AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-02-10, 15:49   Link #2681
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
But you see, even there they took the ace out early to get him some rest and almost lost the game.
Well, in that case Major/Ookiku/Cross Game is no different. The moment their aces/best players sneezes the whole team is screwed in those teams.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-10, 19:04   Link #2682
GrimJack

just watched episode 44 and I had to laugh at the end because it looks like Ko is washing his hands instead of going to the bathroom when Aoba comes in as it is in the manga
GrimJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-10, 20:20   Link #2683
poko-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well, I guess technically you can, and it certainly hurts when your ace can no longer do his thing, but still it's feasible I guess.
That's what I mean... 1-11 ;__;
Old 2010-02-11, 08:55   Link #2684
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Mitsuru Adachi Ends Cross Game Sports Manga Next Week

Final installment appears on February 17th.

Edit to save space:
Are the preliminaries in major amateur American baseball tournaments single elimination like the tournament shown here? Baseball is statistically the most competitive of major team sports (for instance, home teams win < 55% of their games, and the difference between the best and worst won-loss records is much narrower than in basketball or football). Single-elimination is thus a very poor method for deciding between teams in tournament play. They ought to have at least a best-of-three system. That would naturally create the need for a bit more depth in the pitching staff as well.

No less a light than Harvard statistician Frederick Mosteller evaluated whether even a seven-game playoff can be expected to determine reliably the better team. The answer seems to be that at least nine or even eleven games might be required.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-02-11 at 09:40.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 09:23   Link #2685
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
But you see, even there they took the ace out early to get him some rest and almost lost the game.

You can't have the same guy start every game in HS - just can't do it. Even in a sport (HS baseball) where coaches are legendary for ruining young pitcher's careers by overworking their arms, it's not possible.
Depends on how many games you play a week. Also, remember it used to be common practice even at the professional levels to pitch full games (with a 3 man rotation). Course that was back in the 30s, but it's not impossible. There are even records of pitchers throwing double headers. (That's 18 innings straight).

So not impossible. Just generally considered now to be foolish.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 09:33   Link #2686
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well, in that case Major/Ookiku/Cross Game is no different. The moment their aces/best players sneezes the whole team is screwed in those teams.
Well, I think Ookiku is slightly different, I think there is much less focus on "ace players" than the other two anime. Relatively speaking.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 09:49   Link #2687
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Depends on how many games you play a week. Also, remember it used to be common practice even at the professional levels to pitch full games (with a 3 man rotation). Course that was back in the 30s, but it's not impossible. There are even records of pitchers throwing double headers. (That's 18 innings straight).

So not impossible. Just generally considered now to be foolish.
I would argue so impractical by today's standards as to be effectively impossible. Is it impossible that a major-league pitcher could start and win all 162 games for his team? Theoretically it's possible, of course - but practically, no.

Now that we've seen official mention of the end date for the manga, all the more reason to plead for extreme caution by manga readers from posting here. I know the temptation is going to be irresistible, but I beg of you - resist. I'm going to be very nervous in scanning this topic starting next week.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 09:52   Link #2688
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

... I feel like I'm being evicted.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 09:56   Link #2689
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

There's going to be hell to pay in this thread for any and all attempts at manga spoilers. Not to mention negrep minefields. Just sayin'.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 11:42   Link #2690
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

single elimination is the way to go. sure luck comes into it, but its so much better than 7 game series. see NCAA basketball. so much more exciting than NBA playoffs. you can't just be like, "oh, we'll wait until our home games to win because we were seeded higher."

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 15:25   Link #2691
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

It's gonna be kinda hard to comment here, since every single comment we make will probably be scrutinized for a probable spoiler. Maybe it's easier not to post, really...

I dunno if I'll be able to do that, tho. The anime is just too darn good.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 20:46   Link #2692
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

We may be at an impasse here. Either the manga readers stay out or risk being accused of (or temptation to accidentally engage in) spoiling, or the anime-only fans stay out for fear of being spoiled. Can we peacefully co-exist?
Old 2010-02-11, 20:50   Link #2693
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Onto to other CG related news, I have come to the conclusion that Beto and Enzo collude to post in succession to each other so as to confuse me of their mirror image avatars, considering that they've posted in such an order successively for the last few weeks.

It confuses me. Sexually.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 21:05   Link #2694
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

We aim to please. Right?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 22:28   Link #2695
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Absolutely a coincidence.
Old 2010-02-11, 22:33   Link #2696
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

haha. almost completely mirror images. avatars and signatures.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 23:47   Link #2697
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I would argue so impractical by today's standards as to be effectively impossible. Is it impossible that a major-league pitcher could start and win all 162 games for his team? Theoretically it's possible, of course - but practically, no.

Now that we've seen official mention of the end date for the manga, all the more reason to plead for extreme caution by manga readers from posting here. I know the temptation is going to be irresistible, but I beg of you - resist. I'm going to be very nervous in scanning this topic starting next week.
Yeah, but in the major leagues you play a game everyday.

The same isn't true for highschool. Unless Japan is extremely different from US high school schedules, this should not be the case. (Except probably in a tournament such as Koshien- Kou might get to the Koshien, but without at least 2 more pitchers I don't see how they could possibly win it).

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 23:57   Link #2698
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

No, but they play 3-4 times per week, often on consecutive days. Can't expect anyone to keep up that pace.
Old 2010-02-12, 00:10   Link #2699
poko-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Kou might get to the Koshien, but without at least 2 more pitchers I don't see how they could possibly win it).

But we have Sendo! no?... it's Senda. (totally useless as a pitcher compared to Kou)

Just dress up Aoba, and pretend that she's Kou , no one will notice since they are alike.
Old 2010-02-13, 06:50   Link #2700
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

If I remember correctly, there was an episode where we met a couple of 2nd year pitchers (not including Aoba, obviously). Whether they are capable enough is the question. Having Aoba (and Kou) to learn from is at least some help, I would assume.

Senda would probably be lower on the depth chart as a pitcher than some of the 1st years at this point.

BTW, isn't center field where most pitchers (potential or otherwise) are placed if they aren't pitching (Aoba and Miki, for example)?
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports