Notices

Old 2013-05-13, 20:05   Link #21
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
The Aztecs revel in sacrifices, and slavery was an important part of the world economy in ancient times. So yes, people do excuse things based on culture.
That doesn't make it right.
Old 2013-05-13, 20:06   Link #22
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

To you, of course, that's why it's called bias. To them living at the time, it was the norm.
Old 2013-05-13, 20:27   Link #23
Kirarakim

Arranged marriage does not equate to slavery, so comparing them seems really weird.

Yes some arranged marriages are forced and I am against that too but this is not true for all of them.
Old 2013-05-13, 22:53   Link #24
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Arranged marriage does not equate to slavery, so comparing them seems really weird.

Yes some arranged marriages are forced and I am against that too but this is not true for all of them.
That made me think: Are Forced marriages the same as Fixed Marriages?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 23:24   Link #25
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The social environment is irrelevant. Slavery is not okay; we don't excuse enslaving people based on culture. Neither do we excuse murder. Arranged marriage is simply another form of slavery, so why do we consider it okay? We shouldn't.
What is slavery to you?

Lemme give you two case of arranged marriage.
1. Both side meet for an arrange marriage. They introduce both of the one the want to arrange (i'll call it A and B). A and B finally introduced each other. If one of them is not ok, then the arrangement broke. Both party continue to search again until they meet the right one.

2. One family decide to arrange marriage for their daugther to another man. If the "mas kawin" or "conditions" fits, then the daugther become the wife of that man.

Is both of this kind of arrange marriage case categorized into slavery?
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 23:26   Link #26
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Daddy dearest of some social, economic or political note forces (yes, forces) his daughter to marry some cockheel for political, social or economic gain. If she refuses, Bad Things happen.

What if she doesn't love him? Hell, what if she doesn't even like him? What if he's a douchenozzle and kicks puppies? Heaven fucking forbid, what if she's a lesbian?

The concept of marriage in general is moronic, but forcing someone into a marriage against their will so that Daddy-dearest can benefit in some tangible way is just... no.

No. Just no.

Edit: Your #1 is... just regular matchmaking with some family-oriented fluff around it. That's... not at all what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a man forcing his daughter to marry someone for his own personal gain.
Old 2013-05-13, 23:39   Link #27
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
The concept of marriage in general is moronic,
Hohoho.. this will be a rage to the millions of married couples in the whole world...
Old 2013-05-13, 23:43   Link #28
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Yes. So I think the word "Arranged Marriage" is too broad...

My first case is simply a matchmaking-type of arranged marriage. And it is still a common practice in the eastern asia.

The second case is a forced arranged marriage. Usually due to political, wealth, and relation issues. This has been observed and done since thousands years ago. This is what I think categorized as slavery because it is done without the consent of both husband and wife.

Quote:
The concept of marriage in general is moronic
Please dont say something that has been practice for thousands of years as moronic.
You are being rude to your parent, your grandparents, and your ancestors.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 23:50   Link #29
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Tons of things that have been in practice for millennia are dumb. "Tradition" is not an exemption from criticism.

To clarify, I feel marriage is an outdated concept that needs to be properly updated for the modern world and the modern human.

Edit: This is getting WAY off-topic and should probably be split off in its own thread in General.
Old 2013-05-13, 23:54   Link #30
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Tons of things that have been in practice for millennia are dumb. "Tradition" is not an exemption from criticism.

To clarify, I feel marriage is an outdated concept that needs to be properly updated for the modern world and the modern human.

Edit: This is getting WAY off-topic and should probably be split off in its own thread in General.
I agree because this needs explanation.

Quote:
Old 2013-05-14, 01:05   Link #31
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Read the full definition:
Of course I read the full definition. Good grief, man, give me more credit than that.

You missed the importance of the "especially".

Here's the sentence "a particular tendency or inclination, especially one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question; prejudice." (bold emphasis mine)

The "especially" means that everything that comes after that term is "especially" biased (i.e. very biased), but also that bias can exist even without what comes after the "especially". Which is why I removed what came after the especially when I quoted the line before.

If I wrote "This flooring is slippery, especially when wet", am I saying that the flooring is slippery only when it's wet? No, of course not. It just means it's very slippery when wet.

Some biases are stronger and more harmful than others. Some other biases are mild and perfectly fine.

A bias is simply a particular tendency or inclination. Everybody has their biases, and nobody is completely biased-free.

Anybody who seriously thinks that they have no biases at all is frankly one of the most biased people of all because they refuse to admit to their own biases.

Differing people having different personal preferences is what gives distinctiveness and flavor to human society. That's something I'm glad about.

Quote:

The concept of marriage in general is moronic,
No, it's not. I personally know of many very happy married couples, including that of my parents and dozens of Aunts and Uncles.

For millions upon millions of people, being in a life-long marriage contributes greatly to their sense of belonging, their sense of self, their sense of family, and their overall degree of happiness in life. To argue that such a thing is "moronic" strikes me as a frankly very silly argument.

The concept of marriage being for everyone is not a good concept, but marriage is a perfectly functional and beneficial concept/institution for millions upon millions of people.
Old 2013-05-14, 01:12   Link #32
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Marriage should be a choice wholly by option. Something which has the modern Western definition of marriage to anyone you please and the Mideast definition of any age.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 01:29   Link #33
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I'm talking about the legal concept of marriage... sigh...

Apologies if I've been unclear, but the legal concept of marriage is unfairly discriminatory to the single person and the unmarriageable gay couple, and favors the heteronormative couple unit. Married couples receive tax breaks and various legal powers and rights that an unmarried couple or a gay couple in a state without legal gay marriage cannot receive.

The emotional concept of marriage? I quite like it. I think weddings themselves are amazing fun and I actually squee every time I think about or daydream about my own wedding.
Old 2013-05-14, 01:32   Link #34
Sumeragi
Banned

I'll just simply say: As long as those who are in the arranged marriage promise have the right to refuse, I don't see the problem.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 01:33   Link #35
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I'll just simply say: As long as those who are in the arranged marriage promise have the right to refuse, I don't see the problem.
Agreed wholeheartedly. If the involved parties of the marriage have unconditional power of refusal, that's totally fine.
Old 2013-05-14, 01:35   Link #36
Sumeragi
Banned

It's funny how my engagement was semi-based on a half-serious arrangement between grandparents.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 01:46   Link #37
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
It's funny how my engagement was semi-based on a half-serious arrangement between grandparents.
I am glad I did not accept an offer of marriage from a LDR - her girl was a closet fujoshi.

It is a terrifying prospect when the ones arranging it are serious.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-14, 01:50   Link #38
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Of course I read the full definition. Good grief, man, give me more credit than that.
Hahaha, I lol'd.

I agree with all those who are opposed to arranged marriages. The main exception would be if I was forced to marry a hot girl with big boobs, then an arranged marriage would be perfectly fine.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 02:07   Link #39
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I think pretty much any guy would be okay with that. >________>;
Old 2013-05-14, 02:09   Link #40
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I think pretty much any guy would be okay with that. >________>;
Except for far-sighted guys and those with good taste. I don't want saggy sacks of fat when we are both old.

In fact I would prefer someone who looks like a 12-year-old throughout her entire life.