AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-11-07, 16:34   Link #1
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

2channel series popularity

I like to check in from time to time and see which current anime are most interesting to the Japanese posters on 2channel. Here are fall series with current thread number, as of 7 November 2006. Each full thread equals about 1000 posts, with the most recent thread being partial:

Code Geass 75
Otome wa Boku ni Koi Shiteru 39
Kanon 38
Death Note 35
Negima 27
Yoakena ~Crescent Love~ 27
Galaxy Angel 23
Busou Renkin 22
Ayakashi Ayashi 12
Pumpkin Scissors 12
Katekyoushi Hitman Reborn 11
Super Robot Wars 11
Happiness 10
Jigoku 2 10
Sumomo mo Momo mo 09
Kujibiki Unbalance 08
Tokimeki Memorial 08
D-Gray Man 07
Red Garden 07
Asatte no Houkou 06
Lovely idol 06
Corda d'Oro 05
Ghost Hunt 05
Gift ~Eternal Rainbow~ 05
Gin Iro no Olynssis 05
Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo 05
009-1 04
Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto 04
Galaxy Railways Eiein 03
Soukou no Strain 03
Souten no Ken 03
Kekkaishi 03
Kenichi World’s Strongest Disciple 03
Hataraki Man 02
Shounen Onmyouji 02
Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge 02
Bartender 01

What strikes me? The popularity of Otoboku, Yoakena and Galaxy Angel; and the unpopularity of Iroha and Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge. I expect Soukou no Strain to zoom up the charts, since it just started. My own shows this season, time permitting, are Asatte no Houkou, Hataraki Man, Yamato Nadeshiko, Soukou no Strain, Otoboku, Iroha, Corda d'Oro, Negima, Kanon, Sumomo, Mamoru-kun, Yoakena, Code Geass and Red Garden.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-11-08 at 15:22.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 19:03   Link #2
NeoSam

Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo!

You forgot one of the titles that I like >.<
Old 2006-11-07, 19:08   Link #3
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo! You forgot one of the titles that I like >.<
Thanks for reminding me. I must have missed it. I like it, too: it, Sumomo, and Yamato Nadeshiko make me laugh out loud every week. I've added it to the list. Totally surprisingly, it has only five threads!
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-11-07, 19:28   Link #4
andromeda0201

I don't see D-Gray Man on the list too? I thought it was a popular shonen title?
andromeda0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 19:38   Link #5
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Otome wa Boku ni Koi Shiteru has close to 40000 posts about it? Unbelievable...
I somehow expected Red Garden to be even more unpopular. It's also interesting to note that four of the first five titles have their own subforums here on AS, I guess the tastes do correlate indeed.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 19:51   Link #6
Woland
Latin Rascal

What i Think is unbelievable are the 75k for Code Geass, and with only... 5 episode (it's some sort of record?). CLAMP borrowed name is so powerful? (I'd like to believe it's all for Taniguchi but, I'm skeptical about that ).
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 19:56   Link #7
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Woland] View Post
What i Think is unbelievable are the 75k for Code Geass, and with only... 5 episode (it's some sort of record?). CLAMP borrowed name is so powerful? (I'd like to believe it's all for Taniguchi but, I'm skeptical about that ).

Or Karen's nipple in Ep3

Any otome threads on Mizuho being a candiate for Saimoe 2007?

Quote:
I expect Soukou no Strain to zoom up the charts, since it just started.
I agree with this, look at how much the post count jump on AS when the first ep was release, it form 20+ post to 120+ post in 2 days.

Currently the I am only following 3 shows this season: Strain, code geass and Otoboku. I might try Red Gardern next but I heard the character into a musical in the middle of the ep.
Old 2006-11-07, 20:06   Link #8
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Hey, if Otoboku can have 39 threads, I wouldn't have been surprised if Code Geass actually had 200. The names Sunrise and CLAMP alone would have attracted much attention even if the series itself was complete crap.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 20:47   Link #9
eggplant
Eggplant

While the number of 2ch threads may be indicative of a certain anime's interest, it does not necessarily mean that it is popular from a constructive standpoint.

For instance, Code Geass, being a Sunrise produced mecha title, will garner the attention of the same MS Gundam Seed fanbase which has the largest population among anime enthusiasts. Interestingly enough, it would have been given the Saturday 6PM slot instead of Ayakashi Ayashi if it wasn't for the number of episodes (25), fanservice aside.

The posts for Yoakena are comprised of naysayers about the quality of the animation (artwork and story). The cabbage incident alone became the target of jokes of anime fans outside of the title, a la Musashi. While there is usually one thread per title intended for bashing, the main Yoakena thread is becoming the fixture for bad animation.

Titles that have a huge following from previously released means will always have incessant comparisons. This would apply to sequels and spin-offs as well. There is no way an original story with limited viewership like Irohanihoheto will warrant the same number of threads as the ones listed on top, in spite of the Sunrise name.

Two things to keep in mind about the anime 2ch threads though:

1. A current series thread does not always start at thread 1.
There is a separate 2ch board for unaired/unreleased anime (anime3), thus, if a certain title is announced well before launch, if that title is extremely popular in other media (manga, game, novel, etc.), or if it's a popular sequel or spin-off, it is likely for the said thread to start off with a number sequential to that from the 2ch anime3 thread when it is moved. The same thing can be said of the anime2 thread when it is moved after completing its run.

2. The rule of thumb in 2ch anime boards is to refrain from posting for the duration a certain title airs for the first time.
This is to ensure that the 2ch server will not become overwhelmed with posts and views that can make it inoperative, and to prevent threads from being spammed with myriads of one line comments. There is a separate board for jikkyou (live commentary) here.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 22:03   Link #10
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
What strikes me? The popularity of Otoboku, Yoakena and Galaxy Angel; and the unpopularity of Iroha and Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge. I expect Soukou no Strain to zoom up the charts, since it just started. My own shows this season, time permitting, are Asatte no Houkou, Hataraki Man, Yamato Nadeshiko, Soukou no Strain, Otoboku, Iroha, Corda d'Oro, Negima, Kanon, Sumomo, Mamoru-kun, Yoakena, Code Geass and Red Garden.
Yamato Nadeshiko is easy enough to explain: it's a shoujo series. They're traditionally quite unpopular on places like 2ch. Asatte no Houkou and Red Garden are expected, though I'd have expected them to be swapped. Pumpkin Scissors is surprisingly high. Code Geass is a bit of a shock, but I'm not watching it, so I have no idea what its appeal is. What surprises me a little is that Bartender is so low. If ARIA is any indication, I thought healing series had a bit of a following in Japan (yes, anyone who followed Saimoe knows that ARIA is popular.) Obviously popularity of one series isn't going to translate into popularity in another series purely because they share the same genre, since their respective appeals are completely different, but I'd have guessed it'd be the type of series with a small, yet loyal following. Maybe in time...

And, Yokaena is a joke and I'm not surprised (yet somewhat vindicated) by the fact that 2ch treats it as such.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 23:23   Link #11
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inujun View Post
I don't see D-Gray Man on the list too? I thought it was a popular shonen title?
Thanks for the reminder on that, too. It has only 7 threads.

Thanks to eggplant for the info. I have now taken a look at the Yoakena thread, and see that although there are positive posts, there are indeed a lot of negative ones, just as on AS. Personally, I don't mind the varying animation, find the humor generally unfunny, and really love Feena@Nabatame and the romantic part of the show so far. I'll have to look at anime2, which I have generally ignored in the past as my own interests changed to new shows, and my slow readinjg of Japanese limits what I can get through. And I have looked at real-time threads for a couple of shows, but generally just for screencaps or after I've been able to get a raw.

Good observations from Sorrow-K and others. I hadn't been thinking of Yamato Nadeshiko as shoujo, although I knew it was supposed to be. I think of it as Nabeshin all the way. More PuniPuni Poemi than Ouran.
Old 2006-11-07, 23:35   Link #12
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

As for the Code Geass popularity, its main reason can be distilled in two words: booby shot.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-08, 00:12   Link #13
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
As for the Code Geass popularity, its main reason can be distilled in two words: booby shot.
ZOMG THEN WHY AREN'T I WATCHING IT!!!!

I know you're kidding, but if a single oppai flash was enough to guarantee popularity on 2ch, then the place would be filled with threads on Kemonozume, which I can't imagine. From what I've heard Code Geass is fairly jingoistic, which just does not appeal to me in any way (jingoism being something I find almost repulsive beyond words at times), but that may somewhat explain why it's so talked about on 2ch.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-08, 00:18   Link #14
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
ZFrom what I've heard Code Geass is fairly jingoistic, which just does not appeal to me in any way (jingoism being something I find almost repulsive beyond words at times), but that may somewhat explain why it's so talked about on 2ch.
Just in case questions arise...

-------------------8<---------------------

jingoism

One entry found for jingoism.
Main Entry: jin·go·ism
Pronunciation: 'ji[ng]-(")gO-"i-z&m
Function: noun

: extreme chauvinism or nationalism marked especially by a belligerent foreign policy

-------------------8<---------------------
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-08, 00:38   Link #15
wao
OK.

Well I'm sure Code Geass also got the huge bunch of anti- and pro-TakeP running riot in there. And from my limited experience with 2ch threads, anything popular gets boosted to even higher post count because they attract a lot of trollers and random neets "romming" on the anime board.

I mean Code Geass... you can have like

-TakeP arguments
-Sunrise arguments
-boob arguments
-seiyuu arguments
-fujoshi arguments
-nationalism arguments (...)

I'm wondering though, out of anime fans/otaku in Japan, is it a really large percentage who by necessity go to 2ch to talk? Since 2ch seems to be this burgeoning monster in terms of discussion and anywhere else you go would be only for series-specific discussion limited to much smaller circles or something like that.

Or is there a surprising amount of hardcore anime fans who don't go to 2ch and stick to their blogs/doujin events and the like? I have no idea... I don't read nearly enough Japanese blogs...
Old 2006-11-08, 00:54   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually, I'm surprised there's some overlap with what I like.. usually I'm not even on their charts.
What I'm watching that's on their radar----
Kanon 38 (well at least we're agreeing about something)
Negima 27 (well ditto)
Yoakena ~Crescent Love~ 27 (on my iffy list)
Happiness 10 (haven't seen enough to decide)
Tokimeki Memorial 08
Asatte no Houkou 06
Hataraki Man 02 (amazing.... something tells me they're too young/inexperienced to get it)
Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge 02 (must be the pretty boys scaring them off)

What I don't see on their radar that I'm watching:
Bokura ga Ita (hmmmm)
Old 2006-11-08, 01:04   Link #17
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Maybe the fact that the Japanese are the oppressed and not the oppressor in CG generates disquiet and subsequently differing opinions regarding the matter. Good point. ZOMG I WAS KIDDING K. LOL.

Man, I'd imagine for Kemonozume ...

Thread 1: DID ANYBODY SEE THAT NAKED CHICK ZOMG?
Thread 2: OMG DID YOU SEE HER JUGS?
Thread 3: WTF ZOMG SHE WAS NAKED IN THAT EPISODE!
Thread 4: ROFL SEXXORZ ...

and the list goes on.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-08, 01:41   Link #18
tritoch

uhh Clamp storytelling + sunrise backup = big win.. easy

I just hope they won't rush this somehow and make it end up like X TV. I still have fits for how much the storyline could have been made better instead of the sluggish pacing early in the show and a rush ending.

To be honest, I'm not watching Code Geass for the mecha action. Its that quality Clamp storytelling (which I hope again, isn't butchered so bad =p)

And yeah, OtoBoku should rock. Stunning visuals + incredible seiyuu lineup + unique storyline = win win scenario easy. Although, I my me Strawberry Eggs already had this premise before, I think OtoBoku's jokes are waay more baked. =p
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-08, 02:00   Link #19
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritoch View Post
uhh Clamp storytelling + sunrise backup = big win.. easy

I just hope they won't rush this somehow and make it end up like X TV. I still have fits for how much the storyline could have been made better instead of the sluggish pacing early in the show and a rush ending.

To be honest, I'm not watching Code Geass for the mecha action. Its that quality Clamp storytelling (which I hope again, isn't butchered so bad =p)

And yeah, OtoBoku should rock. Stunning visuals + incredible seiyuu lineup + unique storyline = win win scenario easy. Although, I my me Strawberry Eggs already had this premise before, I think OtoBoku's jokes are waay more baked. =p

It is just clamp character designs. They have nothing to do with the storyline. If clamp was at all involve witht he storyline we would expcet more yuri/yaoi relations. Plus some older/younger couples, robbing the cradle type young. And a relationship between Lulu and CC that ends when CC reveals that she is Lulu's real mother.
Old 2006-11-08, 02:37   Link #20
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually, I'm surprised there's some overlap with what I like.. usually I'm not even on their charts.
What I'm watching that's on their radar----
Kanon 38 (well at least we're agreeing about something)
Negima 27 (well ditto)
Yoakena ~Crescent Love~ 27 (on my iffy list)
Happiness 10 (haven't seen enough to decide)
Tokimeki Memorial 08
Asatte no Houkou 06
Hataraki Man 02 (amazing.... something tells me they're too young/inexperienced to get it)
Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge 02 (must be the pretty boys scaring them off)

What I don't see on their radar that I'm watching:
Bokura ga Ita (hmmmm)
Are you actually looking at 2ch yourself when you talk about Bokura's popularity(or lack thereof)? Because Kaoru's initial post, is just a comparison of the new shows from the fall season and Bokura started well before that, so I wouldn't expect to see that mentioned. I'm sure it's got a thread or two at least.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote