AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: What is the level of Puella Magi Madoka Magica compared to Evangelion?
It is close to reaching Evangelion level. 2 13.33%
It is a rank/level lower than Evangelion. 1 6.67%
It has a long way to go. 4 26.67%
Not really. 1 6.67%
It's definitely overrated! 1 6.67%
It's something I would keep quiet on because it is subjective. 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-25, 17:34   Link #1
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Puella Magi Madoka Magica vs Evangelion

Could one say that Madoka Magica has reached a legendary level? What do you think about the comparisons of Madoka Magica to Evangelion?
Old 2011-04-25, 17:49   Link #2
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It is WAY too early to make any kind of judgement like that. Until it's able to establish new trends and be remembered for a very long time, you can't even begin to compare it with Evangelion.

Besides, I find it that it is very easy to misjudge a show's greatness due to the massive amount of hype recent shows generate. That is, every popular show at some point will get labeled as "teh best animu forever"

Therefore it is a bad idea to pass off anything as legendary when it's so recent. Will anyone remember it in 5 or 10 years? At that point, we can begin to say something. But at this point it still has yet to prove that it has the staying power of something like, say Nanoha, that's been around for 7 years, etc.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-04-25 at 18:21.
Old 2011-04-25, 17:51   Link #3
MartianMage

You're comparing Madoka to which Evangelion? The first one or the entirety of the franchise? I think you need to clarify that.

In any case I never really got into Evangelion so personally I loved Madoka more. And since none of the choices match that answer so yeah...

And Archon_Wing is right in saying that you need to wait for a few more years to observe Madoka's impact to label it as "legendary" in anime history...

although personally I can say this right now that I will never forget Madoka. Madoka has given me simply one of the best(if not the best) viewing experience in my long years of watching anime.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
Old 2011-04-25, 17:56   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I guess it all depends on the metrics you've used. By what criteria is it "legendary"?
Simple viewing numbers? Product sold? Fansubs downloaded? - those are quantifiable.
Mind-blowing? Intricate story-telling? Too vague to actually make sense like some pop psychology fad? - those are subjective.

I think Forbidden Planet is a classic milestone in science fiction movies....many people are bored to tears by it.

OTOH... I was remarkably UNimpressed by Evangelion but then I'm probably jaded and cynical. And yeah, none of the answers are what I select so I'm writing in the margin.
Old 2011-04-25, 18:04   Link #5
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Sabato View Post
You're comparing Madoka to which Evangelion? The first one or the entirety of the franchise? I think you need to clarify that.

In any case I never really got into Evangelion so personally I loved Madoka more. And since none of the choices match that answer so yeah...

And Archon_Wing is right in saying that you need to wait for a few more years to observe Madoka's impact to label it as "legendary" in anime history...

although personally I can say this right now that I will never forget Madoka. Madoka has given me simply one of the best(if not the best) viewing experience in my long years of watching anime.
The first one (as the others, 1.0 and 2.0, [OVA] were created in successive order after the first one)
Old 2011-04-25, 19:26   Link #6
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
So why are alll the poll options something which would show Evangelion in greater light than Madoka ? Tbh, you can't even compare the series and it is way too early as said, but I'd still say Madoka > Evangelion because I don't like Evangelion. So why are there only options for the Evangelion fans ?
Old 2011-04-25, 19:29   Link #7
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

If Mahou Senki Lyrical Nanoha was able to stick for seven years, then it might be the better contender for legendary status than Puella Magi Madoka Magica, which has just finished the series.

I agree that it is still too early to tell, and we need at least two years worth of sales and constant positive feedback. Two years, in fact, is too little time.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2011-04-25, 19:32   Link #8
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
So why are alll the poll options something which would show Evangelion in greater light than Madoka ? Tbh, you can't even compare the series and it is way too early as said, but I'd still say Madoka > Evangelion because I don't like Evangelion. So why are there only options for the Evangelion fans ?
It's not about quality... It's about the impact the anime has on the anime industry. When someone calls something legendary, it implies that not only was it was successful, but it actually changed the fan base and the anime industry.

Whether Madoka can do this or not is still an open question. Eveangelion was probably the biggest anime of the last two decades easily, so that's why Evangelion is placed on a pedestal compared to everything (Despite of course there being a wide range of opinions on it).
Old 2011-04-25, 21:09   Link #9
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

the only problem is the viewer rating is still too low.... maybe we still need to wait for DVD....
well, it's reality that this anime still have long way to go....
but, I vote for the first choice because it is only matter of time... XD
Old 2011-04-25, 21:37   Link #10
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
It's not about quality... It's about the impact the anime has on the anime industry. When someone calls something legendary, it implies that not only was it was successful, but it actually changed the fan base and the anime industry.

Whether Madoka can do this or not is still an open question. Eveangelion was probably the biggest anime of the last two decades easily, so that's why Evangelion is placed on a pedestal compared to everything (Despite of course there being a wide range of opinions on it).
According to Yamakan, it's Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and End of Evangelion. (at least in the Otaku Encyclopedia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
the only problem is the viewer rating is still too low.... maybe we still need to wait for DVD....
well, it's reality that this anime still have long way to go....
but, I vote for the first choice because it is only matter of time... XD
Maybe it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
If Mahou Senki Lyrical Nanoha was able to stick for seven years, then it might be the better contender for legendary status than Puella Magi Madoka Magica, which has just finished the series.

I agree that it is still too early to tell, and we need at least two years worth of sales and constant positive feedback. Two years, in fact, is too little time.
Nanoha... not really (if there's an impact).
Old 2011-04-25, 22:18   Link #11
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I think Madoka is far better then Evangelion
Old 2011-04-25, 22:19   Link #12
weaponX
Designated facepalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Therefore it is a bad idea to pass off anything as legendary when it's so recent. Will anyone remember it in 5 or 10 years? At that point, we can begin to say something. But at this point it still has yet to prove that it has the staying power of something like, say Nanoha, that's been around for 7 years, etc.
You're right, it is too early to give it legendary status, but I do feel like it will have staying power just due to the strength of the story alone.
misery no more.”
Proverbs 31: 6-7MyAnimeList
Old 2011-04-25, 23:08   Link #13
Kyuu
=^^=

Newer series have one handicap compared to older series pre-2000.

The sheer number of "epic" series comes in year-after year. Looking back at the 90's, nothing else really compared to Evangelion. Not even any Gundam series released at the same time.

And if you want a more recent example of a "legendary" series. I will have to point to Haruhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist
Madoka > Evangelion because I don't like Evangelion
Nice way to reason.

As for Evangelion, it was a "so-so" series for me. However, the sheer intensity of its presentation tends to stick to my mind. The music, chaos, and urgency of the series is still remembered. Everything else afterwards mimics it. To this day, I have yet to complete watching Evangelion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I guess it all depends on the metrics you've used. By what criteria is it "legendary"?
Simple viewing numbers? Product sold? Fansubs downloaded? - those are quantifiable.
Reasoning will have to be qualitative.

Another example of "legendary" would be Sailor Moon - for having spearheaded anime to a greater degree in the West. Anime itself already penetrated the West prior to Sailor Moon; but the media form itself really began growing the SM. This paved the way for the likes of Evangelion, DBZ, and Pokemon.

===

Oh. I have yet to watch Madoka. So go ahead. Give me a reason why I should bother watching it -- and what makes it so... "epic". Kekekekek (Don't get me wrong. I will.)
Old 2011-04-25, 23:24   Link #14
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

The sheer number of "epic" series comes in year-after year. Looking back at the 90's, nothing else really compared to Evangelion. Not even any Gundam series released at the same time.

And if you want a more recent example of a "legendary" series. I will have to point to Haruhi.
The 90's had plenty of famous animes that were considered big at the time. People who have only payed attention in detail to anime in the last 10 years always seem to have a warped impression of what the biggest animes are. Many animes just really don't have that staying power, the ability to be remembered so long afterwards with a raving fan base.
Old 2011-04-25, 23:45   Link #15
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

*browse through his dvd library

Ranma 1/2, Utena, Tenchi Muyo, Excel Saga, Nadesico, Bubble Gum Crisis (original), Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne. FLCL, Irresponoble Captain Taylor, Rurouni Kenshin, Slayers, Trigun, Gundam Wing,

do you want me to list the classics form the 80s?
Old 2011-04-26, 00:41   Link #16
mecharobot

Considering that Madoka is a troll anime, I'd say that it doesn't have a lasting appeal. A talking rat collecting angst energy out of moe girls, with cheap arte is not something that I'd consider groundbreaking.
Old 2011-04-26, 01:17   Link #17
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Like it or not, Evangelion caused a revolution in the anime industry and fandom. If something has to be compared to Eva, it must first cause a rift in the space-time continuum of the anime industry; otherwise, it's no contest. The closest one to do that is probably Haruhi, but it still not quite the same sheer level that Eva caused in its time (and it still reverberate today).
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Old 2011-04-26, 01:19   Link #18
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Basically if you have to ask if something is legendary, it probably isn't. Evangelion's effects cannot be denied regardless of one's preference for it.

We can come back in 10 years though.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-04-26, 01:45   Link #19
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
*browse through his dvd library

Ranma 1/2, Utena, Tenchi Muyo, Excel Saga, Nadesico, Bubble Gum Crisis (original), Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne. FLCL, Irresponoble Captain Taylor, Rurouni Kenshin, Slayers, Trigun, Gundam Wing,

do you want me to list the classics form the 80s?
Ah yes. Tenchi Muyo. Unfortunately, this series was... how do I put it... "quiet". That's despite being on CN over and over again. It just didn't have that... "huzzah" effect that Evangelion did. Same goes with the rest of that list, even though Bebop is heralded as well.

Slayers was a niche series. Thanks to YouTube: Funimation, I can still go back and watch that. At least, it still better be there. XD

And going into the 80's. Plenty of series then spearheaded into the West... like Voltron and Macross (coverted to Robotech). I remember Voltes V as well. However, the terms "anime" or "Japanimation" didn't really emerge then. Even if the terms originate then, the language impact has not been felt into the 90's.

Any type of "anime" from the 80s and older... viewers then often considered them as "cartoons". Until anime became more popular, the differentiation of "anime vs cartoon" became lexicon. Sadly, due to that, we're cursed with the "anime as Japanese only" definition (which I contend now).
Old 2011-04-26, 01:45   Link #20
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Madoka > Evangelion because I don't like Evangelion
Pretty much this. Which one is better, or more legendary, etc? Does it matter? Enjoy what you enjoy. There is no "best".

Eva is enjoyed by many largely because it turned the mecha genre on its head. Madoka did the same for the mahou shoujo (magical girl) genre. The true effects of both of these titles is that you will likely see attempts to mimic, mock, parody, one up, deconstruct or reconstruct what they are and what they've done for the industry.

For the fans, well....it's generational. Newer fans don't really remember many of the great 90's anime like Bubblegum Crisis or Excel Saga. That doesn't make them any less influential or great. Go ahead and ask your average 13 year old if they've ever seen Citizen Kain, a movie widely recognized as one of the greatest movies ever made. Chances are, the answer will be no, they haven't seen it (or likely never even heard of it).

So ultimately, there is no versus here.

In general the mods aren't fond of versus threads, because they usually dissolve into people arguing opinions and getting angry about it. These sorts of topics are just too flammable, so I'm going to have to close it. Sorry.