AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 34 26.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 53 40.77%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 22.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 6.92%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.77%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-19, 14:49   Link #41
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I have seen 2002 version, and Shiori's arc is the one I remember the most, far in the details. So the happenings of this episode regarding Shiori left me sad, especially on the final revelation, but not shocked or depressed, since I remembered this part fairly well.
I wish I'd be a first-time viewer to enjoy the impact of this story on me... I've said Shiori is my favourite Kanon girl, right ?

As expected, we've seen again Mai and Sayuri, though that "I should come out of the hospital for spring" said by Mai makes me wonder on how much we'll see the two of them in the future. (pure speculation here). Curious as the "girls of the obento" have become the "girls hospitalized" in the everyday routine. Well, anyway it's up to KyoAni now.

Nice focus on Ayu's personality. How she panicked for a simple cold was done really well. And then, for a Shiori admirer like me... the second part was obviously amazing, from the first to the last second.

This episode is a 9 though, saving the tens for later.
Old 2007-01-19, 14:49   Link #42
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Just a note. Was it just me, or did Nayuki sound a little bit wierd when she said "Arigato" near the begining of the episode?
You made the same observation as I did, I have wrote about it in the thread for "Experienced Kanon people", but I'll post it here as well as it doesn't seem to constitute a spoiler. Nayuki certainly looked a bit lonely, with Yuuichi going off to see Mai and Sayuri, and bringing Ayu along as well, while leaving her behind.
Old 2007-01-19, 15:03   Link #43
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Now now, it would be rather morbid a thought if all the cast get together at the hospital wouldn't it?

People have already commented on Nayuki giving a Kaede vibe. Seeing Nayuki like that, instead of her sleepy mode does make people worry...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2007-01-19, 15:34   Link #44
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post

People have already commented on Nayuki giving a Kaede vibe.
And the vibe keeps getting stronger....

Good episode, it seemed a little lack-luster after the amazing episode preceding it, but none-the-less warrants a 9/10, imho.
Old 2007-01-19, 15:40   Link #45
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I just notice what Mai said about the beginning. I think she hinting about Ayu's past no?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-01-19, 16:08   Link #46
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Ep 16
Wow, what a short episode. It was just Akiko getting sick and a cute date.

I was bombared with Ayu and Nayu story hints. Aaand funny quotes! "You're not a fox or a raccoon".

I absolutely loved Kaori's scene; the snow, the lighting, the BGM and the crying. It made my heart ache... Here's hoping that the beautiful lady Shiori will stay alive.
Old 2007-01-19, 16:41   Link #47
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
Aaand funny quotes! "You're not a fox or a raccoon".
and at that time shiori would be thinking "no...something much much worse" *shiver* >.<

and it may just be me but im hardly feeling any kaede vibes from Nayuki O.o but i could think of a few bombs that could act as a trigger...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-01-19, 16:58   Link #48
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

It might sound strange, but I was actually far more impressed with this episode than with the previous "action-oriented" ones from the past couple of weeks. For one thing, the screenplay and acting were simply incredible. It's almost as if every scene in this episode counted as one of those "memorable moments". The final scene with Kaori was beautiful, the long buildup gave the scene a far more dramatic feel that really had a powerful effect on me.

Also, with this, it seems like that Newtype preview of episode 16~19 I translated back here is accurate. At this rate, Shiori's route will end on... episode 18? *sigh* They go by so fast...

Oh yeah, highlight of the week:

"Uguu~!"
Old 2007-01-19, 17:04   Link #49
Richard 23
piko piko pikori

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
U1's "uguu~" got me quite a laugh.

For those who wonder about the OP (Last regrets) remix, it's called Last regrets -X'mas floor style-, performed by Shimamiya Eiko (not Ayana). You can find that song in the album I’ve Girls Compilation vol.1 "regret", track 13. I believe this is so far the first track used in this series that's from an album not released under Key Sounds Label.
Same vocalist as for the OP of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni then, right?
Old 2007-01-19, 17:18   Link #50
Kisuke06
I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
Oh yeah, highlight of the week:

"Uguu~!"
Indeed, that scene is gold!

Damn, first Makoto and now Shiori? *sad*
Old 2007-01-19, 17:40   Link #51
Richard 23
piko piko pikori

Forgot to mention that Shiori may have slow reflexes at the arcade, she sure did throw a mean snowball. It was nice of Yuuichi to miss on purpose (I'm assuming he did anyway).

Shiori throws like a girl! (joke, don't flame me).

And will Shiori's portrait of Yuuichi remain a mystery like the contents of Akkiko's jam? Did it happen in the game and was there a CG of it? I liked Misuzu's drawings (map) shown in Air. Those were pretty funny.
Old 2007-01-19, 17:48   Link #52
Meophist

I feel that there is something entirely "off" about Nayuki in this episode. I can't quite place it, but it seems like it's more than just being worried about Yuuichi.

Edit: @Richard 23: They might hold it back and show it later to highten its impact. This would be similar to what they did with the photobooth photo in Makoto's arc.

Last edited by Meophist; 2007-01-19 at 18:02.
Old 2007-01-19, 18:12   Link #53
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

The Good: The date, Kaori's breakdown, Ayu Panicking.
The Bad: Akiko is having some problems (is Ayu really overreacting?), and Nayuki is up to something which may or may not involve some very selfish motives and tears on the part of one or more of her rivals. More good times.
The Ugly: Mai: "I'll have to stay in the hospital for a while [so I won't get in the way of the other girls' archs, now that mine's done]. Also, my powers probably won't come back for a while [so I won't be able to help Shiori at all]. Come on, guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
I feel that there is something entirely "off" about Nayuki in this episode. I can't quite place it, but it seems like it's more than just being worried about Yuuichi.
Nayuki has been feeling increasingly more "off" since the beginning. She's up to something. but I can't quite put my finger on what. I'm actually trusting her less than Ayu now, as now it seems that Ayu has been lying for the same reason Shiori has (to spare the sympathy).
Old 2007-01-19, 18:32   Link #54
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quite a lot of truths revelaed in this episode i must say This one was literally packed with hints and revalations.

Shiori has a fatal illness... i can't say i am surprised - this is something i expected from the very start. What did surprise me though - the fact that she has less than a week to live 0_o ... and i was certainly not expecting this declared in the first Shiori focused episode. I think this will be one heck of a trainwreck as far as emotions are concerned.

So Mai and Sayuri have to stay in the hospital for a while... a way to make sure they don't steal the screentime of other girls Tho Mai "loosing" her powers for a while is really convinient, isn't it? Not only must she stay off-screen, but she is also stripped of her power for a while - meaning she won't be able to help Shiori.... quite handy i must say. I am pretty sure Shiori won't make it

Mai's comment about Ayu... and the nurse seemingly recognized her... more hints about Ayu. Now i am almost certain she is some sort of ghost

Shiori... she is made of pure cute The scene where Yuuichi was throwing snowballs at her was one of the cutest things ever. I grinned like an idiot trough it.

"i prefer quantity over quality" made me laugh Obviously Yuuichi was missing on purpouse. He keeps earning points in my book - he truly is a nice guy... save for his ignorance towards Nayuki... i do wonder how he manages to miss her growing ... saddness(for the lack of a better term). Makes me wonder, because he seems quite sharp.

I have waited for ages for Shiori arc to start... i can't wait to see more of it.
Old 2007-01-19, 18:38   Link #55
Meophist

Nayuki seems sincere to me. I think what Nayuki is feeling is subliminal in any case.

This episode kinda got me thinking, this is all fictional, right? Or is there something the story is based on?
Old 2007-01-19, 18:38   Link #56
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard 23 View Post
Same vocalist as for the OP of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni then, right?
Yep, that's her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard 23 View Post
And will Shiori's portrait of Yuuichi remain a mystery like the contents of Akkiko's jam? Did it happen in the game and was there a CG of it? I liked Misuzu's drawings (map) shown in Air. Those were pretty funny.
There's no CG of U1's portrait in game, so the chance of it remaining as a mystery will be pretty high, unless KyoAni "draws" one out of their own creation.
Old 2007-01-19, 19:03   Link #57
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Fantastic episode. I've always held the Shiori arc highly in Kanon narrative, mostly because she's one of my favourite characters, but moreso because the focus is on a sister-sister relationship than a progression of a plot. It also helps that both Shiori and Kaori are very difficult not to like (though for different reasons). The Kaori outburst in particular was one of the highlights of the episode. I love it when characters like that, who are usually cool and in control, show a human side and get emotional. That's the mark of a well rounded side character.

Two other highlights in the ep for me. The first was that moment in the hospital which very subtly showed a profound change in the way Mai carries herself after the events in her arc. She showed an ability to look back at things and reflect in a way that I'd argue she wouldn't have been able to do before her arc. I think it might have been better done at the end of last episode, but it was done... and it was done at a time when Mai was still in our memories so I can't really fault anyone for slightly-poor time management there. I did find it slightly humourous that she conveniently wrote herself out of the the story,
Spoiler for Very subtle spoiler:

The other scene I really liked was the one between Ayu and Akiko. It's obvious why Ayu is so worried about Akiko and wants to go out of her way to care for her, but I do find it interesting that KyoAni took the time to show that the strength of the bond between Ayu and Akiko was mutual, after Akiko sorta shunned Makoto (I'm talking relative here, compared with the Toei series where the mother-daughter bond between Akiko and Makoto was really highlighted). I mean, there's no question that, if Yuuichi is the father figure in the story, then Akiko is the mother figure... to at least three of the girls anyway. I know I'm harping on events gone by here, but I'm still ruing that KyoAni didn't take the time to really stress the depth of the relationship between Akiko and Makoto. It's one of the few things that the Toei version did better than this version. But it is good to see that this isn't the case with Akiko and Ayu. Maybe KyoAni are playing favourites.

I've noticed an ongoing flaw in Kanon though. The music. There's nothing wrong with the music itself, or the choice of BGM in each scene... it's the choice of where the song begins and cuts out to match the action in the scene which is flawed. Minor, minor flaw, I know, but there are a number of scenes where songs are cut, shortened, mixed, etc so that they end just as scene ends, which obviously isn't anything new to anime, but for some reason I'm finding it a tad jarring here. On the topic of music, the insert song was about the first time I heard a remix of "Last Regrets" that I didn't like.

One of the best eps in the series to date, IMO.
Old 2007-01-19, 21:01   Link #58
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

And yet again I'm the first to notice an obscure fact which KyoAni squeeze in in this episode.

The forgotten 6th Girl.
Old 2007-01-19, 21:38   Link #59
M L Monster
三尉

Is that pic for real?

I swear that girl is from "ONE"
Old 2007-01-19, 21:40   Link #60
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

"Nanase Rumi"?

Clarification required:
Who is she?
Why is she forgotten?
Where did they slip her in?
Are all these girls "dreaming of eternal promises"?
Closed Thread