AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-01-31, 19:39   Link #401
KnightShade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talukita View Post

Sure, his death will serve as a trigger push the party to develop, but what about himself? Nothing, like usual. Imo I think Manato can actually be interesting once the author breaks out his "perfect" shell, but nope. Really, Manato at least deserves a little more than this, oh well...
i feel you. good thing i didn't get attached to the throwaway lines about him saying he's not a good person. manato bored me so much that i knew he was going nowhere as being a walking deathflag was all he amounted to in the end.

Last edited by KnightShade; 2016-01-31 at 19:51.
KnightShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-31, 19:49   Link #402
Tchadnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talukita View Post
Literally everyone thinks they can not feel anything for Manato death, and I think it's a valid view due to his lack of characterization along with the fact that he barely knows much about him. But THIS, this speaks to me

I mean it's obvious that Manato is going to die, and I don't have a problem with it. However the way the author pulls it makes him feel like a throwaway trash after serving his purpose, and it annoys me even more so with the interest part.

Sure, his death will serve as a trigger push the party to develop, but what about himself? Nothing, like usual. Imo I think Manato can actually be interesting once the author breaks out his "perfect" shell, but nope. Really, Manato at least deserves a little more than this, oh well...
you know Manato was to die the minute he started to talk about the whole "i dont think i should be this loved or this happy" type of talk a few episode back i think it was the 2 , when he was talking to Haruhiro , but i definately agree with you , that his death felt kinda dull , but Haruhiro break down was on point! Shihoru reacted just how i expect her to .. she just fall on her a** with her clumsy self , with Yume holding her (as usual it been cliché since the anime start) and with Ranta (finally) getting quiet .. it was "touching" but nothing extraordinary
Old 2016-01-31, 20:41   Link #403
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Everything after Manato's death was perfect, Haruhiro especially. His words were very powerful. "We have to pay for that too right?" this hit especially hard because this entire time they've been fighting for loot, for money in a scenario where currency is the most important thing in that world. They would use it for food, clothing, water, things that would help them survive, and now they're being forced to use what they worked hard for to cremate their friend, and not even for the reason you'd think. It was to stop him from becoming an empty shell that walks around instead of a proper burial. In a world where money is everything, it means that they can't even have a proper funeral without there being some sort of price to pay, the thought must be mentally draining on all of them.

It was no doubt the best scene in this episode. However, the problem with this being the best part is that it overshadows Manato's death so much that it makes the impact little to nothing, and it's not surprising, we barely knew much about him nor did we care much for him. When a character dies you're suppose to feel sorrow and pain, tears creep into your eyes and you get goosebumps from the music and animation. I didn't really feel this, I did however feel this during their reactions. Poor Manato, his death wasn't that effective, it was really only to further the plot and maybe allow the other characters to grow.
Old 2016-01-31, 20:51   Link #404
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Is it me or the show really tries to ask the viewer "ARE YOU SAD NOW?" on every single moment?
This episode seems to establish that point.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-31, 21:10   Link #405
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i didn't really feel anything when he died. this is probably due to the lack of development everyone has gotten, since 1/4 of every episode is an insert song.. anyways, i feel like the gravity of the situation is finally going to hit, but it'll be an episode or two before Haru stands up and takes the role as the leader, as manito knew he would.

also, you can see during the creation scene that everyone else understands how serious the situation is. its probably not often someone dies, so when someone does, everyone takes notice. it seems like we'll be introduced to a lot of new characters next week. the new blue haired girl will probably be the replacement healer.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-31, 21:15   Link #406
bakato

Everything is dust in the wind.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-31, 21:17   Link #407
RDNexus

I guess I can now ask this... Has anyone noticed the OP/ED theme covers? They basically hinted at this spoiler.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-31, 21:21   Link #408
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

he's apparently also listed as a supporting character, and there's another mage that's the main character.

anywho, someone else said it (sort of) best:
Quote:
Well, when your healer is also the offtank, the mage is afk, the hunter is meleeing, the DK is a leeroy and the rogue pulled early...
a few things aren't quite true in that statement, but as mentioned before, their composition is completely off, and everyone is doing their job wrong. they were doomed to fail the moment something unexpected happened.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-31, 21:22   Link #409
Chosen_Hero

Sheesh, this anime is like a 30 minute CV.

Not really that sad about Manato dying (mostly due to a lot of people in the threads hinting at it since episode 1 and the death flags last episode), would have liked it better if it had been Ranta (can someone please just throw him off a cliff or something?) he is way too annoying in my opinion.

And that last scene, it was like the anime was waiting for you to cry or something.
Old 2016-01-31, 21:25   Link #410
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
a few things aren't quite true in that statement, but as mentioned before, their composition is completely off, and everyone is doing their job wrong. they were doomed to fail the moment something unexpected happened.
There's another thing: why are they seemingly stuck at RPG conventions if they aren't in an RPG setting?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2016-01-31, 21:44   Link #411
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
There's another thing: why are they seemingly stuck at RPG conventions if they aren't in an RPG setting?
That's not an RPG convention. People are good at different things depending on what they specialize in.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-31, 21:51   Link #412
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Yume is mine already.

I think Yume should have used her new skill in her bow....
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-31, 21:54   Link #413
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Sheesh, this anime is like a 30 minute CV.

Not really that sad about Manato dying (mostly due to a lot of people in the threads hinting at it since episode 1 and the death flags last episode), would have liked it better if it had been Ranta (can someone please just throw him off a cliff or something?) he is way too annoying in my opinion.

And that last scene, it was like the anime was waiting for you to cry or something.
Was the show supposed to just skip the cast responding to Manato's death or something ?

Plus probably a good thing that Ranta didn't die then. The last impact you want from an episode like this is people being glad a character is dead.

In the end they did a good job setting the emotional weight of the loss on the cast. With more time the loss of Manato himself would have hit harder, but they did a fine enough job getting across what Manato meant for the group that is still alive.
Old 2016-01-31, 22:00   Link #414
Nvis
Where are the good animes

I'm just kind of happy Manato died before Shihoru had any feelings for him....(evil-alignment statement)
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-31, 22:11   Link #415
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
That's not an RPG convention. People are good at different things depending on what they specialize in.
The problem is that they are ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE at what they do, real-life conventions be damned.
I'm honestly tired of kids fumbling around like this, although not more than the fact that the Japanese think that it's still a good dose of drama.
Maybe this is the reason why I prefer Log Horizon over all the other similar-themed shows around.

Old 2016-01-31, 22:13   Link #416
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMichael View Post
It was no doubt the best scene in this episode. However, the problem with this being the best part is that it overshadows Manato's death so much that it makes the impact little to nothing, and it's not surprising, we barely knew much about him nor did we care much for him. When a character dies you're suppose to feel sorrow and pain, tears creep into your eyes and you get goosebumps from the music and animation. I didn't really feel this, I did however feel this during their reactions. Poor Manato, his death wasn't that effective, it was really only to further the plot and maybe allow the other characters to grow.
I feel like that's the point. With Manato dead this early into the story (if indeed the show is moving that much more slowly than the average LN adaptation), there wasn't nearly enough time for us to grow attached to him.

This episode got to me a bit, I'll admit. But I was sad for the rest of the group, not Manato per se.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-31, 22:38   Link #417
Talukita

That's definitely the author point yeah. I skimmed through the novel and they don't really cry that much, but more about "Oh shit he dead, how are we going to take care of ourselves now, what will we do etc etc".

That is what makes me feel sad for Manato more though, since I'm affected more by meta view points instead of in-story view points, and his author obvious doesn't treat him as a full character in this case

The Anime however definitely wants to make people feel sad for his death, they already add some stuffs here and there for him so audiences can relate more to him. Of course it is still not enough for some people since the end is technically the same, but definitely somewhat more impactful so far compared to LN case
Talukita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-31, 22:52   Link #418
KnightShade

Quote:
The problem is that they are ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE at what they do, real-life conventions be damned.
I'm honestly tired of kids fumbling around like this, although not more than the fact that the Japanese think that it's still a good dose of drama.
Maybe this is the reason why I prefer Log Horizon over all the other similar-themed shows around.
so you like OP strategists who are fawned after by the entire population despite being socially inept to the point of being a walking cardboard box? all the while being surrounded by a side cast of walking tropes spouting MMO jargin disguised as dialogue/exposition.?

it amazes me people still think this is in the same genre or even has the same demographic as log horizon/SAO. it an isekai seinen story, not a gameworld shonen. anyone expecting grimgar to be like the later is wasting their time.
Old 2016-01-31, 22:53   Link #419
IceHism

Quote:
Okay... And?
The premise of this story was a bunch of noobs getting isekai'ed. There are a ton of stories out there about op people being whisked away or some person using their real life knowledge to leverage themselves in the transported world. There isn't anything to complain about when you are attacking the show's premise.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-31, 23:10   Link #420
Nicaea

The only one I really feel bad for is Haruhito, since he was the only one who was really close to Manato. I couldn't care any less about Shihoru's incomming guilt trip. Nice ost by the way.

About what happened though: It's not just about people doing their jobs wrong. This was a somewhat coordinated attack by the goblins. They forgot that they're dealing with monsters that are sentient and have enough brains to use weapons. If there should be any "fault" in the way the group conducted itself, it should be in how they're resting up that leisurely in the middle of hostile territory (in this case Ranta's comment was right because the small talk gave the goblins some good time to set up their ambush). This all culminated into an ambush that ended with some mismatches (for example, Ranta and moguzo would have had better fights if their opponents were swapped).

They don't know how to deal with thinking enemies yet and lack the experience to deal with enemies that counter you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
So Manato had Kotomine Kirei as his teacher, huh?

Also, I really got tired from the insert songs.
It's no wonder he died then

Quote:
Is it me or the show really tries to ask the viewer "ARE YOU SAD NOW?" on every single moment?
This episode seems to establish that point.
Yes it does, and I really hope the show knocks it off lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Yume is mine already.

I think Yume should have used her new skill in her bow....
I kind of hoped that she'd nab one of those crossbows the goblins were using.
Nicaea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy, slice of life, slow story