AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-04-06, 07:19   Link #6882
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

^ As long as there's customer for the product, I would have to say yes.
Old 2012-04-06, 09:29   Link #6883
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Spoiler for tidiness:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
“I feel it is getting out of hand because it seems like people look at Christianity as a fair target,”
Fool! Of course it's a fair target. Just like all the other organized religions.

Endless "Equal Opportunity" Soul
Old 2012-04-08, 17:27   Link #6884
AnimeFan188

Reality check on Russia's 'zombie ray gun' program

"Are we on the brink of an arms race over zombie ray guns? You might think so,
based on the alarms being rung over Russia's potential to create mind-scrambling
weapons. But the reality is that it'll be a long time before we have to worry about
super-soldiers taking over our brains.

The Americans as well as the Russians have been looking into psychotronic
weapons for more than 15 years. You can find ample references to the subject on
the Internet, including a feature published by U.S. News and World Report in
1997 and a report written for a U.S. Army publication in 1998.

Such weapons purport to take advantage of the effect that pulsed microwaves
can have on brain activity. Some researchers have reported an effect known as
microwave hearing, in which a directed beam of radiation produces a sensation of
buzzing, clicking or hissing in the head. "This technology in its crudest form could
be used to distract individuals," according to a declassified Army review of
non-lethal weapons."

See:

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...ay-gun-program
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 17:31   Link #6885
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
"Are we on the brink of an arms race over zombie ray guns? You might think so,
based on the alarms being rung over Russia's potential to create mind-scrambling
weapons. But the reality is that it'll be a long time before we have to worry about
super-soldiers taking over our brains.

The Americans as well as the Russians have been looking into psychotronic
weapons for more than 15 years. You can find ample references to the subject on
the Internet, including a feature published by U.S. News and World Report in
1997 and a report written for a U.S. Army publication in 1998.

Such weapons purport to take advantage of the effect that pulsed microwaves
can have on brain activity. Some researchers have reported an effect known as
microwave hearing, in which a directed beam of radiation produces a sensation of
buzzing, clicking or hissing in the head. "This technology in its crudest form could
be used to distract individuals," according to a declassified Army review of
non-lethal weapons."

See:

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...ay-gun-program
The Europeans will be first after their Big Corps take over them. The weapon will be called the Persuadertron.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 19:49   Link #6886
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Fool! Of course it's a fair target. Just like all the other organized religions.

Endless "Equal Opportunity" Soul
Ah, but what he's getting at is that the other religions are not. It's not politically correct to make fun of any other religion but Christianity. I'm not Christian myself, but I do realize that yes, it is the most picked on religion out there.
Old 2012-04-08, 20:05   Link #6887
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySyler View Post
Ah, but what he's getting at is that the other religions are not. It's not politically correct to make fun of any other religion but Christianity. I'm not Christian myself, but I do realize that yes, it is the most picked on religion out there.
Not sure if we can really confirm it. I'd say it would depend on where we are.

===============================

Sex for Cheeseburgers

Oppressive enforcement of social norms
Old 2012-04-08, 21:31   Link #6888
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
That seriously depends on where you're standing .... it seems more the case the feeling is a new one for some Christians and they've amplified this idea because its such an unusual position to be in for them. Christianity is the dominant religion in the US and exerts a tremendous amount of control/influence on society, often to the detriment of other religions.

OTOH, in some other countries (e.g. Egypt, most Islam dominated countries, etc), Christians are sometimes in very precarious situations.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-04-08 at 22:09.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 22:05   Link #6889
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Turkmen president wins on racing track
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...04-07-10-12-43
Quote:
Turkmenistan's authoritarian leader has proven he doesn't only win elections easily, coming first in a car race he wasn't even supposed to take part in.
Old 2012-04-08, 22:10   Link #6890
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Between this and Putin wrestling with bears as a weekend pastime, which one should I trust more?
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 01:57   Link #6891
Azumanga Davo
Chiyo IQ, Osaka Aptitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Turkmen president wins on racing track
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...04-07-10-12-43
Turkembashi 2: The Sequel...
Old 2012-04-09, 02:02   Link #6892
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
I'm going to have to agree with this. I see it often--there are loads of athiests, anti-theists and religious critics who have no problem harshly criticizing Christianity, but when it comes to Islam or Judaism they get a lot more... polite. Especially in regards to Islam.

This may have something to do with the fact that extreme Islamic types are more than happy to threaten to kill people for drawing a picture of their Christ figure, or making some vaguely anti-Islamic tweets, or burning a Koran.
Old 2012-04-09, 02:58   Link #6893
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I'm going to have to agree with this. I see it often--there are loads of athiests, anti-theists and religious critics who have no problem harshly criticizing Christianity, but when it comes to Islam or Judaism they get a lot more... polite. Especially in regards to Islam.

This may have something to do with the fact that extreme Islamic types are more than happy to threaten to kill people for drawing a picture of their Christ figure, or making some vaguely anti-Islamic tweets, or burning a Koran.
I think it's more so that the same reason that White Heterosexual Cis Males are an acceptable target for being made fun, because they are the majority or rather maybe the privilege they get as a majority .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 03:47   Link #6894
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

As a wise man (Chris Rock ) said, "That's how life works. Those with the most shit, get to say the least shit. Those with the least shit, get to say the most shit."
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 09:19   Link #6895
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Young Chinese Women in Trouble for Writing Dirty Website

How dare they! Leave these women alone and let them write their erotic fiction!
Old 2012-04-09, 09:25   Link #6896
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Young Chinese Women in Trouble for Writing Dirty Website

How dare they! Leave these women alone and let them write their erotic fiction!
looks like SH's effort paid off. I wonder who he contacted in the Chinese gov't?
Old 2012-04-09, 13:13   Link #6897
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That seriously depends on where you're standing .... it seems more the case the feeling is a new one for some Christians and they've amplified this idea because its such an unusual position to be in for them. Christianity is the dominant religion in the US and exerts a tremendous amount of control/influence on society, often to the detriment of other religions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

Far be it for me to defend the indefensible, especially in the Silly/Odd News thread. My only concern is that, if we're truly interested in equal-opportunity criticism, we ought to remember to mock all kinds of stupid, be they secular or religious in nature.

I'm an atheist or, more accurately, an agnostic who prefers atheism. But, in the spirit of Good Friday just past:

Learning to respect religion
Quote:
By Nicholas D. Kristof

...The latest wave of respectful atheist writing strikes me as a healthy step toward nuance. I've reported on some of the worst of religion — such as smug, sanctimonious indifference among Christian fundamentalists at the toll of Aids among gay men — yet I've also been awed by nuns and priests risking their lives in war zones.

And many studies have found that religious people donate more money and volunteer more time to charity than the nonreligious. Let's not answer religious fundamentalism with secular fundamentalism, religious intolerance with irreligious intolerance.

NEW YORK TIMES
Or, if that is just a bit too much respect for you to stomach, there are always rejoinders you can relish instead:

Respecting religion for all the wrong reasons
Quote:
By Geoff Berg

...Kristof is inexplicably impressed with Haidt's research showing that fear of god makes for a more orderly society. Is it really a scientific revelation that fear forces people to act in accordance with what they believe to be the wishes of an omnipotent, jealous, and vengeful being who condemns the non-compliant to everlasting torment if they refuse (as described by his helpful earthly proxies, of course)?

Sounds a lot like a dictatorship, which as Kim Jong Un and his late father and grandfather can attest, is a great way to keep people in line...

...There is a secular society which has enjoyed substantial success, though the people who make it up share no natural "kinship" and religion cannot, as a matter of law, be forced on them. It isn't a commune and it wasn't established in the 19th century but the 18th.
For that matter, why stop at radio talk-show host? Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins are never ones to shy from robust debate.

In my case, I simply observe that if one were to cherry pick evidence to suit one's proposition, we can argue till the cows come home and never come to agreement. Secular experiments at social organisation have come and gone. China's Cultural Revolution comes to mind, as does the American Dream (which, going by last season's Occupation movement, I might be tempted to believe is more a nightmare than a dream).

The evils of religious fundamentalism are easily matched by the horrors of secular totalitarianism. Why condemn one and conveniently forget the other?

The plain fact is that, no matter how benign the original intention, good ideas often go bad. Confucian principles are about as secular as they come. Confucius loved the customs and rituals of the "ancients" not because he was a stickler for tradition, but because he saw in them examples by which others could live by, even as he tried to set a personal example for his students. Yet those who followed him eventually turned his teachings into a quasi-religion, a means to justify an emperor's mandate to lord it over all-under-heaven.

In other words, it's the people, not the idea. To me, that has been clear for a very long while. But the message, it seems, just doesn't get drummed home often enough. I would much prefer to celebrate the good things that ideology or religion share, like the principles of non-violent protest, for example, from the Buddha to Christ to Gandhi and to Aung San Suu Kyi.

We are awash in a sea of mediocrity, but we manage the best we can.

That, quite simply, is about being human.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 16:09   Link #6898
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

We now have flying cars:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17626818
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 19:03   Link #6899
GDB

I'd call it a road-sized plane moreso than a flying car.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 19:17   Link #6900
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
<snip>
Good morning mister. Just as you posted that, I was about to ask you about a certain article titled "Believers are winning against Atheists" on mypaper.

Couldn't find the online version to post that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
looks like SH's effort paid off. I wonder who he contacted in the Chinese gov't?
The CCP has my backing for this.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2012-04-09 at 19:41.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humor