AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-06-17, 20:46   Link #1
Aiagas
"Excellent cornering!"

Retro Gaming!

I know, I'm a fucking dinosaur. But I like to play Video Games that is made during the course of the Fifth Generation. Well because that's when I got into Gaming. It's nice to play something Retro for a change. So talk about your childhood memories about your Video Games, and make to talk about some awesome Video Games, well at the time.

P.S.

Don't turn this into a Final Fantasy VII topic! I know it's a classic, but we need more variety. If your an RPG Fan then get the fuck out of here. Yes talking about The Angry Video Game Nerd counts as well. I'm not begin mean, we just don't want another shitty Final Fantasy VII topic.
Aiagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 21:32   Link #2
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
I so want to play symphony of the night, but I can't find a copy cheaper than 50 bucks...
Anyway, my favorite games of the fifth generaion besides the obvious ones are:

- Spyro the Dragon:
I remember being too young and too green to be able to beat the endboss, although the game is ridiculously easy when I look at it now.^^

- MediEvil:
Don't remember much about it to be honest, but it was fun and atmospheric.

- Tekken 3:
I played the crap out of this game, it was sooo good. Tag Tournament was even better, from there on the series went downhill, sadly. 4, 5 and 6 are basically just copies of 3.

- Pokémon Stadium:
Yes, Pokemon. I was a huge fan of it (who wasn't) and being able to upload you Pokemon from the Gameboy to your N64 and use them in 3D graphics was awesome.

- Super Mario 64:
One of the most influencial games of all time. The first, and for a long time only, to really show how 3D has to be. Never got all 120 stars though.
Old 2010-06-17, 21:50   Link #3
Star Psyren 95
Retired Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiagas View Post
I know, I'm a fucking dinosaur. But I like to play Video Games that is made during the course of the Fifth Generation. Well because that's when I got into Gaming. It's nice to play something Retro for a change. So talk about your childhood memories about your Video Games, and make to talk about some awesome Video Games, well at the time.

P.S.

Don't turn this into a Final Fantasy VII topic! I know it's a classic, but we need more variety. If your an RPG Fan then get the fuck out of here. Yes talking about The Angry Video Game Nerd counts as well. I'm not begin mean, we just don't want another shitty Final Fantasy VII topic.
What about RPG's other than FF like Lufia? I like obscure titles too.
Star Psyren 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 21:51   Link #4
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

wtf, PS1 and N64 are considered "retro" these days? Now I feel like a dinosaur. =\

Anyway, it's interesting that you made this thread, since I feel the gaming scene has been dipping into the nostalgia well recently with all these "old school" games making a comeback (for example, the 8-bit fashioned Mega Man 9 and 10 games, the LttP homage known as 3D Dot Game Heroes, the upcoming Sonic 4, Kirby, DKC, etc). It's a welcome change of pace to all the super-involved games we're getting these days as devs focus more and more on complex narratives and big-budget cutscenes. That's not a complaint, btw...I like the diversity.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 21:55   Link #5
Star Psyren 95
Retired Trainer

Real men play R-Type and Gradius. Those games put hair on your chest and procede to rip them off in frustration.
Old 2010-06-17, 23:49   Link #6
Kazu
Flowing

I remember playing games like crash bandicoot, bushido blade, tekken,rival schools,street fighter alpha 3,and pocket fighters on the PS1 also this demo disc that had this japanese cooking game, with japanese text.

I also remember Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie and this star wars racing game
Old 2010-06-18, 00:42   Link #7
jedinat

I remember playing Mario 3, M.C. Kids, and Solar Jetman on my NES as a kid... I had an NES right up until we opened an N64 for Christmas. Up to that point I'd never experienced 3D gaming, so I still remember that awe of exploring Mario 64's castle for the first time. Me and my brother wandered the courtyard and the unlocked area inside the castle for hours (and thought that was the game) before I accidentally backflipped into World 1-1's painting. We were shocked and I was as blown away as an 11 year old can be by the scope and depth of the game.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-19, 09:39   Link #8
seiftis
~defying fate

I mostly remember playing Final Fight on SNES, a fight on the street kind of game (not sure of the correct term). Didn't have my own console back then (I was 10), so I and my older sister used to sneak out of house when parents are out to work to go to this game shop and play there, paid $3 per half an hour, I think.

It was only 3 years later that we were able to save our own money to get a PSone and played FF8.
Old 2010-06-19, 11:26   Link #9
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
If you like retro PC games, www.gog.com is your new best friend. Get Beneath a Steel Sky for free and PLAY IT RIGHT NOW.

Also, motherfucking Star Wars: Dark Forces Saga. It is awesome. Discuss.
Old 2010-06-19, 12:11   Link #10
Star Psyren 95
Retired Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
D= Is tales of Phantasia considered 'retro'?

If so.. RAWR! Imma dinosaur! Arbitrosaur!

I love playing the old Final fantasies... Like 3 or 4 or the such. Nothing above FF6 to be truthful.

Isn't that about the knight that lost his eye and died because of an arrow? Can't quite remember.
Of course ToP is retro, it started on the SNES. As well as Star Ocean. But for the most underrated RPG out there, Ys!!!!!!!
Old 2010-06-20, 14:15   Link #11
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request

Hmmmmm. I'm surprised Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and Sonic and knuckles weren't mentioned.
I played those games so much. And I still have my Sega Genesis with those games. It probably won't work as much though......
Pocky Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-20, 17:24   Link #12
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I would mention my usual ones (Earthbound, Marios, DK) but since this thread is dedicated to retro games I'll pull out some of my more obscure favorites.

Wario's Woods and Yoshi's Cookie - Two very good puzzle games for the SNES.

Illusion of Gaia - An amazing RPG by Enix for the SNES. Cool storyline and characters (they had transformations of the main hero into different forms which I loved as a kid).

Marvel Super Heroes - War of the Gems - Fun side-scroller/brawler based on a 90's Marvel comic series, you can play as all the major Marvel heroes.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-20, 19:14   Link #13
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Love how every mentioned game is a console title.

PC gaming really is dead.
Old 2010-06-20, 19:44   Link #14
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Also, motherfucking Star Wars: Dark Forces Saga. It is awesome. Discuss.
A decade ago, my family visited one of my dad's nerdier friend in Calgary. My brother, the friends son, and I spent most of the visit playing Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II multiplayer on his three computer home network. This convinced my dad to buy some surplus IBM Pentium I machines from work for like $50 and run ethernet cable through our house. Which at one point involved using an 18 inch drill bit to drill a whole through some thick boards, but that's another story.

The games were hugely lopsided of course (seriously, we had 75 mhz machines and 300 mhz ones in the same game) but that network got some pretty heavy use, and I've continued to hold LAN parties since.

Unfortunately the game requires IPX networking for LAN, which 64 bit versions of Windows don't have. Kind of prevents me from running the game at current LANs.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-20, 20:31   Link #15
Zekori

Earliest games I remember growing up on were games like Ninja Gaiden, Mario Brothers, Ninja Turtles, Ghost Busters, Darkwing Duck, Battletoads, Athena, Bomberman, Contra, Xevious, Duckhunt. I still have all those old NES cartridges too, somewhere, and then some! But that's as vague as my NES memories go for. SNES/Genesis era was a pretty awesome ride. Stuff like Secret of Mana, Phantasy Star, Illusions of Gaea, Terranigma, and mostly Lufia. Gameboy and it's earlier incarnations until the Gameboy Color I really don't recall even then I just remember pokemon and some other stuff. Sega CD I remember Lunar and Magic Knight Rayearth, and two other games I can't seem to remember the name of.

PS1 Titles Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Metal Gear Solid, and Lunar off the top of my mind. Not much I remember for the Dreamcast save Shenmue 1 and 2 and maybe Blue Stinger. Actually this list can go pretty long but you catch my drift (atleast with pointing out PlayStation Titles). Anything after that I don't consider retro or "old" classics.

Best memories though are definitely Lufia and Lunar. Can't go wrong with either of those.
Zekori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-20, 22:53   Link #16
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Love how every mentioned game is a console title.

PC gaming really is dead.
Lol. Certain games like Diablo were better on PC. Plus, you can probably tweak the graphics or add more cheats that are better than consoles. Then again I'm not really a computer guy, hehe.
Pocky Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-20, 23:06   Link #17
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

PE2 blew PE1 away in terms of pretty much everything, except I really missed PE1's weapon customization.

A lot of people QQ'd because it genre shifted, but PE1 was never really much of an RPG, PE2 just acknowledged the fact.

Truthfully, both games are more like survival horror, except Aya is the horror.
Old 2010-06-20, 23:40   Link #18
Zekori

Quote:
PE2 blew PE1 away in terms of pretty much everything, except I really missed PE1's weapon customization.
Agreed. Although I did like Dan and Baker from the original more so than some PE2 characters, although Flint (the dog) is awesome for some reason. Some parts of PE1 had nice mood than PE2, mostly because of the NY Touch. I was amused even in the past of the late half of PE2, the Jurassic Park thing, I immediately though multiple times who though such a thing would be a good idea. Also screw the C-Building from PE1.
Zekori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 08:33   Link #19
Ending

So... Playstation 1 is retro now?

Quote:
I love playing the old Final fantasies... Like 3 or 4 or the such. Nothing above FF6 to be truthful.
The same. Most of them aren't that good, but if IIRC, FF4 had a nice profession system (ninja, red mage, white mage, etc) and everyone knows how good FF6 was. I would include FF7, though, because it's still a good game in it's own right. Everything afterwards is trash.

Quote:
D= Is tales of Phantasia considered 'retro'?
Sure is. Playing it right now. Needs a good emulator and a translation to work. Unless you speak japanese and have access to the original cartridge. Those must be becoming quite valuable nowdays. Ten more years and it's only us who even know it ever existed >.>

Anyone here remember Willow's Quest? Now that's a bit rarer game. I even have an old "Nintendo" magazine with reviews of it. In Finnish, sadly.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 12:37   Link #20
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

anyone remembers playing faxanadu?