AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-04-24, 14:10   Link #41
gencbiba

Epic ch54... wow...

Captain Tsubasa and Dai no Daibouken are being translated!! Check us out at http://www.hiei-tf.fr/frenchies-subs/. Stop on by and show us some love at the forums.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 15:03   Link #42
Avisch
Reality Blender

Yeah......Just wow.

7-8 volume prologue.....Genius.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 15:08   Link #43
CygnusX

Prologue or whatever, I don't really care, the story evolves nicely and the art is great. I have no reason to complain.

With this chapter, Vinland Saga gets in my top 3 of running action mangas from the moment. The other 2 are Berserk and Vagabond, which this manga is starting to get close to imho. It continues to impress me every chapter, unlike for example Nartuo and Claymore (and bleach is the worst...) which seem to drag on atm...

Well as you might notice, my top 3 atm all has pretty great art which is different than most manga. If anyone knows other manga's which can be added to that list, please let me know

I wonder if we'll finally see the link between the current story and the first chapters of Vinland Sage. I guess Askeladd and Thorfinn will be smuggled outside nad get to fight in France where they aren't known by the people around the new king ...

Anyway, I'm very, VERY excited to see what next chapter will bring!

Last edited by CygnusX; 2009-04-24 at 16:53.
CygnusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 16:47   Link #44
Ultenth

One of, if not THE best manga running currently in my mind. I wish it was more regular, I am always so amped when I see a new chapter out. This story keeps getting more intense and epic, but at the same time the epicness is tempered with a terrific sense of realisim and humanity. I wish I could fast-forward 10 years and be able to read the entire series now.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 17:07   Link #45
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
It feels like we're expecting a time skip of some sort. After all, the "prologue" is over.

Adult Thornfinn is going to kick so much ass. I'm sad that they killed off so many awesome characters. Hopefully we'll be introduced with other good ones as well.

Spoiler for Viking Allegiance:
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 17:38   Link #46
JamesEdwards
ANTI-Nonsense

Send a message via AIM to JamesEdwards
Thumbs up

MANLY END was MANLY END!

Old 2009-04-25, 03:08   Link #47
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

The King is dead; Long Live the King!

Bloody hell, for a "prologue" this one surpassed Berserk's by miles.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 09:00   Link #48
gencbiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX View Post
Prologue or whatever, I don't really care, the story evolves nicely and the art is great. I have no reason to complain.

With this chapter, Vinland Saga gets in my top 3 of running action mangas from the moment. The other 2 are Berserk and Vagabond, which this manga is starting to get close to imho. It continues to impress me every chapter, unlike for example Nartuo and Claymore (and bleach is the worst...) which seem to drag on atm...

Well as you might notice, my top 3 atm all has pretty great art which is different than most manga. If anyone knows other manga's which can be added to that list, please let me know

I wonder if we'll finally see the link between the current story and the first chapters of Vinland Sage. I guess Askeladd and Thorfinn will be smuggled outside nad get to fight in France where they aren't known by the people around the new king ...

Anyway, I'm very, VERY excited to see what next chapter will bring!
Well, I'd probably read Zetman as well if I was you. Maybe add Holyland as a realistic fighting/seinen manga.

Captain Tsubasa and Dai no Daibouken are being translated!! Check us out at http://www.hiei-tf.fr/frenchies-subs/. Stop on by and show us some love at the forums.
Old 2009-04-25, 09:36   Link #49
CygnusX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba View Post
Well, I'd probably read Zetman as well if I was you. Maybe add Holyland as a realistic fighting/seinen manga.
Thank you. I already took note of Holyland, it is on top of my to-read list. Zetman I'll check out too.
Old 2009-04-26, 03:32   Link #50
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The latest chapter was just amazing. I just can't believe what happened... I never thought HE would die this way. Wow.

I can't wait to see what the next chapter has in store for us.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 05:18   Link #51
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Started reading this just yesterday and pushed through the chapters, until I reached the latest this morning. Latest chapter was pure awesomeness.
I call this the most epic manga I've ever read so far. I love it.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-31, 10:47   Link #52
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Is vinland saga released monthly?

Quote:
Think you should try Ubel Blatt and Historie as well.

Slightly off topic: Are there any other manga series just as good as Vinland?

And is Berserk any good? It gets good reviews, but how does it compare to Vinland Saga?
Old 2009-05-31, 14:45   Link #53
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Is vinland saga released monthly?
It's published in Afternoon, so I suppose that would be a yes.

Quote:
I can understand the Ubel Blatt recommendation for an action manga (though personally I find it not very...yeah, angst aversion here). But Historie? Yes, they're both excellent historical manga, but the latter has a very different pace from Vinland Saga, being more like the pace of the old classics: sometimes slow, sometimes introspective, then simple and straight, then goofy, and occasionally truly epic. Its only truly notable deficiency is, coincidentally, the weakness of the action, which was utterly dry and even simplistic, like a conclusion of a successful tactic or a catalyst for something else.

So yeah. Action manga?

Quote:
And is Berserk any good? It gets good reviews, but how does it compare to Vinland Saga?
It's a legend, a mark in manga history. What I can say others have said in all those reviews already. Go read it; judge for yourself.

Though yes, Vinland Saga is often compared to Berserk, and you compare things to Berserk when you want to judge it with a milestone.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-31, 16:09   Link #54
CygnusX

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post

Slightly off topic: Are there any other manga series just as good as Vinland?

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try them for sure.

Going off topic, but it's not like we have anything else to discuss with the long periods in between releases, so following might actually help some people pass those times.
Spoiler:
So if u want to read something like Vinland Saga but not quite like ... then I'd start with Vagabond.

For Berserk, it is imho the best action manga there ever was and ever will be. Yeah I could go on and on about it, but I guess you better go read it yourself and/or discuss in the berserk section.

I found it very hard to compare Berserk to Vinland Saga ...
Spoiler:

So ... Vinlang Saga and Berserk both are great manga's with awsome story and art, but the story and art is also different, so ... just read them both!
Old 2009-06-01, 13:49   Link #55
signorRossi

Vinland Saga is the manga I like most atm, followed in some distance by Vagabond and Holyland. Suicide Island from the same author of Holyland seems interesting too, but there are only a few chapters out yet.
As for Berserk, I have lost a little interest in it lately, it somehow misses moments like VS had in the last two chapters, it could use a little diversity. And I cannot second recommendations for Ubel Blatt, the Ecchi parts turn me off completely.
signorRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 15:25   Link #56
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

Ubel Blatt is up there with Berserk in my books. After the first few volumes it isn't as bad ecchi wise as people think...Story good, fighting is epic, Koinzell is the fucking man!

I haven't read Vinland Saga...I love Berserk, I like Gantz, Claymore is decent...still waiting on my boy Raki to make an appearance again...Ares is freaking epic and so is Sidooh (better then Kenshin in my book).

Anyways...so is Vinland worth the read?
Old 2009-06-02, 01:50   Link #57
signorRossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
I would bet your life on that!
I don't like Ares that much either and not surprisingly Ubel Blatt reminded me of it. But this is all just a matter of personal preference in the end, so there isn't no need to argue about that (but why all this 'Strumpfhalter' outfits? ). So go ahaead and read Vinland Saga to get to know something better (IMO)...
signorRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 04:31   Link #58
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
I hated Ares as well, and couldn't get into Berserk (the fantasy part turned me off a bit and its too long and a bit too dark).

Quote:
Vinland definitely though. Kickass manga no doubt, the arts amazing and the story is pure class.
Old 2009-06-02, 07:08   Link #59
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

So I got through all the chapters yesterday...then they tease me at the end saying "End of Prologue".

God damnit! This is why I like finished manga...no waiting lol.

Still not as good as Ares, Berserk or Ubel Blatt in my book though. Although it seems like they are just getting into it now though.
Old 2009-06-20, 10:11   Link #60
gencbiba

Already better than Ares and Ubel Blatt for me. Soon to be better than Berserk! (I know, blasphemy)

But the story is so well-made and the potential is endless. This could go ANYWHERE from here. The prologue is usually not as good as the main story, but I'm just hoping.

Tags
historical