AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-09-29, 10:53   Link #61
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

If we want to get technical, Night City is rife with injector- and inhaler-type health boosters, like MaxDoc, Black Lace and Bounce Back. Some of these simply spike your bloodstream with a massive quantity of endorphins and adrenalin, which essentially act as painkillers. Cyberpsychos and Corpo Wars veterans have even been noted to be particularly fond of Black Lace for that reason.

MaxDoc differs from Bounce Back in that the former acts instantaneously, whereas the latter takes effect over time, which leads me to think that MD is more of a painkiller while its counterpart is more of a regenerative agent.

David could have used any of the three products, plus steroids, to stave off any damage and lingering aches, but MaxDoc, at least in-game, only gives you back 25% of your health, while Bounce Back goes up to 80%. That means attrition is still in play - and that's not counting higher risks of cybernetic overload, which in turns leads to cyberpsychosis.

As a side note, in CP2077, there is a watchable TV news broadcast that reveals that nanite treatments are a thing in this world, although it is practically a given that only the 1% can afford them (the newly-developed cure for multiple sclerosis, for one, comes at a hefty price of 700,000 eurodollars per month! That's almost the equivalent of three trips to the Moon in one month).

Last edited by Renegade334; 2022-09-29 at 12:31. Reason: wording
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-29, 12:16   Link #62
AC-Phoenix
Detective

The way the anime clarified Cyberpsychos makes them actually worse than before... If the number of implants would really affect it, governments would put out legal limits. At least for non Corpos and Government people...

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-29, 12:48   Link #63
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Not in 2077. Governments have corpo hands so far up their colons that, instead, deregulation constitutes the norm. It's a time where air pollution in certain [Eastern] parts Europe has risen by 2,000% but France and other members of the EU refuse to intervene in their industrial output and emission policies for fear of undermining the sacrosanct principle of the free market and its underpinnings. Which is a very sleazy way for them to say that they leave it to the corps to compete with one another and find the solution to the problem themselves.

This is also the world where forming a trade union automatically earmarks the participants as "terrorists" and lethal force is granted to corporations all for the sake of restoring production and service.

It's also a world where a French political activist was arrested and sentenced to 40 years of prison and psychological reeducation/rehabilitation using braindances. His crime? Advocating for pension annuities and social benefits, a change that could potentially destroy the GDP of many developed countries.

Circling back to the topic of cyberpsychosis --- there is, in the game, a news report by Arif Iqbal, quoting the chairman of the implant association who states "it's not the implants that are killing people, but the individuals themselves who misuse our products", in a very NRA-ish fashion.

It's clear no one is interested in taking responsibility, governments are universally unhelpful and are too busy kowtowing to their corpo overlords............and profit margins have a greater weight than any body count.

This is the supercapitalist/hypercapitalist/turbocapitalist/zombie capitalist world of 2077.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2022-09-29 at 13:08.
Old 2022-10-01, 17:02   Link #64
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Finally finished it and go tto say:
Anime logic:

V, a total newb at it can quickhack Adam Smasher to death. Lucy, the Arasaka prodigy netrunner cannot.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2022-10-02, 16:31   Link #65
Dark Wing

Finally sat down watch Edgerunners. This anime encompasses the saying that it's better to burn out than fade away.
Old 2022-10-02, 17:48   Link #66
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Finally sat down watch Edgerunners. This anime encompasses the saying that it's better to burn out than fade away.
I don't think that's what the anime was going for at all. Especially with that final scene. Sure, David is remembered by Night City as a badass, but does it matter? I doubt it makes Lucy feel any better about losing the man she loved.
Old 2022-10-02, 21:27   Link #67
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I don't think that's what the anime was going for at all. Especially with that final scene. Sure, David is remembered by Night City as a badass, but does it matter? I doubt it makes Lucy feel any better about losing the man she loved.
The entire premise of life in Night City and Cyberpunk in general is that it only cares how you died, not how you lived.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-03, 18:19   Link #68
Alchemist007
*Author

I've only watched up through ep 6 though I've been spoiled (willingly) on the ending. David thinking he's special after being forced to go through minutes/hours of what it's like to be a cyberpsycho is some really idiotic behavior. If anything you'd think he'd learn to be more cautious about further upgrades or overuse.
Old 2022-10-03, 18:38   Link #69
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
I've only watched up through ep 6 though I've been spoiled (willingly) on the ending. David thinking he's special after being forced to go through minutes/hours of what it's like to be a cyberpsycho is some really idiotic behavior. If anything you'd think he'd learn to be more cautious about further upgrades or overuse.
He's had a death wish since his mom died. Losing the man he saw as a father figure dealt another heavy blow and made him rush toward death even faster. Sadly, Lucy's love just wasn't enough to save him. That's what makes Lucy by far the most tragic character. All she wanted was to protect him, and she has to live on carrying the weight of her failure.
Old 2022-10-03, 18:48   Link #70
ryllharu

Quote:
He's had a death wish since his mom died. Losing the man he saw as a father figure dealt another heavy blow and made him rush toward death even faster. Sadly, Lucy's love just wasn't enough to save him. That's what makes Lucy by far the most tragic character. All she wanted was to protect him, and she has to live on carrying the weight of her failure.
All they had to do was speak to one another, trust one another. Like Lucy had at the very beginning when she revealed to David and ONLY David, her personal dream to escape to the moon.

Lucy was keeping secret what she was doing to protect him. David was keeping secret he was pushing himself to the limit so he could satisfy her dream for her.

Had they been working together; they both could have left the city safely.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-04, 00:36   Link #71
magnuskn

Oooof, finally saw it. Bleak. Really makes you think about what we did to V (or what he did to him/herself) by putting all that cyberware into him/herself. Also, the pure slaughter in this series really makes you think a lot more about how you went about playing your game.

Okay, I actually played a netrunner who just knocked out people, i.e. I never used the suicide hack and all that. So, I really went softly on the opponents. But for my next run I was planning on going with a gun / katana dexterity build. Unless I find the mods for nonlethal damage real quick, I might re-think that now.

Anyway, poor Lucy. And poor Becca.
Old 2022-10-04, 03:47   Link #72
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

There is...technically, a way for David to survive and make into a Season 2, but it's very unlikely.

Spoiler for big game spoilers:

And, and the CP2077 YouTube channel dropped this yesterday:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Renegade334; 2022-10-04 at 06:34.
Old 2022-10-04, 05:05   Link #73
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

David died in a blaze of glory (sort of), which is pretty much how those who want to make some sort of mark on the City want to go. I'm more interested to see more stories of others in Night City since it's been shown that they can do successfully with Edgerunners.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-04, 13:08   Link #74
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
There is...technically, a way for David to survive and make into a Season 2, but it's very unlikely.

Spoiler for big game spoilers:

And, and the CP2077 YouTube channel dropped this yesterday:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
We've actually not seen Smasher really shoot, it was just heavily inclined, therefore Arasaka could have stopped him in time, leaving options for david to both become an engram (which Smasher even suggested) and him not being dead at all.

And David isn't even the only one whose death is rather ambiguous.
rebecca still looked rather good, considering that she got SMASHED (pun intended), and KIWI got killed behind a dumpster.

Spoiler for Prototype Chip stuff - Game:

Old 2022-10-04, 15:29   Link #75
sa547
*Author

As I said in another site, I'm interested in a second season but re-rolling a new character in a different setting, faction, and situation. So many other stories that could come out of the game, like all those D&D playthroughs which resulted in, say, the Record of Lodoss War.
Old 2022-10-04, 15:30   Link #76
Alchemist007
*Author

Game sequel announced.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CDPROJEKT...17455524929538
Old 2022-10-05, 12:10   Link #77
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Finally finished it and go tto say:
Anime logic:

V, a total newb at it can quickhack Adam Smasher to death. Lucy, the Arasaka prodigy netrunner cannot.
Lucy had been badly beaten up at that point. If V really was a 'newb' by the time they met Smasher, although being controlled by a player instead of a game can be taken to represent prodigious talent, this sounds like a flaw of the game rather than the anime.

Quote:
Self-destruction isn't exactly the same as desire for death. I'd say he wanted the power to impose his will on the world and give meaning to his life, badly enough to use the quickest and easiest means of obtaining that power for himself, although it would rapidly kill him.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2022-10-05 at 13:28.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-05, 12:31   Link #78
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
Lucy had been badly beaten up at that point. If V really was a 'newb' by the time they met Smasher, although being controlled by a player instead of a game can be taken to represent prodigious talent, this sounds like a flaw of the game rather than the anime.
given that the anime came first, and Smasher hasn't gotten an ICE since, it's an oversight on the anime's part.
Also If you account for Lucy being heavily beaten up, V was literally on the verge of death, so there is still a huge hole in the anime's logic of Smasher being able to easily repel Lucy's hack there.

Old 2022-10-05, 13:44   Link #79
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
given that the anime came first, and Smasher hasn't gotten an ICE since, it's an oversight on the anime's part.
Also If you account for Lucy being heavily beaten up, V was literally on the verge of death, so there is still a huge hole in the anime's logic of Smasher being able to easily repel Lucy's hack there.
My point was that Adam Smasher is presented as a difficult cyborg to kill. There is absolutely nothing unreasonable in itself about a severely beaten Lucy failing to hack such an experienced and augmented cyborg with Arasaka's hacking-defence resources behind him, who has presumably been killing anyone who tried to hack him to death since I think the 2010s. It's a 'newb on the verge of death' managing to hack and kill this final boss which, in itself, requires much more justification than you're giving me if the game isn't weakening its internal credibility with a less-than-probable feat. V needs to have some advantage Lucy didn't have, to hack Adam Smasher without making for an unconvincing resolution. Which Edgerunners would have strongly improved on in terms of drama and likelihood by their ending where Smasher isn't so easily hacked.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2022-10-05 at 13:56.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-22, 23:08   Link #80
Alchemist007
*Author

Finally finished it, the last 2 eps sure felt fast. I liked the first half more since it felt more like the discovery phase, and the second half was more paying the price, but it is what it is.

8/10

Tags
adaptation, sci-fi