AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-10-08, 14:43   Link #21
marvelB

BTW, it's been pointed out a bunch of times elsewhere, but Law's full name is not only a reference to the Battle of Trafalgar, but the Battle of Waterloo, as well.

And while we're on that subject..... you know that one large pirate that Law and B5 are fighting during the montage?

^You can see from the bounty poster on the right-hand side that his name is "Wellington". And the Duke of Wellington would make for yet another reference to the Battle of Waterloo! My, my, isn't Oda getting heavy with the historical references here!
Old 2014-10-08, 14:49   Link #22
itachi-san314

^Ha! That's awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
I can't be the only one in the fandom annoyed with this here.
it should be impossible to be annoyed at this point because we have literally no idea what the "D" means. i think you and anyone else annoyed by this development should wait for the explanation first. maybe it just stands for "Danger"
Old 2014-10-08, 15:28   Link #23
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
did u get mad too when people left and right were shown to have Haoshoku Haki? it's basically the same concept right?
as the series continues more people will be shown to have Haoshoku Haki...
same thing happened with super saiyan
I was annoyed at first with people other than Luffy having it cuz every one being all " Wowz! Only rare people have it!" Than more and more people in the New World did, though I began to understand it cuz it seems people who have what it takes to survive in the New World and have such raw power have it.

However in my opinion again, Will of D is different. I already explained why.
While every ones saying it's great cuz it means will finally get some explanations on it, I wish it could have been done differently. I liked it better when the Will of D belonged to the more powerful people of the Sea, when I felt it had meaning.

I think we already knew or had a feeling why people like Garp / Black Beard / Dragon all had it along with Luffy, now it feels like " What? "

But than again that's me, hope Kid gets it than. I might change my mind on the situation if all three rivals get it I guess

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Old 2014-10-08, 16:47   Link #24
ellifeedn
Thinker

Then how did you feel about Saul being a D.?
Old 2014-10-08, 17:23   Link #25
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Then how did you feel about Saul being a D.?
OUTRAGED!!!

just kidding but seriously i dont get the complaints about Law not being good enough compared to others. when punk hazard arc was current, people were complaining he was too powerful
Old 2014-10-08, 17:36   Link #26
Ultragunner

Quote:
I was annoyed at first with people other than Luffy having it cuz every one being all " Wowz! Only rare people have it!" Than more and more people in the New World did, though I began to understand it cuz it seems people who have what it takes to survive in the New World and have such raw power have it.

However in my opinion again, Will of D is different. I already explained why.
While every ones saying it's great cuz it means will finally get some explanations on it, I wish it could have been done differently. I liked it better when the Will of D belonged to the more powerful people of the Sea, when I felt it had meaning.

I think we already knew or had a feeling why people like Garp / Black Beard / Dragon all had it along with Luffy, now it feels like " What? "

But than again that's me, hope Kid gets it than. I might change my mind on the situation if all three rivals get it I guess
Yup, it's a big "WHATTT???" on our face.

I do think your expectation has been a bit off from the start.
The "D" thing is unlikely to be anything related to bloodline or power, Saul was a prime example (granted he was a vice-admiral, but he was NOT a real bigshot back then)

Even Rouge didn't appear to be powerful, of course her willpower was beyond imagination.

the one thing in common that we have seen so far with the "D" is that they are no "puppet" they have their own will and ready to "challenge" ans question the world (in all sort of ways), even when they may end up dying (they are always seen to die smiling)

All in all, I personally like it better here, Oda makes the "D" not so much of a revered privilege for any particular character , but rather myterious, intriguing and perhaps important for future development

Last edited by Ultragunner; 2014-10-08 at 17:50.
Old 2014-10-08, 18:11   Link #27
danielevo

I have a really good source about one piece history, here :
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gKjxZl-mqfQ

U should watch it until the very end.. i just sharing information.
But that just a theory though.
Old 2014-10-08, 20:13   Link #28
adriankhoo153

Basically I think D is just someone with a very strong WILL.
Even they are not powerful, the WILL in them are super strong hence they could and will accomplished any mission they set out.
Old 2014-10-08, 20:16   Link #29
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriankhoo153 View Post
Basically I think D is just someone with a very strong WILL.
Even they are not powerful, the WILL in them are super strong hence they could and will accomplished any mission they set out.
we know that they get the name as little kids or before they are born so that's not it. i think it has to be some kind of lineage reason
Old 2014-10-08, 21:31   Link #30
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 763
Nice chapter. Where getting closer to the the D. initials and why they are so despised and hunted. So does this means the father has the D. initials if the last name Watel is the mothers name?

-Its nice to see a different side of Daflamingo and the crew. They almost seem like a real family. Oda does a real good job of building backgrounds for the individual crews in the one piece universe.

-If Corason dies because of Daflamingo does that mean there is going to be a fight between the two. If so I wonder how strong Corason is?

-Third I noticed not all of the Crew members have their devil fruits at the same time. Dalfamingo, Law, Corason, Baby 5, Buffalo, Jora, Senor Pink, even the Gladius does not seem like they have their fruit. Only two people who seem to have their fruit, the two executives trebol and Diamonte.

Devil Fruit Treasure?
Finally Daflamingo's crew had nice pick of the litter when it comes to Devil Fruits. Just think throughout this arch(or at the ending) we might get to see more powerful Devil fruits. After all Daflamingo did manage to recover the Mera Mera No Mi. If Daflamingo falls, raiding is devil fruit stash is going to be huge. Almost everyone in Daflamingo's crew has devil fruits, I think the Straw Hat crew should consider this idea after mastering their haki. Finally if I were Burgess and I knew Black Beard was looking for powerful fruits then that would be a nice place to start.

Dalfamingo Dying in this Arch?
There are way to many people gunning for Daflamingo. The others who are supposed to be his allies or partners(Marines, Yonkou, CP0, Celetial Dragon) are there just because they have to not because they want to be. Once Dalfamingo loses his leverage I don't know how he is going to survive. He is going to be the most hunted man in One Piece. The question is who going to get to Daflamingo first? Will he off himself if this goes south? I could see Baby 5 and Buffalo joining Laws crew if the Donquixote pirates fall apart. Maybe it will be a last stand with Dalfamingo and his crew dying. Right now I only see a violent end for him and his crew, he has already lost Vergo and Monet. But if Daflamingo really hates the celetial dragon we might also get to see the secret behind the treasure. Right now Daflamingo maybe screwed but he is a cornered animal and he going to take someone with him. The end game with Dalfamingo should be entertaining.

Last edited by grey_1960; 2014-10-08 at 21:55.
Old 2014-10-08, 22:04   Link #31
ronin myael
lost ronin

Great new chapter! That was a huge reveal and I'm even starting to feel sorry for Doffy. Oda usually doesn't offer any sort of excuse for his villains' behavior, he usually just attributes their villainy to ambition or he simply makes them evil and twisted. But in Doffy's case, Oda has made an exception and I think he has made it clear that Doffy is not what he seems to be.
Old 2014-10-08, 22:23   Link #32
Tuor

Someone earlier said that Robin is the first character to mention the "Will of D", but I'm pretty sure the Doctor lady that taught Chopper mentioned it first during the Drum Island arc.

And I don't think that Doffy *hates* "the D". I think he's *afraid* of it. I think he knows something about what it means, and because it scares him, he wants to attack it and drive it away from him.

Personally, I think the "D" stands for "Destiny". Something happened during the missing century that locked the destinies of the vast majority of people in the world, but those with the Will of D are not bound. Instead, they're able (if they choose) to forge their own destinies, and this can screw up whatever the World Government did (and then hid away).

Note that not everyone with "D" in their name is an enemy of the World Government. Garp is the most obvious example. However, I would be surprised if anyone in Marie Jolie would knowingly allow someone with D in their name to live there. I would hazard a guess that NONE of the Celestial Dragons have a D in their name.

At any rate, we might finally learn something beyond all of this speculation. I'm even a *little* be more sympathetic towards Doffy, but in the end he chose to be an evil rat-bastard and to continue the cycle of hatred and death (which was broken on Fishman Island).
Old 2014-10-08, 22:47   Link #33
golgo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
BTW, it's been pointed out a bunch of times elsewhere, but Law's full name is not only a reference to the Battle of Trafalgar, but the Battle of Waterloo, as well.

And while we're on that subject..... you know that one large pirate that Law and B5 are fighting during the montage?

^You can see from the bounty poster on the right-hand side that his name is "Wellington". And the Duke of Wellington would make for yet another reference to the Battle of Waterloo! My, my, isn't Oda getting heavy with the historical references here!
Nice catch.

As for the chapter. Wow. Just wow.

Was not expecting Law to be a D. My hunch is that D are the arch enemies of the celestial dragons. D are from the kingdom that originally built the poneglyphs and during the void century fought and lost to those that formed the world government and became celestial dragons. This is why CD's and D's do not get along, they are fundamental enemies.

As for DD and his funky glasses. I wonder if he needs those glasses to see his strings and whether or not having them makes him completely vulnerable or his DF useless. Perhaps this may be a secret Luffy will unlock during his battle. So far I can't see how Luffy is gonna beat him convincingly.

Last edited by golgo13; 2014-10-08 at 22:47. Reason: sp
Old 2014-10-09, 00:06   Link #34
BPD Renegade

People joked about it, but I never actually thought Law had any real potential of being a D. I guess Corazon hiding that fact or maybe shielding Law from Doffy is going to be the reason why he gets killed later. Looking forward to getting at least a hint about what D. is from Corazon though.

It was amusing finding Corazon sprawled in every other panel during the montage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopjopjop View Post
Probably nothing that important. It's just like how some parents put their own names as part of the name of their child.

Pretty sure that's what Law would've said if he wasn't interrupted by Baby-5.
If we've learned anything about One Piece, it's that pretty much every single detail will rear its butt again at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
Someone earlier said that Robin is the first character to mention the "Will of D", but I'm pretty sure the Doctor lady that taught Chopper mentioned it first during the Drum Island arc.
It was when the SH set off with Chopper. Dr. Kureha revealed that Gold Roger was actually Gol D. Roger.
Quote:
-snip-
Gin-san will be displeased...
Old 2014-10-09, 04:45   Link #35
ri0

Epic chapter, even apart from Law's real name relevation! You gotta love how Oda puts so much effort in those little things such as the ice licking Buffalo, Corazon's real name and his goofing, the Wellington reference as well as the string marks on his body when he lies there defeated.

It was also even more hinted, that Law gets rid of the poison with the help of the Ope Ope no Mi, which has become my favorite fruit by far. The flexibility it provides is really insane.

I hope the flashback brings more light into D's history. It's been a long time since I was so interested in a flashback!
Old 2014-10-09, 09:05   Link #36
ArabianLuffy
One King One Legend

Enough D members. The room is so full of them. Jeez... look at that in Wiki. Only one seat left. I bet Shanks is one of them too.
Old 2014-10-09, 11:30   Link #37
ricksta760

Good chapter. I like how it filled us in on Doffy & Corazon's Past. And Traffy a D??? super surprised me. I didn't see that coming at all. It doesn't bother me one bit. I like trafalgar law and he's really strong and smart especially since he put together this intricate plan to take down Doffy and the SMILE with Luffy. Can't wait for next week's chapter.
Old 2014-10-09, 12:02   Link #38
ellifeedn
Thinker

I have to wonder, what's to stop anyone from claiming to have D. in their name? If word gets out about Law, people might claim that he's respecting Luffy by adopting it.
Old 2014-10-09, 12:27   Link #39
Best_name_ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I have to wonder, what's to stop anyone from claiming to have D. in their name? If word gets out about Law, people might claim that he's respecting Luffy by adopting it.
That will be according to the people`s opinion only. They can think what they want about Law or anybody else if they want too. And if they are capable of thinking or understanding the emphasis behind the Will of D that is. The citizens of the One Piece Universe are too ignorant and naive.

The `Will of D.` is not something that is commonly spoken in the One Piece Universe. Hell, most of the citizens don`t know what the Will of D. is even. Only the ones with wisdom and open minded mentality would know a bit about the Will of D., such as:

- Dr. Kureha: Chopper`s former Medical Teacher. She mentioned something about `D`s will is still Alive` meaning she has heard about that at least once and by the looks of it, understands it`s importance in the One Piece World.

- Whitebeard knows about after being told about it by Gol D. Roger a long time ago.

- Monkey D. Dragon also knows about it most likely

- Luffy doesn`t know about it though.

and so forth.

ALSO great enemies know about the Will of D. as well, such as:

- The World Goverment
- The Celestial Dragons most likely as well
and so forth

That`s why the World Government tries to keep it hush-hush in regards to this matter.

So what`s my point to all this: Well if a person is truly a D. and has the initial D. then he has to prove it by the following:

- Either with Actions like Luffy

OR

- By knowing the True meaning behind the initial D.

Also to add: (Based on observation only)

- Must not fear death before their last moments in life or when they are just about to die from something or someone
- Must smile after dying (crying and smiling at the same time is acceptable)
- Must have a purpose in their life (i.e become the Pirate King; or take down the World Government or become a influential player in the One Piece World and etc.)

HOWEVER.......Blackbeard aka Marshall D. Teach was the first person to ever......ever.......show fear before death (even though he survived the wrath of Whitebeard), which causes us to wonder if he really is a member of the D. or a fake.
Old 2014-10-09, 13:22   Link #40
ArabianLuffy
One King One Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post

All I can say is: Cute.