AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Old 2010-04-09, 18:38   Link #801
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scython View Post
The OP song is excellent as expected, and I just love lia's singing is just as great here as it was in clannad .

Edit: Also the ED theme is a very soothing piece. I like it too; though not much animation for it.
MAL

Last edited by Kotohono; 2010-04-09 at 19:24.
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 19:25   Link #802
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scython View Post
The song is interesting but I'm not sold on it immediately like I was on Tori no Uta for example (Air's intro). I have the feeling it'll grow on me however and I'll reserve my final judgment for the full version.

Now to wait until I can watch the second episode subbed.

PS: I'm surprised a Key show doesn't have it's own forum while it's already on the second episode. Losing steam are we Key? :P
Old 2010-04-09, 19:39   Link #803
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
PS: I'm surprised a Key show doesn't have it's own forum while it's already on the second episode. Losing steam are we Key? :P
Well, since the others had a (high selling) visual novel as a source there was just more to talk about. Right now, all we have is speculation, and the actual episodes as well as the other material that's lying around.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 20:17   Link #804
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Jesus fuck they must be burning obscene amount of funding on the animation. How long can they keep this up?
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 21:19   Link #805
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I was late to the party, but finally got the chance to watch the first episode, finally...

Spoiler for Episode 1:

Rating: 8.3/10
Old 2010-04-09, 22:17   Link #806
Sciel
Etoilé

The OP was really good , especially loved the bits with Tenshi playing the piano (have to get around to making an avatar/sig based on that soon !) .
As for the episode itself , much better than EP1 . I do agree that Yuri's past is rather over the top . The guild thing was also . Other than that i pretty much liked most of it (some of the deaths were pretty lol tbf) .
Lastly , i'm still not quite sold on the anime's character designs. Maybe its just the whole "key show's always being done by kyo-ani up till now" and not being used to it but w/e .While Tenshi herself looks pretty good , Yuri , Otonoshi and some of the main cast look rather odd to me .
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 23:54   Link #807
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

dang, Yuri's past is pretty heavy. they didn't go completely emotional, which is good for this type of show. songs are fantastic. ED is very solid. looks like there's a lot of characters who haven't been introduced yet, from the spread at the end of the ED. OP animation is great, song is so so.

i wonder if they'll actually show any "battle damage"

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 00:16   Link #808
orangejuicetang

Well, that was interesting. Yuri's flashback does provide a lot of insight into her character and her motivations. The reason they follow Yuri as their leader is because she was the first to rebel. But the reason she choose to lead them is probably different. Going by her flashback, that event obviously, for lack of a better phrase off the top of my head, made a really big impression on her. As the eldest child, it was her responsibility to lead her other siblings. Their deaths was the seed for her rage and discontent against 'God'. By failing to save them, even though it wasn't her fault, she possibly feels that she 'failed' in her responsibility and her 'leadership'. The SSS may provides a 2nd chance for her to redeem herself in her own eyes in a sense.

Something else I want to mention is a post made a few pages ago about why Tenshi just doesn't wipe them all out. Well, since this series is still ongoing, so I can't say for sure, but her actions sort of remind me of the 'counterforce' from the nasuverse. Basically an overwhelming force that can only act in response to the events. Or in short, it's a reactive force, not a proactive force.

Also, something interesting in the op
Spoiler for op:

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 00:47   Link #809
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Well, that was interesting. Yuri's flashback does provide a lot of insight into her character and her motivations. The reason they follow Yuri as their leader is because she was the first to rebel. But the reason she choose to lead them is probably different. Going by her flashback, that event obviously, for lack of a better phrase off the top of my head, made a really big impression on her. As the eldest child, it was her responsibility to lead her other siblings. Their deaths was the seed for her rage and discontent against 'God'. By failing to save them, even though it wasn't her fault, she possibly feels that she 'failed' in her responsibility and her 'leadership'. The SSS may provides a 2nd chance for her to redeem herself in her own eyes in a sense.
That is most likely the case but I also believe that she just wants to simply ask "why?" Why does something so unreasonable have to happen to her younger siblings? Why, when they did nothing wrong. She can't change the fact that they're already dead so she just wants to fight with "God." Redemption is a good way of putting it.

I'm glad that we got some good character development for Yuri this episode because I feel like her reasons for rebelling are justified in a way, I can sympathize with her. Since she said that her death wasn't caused by suicide, I'm now curious to know how she actually died. I'm sure this will be a focal point later on but I must say that this was a pretty entertaining episode although, the comedy/gags feel kind of out of place.

There's a possibility that pacing is the reason for this but I hope that the 3rd episode does a better job at balancing between comedy and drama.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 01:30   Link #810
dark998

Spoiler for Episode 2:

And about the OP/ED, both are great. OP has Tenshi playing the piano like an angel and ED has that awesome group shot.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 01:34   Link #811
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
That is most likely the case but I also believe that she just wants to simply ask "why?" Why does something so unreasonable have to happen to her younger siblings? Why, when they did nothing wrong. She can't change the fact that they're already dead so she just wants to fight with "God." Redemption is a good way of putting it.

I'm glad that we got some good character development for Yuri this episode because I feel like her reasons for rebelling are justified in a way, I can sympathize with her. Since she said that her death wasn't caused by suicide, I'm now curious to know how she actually died. I'm sure this will be a focal point later on but I must say that this was a pretty entertaining episode although, the comedy/gags feel kind of out of place.

There's a possibility that pacing is the reason for this but I hope that the 3rd episode does a better job at balancing between comedy and drama.
I agree that this episode gave her some good development. Having gone through that I can understand why she is doing this. The motivations have to be mixed here. Part is probably seeking redemption for her failure, partly anger at 'God' for allowing that to happen, and really she probably just wants to fight back against something. Back then she couldn't do anything and being dead she can never do anything about those criminals. At least there in that situation she can take action and fight back. Life can be unfair and cruel, but that doesn't mean you aren't left simply asking why.

In terms of Yuri's death I'm still uncertain. She responded pretty strongly against the implication, but that doesn't mean she didn't kill herself. Plus it's a weird statement to say no one there killed themselves. If true that's a strange thing that makes you wonder. Still her death will probably be answered eventually.

The second episode was weird. You have that horrible past and comical deaths. I mean really it was hilarious to see Noda get owned by that trap. He's been a jerk so far so seeing him die numerous times isn't bad. Like the answers about where their supplies come from and it makes sense why the traps are like that. I mean the Resident Evil laser trap and the classic giant ball rolling down a cavern trick . It's weird, but I think the mixture of comedy and seriousness works.
Old 2010-04-10, 01:34   Link #812
klare

eps 2 surprised me, it is much better than i expect

Yuri is no Haruhi, accept it!

this is not good, i think i fell in love with the piano-playing angel...
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 01:37   Link #813
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
What's with this "those who suicide don't come here" thing? Not really a Buddhist thing as far as I know. Nor a Shinto one. Maeda's off to create another religion once again~
Christian. Suicide = instant hell. Also, I believe several other religions look at suicide quite negatively.

And I don't really think Yuri died of suicide, despite her getting suspiciously worked up about it. She claims that suicide doesn't take you to their place, since apparently she hasn't met anyone who "died" of suicide. However, if we take the coma route, she could have had a failed suicide attempt -- though if she really did try suicide she wouldn't have had the spirit to rebel in this "afterlife".
Old 2010-04-10, 01:59   Link #814
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

2nd Episode was like watching Takeshi's Castle while having some of TK's weed...

OP is epic, ED is nice.

And now for a riddle:
Spoiler for spot the yuri:

Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 02:09   Link #815
Eater of All
NOM

Breathtaking OP is breathtaking. The ED I guess is pretty fitting; at least it didn't turn out to be all happy and upbeat, or else I would've been inclined to break something.

Ep02 was much slower compared to ep01, though it was entertaining nonetheless with some improved comedy (albeit it still wasn't very funny). Some of the parts like the cannon and the fight were drawn/animated very nicely, and overall it wasn't bad. By the way, I just love how strangely natural it was to hear Kamiyan delivering tsukomis one after another; damn you Nozomu and Arararagi.

Spoiler for ep02:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Though that just begs the question of what exactly Yuri can achieve even if, in the end, she actually does beat God to a pulp and make Him lick her boots in repentance. In fact, I'm personally starting to see Yuri as a tragic character now, not necessary because of her spectacularly messed up past, but because of how she'd semi-literally brought her regrets down to her grave and still wishes to fight such a fate, rather than accept it. Reminds me of those lost souls that terrorize random innocent people (in this case, Tenshi?) in an attempt to assuage their suffering, TBH.

Then again to sort out problems is the very reason why this place exists it seems.
Old 2010-04-10, 02:23   Link #816
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
And now for a riddle:
Spoiler for spot the yuri:

Here:
Spoiler for Yuri:

Oh, and hello, Fate and Hanyuu (Sekine and Irie from GDM -- these girls haven't been properly introduced yet eh?). Also, I find it strange that Yui is nowhere in sight this time, even the OP and ED. She's supposed to be one of the main characters, right?
Old 2010-04-10, 02:33   Link #817
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Breathtaking OP is breathtaking. The ED I guess is pretty fitting; at least it didn't turn out to be all happy and upbeat, or else I would've been inclined to break something.

Ep02 was much slower compared to ep01, though it was entertaining nonetheless with some improved comedy (albeit it still wasn't very funny). Some of the parts like the cannon and the fight were drawn/animated very nicely, and overall it wasn't bad. By the way, I just love how strangely natural it was to hear Kamiyan delivering tsukomis one after another; damn you Nozomu and Arararagi.

Spoiler for ep02:

Though that just begs the question of what exactly Yuri can achieve even if, in the end, she actually does beat God to a pulp and make Him lick her boots in repentance. In fact, I'm personally starting to see Yuri as a tragic character now, not necessary because of her spectacularly messed up past, but because of how she'd semi-literally brought her regrets down to her grave and still wishes to fight such a fate, rather than accept it. Reminds me of those lost souls that terrorize random innocent people (in this case, Tenshi?) in an attempt to assuage their suffering, TBH.

Then again to sort out problems is the very reason why this place exists it seems.
Spoiler:
octoberasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 03:09   Link #818
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Since the light novel gives us valuable background information about the characters, can we get it translated? Someone must be up for the job. After all, this is a Key work.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 03:29   Link #819
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberasian View Post
Spoiler:
I'm not sure that Yuri is really wondering where her siblings are. If we work on the assumption you don't age after death than she died years after that horrible event. Thus it would make sense that they moved along before she ever got there. Plus if you go to a place that is around your dying age then they would be at a giant middle school or something.
Old 2010-04-10, 03:47   Link #820
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Jesus fuck they must be burning obscene amount of funding on the animation. How long can they keep this up?
It actually wasn't that immense. They took plenty of shortcuts, they just did it wisely.

Also, this is only 1 cour...which is kinda sad because this is getting to be pretty damn good.

I'm getting curious to know just how "old" Yurippe really is under the -doesn't age- assumption. The house in her memories is a bit old fashioned...but they had a decent TV, but no computer. that's what? 40 years max? This is all of course assuming they don't pull some TYPE-MOON bullshit where LOL AFTERLIFE IGNORES TIME PARADOX and for all we know She's been at this for millions of years.

Last edited by Edgewalker; 2010-04-10 at 03:58.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key