AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Old 2011-04-17, 17:50   Link #761
karuroso

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF awesome yuri delusion omg if only this series was a yuri revolving a triangle betewen Ohana x Nako x Minchi i.i if only... *go cries in a corner*

and wet Nako is so damn hawt
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 18:00   Link #762
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i actually thought this ep was pretty strong. it had a mix of elements that were placed together really really well. plus the yuri scene was amazing. haha.

the message from Ko came at a good moment i think. it came when she was actually tested, and had just finished reading what Minko wrote about her. plus her explanation about how she values every text from him now was fitting with the evening (cause reading cellphone messages in the dark make them that much better) and he wished her luck with her desire to be better.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 18:03   Link #763
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Spoiler for ep03:

Having said all of that, this episode was a bit weak compared to the last two. But that's a fairly high bar.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 18:03   Link #764
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
*reads complains*
Uh— have I missed something

But it was service episode, it’s not like I was expecting anything resembling plot;

Frankly that was a tad too silly and illogical, even for a service episode.
*rings a bell*
Didn't miss anything, it seems, since those are the two major reasons there are complaints.

*looks aside*
I had a bad feeling when they announced it was 2-cour. Heck, I think I predicted (posted that) this type of episode would happen because there were too many episodes.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 18:08   Link #765
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

the point of a slice of life show is that every episode can be standalone and self contained. the first few eps are usually an exception because they need to develop the plot. even a "coming of age" classification can put it along the same path. every episode just needs to have examples that develop character. this show will probably not be a story driven show. if you're expecting that, you'll probably be let down. it will most likely be a character driven show.

its like Aria. you can watch any episode from any season except the first few of The Animation and the last few of Origination and it'll won't matter what order you watch it in, because it'll still make sense. that's the beauty of a character driven show.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2011-04-17 at 18:28.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 18:11   Link #766
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Forgot to add: Can we nominate this episode for Worst "High-Speed" Car Chase of the Year? Complete with adhering to traffic signals?
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 18:28   Link #767
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Two episodes were very much grounded in reality and the third one was quite melodramatic because of the novelist. Still, it's nothing for me to complain about. I was quite amused to see the novelist acts completely like Satou Tatsuhiro, jumping to conclusion, erratic and quite paranoid, even threatening to kill himself on the cliff.

I do have to say in the terms of plot, it's a barebone, still you get to know more about the other characters. It was interesting. The whole series is intriguing as it is depicted almost realistically, yet the main character acts so maturely, it's hard to look at her as teenager girl. Especially in the 3rd episode, she had that much insight to provide a solution to this episode. In fact, the one who acted like a teenager the most were that Minchi girl at least from my observation.

Last edited by Soliloquy; 2011-04-17 at 18:59.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 18:56   Link #768
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I liked ep3. They just advanced the character in a slightly (but only slightly) different way. Now we know that Ohana has a special personality, full of energy, determination, and positivity, that she can help others, and that her grandmother knows it.

I knew at the end of the previous episode that there would be some comic way of escaping the clearly non-dangerous predator. It always baffles me when people want total realism in the fantasy medium of anime. Ohana's calm dealing with the situation is to be taken as showing her strength and ability, and her compassion.

Now, I myself do not like to see bondage, and wish they had found some other way to do this. But that's just a personal preference, and I think the sequence works.

Even Shakespeare's tragedies mix serious and comic scenes. There, it is not thought of as spoiling the mood, but as providing emotional variety for the audience.

As far as I am concerned, this show is maintaining its high standards so far.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 19:15   Link #769
ApostleOfGod
^.^

i have a question for anyone to answer

that line spoken during ep 3 by granny

Spoiler for ep3:

ive googled it, found that its in like some old scottish text

can anyone give me a straightforward / simple explanation as to what that meant

or if not just translate it for me in a different format, that idiom/statement or watever u want to call it is a bit confusing for me :s

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuroso View Post
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF awesome yuri delusion omg if only this series was a yuri revolving a triangle betewen Ohana x Nako x Minchi i.i if only... *go cries in a corner*

and wet Nako is so damn hawt
LOL +1

when nako says minchi theres a shiver that runs right down my spine

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 19:20   Link #770
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I thought it was a good episode. It's very amusing that the author wasn't what we initially thought. I like how they set it up. And we got a bit of character development from Ohana, Minko (made a true effort to stop saying "Die" because it was too harsh), Nako, and even the Grandmother I think.

Can't wait for next weekend's episode.
Old 2011-04-17, 19:23   Link #771
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
*rings a bell*
Didn't miss anything, it seems, since those are the two major reasons there are complaints.

*looks aside*
I had a bad feeling when they announced it was 2-cour. Heck, I think I predicted (posted that) this type of episode would happen because there were too many episodes.
Cross Game had 50 eps yet I don't remember it having a out of place ep heck even the filler eps were surprisingly good. The writer of the anime did a great job making sure those filler eps were align in tone with the non filler eps. Anyways just hope there aren't any more out of place eps like ep 3.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 20:24   Link #772
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
i have a question for anyone to answer. that line spoken during ep 3 by granny..."Sticking is not by strength but by the guiding of the gully" the scene is directly after granny is doing that traditional memorial to her husband speaking about how Ohana is the splitting image of satsuki (presumably her daughter and ohanas mom), and that beanman guy or whatever he is comes in....
The sub's translation is apparently totally wrong. Here is what she says and its meaning, from an online dictionary:

馬鹿と鋏は使い様 【ばかとはさみはつかいよう】 (exp) (id) Everything comes in handy when rightly used

That actually makes sense.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 20:34   Link #773
destiny4everlove

Episode 3

Spoiler:

Thank you so much for my beautiful avy and my amazing sig, TheEroKing!!!
destiny4everlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 20:59   Link #774
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

When I saw the episode title, I thought Ohana was going to pull a switcheroo on Minko and serve her balut instead of spinach since surely Minko wouldn't be so naive as to actually tell Ohana what her least favorite dish was...but no, "balut" is simply Minko's new insulting term for Ohana? Wut? Some very mild mannered girls here.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 21:09   Link #775
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Aside from the "sudden mood shift" [which, in my opinion, is somewhat exaggerated], my problem with the episode is that it seemed more self-contained than every other episode. They spent a lot of time on this episode building up to a scene which wasn't that great, as opposed to the previous episodes where most of the episodes was spent developing the narrative.

I can understand that, with 26 episodes, it'll be hard to have constant plot going on and on [and it's possible that they were trying to keep things lighthearted for that reason], but not only was the episode standalone aside from small bits of development, it wasn't that interesting either. It was still a good episode, but not to the standards of the previous two.

Well, I'm still looking forward to the next episode. I have no idea what's going to happen though, other than them going to school, because of this episode.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 21:17   Link #776
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Awesome, so awesome. The conclusion of it all, him not being a big shot, at all, and how even though it came down to Ohana in the end, it wasn't focused solely on her. And Kouichi's text was nice, good to see he isn't dropped from the equation entirely.

I really didn't think we'd get any service in this series, but boy did they deliver this time. I think it was the best this season.

The feel of this episode was definitely different, but it was the conclusion of the arc and they are usually a tad different.

My gripe is... why didn't Nako take off her bottoms when jumping into the ocean? She must be a really, really, really strong swimmer to be able to save someone with those on. Not to mention the waves and the thickness of the garment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The only reason I'd say this episode felt disjointed is that it was too crazy at times. However, it was also crazy fun! That makes it very easy to forget about the ridiculousness of the whole situation. This episode was gold. Comedy gold, to be exact (and there was a good amount of character development too). If you didn't enjoy it, your loss. That doesn't mean it was bad or unfitting (I'd wager the writer knows better than us what does or doesn't fit this series).
Like how EVERYONE tagged along for the chase.

I was going to use this but figured I'd stick with classic Moka, so freebie:

Last edited by DragoZERO; 2011-04-17 at 21:57.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 23:03   Link #777
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well pretty much every opinion has already been stated by someone at this point, but FWIW I fall in with those that thought this was a real step down. My problem isn't with fanservice or a change of pace. My problem is that everyone in the cast appeared to be hit with a stupid stick. Third ep is pretty soon to to take characters you barely know and completely change the way they behave. Not to mention the failed author was so unsympathetic that it made Ohana's speech at the end very nearly puke-worthy.

Then, mysteriously, the series we thought we knew was re-born in the last two minutes, which were wonderful and seemed like part of a completely different series than the first 20. The good news is that this is a two-cour series that can afford a slip-up, and there's no reason to believe this is a death spiral - just a dip. Still, if everyone continues to behave as idiotically as they did for the bulk of the ep that's going to present a real problem. Fortunately I don't expect that to happen.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 23:12   Link #778
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Very strong episode. Finally, Hana-saku escaped from being done-100time-before-K/J-morning-drama, but became something I can enjoy. This was awesome.
Old 2011-04-17, 23:22   Link #779
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Very strong episode. Finally, Hana-saku escaped from being done-100time-before-K/J-morning-drama, but became something I can enjoy. This was awesome.
It was never exactly a k/j-drama....

It was the type of anime we were sorely lacking before hand. This episode was almost like every other anime out there.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 23:47   Link #780
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I spend all day reinstalling my programs and Windows and come back to... this?

Wow, lol. That was pretty awful. I mean disappointing plot, disappointing character, somewhat tasteless, and worse of all disappointing fanservice!

Actually I thought the first part was funny, because he was failing so hard at kidnapping and bondage that he had to be taught! What a non-threat. Sadly it goes downhill from there.

Anyhow, it's obvious they are painfully aware of the fact that good series cannot sell well without blatant pointles fanservice since the clientele is just like our writer here! But sadly, we didn't even get anything beyond a cocktease. Bleh, it's not like anything I haven't seen elsewhere. Maybe I should finish off Yosuga no Sora?

That's also gotta be the most boring car chase ever. Why is a good deal of the episode devoid of BGM? I mean, if they were going for ridiculous they might as well have gone for over the top ownage action, if that loser had died in an explosion, that's an easy 10/10.

Anyhow I was wondering when this episode was ending, and they have that pep talk. Wait, there's still 7 minutes left of this? But it's ok we get a pretty epic water rescue not unlike one from Yugioh the Abridged Series. Meh.

Anyhow the start, the end, and the scene where the old guy blushes when it's suggested he be tied up gets the episode a bonus 2 points. This episode gets a 3/10. It's up there with the Mai-HiME panty episode, except even more boring. But hey, nobody's perfect.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, p.a. works, pa works, romance, slice of life