AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > GATE

Notices

Old 2015-07-19, 11:56   Link #841
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
It ends up depending on each one's belief of how things should be perceived... A tough bone...
That may just be it.
Old 2015-07-19, 13:08   Link #842
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Well I am just speaking for myself, but the way the manga portrayed it, I didn't feel any "emotions" either, just because there were a few hills of corpses and intestines flying around. I am used to gore in fiction so it didn't affect me. And due to that I didn't really notice any differences between how the manga did it and how the anime did. If there was anything else beside shock value then what is it? All I read is something about how the manga version suppsedly has some kind of "impact", but I have literally no idea what that is supposed to be. The little scene where the soldiers were annoyed that they couldn't watch LoTR had more "impact" on me than the way the battle was portrayed.
Eh, I don't remember the manga being that violent.

But besides that I won't claim imagery like that will effect everybody, but certainly the majorly will feel something. Moreover beyond just a emotional connection to happenings it's needed for logical ones. In chaotic battles like the ones portrayed in GATE should a expected stronger sense of weight to sell it's concept (modern military vs fantasy) so a level of strong violence is expected. It does not (and should not) need to be gratuitous. There are several shows airing this very season which has similar level violence to GATE (i.e Gangsta, Rokka no Yuusha etc), but display carnage in very tastefully and restrained manner. When people/monsters get cut/shot they bleed, but without silly blood fountains. Corpses are shown, but without entrails and the like littered everywhere. The viewer can understand what took place without some card telling what happened because they saw it themselves. All this without being over the top about it.

That's really only what others like myself are asking and it's not hard to do.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-07-19 at 22:16.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-19, 14:18   Link #843
Galaxian

Well, this anime is the biggest surprise of the season for me. While there were other series that I was waiting for, I knew nothing of this anime, but damn it is really good.

The cheery OP and ED and the bright colors hide how brutal it can be, but I like how the main cast is facing everything with the utmost optimism.

Also, the otaku and tokusatsu jokes are a plus.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-19, 14:59   Link #844
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Well, this anime is the biggest surprise of the season for me. While there were other series that I was waiting for, I knew nothing of this anime, but damn it is really good.

The cheery OP and ED and the bright colors hide how brutal it can be, but I like how the main cast is facing everything with the utmost optimism.

Also, the otaku and tokusatsu jokes are a plus.
Yeah this is definitely the hidden jewel of the season. I usually only have time to check out a few of my unkown titles each season and I'm glad I picked this as one of them. I'm also surprised how much I got into the OP and ED. One of those rare shows where I like both.
Old 2015-07-19, 22:05   Link #845
GDB

Just watched episodes 1-3 in a row. While I liked what I saw, when I finished I couldn't help but feel like I only really watched one episode's worth of content. And that makes me worried about watching it weekly from here on out.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-19, 22:19   Link #846
Esclair

Itami's sister turned into an Idolmaster
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-19, 23:05   Link #847
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i hope they don't play too much into the politics of the kingdom and do more squad interaction with the locals. but obviously that won't be the case.. haha

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-19, 23:57   Link #848
mysterious

Look like we are going to have some real close interaction between this fantasy population and the JSDF with all the refugees that Itami picked up. I am just a sucker for these community building parts.

Now back to the censor of the anime, if they keep removing all the crimes against humanity that the empire committed and will commit later in the stories by not showing it, that would make all the JSDF's retaliations as over react and trigger happy. But then again I guess the show can just removed those scenes too and the audience can just connect the dot with their imagination. Talk about poor execution
Old 2015-07-20, 00:14   Link #849
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Just watched episodes 1-3 in a row. While I liked what I saw, when I finished I couldn't help but feel like I only really watched one episode's worth of content. And that makes me worried about watching it weekly from here on out.
I don't see how one could compact all of this until only one episode. Two maybe, but not one.
Old 2015-07-20, 02:01   Link #850
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
Now back to the censor of the anime, if they keep removing all the crimes against humanity that the empire committed and will commit later in the stories by not showing it, that would make all the JSDF's retaliations as over react and trigger happy. But then again I guess the show can just removed those scenes too and the audience can just connect the dot with their imagination. Talk about poor execution
You're calling poor execution before any of this has happened, or before you even know it will happen at all? Seriously?
We can certainly expect that the censorship will continue, but calling how they will execute parts of the anime way in the later half of the series is overpresumptuous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I don't see how one could compact all of this until only one episode. Two maybe, but not one.
I didn't feel it either. The first three episodes were several chapters of the manga already, and the anime even added in the battle between the united armies and the JSDF, which wasn't shown in the manga.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2015-07-20 at 02:23.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-20, 04:16   Link #851
Gohan78
Awakened One

I just want to give my two cents about the censorship as a non-manga reader.

At first I thought the sterilization of violence was acceptable (and unavoidable due to the time slot) but after reading what was removed from Episode 3 I changed my mind.

For example, when Rory attacked those bandits I thought that she was evil, so I was surprised when the kids happily greeted her. If they had shown the bandits mercilessly raping and killing villagers, then Rory's slaughter would have felt more justified.

The second blunder was the dragon attack, which seemed to only char a few wagons. They even had to put out a panel with "enormous number of corpses" because otherwise I would've never guessed there were any casualties! I am in no way a violence freak but that's awful!
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-20, 04:19   Link #852
tsunade666

I finally manage to have time to watched the first 3 episodes of the anime.

Pacing wise... I felt that its kinda slow? or maybe its because I read the manga but I felt that episode 1 is the most slow one, with all the point taken on how Itami is an otaku. Its like, its been reminded to the viewers on that whole episode.

Episode 2 is fine. It shown the pov of the invaders and their retaliation.

The emperor also made a bold and good move. His empire is in danger of being invaded because their military unit is down to 40% which is why they start the campaign to take back the hill. But its just a plot to weaken the nearby country. Good and nasty move.

Episode 3 is also good. It finally shows the flame dragon. The animation is pretty solid and steady. I liked it.

Though they cut the mature/adult parts in the manga/LN but I'm fine with it.

if you just watched the anime alone. Then its fine, you can just think of the invaders as guilty of attacking and killing a people full of a city. there are lots of casualty there. And the japan are just striking back against their invaders.
Old 2015-07-20, 05:10   Link #853
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
For example, when Rory attacked those bandits I thought that she was evil, so I was surprised when the kids happily greeted her. If they had shown the bandits mercilessly raping and killing villagers, then Rory's slaughter would have felt more justified.
Yeah, no. You don't need rape to show bad guys are bad. It's worked for decades without rape, and it still works today. The bandits were portrayed as bad perfectly fine. Rape can be used in a story when properly used, but here it would have just been unnecessary and a good deal on the tasteless side.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2015-07-20 at 05:25.
Old 2015-07-20, 07:26   Link #854
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Yeah, no. You don't need rape to show bad guys are bad. It's worked for decades without rape, and it still works today. The bandits were portrayed as bad perfectly fine. Rape can be used in a story when properly used, but here it would have just been unnecessary and a good deal on the tasteless side.
...I think some clarification is needed here, no rape was ever shown in the scene. It only had off and distance panel shots of the bodies as well as Rory's dialogue to implicate that it happened. So even if had aired in it's entirety you wouldn't have seen anything explicit anyway. More importantly as others stated before the whole thing was for Rory's characterization, something she barely has in anime now without. It will come again a bit in the future, but the point wasn't gratuitous, pointless or there just to show the bandits were bad men. So censorship isn't effecting just miscellaneous stuff in the storyline, but perception of some characters.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-07-20 at 07:46.
Old 2015-07-20, 07:32   Link #855
kukuru

It's an ongoing issue, but it goes back to scaling a story to be a story and not a satire of the real world.

Everything and anything is given a "best ideal performance" weighted average.

In essence this is a story scale back to a young adult, vs 30-something mature cynic.

We know reality is stupidly inefficient, nasty, and all around stupid if things were ever written down. That's not what writing an adventure is about.
kukuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-20, 08:31   Link #856
Galaxian

Planing to attack defenseless refugee = Evil enough for me. You have might have issues if you need more.
Old 2015-07-20, 08:48   Link #857
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
...I think some clarification is needed here, no rape was ever shown in the scene. It only had off and distance panel shots of the bodies as well as Rory's dialogue to implicate that it happened. So even if had aired in it's entirety you wouldn't have seen anything explicit anyway. More importantly as others stated before the whole thing was for Rory's characterization, something she barely has in anime now without. It will come again a bit in the future, but the point wasn't gratuitous, pointless or there just to show the bandits were bad men. So censorship isn't effecting just miscellaneous stuff in the storyline, but perception of some characters.
You're kidding, right? One panel in particular made it very clear that the women had been raped. In spoiler tags for those who are squeamish,
Spoiler:
It was the page in volume 1 right after they shot the horse to save Lelei, somewhere around page 81, so please go back to the manga and see it for yourself. And not showing privates does not mean no rape happened. There was no "distant" or "off" there. It was explicitly rape. They did also show some distant shots, but they also included some gruesome close-ups of the naked dead women. Even if they hadn't shown the rape happening, the naked dead women kinda made it obvious what happened. Heck, even Rory's and the last bandit's dialogue, while not specifically stating the word "rape" (though she actually did if you understand the Japanese term usage there) made it clear it happened if you're actually understanding anything.
You're either doing a bad job of understanding that scene or you are intentionally feigning ignorance. -_- And it's worthy to note that you're the only one who's trying to say rape didn't happen there.

The rape served no purpose for Rory whatsoever. The killing the bandits because of "the circe of life" thing (don't take the phrasing to heart non-manga readers, I'm not going for real accuracy there) scene where she made the guy dig the graves for them was what was important. But as others have agreed as well, time-constraints were an issue. To make that scene of Rory explaining her purpose worthwhile, they'd have to make it long, much longer than they had to work with in the episode. Hopefully they'll get around to covering it later.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2015-07-20 at 09:15.
Old 2015-07-20, 09:50   Link #858
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Alphapolis is a small company? I'm kinda surprised since according to their catalog, the company sells lots of types novels, light novels and manga in for all demographics.

Anyway, as someone who read the manga, i'm perfectly fine how the anime tells the story and what it portrays or shows. As long they tell the plot well, that's all that matters. Just like the Hellboy comics and movies.

Quote:
Didn't the US president say they'd lend some kind of support to the expedition team? They're definitely looking to get in on anything worthwhile on the other side of the gate.
That reminds me of something that has been irking me since watching the JSDF deployed through the Gate. Japan and the USA have a Mutual Defense Treaty where in the event where Japan get's attack, US Forces stationed in Japan will respond and help their Japanese counterparts.

Heck, the expedition through the Gate should have been a joint US-Japan force since both sides are close allies and have work together before. Marine Corps Yumi evens shows this since the late author was a former US Marine.

At first it boggles my mind why the author didn't include since he was a former JSDF servicemen until i learn of his political views which i suspect he deliberately did this.
Old 2015-07-20, 09:56   Link #859
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
You're kidding, right? One panel in particular made it very clear that the women had been raped. In spoiler tags for those who are squeamish,
Spoiler:
It was the page in volume 1 right after they shot the horse to save Lelei, somewhere around page 81, so please go back to the manga and see it for yourself. And not showing privates does not mean no rape happened. There was no "distant" or "off" there. It was explicitly rape. They did also show some distant shots, but they also included some gruesome close-ups of the naked dead women. Even if they hadn't shown the rape happening, the naked dead women kinda made it obvious what happened. Heck, even Rory's and the lst bandit's dialogue, while not specifically stating the word "rape," made it clear it happened if you're actually understanding anything.
You're either doing a bad job of understanding that scene or you are intentionally feigning ignorance. -_- And it's worthy to note that you're the only one who's trying to say rape didn't happen there.
I don't understand. I said the manga showed some girls had been raped because the bodies could be seen and even Rory states as such. But the actual event had already happened before we the readers see it. All we get is the aftermath. Perhaps the bodies may have been more explicit then I remember, but doesn't that the adaptation couldn't have been just subtlety implied it with a off screen body (like a naked leg or something).

Addendum: I just checked Ch 10 (Rory's first appearance), um it's pretty much what I said. The bodies appear in 4 panels and only two reveal any detail, mainly the exposed upper torso (face, chest and stomach) lying out on the ground, before Rory closes one of their eyes. I don't even know why your bringing up other stuff the anime skipped that I don't even care about. This was 24 pages BTW.

Quote:
The rape served no purpose for Rory whatsoever. The killing the bandits because of "the circe of life" thing (don't take the phrasing to heart non-manga readers, I'm not going for real accuracy there) scene where she made the guy dig the graves for them was what was important. But as others have agreed as well, time-constraints were an issue. To make that scene of Rory explaining her purpose worthwhile, they'd have to make it long, much longer than they had to work with in the episode. Hopefully they'll get around to covering it later.
Funny how your one claiming others are ignorant when you go and state this. I never said the rape was important, it was merely catalyst for both Rory's introduction in the plot and to highlight her views on morality based on her God. This an absolute fact that any who's read the sources knows. Whether it could have been done differently is not relevant. Because they took out that part the scene is utterly pointless in the anime and the staff should just changed to something else removing it's only purpose. It would have been far better than just halfassing it by making it a random killing.

Regardless this something I don't care about anymore, the anime is the anime and manga is the manga. I was merely correcting you that's all.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-07-20 at 10:10.
Old 2015-07-20, 10:13   Link #860
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
I don't understand. I said the manga showed some girls had been raped because the bodies could be seen and even Rory states as such. But the actual event had already happened before we the readers see it. All we get is the aftermath. Perhaps the bodies may have been more explicit then I renumber, but doesn't that the adaptation couldn't have been just subtlety implied it with a off screen body (like a naked leg or something).
It very much did show the actual rape happening. I pointed out the page where it happened and the positions shown. It just wasn't shown at length. The writer didn't spend several panels showing it. (good) But there's still no need for the rape in the first place.

Quote:
Addendum: I just checked Ch 10 (Rory's first appearance), um it's pretty much what I said. The bodies appear in 4 panels and only two reveal any detail, mainly the exposed upper torso, before Rory closes one of their eyes. I don't even know why your bringing up other stuff the anime skipped that I don't even care about.
......at this point, I actually hope you're doing this on purpose. Rory was introduced in chapter four of the manga, where they show the bandits and the rape. Chapter five is where she met Itami on the road and Enryuu attacked. Chapter ten is in volume 2 and is the beginning of the attack on Italica after Itami and his team start helping Pinya in its defence.

Quote:
Funny how your one claiming others are ignorant when you go and state this. I never said the rape was important, it was merely catalyst for both Rory's introduction in the plot and to highlight her views on morality based on her God. This an absolute fact that any who's read the sources knows. Whether it could have been done differently is not relevant. Because they took out that part the scene is utterly pointless in the anime and the staff should just changed to something else removing it's only purpose. It would have been far better than just halfassing it by making it a random killing.
You just said the "whole thing" was her characterization. -_- If you didn't mean the whole thing, don't say the "whole thing."
The scene with her establishing her views was about death, not rape. They didn't need any rape for her to start that speech.
I've already said several times that I agree that it was unfortunate that they took out her speech about death.

Quote:
I was merely correcting you that's all.
You didn't even get the chapter number right. -_-

Last edited by Shinji103; 2015-07-20 at 10:25.

Tags
military science fiction, seinen