AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-24, 21:11   Link #621
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It is interesting seeing how Chisaki has these intentions, but things don't go according to plan. While both Manaka and Chisaki had the wish to protect Hikari one ran with the truth and the other tried to cover it up. Not that I think Chisaki had bad intentions, but her instinct was just off in this case. She'd rather protect Hikari from the fact that he made a mistake than protect them from the result of things getting even more toxic in that classroom. Which makes sense since she's the one who wants things to stay the same. It's fine if the class rejects them really long as she still has that connection to Hikari and the others.

Somewhat hilarious that the guy wanted to see Akari that much that he actually went ahead and nearly drowned himself. Guess he wasn't the one who made the call after all. Bit of an odd situation they just confirmed. So his wife was also from the sea and Akari was a friend of the family. Certainly no delicate way to put it. When her friend passed away Akari moved in. A bit weird the guy didn't know about the banishment thing, but maybe Miori just lied and said she decided to move to the surface. Would make sense having a family and all and living on land since obviously that guy can't live underwater.

I wouldn't kill for an emotional reaction from Tsumugu, but it'd be nice. He does take action though even if he doesn't do it with...zest. He was the one who first told those guys to apologize and did point out that covering up the truth wouldn't be right. A bit of an odd guy, but certainly a voice of reason. Kind of balances out with Hikari anyways since he has enough passion for two people .

An interesting plot point could be the "sea god" and Uroko's line about knowing that they can't let the sea people go to land just yet. What's that all about? Why can't the sea people just move to the land now? And why is it ok if they do so when the time is right?
Old 2013-10-24, 21:16   Link #622
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'll give Hikari some credit - He's a stand-up guy as they say. He doesn't like playing dirty. If he has problems with you, he'll tell it straight to your face, and he won't use slimy methods to get at you. If something manages to endear him to the land-people (especially his male peers amongst the land-people), it will be that.

As for Manaka, it was great to see her show some real backbone in this episode, in her trying her best to mix with the land-people, and with her backing up Hikari when he got into trouble.

Chisaki is interesting. While she seems to be harboring romantic feelings for Hikari, the way Chisaki talks about Manaka is... intriguing to me. To put it simply, it's almost like Chisaki has a crush on both of them. If so, that could be very interesting to watch play out!

While the xenophobia/racism (pick whichever term you think is best) in this show is a two-way street, I have to say that it seems worst on the land-people side.

Anyway, excellent Episode 4! This show is going just swimmingly well.
Old 2013-10-24, 21:20   Link #623
Tenzen12

I can uderstand why people liked this episode, it nicely "redeem" both Manaka and Hikari and make them likeable.

Unfortunetely I wasn't able go along with it. I knew Hikari is good guy who can learn from his mistakes, but I don't think he should loose his jerkass atitude and mature overnight.

And for Manaka, it's more difficult as I can't decide if she actualy trying step out of cage she created ownself or just change one form of dependance for other, I am afraid it's later, but until I will be sure I am going stop condemn her.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-24, 21:26   Link #624
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....

Swimmingly well.... -_-

I agree about Hikari - not the sort of fella you'd hire for espionage, perhaps.

That being said, I have been thinking more about Tsumugu, and wondering if his deadpan character may have been a result of having to have had to become an adult too quickly for some reason. We really don't know a lot about him, after all.

Also, was thinking that Hikari empathizing with Saya (is that the name of Akari's amour's daughter) may actually serve to help Akari and Saya's father to be together. I wonder whether or no the "mystrious phone call" to Akari was from Saya?
Old 2013-10-24, 21:38   Link #625
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Chisaki is interesting. While she seems to be harboring romantic feelings for Hikari, the way Chisaki talks about Manaka is... intriguing to me. To put it simply, it's almost like Chisaki has a crush on both of them. If so, that could be very interesting to watch play out!
I find her to be a bit interesting too since her feelings on whether to act on these emotions or just remain on standby really makes you wonder where this could go. I'm also finding that since Manaka and Hikari are changing and maturing in their own respective ways, it makes her feel a little insecure or left off in some sense. Like I said before I wonder if when she does do something for Hikari or Manaka or both etc. Makes you wonder if it'll cause more harm than good for herself, Hikari, and the group etc.

Still the possibility of a yuri crush, count me in!
Old 2013-10-24, 21:46   Link #626
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'll give Hikari some credit - He's a stand-up guy as they say. He doesn't like playing dirty. If he has problems with you, he'll tell it straight to your face, and he won't use slimy methods to get at you. If something manages to endear him to the land-people (especially his male peers amongst the land-people), it will be that.

As for Manaka, it was great to see her show some real backbone in this episode, in her trying her best to mix with the land-people, and with her backing up Hikari when he got into trouble.

While the xenophobia/racism (pick whichever term you think is best) in this show is a two-way street, I have to say that it seems worst on the land-people side.

Anyway, excellent Episode 4! This show is going just swimmingly well.
Wouldn't you say that tackling people who have their guard down is a cheap shot? A "dirty" tactic ? It's certainly not subtle or any kind of trickery, but I did find it funny for Hikari to talk about dirty tactics when in the past few episodes he's just out of nowhere attacked people.

Though do agree that his directness is what will likely endear him to the people in that class. And has the intelligence to learn from his mistakes and in the end start facing them.

I think if the xenophobia looks any worse from the land people's side it's just that there is more of them. Just more people who can be xenophobic. Manaka and Tsumugu are the exceptions on either side being the rare people really actively reaching out.
Old 2013-10-24, 22:04   Link #627
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Wouldn't you say that tackling people who have their guard down is a cheap shot? A "dirty" tactic ?

I think if the xenophobia looks any worse from the land people's side it's just that there is more of them. Just more people who can be xenophobic. Manaka and Tsumugu are the exceptions on either side being the rare people really actively reaching out.
Hikari's led by his passions so his first thought was to go take down the guys who messed up the statue. I wouldn't really call it dirty. It's not like he purposefully waited till they were distracted and then attacked, he just attacked in rage without thinking.

As for the xenophobia, I think the reason why the land people's side is more obvious is because they're more active with it. The sea people seem to stay almost exclusively to their sea village where they talk about and complain about the land people but they never really go up to the shore and then mess with the land people. There is the complaints about the sea and land people fighting over fishing rights, but even then it's painted out to be worse on the side of the land people, as they are constantly mentioned as encroaching on sea people territory. The land people talk about the sea people to their faces, and also resort to vandalism, and in this episode, physical confrontation. So, yeah, both sides show prejudice, but the land side is more apparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura_Tsuki View Post
I like the story so far. Hikari finally growing up.

About Tsumugu he is almost too perfect, it looks like this guy can't do anything wrong.

It is almost too boring to watch. Damn he is just a 13 year old and he behaves like someone who is 30 or something. It is kinda boring to watch Tsumugu. And this is not realistic at all, does that boy have any feelings, hate, jealousy etc....

Only manaka, hikari and Chisaki are behaving like a normal 13 year old.

I hope tsumugu gets some devolpment, because right now he is almost too perfect. That's not realitstic.

Edit: I kind of understand Tsumugu is like a mediator between the sea people and the land people and he likes the sea people a lot. But if he behaves like this I don't see a devolpment were he becomes interested in Manaka. Looking at him it looks like he wants to help the sea people getting along with the land people (plays like a mediator). But seeing him falling in love.........mmmmmm something has to happen to him, that needs to show his feelings etc?
This is what I meant by that I thought Tsumugu and Kaname were too mature. I just feel as if they know things and act like adults rather than kids and it just makes them boring. I thought last episode that Tsumugu would get better, but then he went back to his boring stoic self again. I think you can be passive, but you can also be a kid. I was a passive, mature child, but I was still a kid.

Also, I don't think whenever Hikari figures out the meaning of his feelings towards Manaka, that he really has as much to worry about as he thinks. I think he has a better relationship and chemistry with Manaka, the she has yet ever had with Tsumugu. The guy really seems to barely notice her beyond being one of the sea kids that he became friends with.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-24, 22:21   Link #628
Excorsism

I, for one, am liking Kaname. Stays level-headed in a cast that gets controlled by their emotions most of the time. He even made the loli cry, that'll show her!
Old 2013-10-24, 22:24   Link #629
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Who knows? Maybe he'll become a natural loli magnet. Or if he isn't one already.
Old 2013-10-24, 22:35   Link #630
Tenzen12

If they realy will go with time-skip, these two lolis might get completely new roles.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-24, 22:46   Link #631
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

pretty dang good episode. Chisaki remains the most interesting character in the show for me. i'm really interested in how they'll end up developing her. I really hope they don't rehash the Aiko route from True Tears.

the sudden revelation of Miuna's mom was pretty powerful as well.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 00:35   Link #632
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I'm not up to date (still haven't watched past episode 1, but plan to), but can someone tell me if this series has passed the Bechdel Test yet?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 01:48   Link #633
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

No not really, unless you want to count the two little kids and a small scene in episode 3 where Manaka and Chisaki reminisce. But that's a rather strange test to watch out for from a story that's primarily a romance, and from a female scriptwriter. Technically the main male characters only pass their test this episode.

Last edited by Haak; 2013-10-25 at 02:14.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 06:48   Link #634
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Heh. I knew before hand that it was 26 and I still typed 12 like it was typical anime length.
Kinda depressing that 12 is considered "normal" now, but I suppose that's true. This season is better than most have been lately for multi-cour series but it hasn't been that long since 26 was pretty much the standard.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 07:26   Link #635
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Sorry if this has been mentionned before, do we have any japanese speakers aound?The website has a few staff interviews up
, would be cool to have some recaps

There's 3 with director Shinohara and a couple with Okada
Old 2013-10-25, 09:30   Link #636
Kirarakim

I am all for 2 cour series but the reason why I thought this was only 1 cour is that is how it feels in the way the story is progressing.

That is why when originally someone said there was going to be a time skip I didn't see it, now I think it is a definite possibility. Either that or some major dramatic event that will change things.

If you think about it after this last episode things have been developing positively. But for a 2 cour series you can't have all your issues coming to a close. Granted not everything is solved but I also feel there are no major conflicts at this point. That is why I see some major set back happening where things will go wrong for the characters.

I think it is possible that Chisaki could be the cause of the set back. I don't know why but her feelings in this last episode about Manaka and Hikari gave me a bad omen.
Old 2013-10-25, 10:08   Link #637
ultimate_noob
Skwid Fan

Hikari and Miuna are so going to end up together. I just can't see him with Manaka and Chisaki. He can go get the other loli as well if he wants to.
ultimate_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 10:27   Link #638
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Now THIS is Okada I know and love. Now I understand why Hikari was intially shown to be such a dislikable figure at the beginning. For one, it allows more room for character growth, as we can all agree how childish he has behaved. And two, it does show that he is nobetter than the land people he so despises, from having prejudgement to those of the other clan to instantly assuming the other part was at fault. Thus going from an immature, almost despise-worthy brat, to someone who can let go of their pride to beg for forgiveness on their knees... the scene was so much more powerful BECAUSE of the disparity between the two.

Then comes the two lolis, of which he understands where Miuna is coming from as they both have lost their mothers. And Saya, of which is a no brainer because he cherishes his group of friends as much as Saya cherishes Miuna (or even Miuna cherishes Saya, by taking the blame of the destruction of that offering). Maybe he'll come to understand that there's no 'us or them', or 'land people vs sea people', but just that they are all human beings; one and the same.

I almost forgot Okada usually takes a bit of time to ramp up, and this was no exception. Brilliantly done, with this series locking in as my second favourite of the season. Heck, if this keeps up it might even pass my favourite so far, White Album 2. Because, yeah, unlike WA2, I swear someone was chopping a lot of onions for the entire episode. T_T

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 10:31   Link #639
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalena View Post
I'm sure it has been asked before, but I don't have time to read through the most recent pages so I'm just going to ask: what is dangling behind Manaka's ears? She's the only one (so far) with the feature.

And, yes, I have read what has been released of the manga so far, but I don't remember it ever being mentioned in there.
It's just some kind of hair accessory. It looks kind of cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I think it is possible that Chisaki could be the cause of the set back. I don't know why but her feelings in this last episode about Manaka and Hikari gave me a bad omen.
Same here. The end of the episode was very foreboding. I can't imagine a sweet girl like her doing anything bad, but I'm pretty sure something is going to happen soon because of her.

Last edited by Kanon; 2013-10-25 at 11:00.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 10:52   Link #640
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Same here. The end of the episode was very foreboding. I can't imagine a sweet girl like her doing anything bad, but I'm pretty sure something is going to happen soon because of her.

I can see her doing something and not realizing the full implications of her actions. It is obvious she is not a bad person and wants to the best for her friends. But sometimes we make the wrong choices without meaning to.

This would be the same as her trying to keep that those boys didn't destroy the statue (sorry forget the name) a secret to protect Hikari. In the end this would have been the wrong thing to do, but obviously she was just trying to help a friend. Sometimes we can make bad choices with good intentions.

Even if Chisaki acts out of jealousy and does something for the wrong reason I don't think this would make her a bad person. I see jealousy as a very human emotion and even good people have lapses of judgement.

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen