AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2020-12-15, 11:40   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 999 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Just one more chapter to go, guys! In the meantime, credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the info:

-Chapter title is "The waiting liquor I made for you". Splash is half of a special color page commemorating the thousandth chapter!

-Yamato has a flashback of Ace's raid on Onigashima, in which the two of them fought. As it turns out, Kaidou wasn't there at the time as he was out on a pirating expedition. It also turns out that Ace's main purpose in coming to the island was to rescue several children who were kidnapped from mainland Wano, which their parents were helpless to stop. Ace takes down the scrubs, but finds Yamato, who feels no obligation to defend the castle, a challenge (she merely fights him to ease her boredom). During the fight, Ace notices her handcuffs and realizes she has issues with her father. When this is pointed out to her, Yamato breaks the dragon statue shown last chapter out of frustration. Ace, who takes a liking to her, attacks the statue as well, claiming it's a warning to Kaidou. After their scuffle, Ace and Yamato became friends, and they share drinks. Yamato voices her dream of sailing the seas and living in freedom like her idol Oden, once she's released from the cuffs. Ace in turn regales her with stories about the younger generation of strong pirates.... including Luffy, whom he's confident will be the strongest of them all. Back in the present, Yamato reveals her identity as Kaidou's daughter to Momo, but reassures him she's still on his side.

-We briefly cut to Tama, who tells Nami of her promise to Ace to become a great kunoichi. That's when she learns from Nami that Luffy and Ace are brothers. Back at the live floor, Marco also briefly thinks of Ace as he flies Zoro towards the roof. We learn in the flashback that Ace asked Whitebeard to attack Kaidou so he can keep his promise to the people of Wano. However, while Izou and Marco understand how Ace feels, having learned of Oden's death several years after it occurred, they also knew they had to exercise restraint, as they're both well aware of the risks involved if they went to war with Kaidou. Ace then demands to fight Kaidou alone, but an enraged Whitebeard hits him for being so brash. Besides, how could he win against someone even Oden lost to? Teach, who was still a WB pirate at the time, thinks that Ace is aiming for the glory of taking down a huge bounty head, but Marco shoots down that statement. He and Izou then assure Ace that they'll go to Wano together once WB gives them the okay....

-Back in the present once more, King and Queen await Marco in their transformed states! Queen shoots at the phoenix man with his guns (which are held in his mouth), but the bullets have no effect! The all-stars tell him that resistance is futile, as all the rebelling samurai will fall soon. And as soon as Momonosuke is executed, this war will end! However, Marco, who's still carrying Zoro tells them they're being too naive if they think ending the war is that simple..... as what they're TRULY fighting against is the New Era itself! Meanwhile, it seems Tama and Nami hatched up a plan together. We then cut back to Yamato, who reveals to Momo that Ace is Roger's son and Luffy's sworn brother. She considers it fate that Momo brought Luffy to Wano, and brings up the "D" in his name. She then brings out Oden's journal....

-On the roof, Big Mom meets up with Kaidou, as they both await Luffy's arrival. Her homies Zeus and Prometheus have recovered to full strength as well, after eating clouds and flames, respectively. She tells him to make sure he keeps Nico Robin alive (clearly for the purpose of reading Poneglyphs). Kaidou asks her if that means her daughter with three eyes (Pudding) is still unable to read the ancient texts. She says she's not sure, but can't afford to wait anymore. Kaidou then reveals he'll drop Onigashima on top of the shogun's castle, which represents the Kouzuki clan. Linlin wonders if that means the Road Poneglyph is hidden there, as well. Kaidou thinks she's being greedy, but she retorts that she still regards him as a little brother, and reminds him that she gave him his Devil Fruit: The Uo Uo (fish) no Mi Mythical Zoan! Linlin gave Kaidou that fruit at God Valley on the very day that their former captain, Rocks D. Xebec, met his downfall!!! THIS is the great debt that he owes her. However, the two will deal with this issue AFTER they've found the One Piece.....!!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

BTW, for those confused as to why a fish-based Zoan means Kaidou becomes a dragon.... well, I'd recommend checking this out.

Oh, and for those curious about the release schedule for the next few weeks (credit goes to MH's Erinyes for the info):

Quote:
Dec 14th - > official release WSJ issue #2- OP 998
Dec 21 -> Official release - Wsj double issue #3-#4 - OP 999 - sc@n expected release as usual on Dec 18th
Dec 28 - Holiday - WSj on Break
Jan 4th - Official release Wsj double issue #5-6 - OP 1000 -Sc@n expected as usual or might come slightly before depending on various factors. So expect sc@n to be released probably around Jan 1-2nd, or a couple of days before.
Jan 11 - Holiday - WSJ on Break
Jan 18th ->Official release Wsj # 7 - OP 1001 - sc@n probably around January 15th
^So yes, while there should TECHNICALLY be a break next week, we can't rule out an early (if unofficial) Christmas surprise! Keep your eyes peeled!

Last edited by marvelB; 2020-12-17 at 15:14.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-15, 12:22   Link #2
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Woo woo~~ Can't wait for the Christmas release
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-15, 13:07   Link #3
Hoodspirit

Sounds like a good chapter.
Not a fan of all the reveals when our SHPs aren't even there to hear them though.
Luffy not reaching the roof in 999 reduces a lot of possibilities for 1000.
Hopefully we don't cut away from Tama right away and get a proper reaction.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-15, 13:12   Link #4
grecefar

I don't expect something major in chapter 1000, a double color page sure.

Thanks for the info of the devil fruit
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-15, 13:45   Link #5
MAX_COLA_POWER!

In before Eiichiro had a Pokémon kick when he made the chapter. Suddenly Magikarp and Gyarados got more street cred.
Old 2020-12-15, 14:48   Link #6
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

so Big Mom didn't fly up there to betray Kaidou...

good chance they BOTH fall this arc...
Old 2020-12-15, 17:33   Link #7
marvelB

Huh, and here I figured I'd see people bitching about all the attention Ace got this chapter (from at least three characters, no less!). Well, color me surprised! Personally, the only gripe I have so far is that apparently Pudding's hidden power was just the ability to decipher the ancient texts. I mean, it makes sense why Linlin would desire such an ability, but I figured there would be more to Pudding's secret than that. Hopefully, there are indeed more mysteries behind her to be unearthed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
Not a fan of all the reveals when our SHPs aren't even there to hear them though.
Luffy not reaching the roof in 999 reduces a lot of possibilities for 1000.
Actually, the chapter's ending gives me the impression that Oda's leaning towards a Kaidou flashback for chapter 1000. Heck, maybe even a flashback about the Rocks pirate crew in general. I'd say learning the history behind the man who was the closest there was to being Pirate King before Roger would count as a pretty significant event worthy of the thousandth chapter....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
In before Eiichiro had a Pokémon kick when he made the chapter. Suddenly Magikarp and Gyarados got more street cred.
To be fair, Magikarp/Gyarados was originally based on the Chinese myth, not the other way around, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
so Big Mom didn't fly up there to betray Kaidou...

good chance they BOTH fall this arc...
If anything, the fact that Big Mom intends to capture Robin lends all the MORE credence toward her being toppled alongside Kaidou this arc. No way in hell is Luffy going to stand idly by and let that happen.....
Old 2020-12-15, 18:03   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Actually, the chapter's ending gives me the impression that Oda's leaning towards a Kaidou flashback for chapter 1000. Heck, maybe even a flashback about the Rocks pirate crew in general. I'd say learning the history behind the man who was the closest there was to being Pirate King before Roger would count as a pretty significant event worthy of the thousandth chapter....
Same here. I'd be very surprised if chapter 1000 isn't a flashback that introduces Rocks. It's the biggest thing Oda can do given the current narrative.
Old 2020-12-15, 21:59   Link #9
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

All of Act 3 has been great so far but the chapters leading up to Chapter 1000 have been absolute bangers!

Quote:
Huh, and here I figured I'd see people bitching about all the attention Ace got this chapter (from at least three characters, no less!). Well, color me surprised!
I'm sure they would be if it was a flashback that lasted more than a chapter and went through Chapter 1000 but this inclusion is pretty tasteful for the moment. I feel like an extended flashback regarding Kaidou and Yamato's side of things is required. I just don't know where it would fit with what's currently happening in the story.

Quote:
Personally, the only gripe I have so far is that apparently Pudding's hidden power was just the ability to decipher the ancient texts. I mean, it makes sense why Linlin would desire such an ability, but I figured there would be more to Pudding's secret than that. Hopefully, there are indeed more mysteries behind her to be unearthed...
Didn't Big Mom say as much all the way back in Whole Cake Island? This isn't really new information. The bigger mystery is everything surrounding that fact.
I'm actually glad that Oda is picking up this plot point again. Along with Robin's importance to the Straw Hat's enemies. I just hope that Pudding doesn't find her way into Blackbeard's hands; like everyone is predicting.
Old 2020-12-16, 01:27   Link #10
Rainbowman

I didn’t think that Kaidou’s zoan powers were that of a fish and not a reptile which most dragons happen to be. Of course I have heard that Dinosaurs and other reptiles have evolved from fish when they crawled from the water onto the land so it’s not all that far fetched. 🤷🏻*♂️
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-17, 16:23   Link #11
marvelB

OP updated! Huh, I guess Ace's prior invasion of Onigashima is the reason why Kaidou tried to get the jump on WB midway to Marineford. If so, it's truly fortunate that Shanks was there to stop him....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Didn't Big Mom say as much all the way back in Whole Cake Island? This isn't really new information. The bigger mystery is everything surrounding that fact.
Hm, I don't remember Linlin specifying Pudding's ability back then (gotta check back on that), but even so, I still kinda feel there should be more to it than merely reading the texts. I mean, I'm not expecting her to be another Shirahoshi, but it should still be something completely unique, IMO. Like maybe something haki-related, I guess. Hopefully, that gets cleared up sooner, rather than later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
I'm actually glad that Oda is picking up this plot point again. Along with Robin's importance to the Straw Hat's enemies. I just hope that Pudding doesn't find her way into Blackbeard's hands; like everyone is predicting.
Yep, I'm also glad to see the mysteries surrounding Pudding resurface! I'm slightly unsure about Teach targeting her, though. I wouldn't doubt he'd attempt to, unpredictable as he is (I mean, there had to be a reason he went after Jewelry Bonney as well shortly after the Marineford war), but I can't help but wonder if he has some crazier stunt in mind, something on (or more likely, beyond) the level of busting out all those level 6 prisoners from Impel Down.....
Old 2020-12-17, 19:03   Link #12
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So Whitebeard did learn about what happened to Oden from Ace, and he did nothing.
Old 2020-12-17, 19:55   Link #13
marvelB

^Actually, I think WB knew of Oden's death long before Ace joined. According to Marco and Izou, they pleaded for WB to avenge Oden "several" times in the past, before they eventually realized how risky it would be to take on the Beast pirates. So I guess you could say that WB did "nothing" about Oden's death for quite a long time.....
Old 2020-12-18, 01:01   Link #14
Rainbowman

So I’ve been seeing 9 out of 10 of the color pages involving #ONEPIECE1000LOGS featuring each member of the Strawhat pirates. We reached chapter 999 but there’s no sign of the last one featuring Luffy. I’m asking: What’s the delay?
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-18, 02:44   Link #15
Hoodspirit

We didn't reach 999 officially yet, best to try it on japanese monday again for the #ONEPIECE1000LOGS.

While we may no get something spectacular from Luffy in chapter 1000, there were quite a few things set up this chapter that I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing about in chapter 1000.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-18, 07:18   Link #16
Zolton

This chapter is quite exposition-heavy. It all but confirms that Oda has been dragging things out on purpose just to have something huge happen in a chapter with a pretty number.

Whatever. We've reached the milestone, so I hope Oda has no more reason to keep doing this. The story should pick up the pace now.
Zolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-18, 13:54   Link #17
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolton View Post
This chapter is quite exposition-heavy. It all but confirms that Oda has been dragging things out on purpose just to have something huge happen in a chapter with a pretty number.

Whatever. We've reached the milestone, so I hope Oda has no more reason to keep doing this. The story should pick up the pace now.
Oh ye of little faith.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-18, 20:43   Link #18
itachi-san314

Wow, what an epic chapter. Exciting from start to finish. Not exactly sure why Wano didn't revolt when all the most powerful antagonists were gone, but I guess I'll go with it

Quote:
If Oda wants Ch. 1000 to be well received, then a Rocks/Kaidou flashback like that is a surefire hit.

Quote:
If anything, the fact that Big Mom intends to capture Robin lends all the MORE credence toward her being toppled alongside Kaidou this arc. No way in hell is Luffy going to stand idly by and let that happen.....
Yea haha. Doom sealed.

Quote:
^Actually, I think WB knew of Oden's death long before Ace joined. According to Marco and Izou, they pleaded for WB to avenge Oden "several" times in the past, before they eventually realized how risky it would be to take on the Beast pirates. So I guess you could say that WB did "nothing" about Oden's death for quite a long time.....
It doesn't sit well with me that WB didn't avenge Oden, but I guess he was putting his crew above revenge like how he tried to convince Ace not to go after Blackbeard.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-19, 18:02   Link #19
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
It doesn't sit well with me that WB didn't avenge Oden, but I guess he was putting his crew above revenge like how he tried to convince Ace not to go after Blackbeard.
Honestly, aside from looking out for his sons' welfare as you said, the only other reason I can see WB being so reluctant to face Kaidou is because of their past connection as fellow Rocks pirates. But the problem with that line of reasoning is that being former crewmates didn't stop Kaidou and Linlin from trying to rip each other apart just prior to forming their alliance (and that's despite it being revealed this very chapter that Linlin gave Kaidou his fruit). So if there's any other reason why WB wouldn't go after the King of Beasts, I just hope Oda reveals it sooner, rather than later....
Old 2020-12-19, 19:43   Link #20
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Honestly, aside from looking out for his sons' welfare as you said, the only other reason I can see WB being so reluctant to face Kaidou is because of their past connection as fellow Rocks pirates. But the problem with that line of reasoning is that being former crewmates didn't stop Kaidou and Linlin from trying to rip each other apart just prior to forming their alliance (and that's despite it being revealed this very chapter that Linlin gave Kaidou his fruit). So if there's any other reason why WB wouldn't go after the King of Beasts, I just hope Oda reveals it sooner, rather than later....
I seem to recall Whitebeard saying he didn't like/didn't get along with the rest of Rocks' crew, so I doubt sentimentality is what was holding him back.