AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-05-06, 21:36   Link #661
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

yeah, Thor is one of the better super hero movies. i watched Rio today. cute birds are cute.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 23:29   Link #662
james0246

Thor

There is lots of good and bad in this new Marvel Superhero feature:

The Good –
  • Chris Hemsworth is quite good as the titular character Thor. And while his conversion from egotistical childish Godling to responsible and wise Man-God is quite simplistic, it is entirely believable and extremely well done. It certainly helps that Hemsworth is quite beautiful to look at, both in and out of clothing (It's nice to have a summer feature where the male flesh is ogled more than the female ). Hemsworth really picks up steam once he hits Earth. In fact the entire 2nd act of the film is a delight, as Hemsworth wanders around a small New Mexico town, acting the part of a god who slowly learns humility and love (plus he's funny as hell ).
  • Kenneth Branagh has managed to instill some solid Shakespearean drama into this strange action film, especially with the very interesting character of Loki (played by Tom Hiddleston, who instills the character with a deep pathos in what becomes a Greek tragedy) who grapples with his love and hate for both brother Thor (chosen successor to the throne of Asgard) and his slightly estranged father Odin.
  • Clark Gregg reprising his role as S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Phil Coulson is always fun. And a special kudos to Branagh and the writers for making the Marvel Universe hints far more organic and natural than in previous Avengers titles. And, while the S.H.I.E.L.D. story takes up a bit too much time in the 3rd act, it’s still well done.
  • Kat Dennings as Darcy (a co-worker of Natalie Portman's character Jane) is a blast (Kat Dennings' as a sarcastic nerd + glasses = Pure Hotness).

The Bad-
  • While Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman have quite a bit of chemistry in their various scenes, their blossoming relationship makes little to no sense, and their supposed love feels hollow. I like both actor’s performances quite well (I already mentioned Hemsworth, but Portman is also quite fun as she literally and figuratively lets her hair down and seems to simply enjoy the character and the dialogue), but the story simply doesn’t connect the two characters together strongly enough.
  • The Asgard Three were a complete waste of time. Not only were their many scenes superfluous, but they were boring and detracted from the flow of the 2nd act (which should have focused more on Thor and Jane’s blossoming relationship). The entire group could have been cut down to one character (Sif), and their various sections cut down to a scant minute or so in the entire film.
  • In fact, the entire Asgard section felt forced and uninteresting. While I like the drama of sons and fathers struggling against each other (for various reasons), too much time was spent in Asgard that should have been spent on Earth with Thor and Jane. If nothing else, an additionally 15 or so minutes was needed to fully explore the situations on Earth and Asgard, but for whatever reason Branagh decided against this.
  • I also have various problems with the editing (the fight scenes were atrocious and badly choreographed), and the constant use of dutch angles became annoying very quickly.
All in all, the film was quite fun and a worthy follow-up to Iron Man (forgive me if I gloss over Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk). More than anything, this film has whet my appetite for Captain America. 75/100.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 08:19   Link #663
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Thor [*]In fact, the entire Asgard section felt forced and uninteresting. While I like the drama of sons and fathers struggling against each other (for various reasons), too much time was spent in Asgard that should have been spent on Earth with Thor and Jane. If nothing else, an additionally 15 or so minutes was needed to fully explore the situations on Earth and Asgard, but for whatever reason Branagh decided against this.
This is what I thought as well, just a little too much time spent on Asgard when Thor was on Earth, they really needed to spend time with Thor and his time on Earth, I think it might have been good to have been shown a slightly better time line of his time spent on Earth.
It seemed short and while some people can change in a short time I felt there wasn't enough detail for Thor's changes.

And I have to agree Hemsworth did a great job here. I love how he captured the arrogance of a god, here that actually surprised me as i didn't expect it tbh.

And yes I will say he one handsome bugger
Old 2011-05-21, 11:37   Link #664
Haladflire65
*Artist

I saw Taken (2008) with Liam Neeson last night, the unrated extended version I have to say there were a few plot holes and required much suspension of belief (and I wanted to hit Bryan's wife) but it was so baddass! I loved it, the last couple scenes had me on the edge of my seat. Pure awesome entertainment!
Old 2011-05-23, 02:56   Link #665
Father Hentai

I had the oppurtunity to be on the premiere of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides in Munich.

Popcorn movie although weaker than the previous parts. Annoying part was the new "original" dub voice of Johnny Depp. He sounds more like a scolded drunk pirate rather than a funny "fluffy" Jack Sparrow.
Old 2011-05-23, 09:54   Link #666
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I went to see Machete last night. This movie was so ridiculously bad that it's actually worth watching. Now, the premise of the movie actually makes sense, in which it talks about the struggle of people in Mexico and the reason why they try so hard to get over the border to start a new, perhaps better life, and a dirty Senator who will stop at nothing to prevent them from gaining some hope in their already miserable lives. The way it's done is just way over the top, packed with clichès and stereotypes, overexaggerated action scenes that make no sense at all, and the list goes on. The ridiculousness of the action scenes cracked me up really bad. Overall score: 4/10
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 11:34   Link #667
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I'm one of the few people who watched Source code instead of Thor While somewhat familiar, the plot was certainly intriguing, leaving some questions unanswered but still delivering a satisfying end...recommended to anyone who's into mystery...
That being said, I'll be watching Thor next week, hope it's worth half the ticket I'm gonna pay for it!
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-27, 20:33   Link #668
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

I just watched Seven Pounds. It was pretty moving but I felt like the other 6 characters were sort of just superficially brushed over compared to Emily--although I do understand due to the limitations of a movie.
Old 2011-05-30, 22:46   Link #669
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Avatar and I hate this fucking movie so much it was to long and boring as hell. After the first hour of watching it was so boring after the second hour of watching this crap I was smashing my face into my desk. Finely after 3 fucking hours of watching it took all my will power not to snap the disc in two it was just to long and stupid ill never watch that crappy movie again
Old 2011-05-31, 14:05   Link #670
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Finely after 3 fucking hours of watching it took all my will power not to snap the disc in two it was just to long and stupid ill never watch that crappy movie again
I feel the same way about Pearl Harbor.
Old 2011-06-03, 16:35   Link #671
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Just saw Priest and at best I thought it was ok.

The best bit was the Priest's first fight when he opens his bible full of nice shiny death stars

Action was ok, problem being it kinda makes hicks look like he could handle himself somewhat yet we never really see much from him other than that he survived throughout.
And well the world isn't exactly much to look at compared to say Book of Eli.
Plot was ok as well, nothing great but nothing terrible either, so yes ok on the whole.
If it ever does get a 2nd outting, I'm inclined to see it but not at the cinema too expensive for this type of film series.
Old 2011-06-03, 20:46   Link #672
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 1. Talk about a punch to the soul.
Old 2011-06-04, 06:18   Link #673
SMT
*Artist

Just watched The Hangover Part II yesterday and it's made of pure win. Pretty entertaining and might be even better than the first one.

Last edited by SMT; 2011-06-04 at 16:57.
SMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 10:13   Link #674
james0246

For the big movies...

Fast Five - saw it awhile ago, but this film is truly the first film of the summer. Made of pure popcorn entertainment win, F5 is an absolute orgiastic delight of action and fun with some great character interactions (what the characters lack in depth they make up for in wonderful exchanges and interactions) and a very satisfying story which draws together all the elements of the series into one epic heist. 78/100.

Kung Fu Panda 2 - It's not often that you encounter such a well done sequel. Unlike many films, where the main character has to relearn the same lessons they've already fought for in the first film, KFP 2 takes the Po that has already learned about being a Kung Fu master, and adds much needed character drama and history to the series. So much is done right with this very mature sequel, its tough to focus on any one thing (great voice acting from Jack Black, Angelina Jolie (who has a larger role this time around, but still too small), Gary Oldman (who is phenomenal as the villain), Michelle Yeoh, and of course James Hong who is a complete delight as Po's father; wonderful animation (even different styles!) and DreamWorks superb 3D (DreamWorks is one of the few studios that can do 3D right); great drama (there is actual character death! How often does that occur in children's animation?); superb action sequences; hilarious comedy (which has also grown with the sequel, as Po has less prat falls, but more physical gags); etc). The only really bad thing is the fact that to many of the characters are not as fleshed out as they should be (this is most noticeable with the Fantastic Five). All in all, a solid 85/100.

Pirates of the Caribbean 4: something something - fun entry into a nearly dead series, but Johnny Depp manages to breathe some life back into the franchise, and the hotness of Penelope Cruz and whoever the mermaid chick is certainly help. Still, fairly mediocre story, and whenever the camera switches from Jack to anyone else, the audiences interest wavers and the story bogs down...65/100.

Hangover 2 - I did love the first film, rating it one of my favourite comedies of 2009, so I was excited to learn to see the second film. Sadly, it was an almost complete failure of a film and a definite failure as a sequel (since there has been no character growth and the actions and jokes are nearly identical between films). There's not much good I can say about the film (I still like Brad Cooper, and Ed Helms is worth a laugh or two) and so much bad I could go into (arguably the worst thing for me was the complete destruction of Zach Galifianakis' character; what was before a semi-sweet (somewhat cute) and ever fun social outcast was turned into a miserable misanthrope that literally ruins people’s lives for no reason, the fact that anyone wishes to interact with this character after the events of this film is a complete mystery), but I don't have the time. So, 50/100...

X-Men: First Class - yet another extraordinarily fun popcorn summer film. Great action set-pieces abound in the extremely worthy prequel to the X-Men franchise, but it is the great acting from the 2 leads (James McAvoy as Charles Xavier and Michael Fassbender as Erik Lehnsherr/Magneto ) that turns this from a simple action flick into something far more interesting. It also helps that the story is quite interesting and fun, with great characters (the "first class" is a lot of fun, and their scenes together are very well done, especially the later montage training sequence which is pitch perfect), great villains (Kevin Bacon is surprisingly good as the uber-powerful Sebastian Shaw), good special effects, and some damn good bgm. 83/100.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 10:56   Link #675
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Saw Kung Fu Panda 2 last weekend and I pretty much agree with James' assessment. Although it's aimed at kids the story was very well done. Very unusual for a sequel. I especially loved Gary Oldman as The Peacock.
Old 2011-06-04, 11:45   Link #676
Kallen4life

ok ..

Fast Five - more cars, girls and testosterone .. Dom/Brian HoYay and of course, they brought in thE Rock .. definitely requires suspension of disbelief and possibly even MST3K Mantra for the safe tugging scene, but a very solid popcorn blockbuster .. ~8/10

POtC : OST - Jack Sparrow and Barbossa - good .. rest - not so good .. that is all .. ~7/10

Hangover 2 - definitely copies the first film, but I knew that and am fine with it .. Alan's character was ruined somewhat, but ultimately, it had enough jokes and laughs for me to get an 8/10 (first one is 9+/10)

X-men First Class - the best unexpected surprise I had the pleasure of watching in the last few years .. the plot was good, backed by some fine acting (the 2 leads stand out, but especially Michael Fassbender as Magneto - fantastic .. Mags was always my fav character, but this is just icing on the cake .. first Sir Ian McKellen and then this) and action .. I see no big or even average flaws (continuity non-withstanding .. they don't need to limit themselves by the first trilogy, much less Origins) .. 9/10
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 23:23   Link #677
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

I just watched X-Men: First Class. I loved the movie and it provided good background information and new insight for me into the characters in the original trilogy. I will definitely be watching those again too

Spoiler for Favorite part of the movie:
Old 2011-06-05, 01:23   Link #678
Kafriel
Senior Guest

The hangover part II: copy-paste half of the original right into the sequel, but it certainly had its fun parts and surprises (not all so fun...). There were still a few questions left unanswered in the end, but oh well...they got a monkey! But it doesn't make up for it. 7/10
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 01:49   Link #679
yeahitschris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
I just watched X-Men: First Class. I loved the movie and it provided good background information and new insight for me into the characters in the original trilogy. I will definitely be watching those again too

mine would have to be

Old 2011-06-05, 04:01   Link #680
Kallen4life

yes that cameo was EPIC in First Class .. srsly, just a perfect cameo
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live-action, movie, movies