AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-12-19, 03:25   Link #521
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Well, yes, there's been a ton of death flags throughout the series to date, but she doesn't necessarily need to die to achieve whatever effect they're going for. It's entirely possible she simply gets very ill and unable to play, and somehow Kousei gets a shot at replaying his ordeal with his mother, but with a potentially different ending.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 03:30   Link #522
Mubyoshi

Dang, Hiroko is as old as his mom? She looks so damn good.
Mubyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 03:31   Link #523
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubyoshi View Post
Dang, Hiroko is as old as his mom? She looks so damn good.
I have to agree with you, Hiroko is so young that she can pass it up as Kousei's big sister!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 07:19   Link #524
hai_san

What a beautiful ep, best ep in the serie so far for me. Kousei was practically "confessing" and Kaori answer... "I am not going to always be there for you." Ouch! not a good omen.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 10:30   Link #525
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Anyone who stops at night on a field and starts talking about the ephemeral but full of potential lives of insecst is just begging to be struck by the proverbial anime killing truck
Old 2014-12-19, 11:28   Link #526
RDNexus

So... I can only guess that nobody knows about Kaori's future, am I wrong?
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 11:32   Link #527
itisjustme

The show's kinda starting to lay it pretty thick on Kaori's death flag to the point that it'll be completely bland if it actually ends up happening.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 13:22   Link #528
tsunade666

is this 2 cour or 1 cour? they even added the gala concert but by looking at the manga. It won't make it until gala concert if its only 1 cour though it could probably fit in if they remove the filler like but character development part in between the concert and the current episode.

its still a good episode and overall it gave good feel.
Old 2014-12-19, 13:23   Link #529
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

It's a two cour show.
Old 2014-12-19, 13:40   Link #530
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
It's a two cour show.
thanks for the answer and good to know. Though .... well I'm not sure if I'm looking forward or not for the ending with all the death flags Kaori is having.
Old 2014-12-20, 02:44   Link #531
BPD Renegade

Jumped into the series late and binge-watched the first eight episodes over the last two days. The quality of animation and music utterly astounds me. There's something about the series that draws out a feel good, yet subtle painful feeling at the same time. It's like the lie is in the sorrowful undertones hidden within the beautiful imagery.

Not to gush about the animation, but I don't think I've watched a music anime where the movements matched the sound so consistently and well. From Kaori's bow techniques with her violin to the pianists at the keys.

This anime makes me feel so content after each episode. Lovely characters and personality. Beautiful, beautiful series. I'll be sad once I catch up to what's out. Definitely should have followed the original plan to wait until both cours came out to watch. Most likely the best anime that I have watched this year (granted, I haven't watched the heavy-hitters).
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 08:11   Link #532
cyth
Banned

If Kaori doesn't end up dying, I can't think of any other scenario than Kousei pulling a Hiluluk on her with his performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Getting sick changed her. Exactly how and why, we still do not know, but it's also clear that Kousei, for some reason, started associating her illness with him not playing to her standards. He probably wanted her to become well again, to return to the happy, healthy person she was before she became ill.

What has been presented to us is that Kousei hated those beatings - of course he would, they hurt, and he wanted to play with his friends. But the reason he remained on his mother's side isn't so much that he thought that 'such beatings are just part of "prental love"', but rather because his mother wasn't like that before she got sick, and he wanted her to return to the way she was before.
I'm getting kind of sick of listening to all the buts, because the story seems to be making more than enough of them already. When Kousei wished her mother death, in a fit of (justifiable) rage mind you, he isn't forgiven as any child should be, he is "cursed" instead. Actually, fuck forgiveness, we all saw what happened. We've speculated for a while that Kousei momma's disease changed her, but that shouldn't be an excuse to not condemn such behavior, or letting such abuse carry on, as her husband did.

What the show did instead of taking the kid's side, it said he was a bad boy that needed to further be punished for stepping out of line. Of course if it didn't do that, we'd be without the central conflict, but the way this is now being reinforced by the story converging to the point where Kousei forgives his mother is delivering a message that shouldn't be delivered at all.

Moreover, is it normal for him to be playing the piano 'till he quite literally passes out? He says he can't get out of his former skin, but is that really who he is or are those still the invisible reins his mother has on him?

For Kousei to be whole again or find his true self, he has to forgive his mother. Doesn't this sound a little fucked up to you guys?
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 08:31   Link #533
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
If Kaori doesn't end up dying, I can't think of any other scenario than Kousei pulling a Hiluluk on her with his performance.

I'm getting kind of sick of listening to all the buts, because the story seems to be making more than enough of them already. When Kousei wished her mother death, in a fit of (justifiable) rage mind you, he isn't forgiven as any child should be, he is "cursed" instead. Actually, fuck forgiveness, we all saw what happened. We've speculated for a while that Kousei momma's disease changed her, but that shouldn't be an excuse to not condemn such behavior, or letting such abuse carry on, as her husband did.

What the show did instead of taking the kid's side, it said he was a bad boy that needed to further be punished for stepping out of line. Of course if it didn't do that, we'd be without the central conflict, but the way this is now being reinforced by the story converging to the point where Kousei forgives his mother is delivering a message that shouldn't be delivered at all.

Moreover, is it normal for him to be playing the piano 'till he quite literally passes out? He says he can't get out of his former skin, but is that really who he is or are those still the invisible reins his mother has on him?

For Kousei to be whole again or find his true self, he has to forgive his mother. Doesn't this sound a little fucked up to you guys?
Actually, no: its not the show that is condemning him, its his own subconscious. He tells her to drop dead and a week later she does? Yeah, that'd mess with anyone's head. Despite the abuse, despite the pain she caused him, in his mind she's still his mother and all those years of abuse has messed him up big time.

And him forgiving his mother? Not sure if that is the true message of the story but would it be so bad? Would you rather have be as he is now or worse a bitter man because he hates his mother? If he forgives his mother, he can let go of all the crap that's associated with her and move on. No one says she deserves forgiveness but it would be beneficial to him, if all else.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 08:37   Link #534
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

I'm not trying to justify Kousei's feelings of guilt, nor Saki's behaviour. I didn't say anything about forgiving Saki, nor did I say anything about assigning blame to Kousei.

All I'm trying to do is understand why Kousei feels guilty about it, by trying to get into his head to see how he thinks. My point is that the way he's been thinking is understandable, even if we don't agree with it. (see also what Funkatron wrote.)

And whilst I'm not a psychologist, based on my own experience with people whose thinking I don't agree with, I'd contend that the way towards helping those people see things in a different way isn't by telling them "Look, you're wrong to look at the situation in this way."

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2014-12-21 at 06:15.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 08:54   Link #535
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I didn't say anything about forgiving Saki, nor did I say anything about assigning blame to Kousei.

All I'm trying to do is understand why Kousei feels guilty about it, by trying to get into his head to see how he thinks. My point is that the way he's been thinking is understandable, even if we don't agree with it. (see also what Funkatron wrote.)

And whilst I'm not a psychologist, based on my own experience with people whose thinking I don't agree with, I'd contend that the way towards helping those people see things in a different way isn't by telling them "Look, you're wrong to look at the situation in this way."
Thank you.

To me, Kousei's outburst at his mom was justified, both in his mind and in reality. The cruel thing was the fact that she died a week later. My theory she just gave up on life after realizing what she did to him but the messed up thing was that she just up and died without apologizing or anything. That's what is messing with Kousei's mind the most. He told her to die and she did. You could logically say that it was just a matter of bad timing but in a child's mind, he killed his mother with his words. He betrayed the one who loved him, despite the abuse he got from her.

His love of his mother is all twisted up now and its causing his subconscious to punish him by not letting him hear the notes. He blames her for the abuse but also blames himself for blaming her. The only way, imho, for him to truly break free is forgiveness: he has to forgive his mother, even if its unwarranted, and he has to forgive himself
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 09:09   Link #536
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I'd say it looks like he has to forgive himself. Even now, he doesn't really blame his mother.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 09:38   Link #537
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
His love of his mother is all twisted up now and its causing his subconscious to punish him by not letting him hear the notes. He blames her for the abuse but also blames himself for blaming her. The only way, imho, for him to truly break free is forgiveness: he has to forgive his mother, even if its unwarranted, and he has to forgive himself
Nope, that's where you and the show are wrong. Forgiveness isn't the only way forward, acceptance of what happened is another. Again, this isn't chained to any particular character or their action, it's just the show's general attitude, which ranges from outright dismissal of the distorted parallels of abuse to transfering responsibility for Kousei's situation to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'd say it looks like he has to forgive himself. Even now, he doesn't really blame his mother.
Yeah, but I wish it weren't framed as him doing a bad thing to his mother. Sometimes, it's OK to say "it's not your fault."
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 10:48   Link #538
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Quote:
Nope, that's where you and the show are wrong. Forgiveness isn't the only way forward, acceptance of what happened is another. Again, this isn't chained to any particular character or their action, it's just the show's general attitude, which ranges from outright dismissal of the distorted parallels of abuse to transfering responsibility for Kousei's situation to him.
I don't see it that way at all, in fact I think the narrative wants you to judge and hate on the mother to gather simpathy for the protagonist, the guilt of the situation it's not framed as his responsability, but rather he's portrayed as a victim that blames himself; while I'm sure we'll be seeing more of the mother's good years to contrast them with the monster that she became when she was terminally ill, the core of the problem it's not wether he forgives his mother (wich it's rather idiotic, I can't see how a rational human being could forgive her ), but wether he forgives himself and starts acepting that he could do nothing to cure his mother and that he didn't kill her (as much as some of us would love that )
Old 2014-12-20, 11:49   Link #539
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

I don't see what blaming a dead parent is going to help his situation especially when his dad also didn't step in to intervene and is pretty much absent currently.

Blame also needs to be spread to his father for which this anime won't do. So, Kousei needs to move on imo.
Old 2014-12-20, 18:43   Link #540
janipani

I just picked this up... looks like I'm going to cry oceans with this one. Darn... They still make series like these that can move my numb heart.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adolescent, bittersweet, contemplation on life, drama, music, romance, tragedy