AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-05, 15:58   Link #1
Moonlith

Staying home + mischievous characters anime...

Yes I'm aware this request will be very awkward. Sorry

I've found I very much liked anime that have a strong "cozy home" kind of element in it... As in a 'base' of operations so to speak where most of the fun and retardism takes place for most of the anime, say 90%. A fun and preferably large place that you can get a bit familiar with in terms of layout. It could be an estate, a costly mansion, a large inn, etc.

An example is Love Hina, the large Hinata Inn, where (if memory serves me right) most of the time is spent in the anime.

Another, perhaps more ironic example, is Ouran High School, where most of it takes place (almost exclusively) in the Music Room and in general the large school.

Extra kudos for that matter if the 'inhabitants' are a rather large group with a variety of characters, again ouran high school and love hina as examples.

The other thing I'm looking for (preferably combined with the first request if possible) are mischievous characters... Characters who try to play a lot of tricks or pranks on others for the fun of it, and, preferably, things that would lead to embarassing and cute situations like these:

http://img152.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp..._123_454lo.jpg
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/4125/liru.jpg

Yes, odd examples I know, but you get the idea... Basicly situations where a character is cornered frequently, so to speak, or beaten down for being a total retard. Those situations are cute Tripple kudos if the prankster / trickster ends up cornered like such herself.

As might be obvious, I'm mostly looking for lighthearted or retarded animes Exaggerated violence such as in Dokuro-Chan and Love Hina is hilarious to me, Ouran's humor is great... Ecchi is always a good bonus, pretty characters are practicly a must, etc. But I'm pretty open to any suggestion that would meet one or both requests above.... Any tips?

P.S: Extra quadrupple kudos for outgoing extraverted characters with confident and fun personalities, not much a fan of insecure characters.
Old 2010-10-05, 16:14   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would recommend Summer Wars. One massive crazy family i would love to marry into. (It's in my sig)
Old 2010-10-05, 16:48   Link #3
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I'd definitely recommend Mahoraba: Heartful days it takes place generally at Narutakisou, an old style jap. apartment with certain characters who are a bit mischievous and it has about 7 characters who could be called main characters of the series.

Also maybe Working!! though the setting is almost always their work place it does give off that odd feeling and at least few of characters could be called "mischievous" and it also has a well sized cast. And the main character is often subjected to "Exaggerated violence" thanks to a certain other character .
MAL
Old 2010-10-05, 17:52   Link #4
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'll second the fantastic Mahoraba: Heartful days, and recommend Kanamemo.
Old 2010-10-06, 00:37   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Thirding Mahoraba - this is a perfect fit.
Old 2010-10-06, 03:12   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I will echo Summer Wars. An eccentric bunch they are, and they do remind me of my own family in many ways.
Old 2010-10-06, 07:56   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlith View Post
The other thing I'm looking for (preferably combined with the first request if possible) are mischievous characters...
There's a lot of that in the first half of Dennou Coil, after which it takes a darker and more serious turn. I bet you'll keep watching anyway because this show is just so damn good.

These kids aren't very home-bound, though. They're a brave and plucky lot who think nothing of traipsing around their small city in pursuit of fun and mystery.
Old 2010-10-06, 09:40   Link #8
Coruja

You'll probably love Minami-ke, it fits your request. It's cute, funny and homely.
Old 2010-10-06, 10:37   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I assume you've seen Haruhi Suzumiya.

Maiosn Ikkoku has a bunch of pranks played in the early seasons before the romance starts to take center stage. And it has a very "homey" feel to it. In fact Maison Ikkoku is pretty clearly the inspiration for Love Hina. Try a couple episodes out and see if you like it.

Mitsudome has a lot of pranks and such going on.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-10-07, 17:49   Link #10
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

I second WORKING!! and Mahoraba.

I recommend Arakawa Under the Bridge and Seitokai no Ichizon, both of which take place in one location and are both hilarious with touching moments at times.

I also think Haibane Renmei fits the first condition, although the character there aren't really mischievous and the show has more of a slow-moving, soft, and mysterious tone to it. K-ON!! and Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu are ones you've probably already seen, but just throwing them out there if you haven't.
Old 2010-10-07, 21:14   Link #11
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

Definitely Minami-Ke

also try Ichigo Mashimaro
Shiro
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
Currently Doing:
Currently Hidden in depths of Chireiden

Old 2010-10-07, 21:16   Link #12