Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-10-23, 14:12   Link #21
Fellen
*Insert user title here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Honestly i think Kingdom is still the only one that can fit the whole request.
I think Heavy Object fits perfectly as well FYI.

Quenser and Heivia (i consider their BROmance to be the protagonist) for the most part are as normal as they come. There's no hidden OP since the only way to become hidden OP in a mech for protagonists that can't pilot mechs is to all of sudden to develop the ability to pilot one (and when Quenser was in a moving mech his body did not last well). Quenser and Heivia develop a lot during the series. They have emotions, but they don't get whiny about killing people. They don't have any abilities aside from quick thinking and brains which they use in every fight and the amount of effort is god-tier.

The opponents are giant mechs which can withstand Nukes and possess the firepower needed to take down an ENTIRE BATTALION WITHOUT A SCRATCH. Sounds OP enough for a single student and a single soldier without special training and possessing often only two firearms and a few explosives that can almost be made with modern technology. The enemies are mostly similar in power from beginning to end with the only difference being that they keep getting smarter.
Old 2014-10-23, 19:50   Link #22
Iron Maw
Banned

Another series I just remember that fits this too: Ore ga Heroine o Tasukesugite Sekai ga Little Mokushiroku!? manga.

One of main draws of this series is about how surprising resourcefulness and ingenious the protagonist Rekka is. He uses situations to his unique situations to his advantage and has defeated every one of his opponent with no power ups whatsoever.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-23, 20:23   Link #23
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellen View Post
I think Heavy Object fits perfectly as well FYI.

Quenser and Heivia (i consider their BROmance to be the protagonist) for the most part are as normal as they come. There's no hidden OP since the only way to become hidden OP in a mech for protagonists that can't pilot mechs is to all of sudden to develop the ability to pilot one (and when Quenser was in a moving mech his body did not last well). Quenser and Heivia develop a lot during the series. They have emotions, but they don't get whiny about killing people. They don't have any abilities aside from quick thinking and brains which they use in every fight and the amount of effort is god-tier.

The opponents are giant mechs which can withstand Nukes and possess the firepower needed to take down an ENTIRE BATTALION WITHOUT A SCRATCH. Sounds OP enough for a single student and a single soldier without special training and possessing often only two firearms and a few explosives that can almost be made with modern technology. The enemies are mostly similar in power from beginning to end with the only difference being that they keep getting smarter.
Read only the translated manga chapters so far. And i do think it's interesting. But i think the premise fit the mound that i mentioned earlier as well.

I means one is the tournament format so it's limited down the time an over-powerful had to wipe off the "good side". Basically whatever superior fire power you had, its use is restricted in some ways. And two: the main character ability actually was a direct counter against the opponents. I means the best way to fight against a huge size mech which has massive fire power and can withstands supreme external force is... of course: move in small unit, infiltrate and destroy it from within. And who could have better to do it than one with godlike hacking or engineering skills'

Otherwise there is no way that you can pitch a main character without any sorts of special power, against a God-killing machine, being ridden by smart enemies, in an open field where he will be the sitting duck

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2014-10-23 at 20:42.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-23, 20:44   Link #24
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
No, I specifically asked for an MC with emotion.
That's kind of what I meant. Aldnoah.Zero probably meets all of your criteria except that one. And I noticed you had A.Z stalled at Episode 3, so...

I had the impression you were looking for something like A.Z, just with a less unemotional MC.
Old 2014-10-23, 21:29   Link #25
Darthtabby

How about Starship Operators? The main character is a military cadet whose fellow cadets drag her into an insane attempt to wage a one ship war against the dictatorship that conquered their home planet while they were away on a practicum cruise aboard a new battleship. (They obtain the funds necessary to purchase logistical support by selling the rights to the action to an interstellar TV network.) The first few episodes aren't all that great and I can't say it meets every one of your requirements perfectly but it gets good around episode five when it makes the jump from challenge of the week format to arc based storytelling.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 00:23   Link #26
Fellen
*Insert user title here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Read only the translated manga chapters so far. And i do think it's interesting. But i think the premise fit the mound that i mentioned earlier as well.

I means one is the tournament format so it's limited down the time an over-powerful had to wipe off the "good side". Basically whatever superior fire power you had, its use is restricted in some ways. And two: the main character ability actually was a direct counter against the opponents. I means the best way to fight against a huge size mech which has massive fire power and can withstands supreme external force is... of course: move in small unit, infiltrate and destroy it from within. And who could have better to do it than one with godlike hacking or engineering skills'

Otherwise there is no way that you can pitch a main character without any sorts of special power, against a God-killing machine, being ridden by smart enemies, in an open field where he will be the sitting duck
To reply to your points.

1.Heavy Object also has the tournament format. Now if it wasn't explained in the manga which skipped details about the world and mechs if i remember correctly so let me give some idea. There are 4 world powers and so while the protags were taking down opponents they could NOT be attacked outside the battlefield and if the opponents would send more power to the battlefield then others would attack the weakend points and also would the world power in which they belong (a mech for a mech).

2.Quenser and Heivia end up fight against mechs that they're not natural counters to, the same tactic doesn't work twice so they can't use methods they're good at always. Also sometimes the two of them end up fighting tens of footsoldiers with their cover blown and i don't think two people (one untrained) is a good counter to tens of elite soldiers.

Last edited by Fellen; 2014-10-24 at 00:59.
Fellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 00:26   Link #27
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenju of the Right View Post
What they mean is, though he has the power to negate. Alot of the times his enemies find a way around that so he has to find another way to win by using his cleverness, MAN his way through by durability or he's in such a bad position he needs his allies to help
(same author as Heavy Object, the guy has a thing for weak underdogs)
I can't speak for s2 but in s1 Touma certainly wasn't the type to use brains to win. More like charge at enemies in a straight line and punch them in the face in the hope it works.

Also if the power to negate ANYTHING isn't a direct counter to espers/magic then I don't know what is.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 02:51   Link #28
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
I can't speak for s2 but in s1 Touma certainly wasn't the type to use brains to win. More like charge at enemies in a straight line and punch them in the face in the hope it works.

Also if the power to negate ANYTHING isn't a direct counter to espers/magic then I don't know what is.
Well considering we are talking about anime only, then I can't say that Index is a good recommendation. The way Touma is portrayed is actually pretty poor. This is as true for Season 1 as it is for Season 2 and the Movie. It really does seem like he is running around without using any tactics.

But when one reads the novels, its crystal clear that he's clearly using his head. More specifically, he figures out what the best way to use his ability is depending on the opponent in front of him. And even though technically his ability is a direct counter for espers and magic, it really depends on how the opponent reacts to the threat.

TL;DR…
brief explanation
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

That's why novel readers would suggest Index to you as the perfect fit for your requirements. Even if the anime would says otherwise.

But if that still doesn't do it for you then next year's Heavy Object anime should satisfy you.

Another totally unrelated series is the tennis manga and anime series Baby Steps. Same as Index, that's the perfect series for your requirements as long as you don't mind realistic sports. The MC is actually one of my favourites because of this.

Last edited by OH&S; 2014-10-24 at 04:59.
OH&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 18:40   Link #29
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

I suppose Aldnoah Zero might fit the bill. Inaho manages to use a training mech to destroy multiple overpowered enemy mech with things like projectile-disintegrating force fields, bullet-blocking beam sabers, and other super-weapons. Essentially, he takes a "real robot" into a "super robot"-fight and wins thanks to superior tactics and piloting skill.

Also, I will support the previously recommended ideas of Arpeggio of Blue Steel and Starship Operators. If you like one, you will probably like the other two I recommend.

Edit: Aldnoah was already recommended, and I'll agree with the previous recommendation that it has its flaws, but was still very good IMO. Apart from that, my recommendations remain the same.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 19:07   Link #30
Zoltor

Kingdom fits the entire request, other then uses brains, since the actual MC, MC is pretty dumb, and simple minded in general.

However he does atleast follow the suggestions/plans of his tacticians, so atleast his confidence Isn't rooted in arrogance. His tacticians on the other hand are very smart, so I suppose you can make the claim that they are his brains.

Kingdom is a high end great that everyone should see.

Here's a overview/review for it: http://www.anime-forums.com/showthre...omplete-series)
Zoltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 20:31   Link #31
Iron Maw
Banned

I don't see how Inaho really fits here. Sure he doesn't get any power ups and whatnot in the series, but that's because doesn't need any. Inaho pretty made all of the opponents he faced in season 1 into jokes to the point that he actually OP more than anything. He's superpower basically him being a genius or at least way smart than anyone in the show by a large margin.
Old 2014-10-25, 01:16   Link #32
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
I don't see how Inaho really fits here. Sure he doesn't get any power ups and whatnot in the series, but that's because doesn't need any. Inaho pretty made all of the opponents he faced in season 1 into jokes to the point that he actually OP more than anything. He's superpower basically him being a genius or at least way smart than anyone in the show by a large margin.
You can't have it both ways. If MC is normal but faces against smart overpowered enemies, he will just die in the first episode unless some kind of political situation demands his survival or if the other characters complements his normalcy with overpowered abilities.

Therefore, the only choice you can really give to the thread starter is OP vs just slightly more OP or some variation of that because no anime exists like the one OP wants.

Or we can just give the thread starter every sports / tournament-with-strict-rules show that exists?
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-25, 18:20   Link #33
DreiFast

The ones that fit the criteria and i can think of are:

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Ben-To
After War Gundam X
Mugen no Ryvius
Vandread
Steins;Gate

Except those the closest i can think of is this (the only problems with this recommendations is that they have some power but at most the powers give them a fighting chance since most of the enemies in this shows get OP):

Mirai Nikki
Accel World
Fate/Stay Night
Fullmetal Alchemist: Bortherhood
D. Grayman
Ga-Rei: Zero
Kidou Senkan Nadesico
Needless (as far as the protagonist goes this fits your criteria perfectly the problem is his friends... they can be quite OP at times)
Outbreak Company
DreiFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-25, 19:18   Link #34
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
You can't have it both ways. If MC is normal but faces against smart overpowered enemies, he will just die in the first episode unless some kind of political situation demands his survival or if the other characters complements his normalcy with overpowered abilities.

Therefore, the only choice you can really give to the thread starter is OP vs just slightly more OP or some variation of that because no anime exists like the one OP wants.

Or we can just give the thread starter every sports / tournament-with-strict-rules show that exists?
But this is why Inaho doesn't fit. The opponents he fights aren't normal due to their ridiculously overpowered tech and so he has abnormal intellect to counter them. That's only reason why the pretty much most of military save for him conveniently useless coming up with strategies to beat the Martians despite having more knowledge experience then him. AZ has blatant artificial imbalance which Inaho tailored made as some special chosen one to fill. He's far from normal aside form the grunt mech he pilots. Heck, Kira Jesus Yamato could easily be put in the same situation he would still be considered OP.
Old 2014-10-25, 19:26   Link #35
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Queen's blade anyone?

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-25, 19:29   Link #36
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
But this is why Inaho doesn't fit. The opponents he fights aren't normal due to their ridiculously overpowered tech and so he has abnormal intellect to counter them. That's only reason why the pretty much most of military save for him conveniently useless coming up with strategies to beat the Martians despite having more knowledge experience then him. AZ has blatant artificial imbalance which Inaho tailored made as some special chosen one to fill. He's far from normal aside form the grunt mech he pilots. Heck, Kira Jesus Yamato could easily be put in the same situation he would still be considered OP.
i'm pretty sure kira is nowhere near as smart as inaho when it comes to finding holes in alien super technology lol. People only think kira is jesus because he managed to survive two or three(whether you count the genesis destroying providence or not) unrealistic for-sure deaths. his mech isn't really better than the aldnoah.

I suppose my main point is, what fits OP's criteria?
Only thing that comes to me right now is a show like Chihayafuru.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-29, 09:32   Link #37
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I'm back from marathoning Tokyo Ravens :3 Consider me shipping Kyouko x Suzuka.

Added one more criteria to the first post, perhaps this will give you more choices.

I don't mind if MC loses a fight (or several). I also don't mind if s/he doesn't win the final battle, bad ends are perfectly fine.
Old 2017-10-30, 19:13   Link #38
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Holy crap it has already been three years since I made this topic ... I'd like to refresh my request and have taken out the massively overpowered condition from the first post. Opponents should still be stronger but it can be close. As long as they're using brains first rather than brawn. This can include grouping up on though enemies or finding the weakness that lets you punch them.

I did catch up with Kingdom, Arpeggio, HxH and Heavy Object.

Hajime no Ippo is a good show but I'm kinda not feeling it.
I'll watch Galactic Heroes, Tytania and Horizon when the mood is right, they are not forgotten.
Haven't really looked into Starship Operators but will remedy that soon.
As for these I have seen most of them but I could give Outbreak Company a try.

My MAL is still the same. Also please don't recommend AZ again ._.
Old 2017-10-30, 23:15   Link #39
Kurohane

I want to recommend Yumekui Merry, the manga not the anime adaptation. I can't got into specifics without spoiling a whole lot, but the battles are not your typical fanfare. The MC is normal and really all I can say, and it's still a slight spoiler, is he does gain abilities but they are not in any way gamebreaking. I cannot express enough from reading all currently scanlated chapters how well put together it is. The start is slow to build up the setting, but once that's finished, it's just amazing.
Old 2017-11-02, 18:30   Link #40
kitten320

Akatsuki no Yona - everyone is strong apart from Yona herself. Her kingdom gets over thrown and she is on a runaway with her bodyguard. At first she is terrified and useless but gradually builds up the courage and has a cool scene towards the end of anime which has an open ending since manga is ongoing.

Arslan Senki (TV) - similar to Yona where kingdom is over thrown and young, weak prince is on a run. His crew are strong an a bit of Merry Sue but Arslan grows as a character and later is admitted to be a great leader and king candidate. Sadly despite having 2 seasons it is not finished. I think manga is till ongoing.

One Outs - baseball anime where MC has no real physical abilities but he has high observation skills and very strategic mind. As a result he wins his games not through force but clever, strategic thinking.