AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-12-24, 14:57   Link #1
luckybummy

Exclamation Hey.. I can't seem to access this one site

www.soompi.com/forums

I really don't think that there's anything wrong w/ the site. Just something wrong w/ my computer..

First of all, I would like to point out that I'm a computer illiterate. I know SOOO Little about computers so.. don't get too technical please.. because I won't know what you're talking about..

So okay.. Here's the story.. Everytime I try accessing www.soompi.com/forums the page displays the dns error page.

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

And when the page is still loading.., this url shortly flashes on my status bar...

"www.badurl.grandstreetinteractive...... so on.. and blah"

I looked it up.. and it turned out to be some virus. =_= But everything else seems fine on my computer except for that one site I can't access.. which is soompi.

So I've tried a few scans on spysweeper.. but I don't think it got rid of it yet..

When I asked my cousin for help, (I didn't tell him anything about the virus that my computer might have).. he said that I should probably diable the firewall protection thingy on my computer.. BUt I don't even know where that is.. I use Windows Me. =_=

What should I do?

Suggestions/comments/questions/answers will be appreciateddd. Thx for reading!
luckybummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 03:44   Link #2
RichMan
????

go here getfirefox.com

download Mozilla FireFox.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 08:07   Link #3
luckybummy

Hey thx for replying =D

I've actually tried to adjust the browser settings.. I've tried netscape and firebox.. both displayed this:

the operation timed out when attempting to contact www.soompi.com

Old 2004-12-28, 20:12   Link #4
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
It works fine in internet explorer. Did you try using this program yet?
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 22:26   Link #5
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Check your proxy settings. Also, check your dns and host files

Proxy server:
IE: Tools menu: Internet Options|Connections | Lan Settings.
-> typical should be blank

Host file
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
hosts:
It should have no entires except for 127.0.0.1 unlesss you specificlly modified it. (Spybot also edits it to make most common adware sites to 127.0.0.1 )
If you see any entries other than 127.0.0.1 then get Spybot - most likely that you have a hijacked system.

DNS:
some ISPs DNS does not update. Since the site is pretty old, this is rarely an issue.
from teh command line, ping www.soompi.com and it should return you the ping time.
c:\ping www.soompi.com

Run nslookup
The result should be

Name: www.soompi.com
Address: 67.19.42.164
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-30, 19:09   Link #6
Epenyne

Exclamation Is PBXanime dead?

So, I'm new here, as you all can see... And I have a question, is PBXanime.com dead? Is it going to come back? What's goin' on? Okay, that's not A question, that's a few questions... Ah, anyway, I'm getting off track... Yeah, so, does anybody know?

Heh.
Epenyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-30, 19:47   Link #7
wnkryo
HainShodan

never heard of that site.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-30, 21:09   Link #8
???
Unknown

-If it's a bittorent site, well that's sad

-If its another one of those DBZ fan site well im glad is dead and i hope it got hacked.
??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-30, 21:20   Link #9
luckybummy

Hey. Thx for taking your time to answer my post ^_^

I understood and followed you up to the point where you said something about host files. When I went into my System 32 folder.. I didn't see host file. >.<;; Is it because I use Windows Me?
Old 2004-12-30, 21:23   Link #10
Epenyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
-If it's a bittorent site, well that's sad

-If its another one of those DBZ fan site well im glad is dead and i hope it got hacked.
Ugh, it is NOT a DBZ fan site. It's a website with an awesome anime forum, some torrents, and the biggest image gallery in the world.
Epenyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-30, 21:24   Link #11
Thelastguardian

You joined AS just to ask us that?
Old 2004-12-30, 22:53   Link #12
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well it looks to me like a routing issue. From what I can tell, either the hosting company that they're with either went belly up, their main backbone line is down, or they've been null routed for some reason. I'm voting #1 or 2 actually because the route to their site sucks about 3/4 of the way there and the authdns servers are completely unreachable. All of them of what I tested. So I'd say that they're definately down for a while.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-30, 23:51   Link #13
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckybummy
I understood and followed you up to the point where you said something about host files. When I went into my System 32 folder.. I didn't see host file. >.<;; Is it because I use Windows Me?
WinME hosts file is located at c:\windows\hosts

Last edited by xris; 2004-12-31 at 03:30.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 15:05   Link #14
luckybummy

Ahh.. >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
WinME hosts file is located at c:\windows\hosts
Thx for replying again.. I found it but.. it's labeled as a SAM file.. and I can't open it... When I click it, it asks me to choose the program I want to open it with..

To Lord Raiden: Eh.. Um. I have no idea what you're talking about. ^_^a I'm sorry..

To MyLastGuardian: Well... at first... Yes. ^_^ But it's not the only reason now cause' I actually enjoy perusing the latest threads about anime/manga info..

To Epenyne: Personally, I can't access your forum.. but you shouldn't really take that into account because I'm the one w/ muchos problems heree.. @_@