AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-07-20, 15:54   Link #1
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

best Malware/spyware software.

any suggestion, currently using norton 360 for virus. Thought it was suppose to take care the whole but someone just told me i need need a spyware/malware scanner as norton doesn't detect spyware.
Old 2010-07-20, 16:02   Link #2
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
any suggestion, currently using norton 360 for virus. Thought it was suppose to take care the whole but someone just told me i need need a spyware/malware scanner as norton doesn't detect spyware.
You know, it would be better if you put an anti-xx at the front. I was about to recommend Downadup/Conficker or Agent series of trojans. Those are annoying shit to remove.

My suggestion would be still your own discretion. That is what I used along with Malwarebytes, Spybot and MSRT. If you are running on a 32-bit system, use GMER.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 17:11   Link #3
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I just use Windows Defender.
Old 2010-07-21, 06:09   Link #4
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Malwarebytes anti-malware and superantispyware are the best to have
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 01:10   Link #5
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit version. Any recommendations for me?
Old 2010-07-24, 06:21   Link #6
Random32
Also a Lolicon

malwarebytes is good for removing stuff

btw0, I'm pretty sure Norton defends against all malware. including spyware.

btw1, you forgot the "anti-" part
if you want a good piece of spyware, writing your own reduces risk of detection
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 07:39   Link #7
demonix

Actually no anti-virus program is not capable of removing all kinds of malware and that includes the wave of fake anti-virus programs that are out there (since they are altered on a daily basis and no anti-virus can keep up with the changes) plus no anti-virus or anti-malware/spyware program can detect and remove the black internet virus since it embeds itself into the master boot record and the only way you can get rid of it is to fix the MBR through the recovery console if you have the original OS disc and if you don't there is a tool that can detect the malicious package in the MBR and restore it to it's original state (unfortunately I don't have a link to that tool at the moment).
Old 2010-07-24, 08:31   Link #8
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I wasn't specific enough
I should of said it tries to stop all malware. as in symantec doesn't ignore spyware, trojans, worms, etc and just focus on virus.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 08:43   Link #9
SageGaiGar
You are Next

What about avast?
Old 2010-07-24, 09:06   Link #10
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
What about avast?
Avast controls are something like Netnanny's but the definition files are much better than AVG's.

So yeah, it is a tradeoff - either something less annoying or something better.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 01:38   Link #11
Tsumugi~
"This guy are sick."

I use Kaspersky internet security 2011 and windows defender as my firewall. Never had problems with them!
Old 2010-07-25, 08:32   Link #12
demonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
I wasn't specific enough
I should of said it tries to stop all malware. as in symantec doesn't ignore spyware, trojans, worms, etc and just focus on virus.
And as I said no program will detect absolutely everything that is out there so it's just a case of common sense, a good kit of virus and malware detection software and script blocking tools for the browser you use (if it has one) to cover anything on hacked sites.
Old 2010-07-27, 16:43   Link #13
seven|x_x
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノ​ヽノ \ / \

i put microsoft security essentials on my client builds/repairs. MSRT automatically every month as well.

mainly i rely on MSE, but commonsense 2010 pro is always a great backup to that.

avast, malwarebytes, hijackthis are also decent programs if you dont want to leave everything in microsoft's hands.
seven|x_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 17:47   Link #14
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven|x_x View Post
mainly i rely on MSE, but commonsense 2010 pro is always a great backup to that.
Pretty much this.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 20:03   Link #15
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

What is good for anti-spyware. I used to use spybot search and destroy, but I dunno what is better than it.

I just dl'ed malwarebytes, and I use Avast for anti-virus. Avast has been great for me.

Anyone else recommend Avast? I know it has a good reputation. Is it still good? I know these things change over time.

Edit: Oh, malwarebytes is anti-spyware? That is what it seems like after checking things out. Can someone confirm this?
Old 2010-07-28, 01:47   Link #16
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Actually no anti-virus program is not capable of removing all kinds of malware and that includes the wave of fake anti-virus programs that are out there (since they are altered on a daily basis and no anti-virus can keep up with the changes) plus no anti-virus or anti-malware/spyware program can detect and remove the black internet virus since it embeds itself into the master boot record and the only way you can get rid of it is to fix the MBR through the recovery console if you have the original OS disc and if you don't there is a tool that can detect the malicious package in the MBR and restore it to it's original state (unfortunately I don't have a link to that tool at the moment).
I am almost positive that you're wrong on that statement as Avast[and some other scanners] have a function to specifically deal prevent virus from loading even in the boot record since it's on-boot/restart scan function scans before windows is loaded even, so it can catch most of those ones, I've used it to do so before on my brothers computer.

And Avast has still been doing me well lately, though haven't had a virus in a while, it has given me warning/blocking on attempts to DL something a few months ago .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 05:49   Link #17
demonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I am almost positive that you're wrong on that statement as Avast[and some other scanners] have a function to specifically deal prevent virus from loading even in the boot record since it's on-boot/restart scan function scans before windows is loaded even, so it can catch most of those ones, I've used it to do so before on my brothers computer.

And Avast has still been doing me well lately, though haven't had a virus in a while, it has given me warning/blocking on attempts to DL something a few months ago .
Your the one who's mistaken since avast's boot time scan doesn't scan the master boot record it just runs a scan before the OS is fully started.

This is the only tool that can detect the bad code in the MBR that is related to the black internet virus (and can restore the MBR back to its original state)
Old 2010-07-28, 20:43   Link #18
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

So I dl'ed that program and ran it. It said it found the MBR code in green text. I assume that means no problems. It didn't say much else, so, heh. I'm left to assume.
Old 2010-07-29, 05:34   Link #19
demonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
So I dl'ed that program and ran it. It said it found the MBR code in green text. I assume that means no problems. It didn't say much else, so, heh. I'm left to assume.
Well if it says that it's found a known bad MBR code (that being whilstler/black internet) then you should worry
Old 2010-07-29, 18:39   Link #20
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

It didn't give me an option to repair anything and it was in green text, so I assume no problems. I figure that it'd be in red text if there was a problem, and then give an option to repair, correct?

What is so bad about the black internet virus? I never heard about it before this thread.