AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2008-04-21, 15:56   Link #1
Rookie103

Nine Inch Nails

Nine Inch Nails (abbreviated as NIN) is an industrial rock act, founded in 1988 by Trent Reznor in Cleveland, Ohio, United States. As its main producer, singer, songwriter, and instrumentalist, Reznor is the only official member of Nine Inch Nails and remains solely responsible for its direction. NIN's music straddles a wide range of genres, while retaining a characteristic sound using electronic instruments and processing. After recording a new album, Reznor usually assembles a live band to perform with him; this live component is a separate entity from Nine Inch Nails in the recording studio. On stage, NIN often employs spectacular visual elements to accompany its performances, which frequently culminate with the band destroying their instruments.

Underground music audiences warmly received Nine Inch Nails in its early years. The band produced several highly influential records in the 1990s that achieved widespread popularity: many Nine Inch Nails songs became radio hits, two NIN recordings won Grammy Awards, and the band has sold over twenty million albums worldwide, with 10.5 million sales certified in the United States alone. In 2004, Rolling Stone placed Nine Inch Nails at 94 on their list of the 100 greatest rock artists of all time. In spite of this acclaim, the band has had several feuds with the corporate side of the recording industry. Trent Reznor announced in 2007 that Nine Inch Nails would proceed independently of record labels.

Nine Inch Nails' latest album, Ghosts I–IV, was first released online in a variety of digital and physical formats via the Nine Inch Nails website. It features 36 instrumental tracks split into 4 divisions, entitled Ghosts. It is the first NIN release not distributed by Interscope Records since 1989's Pretty Hate Machine.

Videos

The Hand That Feeds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJN2SPUcXTQ

Closer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWncI51ggH8

Survivalism: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUxk5IyGgjQ

Anyone else here a NIN fan?

Last edited by Rookie103; 2008-04-22 at 12:15.
Rookie103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 16:55   Link #2
james0246

I am a big NiN fan...I am not sure what I am supposed to say beyond that. He was quite amazing back in the day, not so much anymore...or at least his last two remix albums have been atrocious (though his last LP was pretty good). I am eager for his new album (I ordered on Vinyl recently), but not as much as I have been in the past.

That being said, I remember seeing Reznor in concert back in 96 or so. He was touring with David Bowie at the time...great tour, especially the times they played together, specifically Reznor on one of Bowie's Outside: Hyper-Story songs, or when Bowie sang Hurt or Reptile, simply great.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 23:31   Link #3
Z3120

I'm not too much of a NIN fan, but I llike two things about Trent: his digital music distribution project he's attempting and a few songs I'm forgetting the names to.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 02:01   Link #4
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Ghosts i-iv definitely was the best thing he did in, like, a long time. Maybe because his lyrics were becoming stale, always touching the same themes and issues? Anyway, Ghosts is pretty great, some awesome moments even, maybe a bit overlong. But definitely worth a listen.
Old 2008-04-22, 16:19   Link #5
Diodati
The very united ACROSS

Yeah I'm quite fond of NIN, I own all of their LPs and a few EPs too. I'm not at rabid-fan level though - in that I'm not blinded to the flaws found in their/his work. I agree with Mueti that Trent's lyrics have become v. repetitious, although I suppose this is common knowledge by now. I also began to dislike Trent's recent image - he looked like he was living off only beef jerky and steroids (especially during the With Teeth / Year Zero era). Thankfully he looks much better these past months.

Anyway musically it's been nice to see Trent move around with styles and composition over the years - the instrumental Ghosts LP was a nice change of pace (there have been glimpses that he was going to do something like this since The Fragile) and it's very different to the 'noise rhythm' Year Zero.

My fave full LP is (unsurprisingly) The Downward Spiral, which is just impeccable imo. The Broken EP isn't far behind it although I gotta say most of the full length LPs have some good songs on them, in varying amounts - depending on your taste. My fave song is probably ''The Day The World Went Away (Still)'' which is the version primarily played on the piano.
Diodati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 03:15   Link #6
te2rx

Send a message via ICQ to te2rx Send a message via AIM to te2rx
Don't forget "the new" Nine Inch Nails. It's somewhat refreshing to hear a soft, female voice on what's identifiably Trent Reznor's music.
te2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 07:49   Link #7
janfive

Though I disagree with Rolling Stone magazine that NIN is the 94th greatest rock artist of all time, I think NIN/Trent Reznor is an amazing artist. My favorite NIN songs are: Closer, Hurt, Head Like a Hole, March of the Pigs, The Perfect Drug, Down in It, We're in This Together, Happiness in Slavery, Wish, The Hand That Feeds, Only and Survivalism. Can't understand why everyone thinks Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" is a better record that the NIN original.
janfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 22:38   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The Quake soundtrack was the best thing Reznor ever did.

His other music would be pretty good, too... if he didn't sing. Or try to sing, because I'm pretty sure what he does isn't singing.

Edit: OH GOD I POSTED IN A ZOMBIE THREAD.