AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-10, 22:53   Link #1
ImmortalFire

Good Mecha Anime

Any sugestions on good mecha anime? Ive already watched Code Geass and Im going to watch some Gundam soon. Any good ones other than those?
Old 2009-09-10, 23:10   Link #2
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Macross Frontier
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Full Metal Panic

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2009-09-11 at 02:18.
Old 2009-09-11, 00:58   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Eva. Seriously - go to the source.
Old 2009-09-11, 01:00   Link #4
Albafica
Pisces no saint

Gundam Seed first!

Other than Code Geass and Gundam, there are:

-Soukyuu No Fafner
-Macross Zero
-Evangelion
-Escaflowne
-Zegapain

There are animes like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann , Zone of the enders Dolores, Full Metal panic, Heroic Age, RahXephon , Eureka Seven, Gravion or Gunbuster; but I don't like them.
Old 2009-09-11, 01:19   Link #5
Shadow Kira01

Here are some good suggestions:

Eureka Seven: Its a story about a particular nation's Peoples Liberation Army as the leading main characters and their journeys in another nation who has one city known as South Dakota. However, there is a story twist in which reveals that the main characters are actually rebels posing as the PLA but the goals collide with the protagonist and the female lead which turns into something else. Generally, the story relates to genetic modifications and supernatural abilities, as well as mechas.

Gundam 0079: The debut anime to the popular Gundam series features Amuro Ray and Char Aznable in a fierce battle over revolutions of some sort. Unfortunately, I have only saw the first episode, even though the story has appeared in tons of Gundam games I have played and I pretty much have a good idea of what the story is about. Once I complete Amuro Ray's Nu Gundam story in Gundam Musou 2, I should pretty much know Gundam 0079 pretty well.

Gundam Wing: This story focuses on pacifism but the idea is very different from what many believes. The main characters are all terrorists who destroy military buildings and facilities, as well as kill people every time they appear in mysterious Gundams. They do it for the sake of the space colonies who are living difficult lives due to the Earth's dictatorship and also the fact that the Romefeller Foundation consist of mostly warmongers. The direct sequel, Endless Waltz make a perfect epilogue to the series!

Kurogane no Linebarrels: The protagonist starts off as a justice freak which I don't like but the story is quite interesting with a number of plot twists. The cast is pretty huge. One of the mechas greatly resemble Thanatos in P3P.

Macross 7: Fire Bomber are the main characters; the legendary rock band of the galaxy. I haven't finished this series yet, its a little long.. Personally, I think this is one of the best Macross series!!

Macross Frontier: The newest anime to the Macross series. There are cameos of older Macross fighters, as well as a particular battleship which was originally the flagship of the main characters in the first few animes. These all appear as enemy units. Fire Bomber also makes a cameo..only if you pay attention in one or two of the episodes. Unlike the previous series, however.. There are two lead singers in this series. One of the Galactic Fairy while the other is a Galactic Songstress. Surprisingly, the Fairy is blonde singer while the Songstress is a little girl who works at a Chinese restaurant. The two competes for the title to represent the Macross galaxy but the story swifts over to alien invasion after a short awhile or rather to say, the story primarily focuses on singing and galactic battles like any other Macross anime.

.....and also check out Legend of the Galactic Heroes as that lots of people have been vote trolling the anime on MAL. Personally, I have never seen it before, so I have little clue as to what the story is. I also have no clue as to what the spaceship designs are either.
Old 2009-09-11, 01:34   Link #6
qwertyuiopz

tengen toppa gurren langan
full metal panic
eureka 7

maybe zoids and maybe medabots if you like shounen

Last edited by qwertyuiopz; 2009-09-12 at 01:04.
Old 2009-09-11, 09:10   Link #7
Scorch

Mecha shows kind of fall into two basic categories, usually called Real Robots and Super Robots. RRs are more "realistic" in the sense that their physics makes more sense and people don't shout the names of attacks. Gundam 0079 is usually credited with creating RRs. I'd probably lump Code Geass in with the RRs, but they definitely have some SR characteristics. Kind of like the newer Gundam shows.

I'd second the recommendation of Gundam 0079 if you don't mind old animation. However, my favorite Gundam is 08th MS Team. The main characters in it are basically grunts, and they don't have ridiculously overpowered mecha or anything of the sort.

I'm a fan of Zegapain, but I wouldn't recommend it as a mecha show. It's basically an existentialist show with mecha tacked on. The characters are the focus much moreso than the mecha action. Same with Evangelion and RahXephon (RahXehon is excellent by the way).

If you want something ridiculously over the top, try Super Robot Wars: OG Divine Wars. I won't publically admit to liking it
Old 2009-09-11, 18:37   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
NGE isn't mecha. It's a guy off his meds working through his mommy issues. There happen to be very large not-so-mecha things that fight, sometimes, between lots of psychological navel-gazing.

That said, Rebuild of Evangelion is much, much, much more awesome than the TV series.

Gundam is the source.

I suggest:

Gundam 00 and Gundam SEED.

Gundam SEED is a retelling of the original Mobile Suit Gundam for a new generation of viewers. Very enjoyable watch and a great entry point into the Gundamverse. Good artwork and lots of beam-spam action. I personally enjoyed this one but like 00 a lot more.

Gundam 00 has a similar plot to Gundam Wing, but with ten thousand times more awesome and ten thousand times less stupid emo angst. The male characters are of course total bishies, but unlike Gundam Wing, the ladies didn't get left in the bland. Artwork is above average, especially on the mobile suits. The fight scenes are something amazing to see. The plot gets kind of murky at points but not worse than Gundam Wing.

Also, Code Geass for FABULOUS reasons. The mecha action is very Real Robot in season one, but there's a bit of a Lensman Arms Race in R2 to the point where it leaves Real Robot territory in the dust and becomes a full-on battle of the Super Prototypes. Still very enjoyable for many reasons--just don't take it seriously.

And if you can find it (this being the very hard part), FLAG is one of the best Real Robot depictions I've ever seen and also one of my favorite short animations depicting a war story. Finding it though is not especially easy... I've been searching for the DVDs for quite some time without much luck.
Old 2009-09-11, 18:55   Link #9
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

XD Evangelion is one anime you prob wont wonna watch.

very little mechs and lots of "My life sucks" psyco characters.

now Gundam 00, and G Gundam are awesome mech animes. Eureka Seven and TTGL are awesome as well.

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2009-09-11 at 20:21.
Old 2009-09-12, 00:45   Link #10
ImmortalFire

Woah, thats a lot of anime.

Hehe, thanks for all of your input guys. Ill be getting to watch a lot of these when I can.
Old 2009-09-12, 01:35   Link #11
Flame-X
Anti-fan

When you do watch Gundam SEED, just beware of the sluggish pacing in the first half of a pattern of an action ep then a teeny drama ep; repeat.

Personally I recommend watching Gundam X because out of all Gundam shows I've seen, X is the easiest to get into. It's got a very likable protagonist and an interesting universe. So give that one a chance.
Old 2009-09-12, 03:23   Link #12
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I would be remiss without also recommending Soukou no Strain. It's pretty interesting--the plot is (very loosely) based on A Little Princess. In space. With humongous mecha.

It also has one hell of a Wham Episode. And it's the first episode!

You can watch it (Japanese audio, English subs) on Funimation's website for free.
Old 2009-09-13, 04:32   Link #13
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I've posted lots of suggestions on mecha, so I'll just link it:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...36#post2434536

If that list above is not enough, just check this link of the search I did on my posts:

http://forums.animesuki.com/search.php?searchid=7908697
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-09-13, 05:34   Link #14
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Pretty much anything by Sunrise from 1979 onward. In all of my time watching their mecha anime there's still only one I could point to that I would not consider to be a good mecha series and that is of course Gundam Seed Destiny.
Old 2009-09-13, 23:06   Link #15
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Full Metal Panic / Full Metal Panic TSR
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Martian Succesor Nadesico
Old 2009-09-14, 23:33   Link #16
NoLongerSane

I would try Vandread. It has some pretty good mech action along with humor. Dual Parallel Adventures is something you might want to watch if you are looking a mech show that is not as serious as Eva. Episodes 1,4,11-14,16,21-22 of Betterman that uses some interesting abilities for their mechs. Now mentioning Overman King Gainer. Nothing catches your attention like mechs doing the monkey for it's opening.

Last edited by NoLongerSane; 2009-09-15 at 00:13.
Closed Thread