AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-02-21, 23:37   Link #41
Squall69b
SKay - Tamah0me

Cowboy Bebop is the only dub I watch....I stick to SUBs otherwise.
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is the other cuz there is no SUB...lol!
Metropolis is another pretty good DUB...one of the voices in there I noticed belonged to the voice of Spike in Cowboy Bebop.
Maybe the Wolf's Rain DVD subs will be good...cuz it's being done by the same studio that did the Cowboy Bebop voices.
Squall69b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 00:27   Link #42
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Well...

I thought Cowboy and Big O were decent. Their voices did sound a bit synthetic, but in the case of Big O, I guess it was intentional to some extent.

I have to say, though, I thought the dubbing for Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke were fantastic. It was natural and well-worked. The main male characters sounded their age for once and I especially liked the use of British actresses and accents in Mononoke-- Gillian Anderson (X-files) as the mother wolf... (ahhhhhh.....).

But enough about Gillian, I thought Billy Bob Thornton did an excellent job as Jigo too. Overall, I liked the dubs for those two.
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 07:45   Link #43
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Your Under Arrest! Best dub I heard in my entire life. Thank you Coastal Carolina Studios.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 10:58   Link #44
Arwyn

I usually prefere the original with subtitles, but I watch the dubs as well, of the once I have seen, I think there a few worth mentioning;

Pricess Mononoke (with the quality of the cast, its pretty understandable)
Blood (the different voices "fit" the characters pretty well"
RahXephon ( I thought the voices were very well done, especially Haruka and Ayato)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (same for EVA, even though I hated Shinji's voice, it fit)
Full Metal Panic! (I like Chidori in the dub better than the original)
Golden Boy (The voices fit pretty well, particularly for the lead)
Cowboy Bebop (A good job all around)
Yukikaze (Same here, very well done, fit the characters, and sounds good)
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (wasnt a dub, but voices were good)
Arwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 14:42   Link #45
Xess
Go Suzuka!

I've never come across a good English dub before.

Mononoke Hime's dub was incredibly subpar, I can't believe it's praiseworthy. I mean, play Monster's Inc. for example, then play some evil dub like Vampire Hunter. The one originally scripted in English sounds like how normal human beings talk and the rescripted English dubbed one is just unnatural and artificial.

There are just too many situations where they have to insert additional lines to match the japanese script when an English speaker would normally say nothing in that situation. And the scenes with battles where they throw special powers and scream out battle cries. It's just unfortunate that the nature of English makes it extremely unusual to shout out battle moves because of the syllable stress, the low syllable count and also that the end of the sentence is usually marked by a short stressed syllable. They sound fine in all the other languages I know. Perhaps they need to develop a technique for cool sounding battle cries in English.
Xess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 19:31   Link #46
Kouji
StrykerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Aion|
Just watchin Vampire Hunter D,and ive always noticed that it has a good english dub,which is very rare in my mind.So what all do u think has the best dubs,alos list what u think are some of the worst dubs
Well, it's like the 2nd poster said. There's rarely any good dubs out in the market. Probably the best, well at least my opinion. Would have to be some of the actors that Bandai Entertainment chooses for their anime. And with that, here's a, relatively small list of great dubbers. *feels like this' an American Idol for anime dubbers *

Transformers Armada - Decent acting. But with the obstacle of Billy and Fred, that just threw me off course.

XenoSaga Episode I - As expected from ZRO Limit. This' one of the greatest videogame anime rpgs to have great voice actors.

Gundam SEED - I've only seen 2 episodes in it's english run. And like TF Armada. It has decent acting (not the greatest, yet not bad either).

Infinite Ryvius - This' my favorite english dub. Sure the characters may act quirky sometimes, but hey at least this anime has great acting.

Scryed - Same with Ryvius
Old 2004-04-29, 19:42   Link #47
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Best dubs?

IMHO.

Excel Saga
Inu Yasha [ Has bad moments, but overall good ]
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Tenchi series
Vampire Hunter D: Blood Lust
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade.

those are just off the top of my head. but IMHO those are all good dubs.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 21:40   Link #48
Kouji
StrykerX

Wolf's Rain, they brought actors from Outlaw Star (Robert Wicks), Pilot Candidate (Joshua Seth), CB's Wendee Lee. I mean, who could ask for more. ^_^
Old 2004-04-30, 01:49   Link #49
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
I liked Cowboy Bebops and Triguns dubs but man I am hearing their voices everywhere now that Ive seen those two series. Im not 100% sure but voice of Vash and voice of Faye in Witch Hunter Robin, Vash in Wolf's Rain, voice of Jet is a character in Last Exile. And voice of Spike is in like everything just to name a few. They need to find some new talent instead of recycling the same old people.

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 02:58   Link #50
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
I thought Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture had an awsome english dub.

Also anything from Manga Video, and Viz Video in the mid 90s had the bombest dubs ever. Everything now sucks.

Anything with Cam Clarke, and Tony Oliver = bomb dubs too.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 04:31   Link #51
Kouji
StrykerX

Yeah, Cam had a knack for showing really awesome voice talent. Which not only he voiced HeMan but he also did some spots in some videogame acting as well, Lang (Legaia 2: Duel Saga) etc...

And out of the characters in FF, I liked Terry's VA the most. Mark Hildreth. Dude, he was just perfect.

Last edited by Kouji; 2004-04-30 at 09:22.
Kouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 06:03   Link #52
Spooky-Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouji
Yeah, Cam had a knack for showing really awesome voice talent. Which not only he voiced HeMan but he also did some spots in some videogame acting as well, Lang (Legaia 2: Duel Saga) etc...
He also does Liquid Snake in the Metal Gear Solid games.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 09:23   Link #53
Kouji
StrykerX

Remember the Meguzi commercial in Cartoon Network, well he also says "Com on in, the water's fine"
Old 2004-04-30, 23:05   Link #54
Paranoia Rebirth
Haruka Fan

Send a message via MSN to Paranoia Rebirth
Talking Hmm...

hmm... I really thought the ai yori aoshi dubbed version was good...

***Tina is so mine *** Her voice sounded great in the dubbed version... It definitely beat out that japanese language. ^^
Paranoia Rebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 01:31   Link #55
BanditKing

I been finding dub make by IS&M and Bang Zoom! studio to be very good.

Full Metal Panic!
Pretear
RahXephon
Super GALS
Vandread
Mahoromatic
WILD ARMS: Twilight Venom

thought I find the ocean group and monster island lacking a bit.
BanditKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 11:22   Link #56
SoulDrinker
wandering soul

Send a message via MSN to SoulDrinker
best dubbed
evangelion
inu yasha
escaflowne(i think this was good its been a while)
sprited away

i try avoid dubbeds because there usally bad but there are excepetions
SoulDrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 00:20   Link #57
Holy Knight
Time Bomb

Full Metal Panic! has great dub with 5.1 audio. I'll probably purchase the whole set.
Holy Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 02:51   Link #58
Kouji
StrykerX

recap of my best dubs
Wolf's Rain - Unlike Gundam SEED, the actors in this anime tell the story how it's supposed to be told. It's top notch

Infinite Ryvius - same with Wolf's Rain

Pokemon Advanced
Old 2004-05-02, 03:21   Link #59
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouji
Wolf's Rain, they brought actors from Outlaw Star (Robert Wicks), Pilot Candidate (Joshua Seth), CB's Wendee Lee. I mean, who could ask for more. ^_^
Wendee Lee, i'll admit, is talented
she played literally half the female characters in GTO (Sakurai(?), Fuyutsuki, and Miyabi) and made them actually sound like different people
i am, however, critical of any studio that type casts excessively(Steel Angel was one big type-cast...and only a few of the voices actually worked...Kurumi's voice was changed from the cuteness of her japanese voice to OH MY GOD PLEASE KILL ME NOW of the english dub...she doesn't go OOOOHHHHHHHHH(english...i still have nightmares)...she says "KYUIIIIIIIN"(japanese) >_<)
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 00:33   Link #60
philupthetank86

Send a message via AIM to philupthetank86 Send a message via MSN to philupthetank86 Send a message via Yahoo to philupthetank86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffith
Excel's American voice actress gave me a headache within 5 minutes of watching it so I switched to the Japanese audio track and never looked back.
you got that right.

the japanese voice is good because the japanese langauge flows when its spoken and hyper speed
philupthetank86 is offline   Reply With Quote