AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-04, 07:35   Link #1
Aesthetic Shampoo

I want to feel

Anyone have recommendations for good anime/manga? And i mean really good. I don't care what genre it is, as long as i feel something. I want to laugh. I want to cry. I want to jump. I want to scream out 'HOLY MOTHER $%#(#*%'. No crappy bland ones with only pictures on the screen, which i read/watch for the sake of saying I've read/watched it.
Thank you.
Old 2010-11-04, 07:59   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

This is pretty difficult request since we don't know where your tatses lie and what makes you emtional. Do you mind giving us some examples of what has succeded and what hasn't?

Anyway, I recommend 5 Centimeters Per Second.
Old 2010-11-04, 08:21   Link #3
Coruja

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 made me weep like a little baby (esp. the last episode), and I rarely cry.
Old 2010-11-04, 08:26   Link #4
Aesthetic Shampoo

I'm taking anything, but if i had to be more specific I'd go with romance (some comedy in it would be nice, but not a must) or action with an actual plot. As for examples, Ichigo 100%, Ga-Rei Zero, 5cm per second and TWGOK (manga) would be some of the best I've seen. I would've listed more, but i can't remember them all right now. The average ones would be the usual; Naruto, one Piece, Fairy Tail etc. And the truly horrible... Shaman King, Rave master, D. Gray man. I've still read all of them of course xD
And I was going to watch Grave of Fireflies because i heard it was a real tearjerker.
Old 2010-11-04, 08:38   Link #5
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Go with Grave of the Fireflies. I also recommend Kara no Kyoukai.

Oh yeah, and Summer Wars (in my sig).

Last edited by Haak; 2010-11-04 at 10:20.
Old 2010-11-04, 09:13   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
This is pretty difficult request since we don't know where your tatses lie and what makes you emtional. Do you mind giving us some examples of what has succeded and what hasn't?

This. And also Seirei no Moribito and Natsume Yuujinchou. Both will make you feel in a big way.
Old 2010-11-04, 09:29   Link #7
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Record of a fallen vampire
Fairy Tail
Air Gear
Beelzebub
Gintama
Defense Devil
Until death do us part
GTO
Bleach

A variety of drama, mystery, romance, sports, fantasy, school life and action manga (some of which got an anime too), Bleach will definitely make you feel something...even if it's pure hatred xD

Last edited by Kafriel; 2010-11-04 at 11:02.
Old 2010-11-04, 10:16   Link #8
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'll second that! It's a great movie and it will send you through all of your emotions by the time it's over.

You might also want to check out Summer Wars, it's another great well-rounded movie in terms of emotions.
Old 2010-11-04, 21:55   Link #9
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

For tearjerkers, I'd recommend the masterpiece CLANNAD, its second season CLANNAD ~After Story~, AIR, and Kanon 2006. Basically, the famous Key trio, and also Angel Beats! because it was written by Key too. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 will also leave you in a sobbing mess at the end, and 5 Centimeters Per Second is also pretty powerful.

For oh-my-god beyond epic action, I recommend Black Lagoon (english dub preferred), CANAAN, Kara no Kyoukai, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and Code Geass.

If you're in a comedy mood, I recommend Seitokai no Ichizon, Arakawa Under the Bridge, Azumanga Daioh, Ouran High School Host Club, and WORKING!!.

If you want a great murder mystery series, then Higurashi no Naku Koro ni's story paired with its second season is excellent. I'd also say Umineko no Naku Koro ni but the anime is literally nothing compared to the strength of the writing, the excellent music, and the sheer atmosphere the games manage to create even with minimal effects and its art.

For more masterpiece level series that don't really fit into the categories above, I'd recommend Dennou Coil, Wolf's Rain, Baccano! (english dub preferred), Durarara!!, and Higashi no Eden.

Also, I'll throw in Macross Frontier for its epic soundtrack just for good measure.
Old 2010-11-04, 23:25   Link #10
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

No FMA? due to it's popularity I think you watched Full Metal Alchemist already if it isn't, it's worth a try (I mean the Brotherhood version)

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi is a combination of comedy + action/martial arts and it's one of the best ongoing manga out there and also there's an anime version of it, another worth trying if I am you.

Chrno Crusade and Tsukihime are also nice IMO
Shiro
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
Currently Doing:
Currently Hidden in depths of Chireiden

Old 2010-11-05, 00:40   Link #11
cerrian

Higashi no Eden - I'll second this. There were a number of shocking scenes that literally set the forums on fire.

Skip Beat - This is a great one for some hearty laughs. The anime follows pretty closely to the manga, but I'd recommend the anime first because the voice acting and sound effects really raised Skip Beat to a higher level.
Old 2010-11-05, 06:38   Link #12
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I'll add White Album to fill the romance category more.
Old 2010-11-06, 22:18   Link #13
coderlan
Student

You would surely love Ane Doki in your romance category. Truly astonishing and may be one of what you're seeking
Old 2010-11-06, 22:57   Link #14
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnythesun View Post
I want to scream out 'HOLY MOTHER $%#(#*%'.
School Days
For you to have that "Holy mother ..." sort of experience, You will have to watch it all the way through. until the end. It's only 12 episodes so it's not terribly long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnythesun View Post
I want to cry.
Clannad
It's really only the second season Clannad ~After Story~ that makes most people cry. But to really enjoy it, you should watch the first season.
It also has quite a few of those funny parts you where looking for.
Old 2010-11-07, 03:29   Link #15
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Did they already mentioned CLANNAD?? hehehe, add Oh My Goddess, I mean not only the series but the OVAs and the Movie. They gots line that makes you laugh and cry..
Old 2010-11-07, 11:12   Link #16
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmmm, anime that makes you feel?

Drama:
Clannad and Clannad After Story for sure.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (If you haven't already seen it).
Cross Game
Maison Ikkoku (It's slow, especially during the early seasons, but trust me the pay off is well worth it. Rewatched it 4 times already.)
Whisper of the Heart
Kimi Ni Todoke (The sweetness! So innocent.)
H2 (the manga)
Otaku no Musume-san (manga)
Big Windup (a terrific baseball bromance)
Honey and Clover
Starblazers (20 years later I still remember the "call home" scenes.)
Mirai Nikki (manga)
Fullmetal Alchemist (the first anime)
Chrono Crusade
Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid (You'll need to watch the first season to get what is going on, but The Second Raid has some pretty intense feelings.)

And if you want something that makes you feel, but on a more subtle level: Crest of the Stars

Comedy (comedy is harder to recommend since everyone laughs at different things):

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (especially the first episode).
Hayate the Combat Butler
Baka to Test
B Gata H Kei

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-11-09, 04:53   Link #17
Aesthetic Shampoo

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll look into all of them sometime. I'm a bit concerned that the thread will be deleted though, so do I have to write all of those down?

Last edited by Aesthetic Shampoo; 2010-11-10 at 02:08.
Old 2010-11-10, 03:40   Link #18
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

No, it won't get deleted. We have suggestion threads that are several years old.
Closed Thread