AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-08, 08:34   Link #1
Lawfer

Looking for animes like Space Runaway Ideon and Super Dimension Century Orguss.

Ideon: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=1807

Orguss: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=1039

Old 2010-01-08, 16:46   Link #2
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Mobile Suit Gundam.

Of any flavor, but specifically Zeta Gundam and Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory.
Old 2010-01-08, 21:19   Link #3
james0246

Which part of these series did you like? I mean, besides being old and or classic mecha titles, they are fairly different from each other...
Old 2010-01-09, 01:15   Link #4
Lawfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Which part of these series did you like? I mean, besides being old and or classic mecha titles, they are fairly different from each other...
How so? Both animes have a chaotic ending, both animes deal with a group of runaways trying to survive against insurmontable odds, both animes revolve around a specific mecha which helps the runaways to survive through the 39 episodes etc.
Old 2010-01-09, 01:54   Link #5
james0246

^Once again, what are you interested in? Classic mecha series? See Votoms - one man against the galaxy, and a few "gods" to boot; Dunbine - man is transported to a different world and has to save everyone by piloting a mecha; Zeta- Gundam...enough said; Dougram - one group against overwhelming odds...great/realistic ending (bear in mind, I don't think this series can be found outside of Japan); Macross - I shouldn't have to describe this classic; Patlabor - finally a realistic use for mecha...police patrol ; etc (all great series, btw).

Last edited by james0246; 2010-01-09 at 02:17.
Old 2010-01-09, 02:22   Link #6
Lawfer

Quote:
^Once again, what are you intrested in? Classic mecha series?
Yeah more or less 80's-like Mecha stuff, the 90's and 2000's mecha stuff are pretty bad in my opinion.

Quote:
See Votoms - one man against the galaxy, and a few "gods" to boot; Dunbine - man is transported to a different world and has to save everyone by piloting a mecha; Zeta- Gunda...enough said;
I already tried watching Votoms about a year ago or so, tried to watch an episode or two. Isn't Votoms more of a militaristic mecha universe (in the vein of Red Eyes for example) rather than a Sci-Fi Mecha anime?

Dunbine I know by name, but never got around watching it for good, never watched Gundam, but I will check them out, thanks.

Quote:
Dougram, Macross, Patlabor, etc (all great series, btw).
As a matter of fact I just started downloading Dougram just before seeing your message. Macross, I already watched all of the watchable ones (which of course excludes Macross Frontier and more particulary Macross 7) and I must say that I am not a big fan of SDF Macross, it was "O.K." but nothing ground-breaking, didn't like SDF Southern Cross too much either...
Old 2010-01-09, 02:54   Link #7
james0246

^Yes, Votoms is far more "realistic" than most mecha series (its realism comes not just from its mecha, but rather the use of said mecha). Dougram and Patlabor follow a similar "realistic" approach (especially Dougram which is focused far more on tactics and strategy than specific prowess of the various mobile suits).

Dunbine is a very interesting series from Ideon and Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino. It is a very interesting high fantasy mecha title (one of the first...I think) filled with dragons, castles and knights, as well as giant powerful mecha that are shaped (partially) like insects.
Old 2010-01-09, 06:01   Link #8
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Heck, besides the ones mentioned I can't think of anyone else worth watching.
I suggest going over at anidb or any other anime database and filter by the category of mecha and then by chronological order.
Old 2010-01-18, 14:33   Link #9
Navel

I haven't logged in to this forum for so much, but I might have an idea of what you might like so here it is: Uchuu Senkan Yamato (aka Star Blazers). You could also try some other Matsumoto Leiji works. I wasn't a great fan of Ideon though, so who knows...
Old 2010-01-19, 08:40   Link #10
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well from the top of my head that fits with your request would be Bokurano. If you're familiar with Tomino's work then you'll find some similarities. It's technically mecha too, and has some thematic similarities to Ideon. Of course it depends on whether you can accept a bunch of bewildered children piloting it, but otherwise it's still a poignant watch.
Old 2010-01-19, 23:52   Link #11
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Go watch FLAG, if you can find it.

Best Real Robot representation I've ever seen.

Also, play Front Mission. ALL OF THEM.
Old 2010-02-12, 00:54   Link #12
Lawfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Go watch FLAG, if you can find it.
Yep thanks, I knew of this anime but wasn't sure if it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Also, play Front Mission. ALL OF THEM.
Front Mission 2 is still completly japanese untranslated same with Alternative and Border of Madness. The only Front Mission I managed to play was Front Mission 3 and Front Mission 4, absolutely loved Front Mission 3, couldn't get unto Front Mission 4 though...
Old 2010-08-03, 17:29   Link #13
Lawfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navel View Post
I haven't logged in to this forum for so much, but I might have an idea of what you might like so here it is: Uchuu Senkan Yamato (aka Star Blazers). You could also try some other Matsumoto Leiji works. I wasn't a great fan of Ideon though, so who knows...
So far I have checked Yamato (the remastered subbed version from Central Anime):

And it's great.

I also checked Gundam Zeta and Aura Battler Dunbine and they are both pretty bad, Gundam Zeta reminds me of Star Trek and Aura Battler Dunbine is even worse than Escaflown.

Aside from Ideon, Yamato and Super Dimension Century Orguss, I also enjoy similar shows such as:

Tekkaman Blade

SPT Layzner

Gunbuster

Any more suggestions would be welcome.
Old 2011-01-05, 21:12   Link #14
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
You checked on Gundam zeta and you... didn't liked it?

If you want something Ideon, that's the closer you will get, it's another work from Yoshiyuki (kill em all) Tomino! You should really give it another try. The story is reasonably better written and the end of the anime is equaly amazing.

- Watch Tomino's works In chronological order if you like, that works pretty fine with his works.
1975 Yuusha Raideen - The first half was done by Tomino, it's really a regular 70's mecha series, very episodic. Tomino jumped out of the series because he was tired of the genre as a selling toys tool and wanted something else.
1977 Muteki Choujin Zanbot 3 - This is where Tomino began his dark trademark.
1978 Muteki Koujin Daitarn 3 - Tomino returned to a more relaxed feeling of Raideen after the dark Zanbot
1979 Gundam - This one was THE landmark on the entire mecha genre. Almost everything that came after in the whole mecha genre, was influenced by this title.
1980 Ideon, which you already watched. The story drags a little bit but the ending is one most epic endings I've ever seen in an anime.
1982 Combat Mecha Xabungle - Return to comedic and relaxed mecha anime
1983 Aura Battler Dunbine - Haven't checked this one myself.
1984 Heavy Metal L-Gaim - Return to comedy mecha, littlke silly sometimes, but still delivers the mecha goodness. I'm currently on episode 36.
1985 Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - Sequel to the original and successful Gundam and one of the most dark mecha anime series there ever will be.
1986 Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ - sequel to zeta Gundam. Tomino reverted again to a easy going anime but it gets serious after a while.
1988 Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack movie - The end of the saga that started on the first Gundam
1991 Mobile Suit Gundam F91 - This movie was intended to be a longer series, so the continuity is not the best, but it does provide some Tomino "special" classic moments, especially in the beginning. The script then becomes full of fails, but some scenes will glue to you mind.

- Other Gundam not by Tomino that I really recommend is Gundam 00 War in the Pocket. Follows the continuity of the Universal Century (the same universe covered on previous Gundam series, except for F91, but in another part of the universe). It's quite realistic with realistic characters. Features, Mikimoto Haruhiko, the same character designer of Macross, Orguss, etc... And an awesome animation, after all it was an OVA from late eighties.

- Another big name on the Old school mecha genre is Ryosuke Takahashi.
Some of his series were already mentioned.
Takahashi focus more on realism on his mecha series.
1981 Fang of the sun Dougram - Probably the most realistic mecha series of all, it includes smart politics, strategy and is very rich in it's dialogues.It has been finally subbed by a one man fansub and is available on the net. In fact, it's the anime of the month at the Old School Anime Club at MAL.
1983 Armored Trooper Votoms - Know among mecha fans for it's realistic mecha fights and good epic story.
1984 Panzer World Galient - Mix of King Arthur like setting and Mecha.
1985 Blue Comet SPT Layzner - I'm currently following fansubs of this one. Another good title.
1988 Armor Hunter Mellowlink - Set in the Votoms universe with another hero and side characters, a soldier tries to avenge his dead comrades after some high ups betrayal. This time the fights are between a mand versus mecha.

- If you're into 70s anime, Go Nagai was a revolutionary author in that decade. Among some of his revolutionary works he also did mecha.
1972 Mazinger Z - Probably one of the most known mecha titles of the old school days of anime. completely episodic, fights against the monster of the week.
1974 Getter Robo - Pretty much in the same vein as Mazinger Z, except this time it's three guys joining joining their vessels to transform into the mecha.
1974 Great Mazinger
1975 UFO Robo Grendizer
Nagai titles and the mecha series that came after in the seventies displayed a good amount of drama, (episodic) epicness and were fulkl of that lost manly honour lost in anime that came after the decade.

- Another important name in the seventies "manly/dramatic/epic" mecha genre is Yatsude Saburou.
Among his works;
1976 Combattler V
1977 Voltes V
1978 Daimos
1979 Future Robo Daltanias
1980 Space Emperor God Sigma
1981 Golion
1983 Light-Speed Electro-God Albegas

- Take note that Golion, Albegas and another work called Dairugger XV, were later compiled to make the famous US cut, Voltron.
1984 Lazerion.

- 1981 Goshogun is known in the US as Macron 1.

- Space Warrior Baldios from 1980 is another good title

- I haven't personally, watched Round Vernian Vifam, but I hear good things about it.

- It's strange that you didn't enjoyed Macross, have you tried the movie "Do you remember Love"? It's actually one of the main reasons that I became mecha fan many moons ago. The story is slightly changed and the result is one of the best movies of the eighties, in fact when it came out it was huge fever, that makes it even up to date in animation these days.

For general Sci Fi anime recommendations;

- Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Your views of anime will change after this as well of general fiction itself.

- Leiji Matsumoto works
Space Battleship Yamato series
Captain Harlock
Galaxy Express 999
Queen Millennia

- They were Eleven movie

- Bublegum Crisis OVA and it's sequel Crash - Cyber punk stuff

- Red Photon Zillion - nothing serious, just good animation and small episodic stories.

- Masamune Shirow works
1987 Black Magic
1988 Appleseed
1988 Dominion and it's sequel
and the Ghost in the Shell franchise

On modern stuff I'd recommend;
- Banner of the star series - It's good.
- Kaiba
- Dennou Coil

Have you ever watched Future Boy Conan or Nausicaa? These are pot-apocalyptic stories so they also fit under the sci-fi moniker.

I hope you (or someone else) can at least take something useful out of this tiresome post. I know of more, but I'm tired and my mind needs some rest now.
Hope it helps.

Cheers.