AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-01-06, 14:18   Link #181
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Actually, lately I've been thinking of moving jobs,in particular try for something overseas. I'd like to work in east asia, but I've heard the hours there are awful. Given that, I'd like:
1. Be located in big vibrant city, with plenty of opportunities for meeting people/dating. Large asian community a plus for my hobbies.
2. Operations/industry type post(not research)
3. Innovative company, not traditional.
4. Decent hours (<~40 hours a week with irregular overtime).
5. English, or accepting of moderate French.

I'm used to looking for roles as a graduate, but not as an employed person, any tips? In particular, I really don't have time to fill out hundreds of applications, so what's the easiest way forward for me? And is there any part of asia I can work in without pulling 60+ hour weeks?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 23:59   Link #182
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Actually, lately I've been thinking of moving jobs,in particular try for something overseas. I'd like to work in east asia, but I've heard the hours there are awful. Given that, I'd like:
1. Be located in big vibrant city, with plenty of opportunities for meeting people/dating. Large asian community a plus for my hobbies.

I'm used to looking for roles as a graduate, but not as an employed person, any tips? In particular, I really don't have time to fill out hundreds of applications, so what's the easiest way forward for me? And is there any part of asia I can work in without pulling 60+ hour weeks?
Under regulations, no; but given the workload caused by bureaucracy you have to without pay.

Philippines is your best bet. Singapore loves angmohs, so you might have a chance people will kowtow to you.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 16:29   Link #183
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:

....What kind of hobbies?
Old 2014-01-08, 14:15   Link #184
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
....What kind of hobbies?
Chinese Food!

Anime!

Kung fu films!

Girls! (Wait a minute...)

I live in a city with very few asians, so it's difficult to engage in any of them, alas. But the lack of good asian food is the biggest problem. The only good chinese food I can get is the stuff I cook myself...
Old 2014-02-07, 00:15   Link #185
SeaDragon
Leviathan

I've been looking for a while now, no luck.

it seems they frown upon me for not having a job while I was going to college full time -_- (now I can't find a job since I've had no experience)

pardon me for focusing on my studies... oh well, hopefully I'll find one soon!
Old 2014-02-08, 18:24   Link #186
solomon

I remember one lady I hit on gave me some sage advice.

"Fake it till you make it"

I'm not saying go for the nuclear tech job if you are an English major, but it seems like you have to put more emphasis on SELLING yourself to get the job as opposed to getting the job sometimes.

Historically people have said the best education is experience, if you are "almost there", I'd sell the FUCK out of myself at the interview and then go full on 200% at picking up shit on the job if possible.

THis is what I have learned from my elders. Anybody have any thoughts on that?
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 19:20   Link #187
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
I remember one lady I hit on gave me some sage advice.

"Fake it till you make it"

I'm not saying go for the nuclear tech job if you are an English major, but it seems like you have to put more emphasis on SELLING yourself to get the job as opposed to getting the job sometimes.

Historically people have said the best education is experience, if you are "almost there", I'd sell the FUCK out of myself at the interview and then go full on 200% at picking up shit on the job if possible.

THis is what I have learned from my elders. Anybody have any thoughts on that?
It works, but be careful of pay depressions. I once went to an agent who was purposefully aggresive so I would take up her job offer of $1600 at a bank when I need a salary much more than that. She went on to say that my qualifications don't command such a salary (most employers here go by previous salary, which I draw close to $2000 depending on OT), and that my attitude is "unprofessional", which I am showing through my body language, since I don't want to be verbally direct that her bullshitting skills suck.*

To date, I have been a sushi/sashimi preparer, insurance agent, QA electrician, logistics assistant, bank staff, IT station chief and many other things with only an A-level. As much bragging rights and life experience all these brings, I would suggest that you pick something you are passionate about and find the job for it. The rest of the part simply requires you to be honest. In fact, my experience tells me that most fakers who are there for the money are lousy employees who can't even get anything right or improve on it, and have zero motivation to do so.

In short, they are productivity leeches of the passionate staff and are responsible for unnecessary operating costs.

* - At that time, the bank is cutting employees due to the Euro crisis, thus turning to temps to make up for paperwork clearing as it is audit season in September.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-02-08, 19:22   Link #188
monsta666

A CV (or resume) is a marketing document and you are the salesman that pitches your product (yourself) to your potential customer (the employer). Like any good salesman you will not make outright lies that could land in you in hot water. You will however push the envelope in terms of what can be deemed the truth. We know that the vast majority of successful sales rep operate in this manner. As long as you don't lie then it all good; you got to see the game for what it is.
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 20:05   Link #189
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Indeed. Sell Sell Sell.

Accentuate the positive. Job interview is not the time to confess that you occasionally like to take long bathroom breaks.
Old 2014-02-10, 08:09   Link #190
jdennis007

Not having experience means that you are not tied down to a previous employers methods on how things are down but rather completely open to (potential employer) way of doing things.
Everything depends on how you phrase it in an interview.
An interview is like a dance or a game it all depends on how well you can do it.
Old 2014-04-06, 12:16   Link #191
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

So I'd really like to make a push on looking for a job in Asia, particularly China (or Taiwan, Hong Kong etc.). I've got a year's experience working in Engineering Construction (CAD work mostly), and I know a fair whack about China, but I don't know any Chinese.

I don't really want to work in teaching, do I have a decent chance of finding a job in other sectors?

Are there any good websites for finding jobs in Asia?
Old 2014-04-06, 13:56   Link #192
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
So I'd really like to make a push on looking for a job in Asia, particularly China (or Taiwan, Hong Kong etc.). I've got a year's experience working in Engineering Construction (CAD work mostly), and I know a fair whack about China, but I don't know any Chinese.

I don't really want to work in teaching, do I have a decent chance of finding a job in other sectors?

Are there any good websites for finding jobs in Asia?
You have to be very resourceful, or just dreaming.

To work overseas requires at least a good set of grades or 5 years of working experience, particularly at least 2 years in M/P roles, or 2-3 years of good KPI if you are getting your company to post you.

Asia is extremely competitive, salaries are low and management tend to hierachical, if not exploitative. They wouldn't want to hire a Westerner unless he know their local tongue or has an irresistable offer (money).

The only way I know how to get "special postings" is to go down straight to recruitment centres and ask directly as they are often masked behind the more ubiquitious job postings. 4/5 of the recruiters are retarded and won't be able to tell the difference between PRC & ROC/Cambodia & Vietnam/Sabah & Sarawak, but you just need to get that one to get a catalogue. However, as I said, most of the positions are largely faceitious and are plagued by low salaries - a factory liaision between Singapore and Vietnam earns around S$1.7K-$2.3 monthly even with living expenses paid for*, while dealing with a group of supervisors trying to milk as much cash out of your company as possible.

* - "Other processing fees" comes out of your own pocket.

Old 2014-04-06, 18:57   Link #193
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennis007 View Post
Not having experience means that you are not tied down to a previous employers methods on how things are down but rather completely open to (potential employer) way of doing things.
I wish all employers had this outlook on things lol. Would've made my job hunt much easier.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 07:45   Link #194
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
You have to be very resourceful, or just dreaming.

To work overseas requires at least a good set of grades or 5 years of working experience, particularly at least 2 years in M/P roles, or 2-3 years of good KPI if you are getting your company to post you.

Asia is extremely competitive, salaries are low and management tend to hierachical, if not exploitative. They wouldn't want to hire a Westerner unless he know their local tongue or has an irresistable offer (money).

The only way I know how to get "special postings" is to go down straight to recruitment centres and ask directly as they are often masked behind the more ubiquitious job postings. 4/5 of the recruiters are retarded and won't be able to tell the difference between PRC & ROC/Cambodia & Vietnam/Sabah & Sarawak, but you just need to get that one to get a catalogue. However, as I said, most of the positions are largely faceitious and are plagued by low salaries - a factory liaision between Singapore and Vietnam earns around S$1.7K-$2.3 monthly even with living expenses paid for*, while dealing with a group of supervisors trying to milk as much cash out of your company as possible.

* - "Other processing fees" comes out of your own pocket.
Tricky, don't mind pay, but I really don't want to wait till I'm thirty before I do something like this.

Actually I was looking at Singapore recently, how does it compare? From what I can see there's a lot of English speakers, and a lot of English language job postings. I can take the low salary so long as I can pay expenses, which in Ireland is around 1000e a month, and I have savings to cover discretionary expenses.

Would Singapore be feasible? I don't mind a bad workplace, as my current one isn't great either(and it's part of the adventure).
Old 2014-04-07, 09:04   Link #195
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Tricky, don't mind pay, but I really don't want to wait till I'm thirty before I do something like this.

Actually I was looking at Singapore recently, how does it compare? From what I can see there's a lot of English speakers, and a lot of English language job postings. I can take the low salary so long as I can pay expenses, which in Ireland is around 1000e a month, and I have savings to cover discretionary expenses.

Would Singapore be feasible? I don't mind a bad workplace, as my current one isn't great either(and it's part of the adventure).
What are your grades like?

Old 2014-04-07, 12:35   Link #196
SummeryDreams

Why not try working online? If you're in a country with a low cost of living, earning online would be that of the greatest advantage.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 14:18   Link #197
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
What are your grades like?
Grades aren't amazing, but I am working in Intel(not for Intel though ) , am a team leader, and have good references. That count for anything?

From what I've seen there's good demand for labour (more then Ireland certainly). While multinationals will be picky, what about the smaller companies and contractors?
Old 2014-04-07, 19:55   Link #198
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Grades aren't amazing, but I am working in Intel(not for Intel though ) , am a team leader, and have good references. That count for anything?
Add more blush to it and I MIGHT be able to pull a few contacts.

Quote:
From what I've seen there's good demand for labour (more then Ireland certainly). While multinationals will be picky, what about the smaller companies and contractors?
Contractors in the East != contractors in the west. They are synonymous with temps, wages are low, etc.

At SMEs, they have an expectation that Westerners are expensive to hire, you don't even have to apply.

Old 2014-04-07, 21:59   Link #199
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Haha, this thread reminds me of my experience when applying for work in the UK. The manager asked me what set me apart from other interviewees, and I told him that well, since I am Asian, other Asians would feel comfortable? Lol, now that I think back, it's kinda embarrassing.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 02:58   Link #200
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Add more blush to it and I MIGHT be able to pull a few contacts.
I can talk a good game about autocad, lean manufacturing, etc. I know a lot about 3d modelling for construction. I'd like to get out of construction, though I don't mind doing more as a step to something else. Each member of my team produces about 100 engineering drawings a week, and I figured out how to do it.

Quote:
Contractors in the East != contractors in the west. They are synonymous with temps, wages are low, etc.
At SMEs, they have an expectation that Westerners are expensive to hire, you don't even have to apply.
Contractors aren't so great here either! I don't mind a low wage, so long as it's high enough for the visa(3300 s$ a month) and to live on. Otherwise I'm fine paying for my own flights etc. I'd like to be in a decent company though, get good experience etc.

Tags
careers, jobs