Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-08, 00:44   Link #481
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Do tell. I always wondered how that works actually.

Also yeah wondering if this is worth it too. Some questions:

(a) do you play with other people (or is it a another solo-multiplayer-online)
(b) what's the ratio of bosses/elites to garbage-questing
(c) does it have team grind? or is it quest grind?
(d) any interesting world events, factions etc?
(e) any character customization? or just armor and other junk
a) First 20 levels can be soloed, though it will be boring. After that, you start to see alot of BAMs. You CAN solo those but a kill would take over 20 minutes and if you die, you get to start all over again. Some classes would never be able to solo a BAM. So for BAMs you go with the usual heal+tank combo.. Don't think they're still a pushover .. Some world bosses will even kill the tank while guarding with one hit if shit happens. And instances definitely are not soloable, until you are over 10 levels past it.

b) Think of quests just a bonus exp and you'll make it through.. There's plenty of BAM quests out there. There is, of course, more normal quests than BAM quests but each area typically has at least two different BAMs, sometimes even 5-6 different types which each always have a quest. There's also a repeatable suppression quest for BAMs if you prefer fighting them over normal trash.

c) What do you mean team/quest grind? This game doesn't even have grind. I've never grinded even once on TERA. Just do the story quest, and side quests that are scattered around the story quest and eventually you will be level 60.

d) Game just launched.. no events yet. There was an event in CBT where they spawned bosses at city gate but there were hundreds of players there and people with even beast gaming rigs lagged to death. If they come up with events, I hope they're something different <<.
TERA has no factions, only open world pvp with All vs. All. That is, if you roll on PvP server. PvP server is also full of gankers waiting at any pvp area to kill lowbies passing by when they have nothing better to do. Unless you're a ganker yourself, don't roll on a PvP server, the PvP is nonexistent. When I played on PvP server on CBT, I didn't have real PvP even once. Only ganking ..

e) There's the character customization at start, of course. This isn't a F2P game like Elsword or Dragon Nest, there's real customization there. Sadly Elins have their ears/tail locked to the hair type they're using.

There are slots for costume items and they can be acquired from reputation that is gained from daily quests that become accessible at level 60. You also get a Halo, Orb of Light and a Flower Band if you level your Mining, Essence Gathering and Plant Gathering to 300.

Even the basic armor in this game looks different. All armors don't just look identical meaning it's as if you never changed your armor .. Also you can use templates to have your armor look different what it normally would. Only downside of this game's customization is that all weapons use the same shape and only their texture slightly changes .. Meaning all weapons look pretty much identical
Old 2012-05-08, 00:44   Link #482
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Just started playing Berzerker, holy **** it kills so much faster than Lancer. Thunder Strike is... wow. And then there's Cyclone for clearing out little guys.

Jesus. ._.

Dist - only Sorc discs mostly look the same. Lancer shields actually change shape! And Berserker axes get noticeably more impressive looking, especially on my Aman.

Also I personally think it starts getting a little grindy at level 40-ish. Sure, you get more quests with bonus exp, but at this point if you aren't a DPS class you're looking at taking quite a while to kill all the monsters. They start dodging more frequently at this point too, and hit harder. Of course if you party up it goes by really quick, and you get bonus exp for partying too (like a 10% bonus to monster kill exp or something, I dunno)

EDIT: Crafting in this game sucks. The stuff you make sucks for the amount of materials you put in it. Of course, the best weapons are made through crafting but that's at like skill level 400 and the highest "training" level goes only to 250, so you gotta grind out crafts from there, and it takes gazillions of runes to level it.
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 00:58   Link #483
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Alchemy is still worthwhile. Selling consumables always keeps the gold rolling in. I partially leveled tailoring because every crafted piece of armor is eligible as a template for item remodeling... and hoo boy are a lot of elin robes fugly.
Old 2012-05-08, 01:50   Link #484
Mow Yun

I do have alchemy leveled. Outside of potions it doesn't seem all that great. But we will see, I guess. I suppose dyes might be good.
Old 2012-05-08, 01:56   Link #485
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Alchemy in MMO's has always been a generally safe bet. Pretty much anything that's consumable (alchemy, ammo, enchants) will always have a market. Armor is much harder to move and reaches its saturation point much faster than consumables. Armor usefullness tends to be limited by content updates and raid progressions, while Alchemy will always have use at any level.
Old 2012-05-08, 02:14   Link #486
Westlo
Lets be reality

Omg wish I knew this before... from gaf/reddit

If you ever run out of teleport scroll, you can use the unstuck "function" to teleport to the nearest town. Or you can be a cheap [filtered] and use it on every cool down
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 02:17   Link #487
Dist

^I thought everyone knew that. It's not really an unstuck function either.. Why would unstuck move you to closest town? In CBT it was truly an unstuck, it would only move you couple metres to the side or something.

I always use that because it's instant and I don't have to carry scrolls with me. I only carry Velika, Allemantheia and Kaiator scrolls.

Also something funny on yesterday's guild chat ... Most people didn't seem to know what TERA means .. I wonder how many in this thread do? TERA isn't this game's name, the real name is The Exiled Realms of Arborea ..
Old 2012-05-08, 02:46   Link #488
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

As probably the only non-playing member of this thread, based on everyone ss, it really amused me how TERA seemed to be Elin Online considering how everyone picked this loli races as their mains.

...so much that at one point, i thought early weeks only allow you to pick Elin
Old 2012-05-08, 02:54   Link #489
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
As probably the only non-playing member of this thread,
*raises hand*

Another non-player here, missed the beta so I'm waiting for a trial or something similar to try the game before I buy it.

Also took a glance at the European TERA website, and good grief we drew the short straw as usual.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 02:59   Link #490
Mow Yun

Quote:
As probably the only non-playing member of this thread, based on everyone ss, it really amused me how TERA seemed to be Elin Online considering how everyone picked this loli races as their mains.

...so much that at one point, i thought early weeks only allow you to pick Elin
My Berserker is an Aman... (but my Lancer is Elin)
Old 2012-05-08, 03:09   Link #491
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I'm assuming you can set custom titles, otherwise the 'achievement' to earn this one is must be interesting.

Old 2012-05-08, 03:59   Link #492
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Sometimes I'm honestly embarrassed to play an Elin because of all the crap that they get... Playing them reminds me of being an anime fan in real life -- the bad rep that those who fit the negative stereotype give the rest of us makes me ashamed of admitting that I like it to others. :/

Anyway, I like to counter the Elin banter by saying that Castanics are dirty sluts, High Elves are pompous narcissistic assholes, Humans are worthless slave pigs, and Amani are overgrown lizards. It soothes my ego, whether I'm RPing or not. <3

My alts are also a variety of races, and I love them all equally! (That and I like to say that I technically have 3 mains, but that's a story for another time.)
Old 2012-05-08, 04:03   Link #493
Dist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I'm assuming you can set custom titles, otherwise the 'achievement' to earn this one is must be interesting.
Titles like that are guild titles. Everyone in that guild will have that title if not set to an achievement title, just like ours is Final Boss.. (No idea who came up with that, personally I find that title retarded..)
Old 2012-05-08, 04:37   Link #494
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This has probably been discussed but I just noticed it.

I went to gamestop.com and I can either buy a physical package kit of the game for $49.99.......... or I can buy a digital download for $49.99. One comes with actual physical *stuff*, the other is completely "imaginary".

Seriously? Same price? o.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan
Anyway, I like to counter the Elin banter by saying that Castanics are dirty sluts, High Elves are pompous narcissistic assholes, Humans are worthless slave pigs, and Amani are overgrown lizards. It soothes my ego, whether I'm RPing or not. <3
This is beautiful and I may borrow it

Will definitely be on Celestial Hills unless they lock the server population. Will probably start playing in about a week (traveling this week).

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-05-08 at 04:47.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 04:46   Link #495
Dist

^Digital and physical stuff has always been like that in MMOs from what I've seen. Some shops sell the digital for lower than the 49.99 that is in EME shop tho.

Are you planning to play on PVP or PVE server Vexx?
Old 2012-05-08, 04:50   Link #496
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
^Digital and physical stuff has always been like that in MMOs from what I've seen. Some shops sell the digital for lower than the 49.99 that is in EME shop tho.

Are you planning to play on PVP or PVE server Vexx?
I usually end up with at least one character on a PvP just for grins but most of my time in an MMO is spent doing things like Syn and Kereko are talking about - roleplaying. So Celestial Hills is probably my natural destination.

Yeah... you're right on pricing, but it was just a sort of... "hey.... wait a minute." moment. Hopefully, a physical copy at least saves me a few gigabytes in data transfer.
Old 2012-05-08, 04:52   Link #497
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Something just happened and now half the servers are offline despite EME saying maintenance was canceled. Oh well, it's late anyway, I should really go to bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Sometimes I'm honestly embarrassed to play an Elin because of all the crap that they get... Playing them reminds me of being an anime fan in real life -- the bad rep that those who fit the negative stereotype give the rest of us makes me ashamed of admitting that I like it to others. :/
I don't get much of the elin hate that other people seem to complain of. I think it's because I took the official description of Badass Adorable and just ran with it. I don't use the emotes a lot and my character speaks very formally, rather coldly and doesn't take guff from nobody. I know you seem to play your character the same general way--I haven't actually had the chance to RP with you so I'm not completely sure, though.

There are a lot of people RPing elin as they "look" rather than what the lore says. While I'm not completely opposed to that--I'm not going to sit here and tell someone how they have to RP, of course--but I thought the whole "cute yet badass" description of the elin is really what ultimately made me decide on them over human (my usual race choice in MMOs).

Plus I really like the combat animations for sorcerer. The elin sorcs are very acrobatic and do a lot of flips and pretty exhibits of athletic awesome.
Old 2012-05-08, 05:05   Link #498
Dist

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

Plus I really like the combat animations for sorcerer. The elin sorcs are very acrobatic and do a lot of flips and pretty exhibits of athletic awesome.
Gotta love the sorc animations indeed. I chose Elin because well.. They're cute. That's all. I always play a female in MMO's anyway, but most don't have a loli option..

But yeah.. I now only quest with a friend that is also a sorcerer.. We can kill pretty much anything with two Overchanneled, Celerified Fireblast's .. So quests take couple minutes at most. Anyway, I've noticed how bland human movements are as a sorcerer as opposed to Elins who flip and move around a lot. I especially love their animation for Fireblast where it looks like their hand generate fire, the disc in middle spins and strengthens it and thus envelopes the Elin before blasting away. I can't remember on top of my head how Humans looked like on FB but it wasn't anything special.
Old 2012-05-08, 05:09   Link #499
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

When I first got Fireblast I turned my guild note to "VTOL loli" for a long time due to the casting animation.
Old 2012-05-08, 05:42   Link #500
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

The animations for elin and popori slayers is cute, they use the sword to do their dodge :Heh: the popori lift them self up and shoot them self over it like gymnastics.