AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-10-04, 12:31   Link #1
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Life after death, Death in General, Heaven/Hell, The Reason for Living, and Dieing...

Let me just start out by saying that this is not intended to be a "pointless" thread...

Are you afraid of death, or dieing? What's your beliefs on a next world or life? Do you believe in a heaven and/or hell?
I've heard many people say that there not afraid of death, It's hard to tell if there just saying that to act tough, or if they actually believe it.
For example if someone you know says that there not afraid of dieing, but then put in a life threatening situation, how would they react?
(I'll share my opinions on this once the thread gets started)

Last edited by thevil1; 2010-10-04 at 23:49.
thevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 13:03   Link #2
Kafriel
Senior Guest

You may want to check this thread, since I noticed you haven't posted on it, but since this one expands to other matters, might as well answer here.
I've come to terms with dying someday, although I'd do anything to prevent it, since I don't know if anything follows, meaning I'd miss out on all of life's pleasures Not really a heaven/hell believer, don't care much about it either way. I think that if anyone was put in a life-threatening situation, they'd try to survive by instinct unless they're mentally ill.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 13:28   Link #3
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
...I've come to terms with dying someday, although I'd do anything to prevent it,...
Having said brings up a question. What limits do you put on "anything"? if you could have eternal happiness, and live forever, but you had to kill to get that, Would you? Even if that person says there not afraid of death?

Yeah, I'm afraid of dieing, Granted I know that everyone dies at some point, and even though I've excepted this fact, it's still hard not to be afraid of it. I'm not deathly afraid of dieing (not pun intended), I think it's the fact of being cut short opposed to living life to the fullest and fulfilling a purpose before I'm ready.
Old 2010-10-04, 14:10   Link #4
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
eternal happiness...kill to get that
Pretty much self-contradictory, one cannot be happy by killing.
Quote:
What limits do you put on "anything"?
My own moral and physical limits, for example I wouldn't run from war/betray my country so as to survive and have everyone else I know killed, but I'd flee from a street gang trying to mug me, it's not like "I'll beat the crap out of them, and if they kill me...oh well".
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 14:31   Link #5
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

^
Good points...
Old 2010-10-04, 15:16   Link #6
LeoXiao
思想工作

I'm not afraid to die, I'm just afraid to die badly. I'm also disturbed by the fact that a few people would be highly inconvenienced by my death. I also like being alive and doing stuff I find meaningful. But I'm not scared of being dead since I wouldn't care after I died.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 15:46   Link #7
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I'm not afraid of death. In fact, when it comes, I will welcome it with open arms. Don't get me wrong, it's not as if I want to die. But I want to live so that I may one day die happily and with the knowledge that I will be missed because I was loved. And I want to make that happen by making sure that I will love those people close to me and the ones I hold dear to me, to protect them and help them in their life as well as mine. I live so that I may die splendidly.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 17:33   Link #8
Irkalla
I asked for this

I'm terrified of death and ageing, but since there is nothing I can do about it, I don't waste my time contemplating about it and just embrace each day that I'm alive. I'd say carpe diem, but that it's too cliché. I don't believe in any kind of afterlife, when you die, you die. Scary, but that is how it is, nobody gets out of it.

And more than mythical afterlives, I wonder how awesome it would be to get your mind uploaded and get yourself cloned and then installed back. Would be awesome. Or maybe I'd get to chose a custom body as well? Whoa. Or maybe they could just put all dead people's minds in a perfect digital world, I could live with that. And the sad part in this is, that unless humanity destroys itself in the process, we will probably get to that point in time.
Old 2010-10-04, 17:38   Link #9
Fome

Old age is the most terrifying thing I can conceive of. Comparatively, death is no worry at all.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 18:03   Link #10
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I'm afraid to die by accident . I want to live as long as a Human can live . I don't want to lose my dear friends and family yet . If i die by ageing then it's ok this is the life , i won't be afraid .

Also , painful death is ouch ...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 18:10   Link #11
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Don't believe in afterlife generally not bothered about death . Only hope it would be fast and painless . Also wish would be would know before hand, so could live life to the fullest in those last hours . Yeah I do lust for life but don't want to be held down .

If I die due to old age then would be awesome . If by that time brain mapping and memory transfer is possible .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaseka View Post

And more than mythical afterlives
, I wonder how awesome it would be to get your mind uploaded and get yourself cloned and then installed back.

Would be awesome. Or maybe I'd get to chose a custom body as well? Whoa. Or maybe they could just put all dead people's minds in a perfect digital world, I could live with that. And the sad part in this is, that unless humanity destroys itself in the process, we will probably get to that point in time.
Oh SHIAT !!! I should have patented that idea ^.^

Old 2010-10-04, 18:22   Link #12
EnchantingPrincess
~♥~G-Ri~♥~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
I'm not afraid of death. In fact, when it comes, I will welcome it with open arms. Don't get me wrong, it's not as if I want to die. But I want to live so that I may one day die happily and with the knowledge that I will be missed because I was loved. And I want to make that happen by making sure that I will love those people close to me and the ones I hold dear to me, to protect them and help them in their life as well as mine. I live so that I may die splendidly.
Thats deep O.o I agree with you.

Well I am not afriad of death, but how I might die. If its a painful death... >.<
But as Tsuyoshi says, "I want to live so that I may one day die happily"
I don't want to be full of regrets when I pass >.<
So I shall love and treat my loved ones.... with love so love with be remembered between us.
EnchantingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 18:38   Link #13
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I live now, I'll die some day. I don't really worry about it. Life wouldn't be worth living without its ephemeral nature.
Old 2010-10-04, 18:41   Link #14
ChainLegacy
廉頗

It scares me a little bit, but I've come to terms with death. I used to think everyone was afraid of death and some people just lie by saying otherwise but some events in my life have made me a lot less afraid and more at peace with death. In fact, actually dying and not being alive means much less to me than the sadness my family would feel if I died (especially my baby brother).
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 18:44   Link #15
Aka_Tsuki
NPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPrincess View Post
Well I am not afriad of death, but how I might die. If its a painful death... >.<
Yes, my thoughts exactly too.
With that in mind, if you die without pain and prepared, doesn't dieing feel exciting...a bit? No one knows what's going to happen..a bit mysterious o_o
Old 2010-10-04, 19:04   Link #16
Nosauz

Isn't this basically a religuous question? Because either you believe in heavan, purgatory, 73 virgin afterlife, living the afterlife with your servants etc. I don't know if there is an afterlife so might as well live this one to the fullest.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 19:39   Link #17
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I've never been afraid of death. I'm more afraid of losing loved ones and having to live on with the pain of them being gone. When my time comes, I will embrace it with honor and dignity.

I do very much believe in a Heaven/Afterlife. And I believe that someday I will go there, and see my friends/family that I've lost, and will lose throughout my life, as well as the pets that I've cared for. It's impossible for me to believe that we just die and there is nothing afterwards.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 20:01   Link #18
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Well, I can't say that the idea of dying scares me as much as it annoys me. If I die, whether of old age or accident, I know that I've done everything to the best of my abilities, so I have absolutely nothing to feel bad about. Because really, even if you do badly, that's the best you can do at that time for whatever reason.

What annoys me isn't that I'd be "cut short" in my accomplishments or anything, but that I wouldn't be able to see what comes next. Not necessarily next for me, but next for the world and the whole of the universe. There are always cool things happening, and I want to see as many of them as possible.

So no, I'm not afraid to die, but I will do everything I can to prevent my own demise.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 20:16   Link #19
Mr Bland
Photographers are sexy.

I'm afraid to die. It's a scary thought. I'm terrified of being in a horrible accident or dieing of some painful disease. However, I don't believe in the after life. When you die, it's lights out. Of course that makes no sense to humans though, because we have consciousness, so it's very uncomfortable to think of, not to mention it's impossible to think of.

How can even begin to comprehend the lack of your own consciousness?

How depressing.
Old 2010-10-04, 20:21   Link #20
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I explain it as "try to remember the time from before you were born." Though I still haven't made any conclusions if *nothingness* is what comes after death, I'll just have to wait and see (or not see forever ).
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote