and Bleach fans loved One Piece instead. Since One Piece is not as popular(outside Japan) as Naruto and Bleach so its much cooler to love One Piece. I believe the same group of people will hate One Piece when it got popular too someday.

Yes, all this thing can goes to Legend of the Galactic Heroes as well...
Old 2010-01-11, 08:41   Link #864
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
@Envy

Most of my hatred towards One Piece fans more than it show. They are very much like Nazis boasting how superior is OP to any other shounen shows like Naruto, Bleaach and Dragonball. Ironically most of the OP fans today are actually Naruto and Bleach fans before. Its more like "it's popular now, it sucks" syndrome.

Don't get what I try to say here? In 2004-2005 when both Naruto and Bleach not yet licensed in North America, its cool to love both but when Naruto and Bleach was licensed, have lots of newer fans and the very same fans "fans" hated both shows instead. Its true that One Piece was licensed in North America too but it was badly dubbed and hated by the masses and former Naruto and Bleach fans loved One Piece instead. Since One Piece is not as popular(outside Japan) as Naruto and Bleach so its much cooler to love One Piece. I believe the same group of people will hate One Piece when it got popular too someday.

Yes, all this thing can goes to Legend of the Galactic Heroes as well...
So you judge an anime based on it's fans?
Old 2010-01-11, 12:05   Link #865
Envy
Band Nerd ♥
*Graphic Designer

Actually a lot of people hate One Piece just because it's one of the "Big 3" just as I said.

I don't believe that One Piece is loved because it's not as popular... I never even liked Naruto and Bleach was never anything too special to me. I went to all three with an equally open mind and came out loving only One Piece, not based on any hype or anything.

And I think it's wrong to judge an anime by its fans. You should judge it by its content and only its content, seriously.

“The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.”
Old 2010-01-11, 14:24   Link #866
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I'll bite.

One Piece
You know, I really tried to like this show, because pirates are awesome and I love pirates. But I just couldn't get over the art style. I just... don't like it. It looks absolutely awful to me. That, coupled with the first several episodes being extremely dull and the series being insanely long... just didn't do it for me.

Bleach
I liked this show quite a bit until the Soul Society arc, then I lost interest. I tried coming back to it a few times, but due to my great love of character death as a dramatic device--and the lack of any permanent death for anyone in this show, it just didn't work out for me.

Most shonen martial-arts series (Naruto, Dragonball, etc)
I just... I just can't like them. I feel bored watching them. They all seem very formulaic, like a Bioware RPG. Change the names and the faces and you can't tell one from the next it seems. It just feels childish to me as well, but not in a good way--while I definitely enjoy Studio Ghibli films, Don Bluth films, older Disney films explicitly designed for children, I still can't seem to get into any shonen martial-arts series without feeling horribly out of place.

Most "Mons" shows (Pokemon, Digimon, etc)
For most of the same reasons as the above.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
It used to be super-popular to slob Eva's knob, but now a lot more haters are coming out of the woodwork, especially since the Rebuild of Evangelion movies are starkly revealing their predecessor's flaws. NGE was important--definitely for Gainax, as it saved the company from bankruptcy, but as a story it's not that good. The remake movies are doing a great job at taking the bits and pieces of what was good about NGE and expanding them into something different yet better, but the original TV series was just... not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
*extreme amounts of hatedom*
Wow, you're like the Dr. David Thorpe of anime. O.O
Old 2010-01-11, 18:59   Link #867
Shyne

I think that Naruto seems to be really popular but I tried to watch it but i am not a fan at all.

Old 2010-01-11, 22:43   Link #868
Ermes Marana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Black Lagoon - An action series requires one person to like. But when the male lead is a spineless parasite and everyone else are sociopathic lunatics, what's to like?! And action - c'mon, you call that action?! For the love of...Blowing things up is not the way to properly thrill? Lacked climax, lacked a cool feeling, lacked anyone to like, lacked a story to care about.

Well there is your mistake. Black Lagoon would be a failure if it tried to make everything "cool."

It isn't some miserable show like Code Geass, which serves up brain-killing sludge to an audience dazzled by "coolness".

Black Lagoon is filled with the kind of character that actually makes sense in a story about fighting and killing. And yeah... that means most of them are sociopathic lunatics and many are uncool. So the question becomes... do you really want to take part in this? Do you want to picture yourself in this world? The main character asks himself this same question, and the story of how he develops his place in that world is very interesting (especially in the 2nd season).

Black Lagoon is actually an excellent antidote to the poison of empty Code Geass type fantasies.
Old 2010-01-11, 23:49   Link #869
Traece
:cool:

You know to be perfectly honest I kind of hate One Piece as well.

I understand the concept and I think it's damned interesting. It's just that there was so much done wrong with such a great idea. Then there's the issue of the English version having its male lead's voice changed like, 1/8th of the way through to a voice that was absolutely horrid by comparison. Not to mention it really starts to feel just redundant with all the dragging on and sloshing their feet through the swamp to keep people interested.

I also have a deep distaste for FLCL. I don't understand why people like that show. It doesn't make sense in the slightest. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei makes more sense than it does! Do you know how hard it is to say that Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei makes sense?! You can only say that by comparison.
Old 2010-01-11, 23:53   Link #870
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermes Marana View Post
Well there is your mistake. Black Lagoon would be a failure if it tried to make everything "cool."

It isn't some miserable show like Code Geass, which serves up brain-killing sludge to an audience dazzled by "coolness".

Black Lagoon is filled with the kind of character that actually makes sense in a story about fighting and killing. And yeah... that means most of them are sociopathic lunatics and many are uncool. So the question becomes... do you really want to take part in this? Do you want to picture yourself in this world? The main character asks himself this same question, and the story of how he develops his place in that world is very interesting (especially in the 2nd season).

Black Lagoon is actually an excellent antidote to the poison of empty Code Geass type fantasies.
Black Lagoon is kind of like... if the unholy bastard lovechild of Quentin Tarantino and Frank Miller grew up in Japan and became a mangaka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
I also have a deep distaste for FLCL. I don't understand why people like that show. It doesn't make sense in the slightest. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei makes more sense than it does! Do you know how hard it is to say that Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei makes sense?! You can only say that by comparison.
FLCL just left me blinking, blank stare, wondering WTF just happened, but Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is fucking awesome, srsly.
Old 2010-01-12, 21:09   Link #871
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Nasu stuff (Yes, I know I'm in the minority on this)

Hellsing
Old 2010-01-12, 22:47   Link #872
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
@Envy

You know why One Piece is so good? Because unlike Bleach, Naruto, Hitman reborn, etc., when it's NOT GOOD, it's still kinda good...It doesn't go on months and months and months in a row of not being good at all...Pretty much every other shonen-fighter does...

I can't remember the last time One Piece upset me for weeks upon weeks upon weeks...I can come-up with full years of Naruto eps that have, and currently Bleach is once again caught in it's cyclical $hit cycle...Hitman reborn, jesus feels like I need a time machine just to get to the good part of this time warp arc...

One Piece just doesn't suck for long stretches and uber frustrate it's fanbase for long periods of time...That's 1 of the many reasons (Certainly not the only reason) it's kinda respected more...IIRC it's the highest rated anime in japan and has been for several years...That has to mean something and I DO think it does...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner
Black Lagoon - An action series requires one person to like. But when the male lead is a spineless parasite and everyone else are sociopathic lunatics, what's to like?! And action - c'mon, you call that action?! For the love of...Blowing things up is not the way to properly thrill? Lacked climax, lacked a cool feeling, lacked anyone to like, lacked a story to care about.
Quoted for so much truth...It's like my guy-gene kept telling me I should love this show, and creme all over myself at it's very presence, but it's honestly pretty meh and has zero connection with Cowboy Bebop which it tries to whore in it's title for some odd reason...It has it's good parts like most shoot'em ups do, but overall it's really rather pedestrian from all your criteria...

Quote:
Darker than Black - More sociopaths....and NO ACTION...grrrr. Not to mention a C.C. ripoff, a complete absence of a tangible story that ever amounts to anything (and it STILL HASN'T after a 2nd season), characters so devoid of anything that giving a damn about them is pointless. Boring, bland, brainless. I feel so sad Rie Fu had her music put to this crap and that this is the only thing making Studio Bones money these days...
Add Xam'd Lost Memories to make it 2 of a kind...and Yoko Kanno's music is what made this show, but even she ditched S2...It's very frustrating because the show has enuff content to really be good, but the lack of focus and direction just kills it...When I watch it I have no idea WHAT I should really care about...So I lurk for the action which is just good enuff to impress the hell outta you yet frustrate the hell outta you for being quicker than a blink of the eye most times...
Old 2010-01-12, 23:11   Link #873
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
The Prince of Tennis

I don't see what is so interesting about an overpowered nearly unbeatable tennis player with arrogance streak with an equally uninteresting cast ofd characters who actually have more life than Ryoma.
Old 2010-01-12, 23:23   Link #874
Boduar

Eureka 7 had me beating my head against a wall for about 10% of the time I was watching it (basically anytime the stupid kids show up regardless of whether they do anything, or the main characters just do random stupid nonsense bullshit). I somehow finished it and I always see people recommending it or saying how good it is for various reasons but I just could not stand it. Only reason I finished is because at the time I held to strict beliefs if you watched 20+ episodes you might as well finish it (and it only got really annoying for me like 1/3-1/2 of the way through).

I have to also say I didnt like cowboy bebop but thats most likely because I didnt like the art and couldnt get into the story at all. TBH I probably didnt give it a fair chance but for now its staying in my did not like category.
Old 2010-01-13, 00:46   Link #875
Seitsuki
Onee!

Code Geass S1 was awesome, but the S2 ending had me hitting my head on a brick wall topped with barbed wire for ages
Naruto. Just... Naruto.
And Clannad (I love Clannad, but where's mah Tomoyo ending D:<)
Old 2010-01-13, 01:01   Link #876
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikita View Post
And Clannad (I love Clannad, but where's mah Tomoyo ending D:<)
Have you watched the OVA for first season?
Spoiler for Clannad:
MAL
Old 2010-01-13, 01:10   Link #877
Seitsuki
Onee!

Damn right. Just sad that TomoTomo isn't canon ;_;
And just now I've remembered; the Zero no Tsukaima anime was horrible. After reading the light novels I watched s1 and s2 and thought "wtf??" But now there's even a s3. Some people out there have broken taste.
Old 2010-01-13, 02:13   Link #878
ginytah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Have you watched the OVA for first season?
Spoiler for Clannad:
you should finish the After story, one of the best anime ever in my opinion
Old 2010-01-13, 02:28   Link #879
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginytah View Post
you should finish the After story, one of the best anime ever in my opinion
Planning to, I just got done watching more of it a few minute ago xD.
MAL
Old 2010-01-13, 05:14   Link #880
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

So many people love Azumanga Daioh. Except the first three episodes felt like torture to me and i just dropped it promptly after.
Closed Thread