AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-04-07, 09:03   Link #1
lunarelf

Is Japanese girls' confession as the same in real life in japan?

I've noticed that in many series, when it's about a romance/love story between two people, the girls are always the one to confess. I've never seen a guy confessing, except when it's in a funny situation (sakuragi in slam dunk, sawamura in midori no hibi, kintaro in golden boy, etc...)
I was wondering if it was the same in real life in japan, since in other countries, it's usually the guys that have to go the girl they love when they want to confess
lunarelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 09:14   Link #2
Cytrus
Unchangingly Hopeless

If I'm not mistaken, To-Love-Ru, of this season, is all about a guy trying to confess to a girl he likes (and then the alien comes). Also recent is Clannad.
Cytrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 09:25   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It goes both ways though I'm going to speculate that girls often have to take a first step when guys tend to be so clueless or socially inept .... but having the girls confess is a bit of an otaku fantasy so it more often occurs in 'harem' ero-game adaptations.
Old 2008-04-07, 19:07   Link #4
Lanner Falcon
Lord of the Crimson Realm

If a girl need confess to a guy… Burn him
Lanner Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 19:22   Link #5
solidified

I actually admire a girl having the courage to ask the guy out.
You know ALOT of times..the guy doesnt know if a girl likes him ( were not mind-readers OK!)

yeah, it really shows that she likes him enough to actually do the confession.
It takes guts.
solidified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 19:55   Link #6
bayoab

Japan does separate Valentine's Day and White Day and therefore the girls technically do go first. (I don't know whether the girls actually go first or if guys give it instead though.) From my one experience in Japan with Valentine's day, they very heavily market at girls to give chocolate... starting 3 weeks before the actual holiday.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 20:37   Link #7
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I'm curious about this statement. Is confessing someone a gift Jeebus has given to the brave (and manly!) male species, and women have no access to it?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 20:52   Link #8
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I'm going to speculate that girls often have to take a first step when guys tend to be so clueless or socially inept.
Arrrgh! No! I'm in the wrong country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidified
You know ALOT of times..the guy doesnt know if a girl likes him ( were not mind-readers OK!)
A female classmate once passed me flowers (or some other gift; I can't remember) from out of nowhere and I immediately scoffed that I didn't need them.

....and I promptly got scolded by another female buddy. It wasn't until a few days later that I finally put two and two together.

So, yeah, guys can really be that clueless. And yeah, we're not mind-readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
but having the girls confess is a bit of an otaku fantasy so it more often occurs in 'harem' ero-game adaptations.
Arrrggghhh! No!!!! But I want my fantasies to come true......
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 22:13   Link #9
LR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I'm curious about this statement. Is confessing someone a gift Jeebus has given to the brave (and manly!) male species, and women have no access to it?
Of course not; perhaps Lanner Falcon is just stating his ideals. ...although with more than enough conviction.

Also, for anyone interested, 'Suzuka' is yet another anime in which the male character confesses.
LR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 22:45   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My wife actually first asked *me* out on a date (versus the "pile of people go somewhere") in our senior year of high school because I was just totally transfixed and speechless anytime she got close. She did use an excuse (a club dinner where people were expected to "bring someone") but it all collapsed in a good way after that. But I don't think we ever actually articulated we were "a pair" (or going steady as they used to call it).
Old 2008-04-08, 00:37   Link #11
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

I'd have to agree with the clueless male as I am one, since I somehow managed to miss an extremely attractive girl back in college practically stare at me everytime our paths crossed for some six months.

She eventually did talk (sexiest voice I've ever heard btw) to me when we bumped (literally) into each other while I was out in town shopping and she told me she liked me.

Unfortunately she left town a week later for medical school and we've never seen each other since.

I'm /facepalm all over again remembering it.

Plus there's something very alluring about a woman who confesses.
Old 2008-04-13, 05:24   Link #12
seraphicmin
緒に...永久に?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanner Falcon View Post

I would somehow agree to this. hahaha.

But it applies more to those guys who are interested in a certain girl yet he doesn't dare to confess.

I would see them more as of a "coward". =/

As a girl, i would say girls in my country dislike this kinda guy most. lol.

But also, i agree on the part of guys being clueless most of the time. And the girls will have to take initiative from there.

However, can i say that if the guy is clueless, then perhaps he is not interested? lol.
seraphicmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 10:49   Link #13
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphicmin
But it applies more to those guys who are interested in a certain girl yet he doesn't dare to confess. I would see them more as of a "coward".
Ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphicmin
However, can i say that if the guy is clueless, then perhaps he is not interested? lol.
Speaking as a man, I'd say it's 50/50. Some guys really do need a hint. I could also throw the same question back at you. If the girl is clueless about a guy who likes her, then perhaps she is not interested? Rejections are painful...

...and you wonder why some guys are "cowards"...
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 10:54   Link #14
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditary View Post
Plus there's something very alluring about a woman who confesses.
yes, true. but there are those girls that are uber agressive which makes you more wary of them. some girls are too agressive while the rest are too "tsundere".

so, what's the answer to the topic? is the anime adaptation for confessions the same for real life japan? in my country we only go out, but we rarely confess anime style or something.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 11:53   Link #15
Falkor

Let’s change the title of this thread to “confessing experiences” …

I remember once receiving a note when I was in first or second year of high school. It was on my desk after coming from lunch. And yes, it was a confession, but it had no name… only initials (sounds familiar). The thing is, I didn’t know who was the person—even with that little clue (it wasn’t a great clue by the way)—and I was never good with names, so I just… hmmm threw it to the trash hmm… thinking somebody was playing a prank on me, which I later found out was not the case. I feel so ashamed, why did I do/think that? So, I basically sent somebody’s feelings to the trash without a second thought. I was either too clueless or disinterested—or maybe, I was just plainly stupid.

In retrospective, that was a really cruel rejection (if that person saw me), and I feel sorry for it. All I can say is, if you plan to confess by means of leaving a note, write down you full name to avoid misunderstandings—or a rejection from a clueless person.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 12:19   Link #16
seraphicmin
緒に...永久に?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Ouch.

Speaking as a man, I'd say it's 50/50. Some guys really do need a hint. I could also throw the same question back at you. If the girl is clueless about a guy who likes her, then perhaps she is not interested? Rejections are painful...

...and you wonder why some guys are "cowards"...

Haha. Sorry if it sounded harsh by using the word "coward". But yeah, that's what i got from asking around my girl-friends.

And i think usually girls DO take note of the guy she likes or is interested in. It's almost like in those animes, where the girls are always havin' their eyes "locked" onto the guy, knowin' his every moves. lol.

So if she's clueless, i think she's most likely not interested. However, it's hard for a girl to be clueless cause we are generally more sensitive creatures!

Perhaps that's why in animes, the girls usually confess first. Cause they are usually more aware of the feelings within, unlike the guys. lol.

And yup, rejections are painful. But if nothing was to be done, then you won't know what's the outcome? lol

That's why i kinda pity the girl Falkor mentioned. I can only imagine her frozen look while staring at Falkor throwing "her feelings" into the trash. =/ Haha.

And i guess she's just too shy/embarassed to write her full name down? Maybe. lol
seraphicmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 12:48   Link #17
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
In retrospective, that was a really cruel rejection (if that person saw me), and I feel sorry for it. All I can say is, if you plan to confess by means of leaving a note, write down you full name to avoid misunderstandings—or a rejection from a clueless person.
Or don't confess with notes at all.

Which is way better.
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 19:17   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd have been so flattered to get a note like that I'd have tried hard to figure out who sent it.

I'm sorry to hear your tale, Falkor, but it sounds like you won't make the same mistake again. Good luck to you!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 15:15   Link #19
ShadowVlican

lol damn right we're clueless
ShadowVlican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 16:21   Link #20
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
thinking somebody was playing a prank on me,
That would be my default first thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowVlican View Post
lol damn right we're clueless
We really, really are. =/ Well, I wouldn't have known what to do if something else had happened in my case, so maybe it's just as well.

Well, this doesn't belong in General Anime anymore, not that there's anything wrong with that. Lunarelf's fault for mentioning confessions in a ronery anime board.