Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post
Oh what the hell, you can glomp me, w/e. 8DD
Omg! *-*
*glomps*

Quote:
Well, i will just say, that Lelouch chose this, he wanted to become carnage incarnate to bring a new era. But he did commit atrocities, and for this, he "deserved" to get punished. Then again, if i start counting how many people in Geass fall to this category and got no shit, i will take back what i just said now. 8D
It can be a double-edged-sword, indeed.
Yep, world peace in Code Geass would be pretty silent if everyone who commited notable crimes got punished for it. And probably also pretty short, because there aren't many political figures who'd still be able to stay in office.
Also, I still don't believe in this "deserving" thing - punishment should either keep someone safe or help making someone see the error of their ways, and with Lelouch, neither is really necessary.
Old 2009-07-07, 13:39   Link #4462
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
bladeofdarkness seems to think it's not okay to like someone because they're a cold-blooded murderous bastard of the highest order.

Why?

I watch Monster, I love Johann, he's the epitome of the implacable villain. I love Darth Vader. I love Kefka (so delightfully insane), plenty of fangirls like Sephiroth. I like Prince Ali, hell there's a lot of villains I like.

The entire cast of Black Lagoon are evil as hell, but I love them all just the same, especially the most ruthless of the main females, Balalaika.

It's not a bad thing to enjoy an evil character in fiction. I am not trying to say that Lelouch was a good guy. He wasn't. Toward the end of R2, he was even less of a good guy. Do I agree with his method of attaining peace? No, I don't. I think in the real world it'd fail pretty epically--after Lelouch dies, eventually those united would start fighting again as soon as it was safe to do so. That's a bit of a wallbanger for me.

However, Lelouch is not as evil as Schneizel. Schneizel wanted to rule the world through fear and subjugation as a nuke-launching airborne God. Lelouch is not as evil as Charles. Charles wanted to forcibly remove the individuality of the entire human race, which would not lead to the peace he and Marianne imagined. It would lead to billions of people suddenly going murderously insane. It would wipe us out in an eyeblink.

Lelouch is evil, but he's less evil than the other big evils. That doesn't make him good, it just makes him not as bad. We're not saying Lelouch is good. That'd be like saying Revy is good because she kills a lot of bad people, which is so hilariously wrong it's not even funny.
Old 2009-07-07, 13:45   Link #4463
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
bladeofdarkness seems to think it's not okay to like someone because they're a cold-blooded murderous bastard of the highest order.

Why?

I watch Monster, I love Johann, he's the epitome of the implacable villain. I love Darth Vader. I love Kefka (so delightfully insane), plenty of fangirls like Sephiroth. I like Prince Ali, hell there's a lot of villains I like.

The entire cast of Black Lagoon are evil as hell, but I love them all just the same, especially the most ruthless of the main females, Balalaika.

It's not a bad thing to enjoy an evil character in fiction. I am not trying to say that Lelouch was a good guy. He wasn't. Toward the end of R2, he was even less of a good guy. Do I agree with his method of attaining peace? No, I don't. I think in the real world it'd fail pretty epically--after Lelouch dies, eventually those united would start fighting again as soon as it was safe to do so. That's a bit of a wallbanger for me.

However, Lelouch is not as evil as Schneizel. Schneizel wanted to rule the world through fear and subjugation as a nuke-launching airborne God. Lelouch is not as evil as Charles. Charles wanted to forcibly remove the individuality of the entire human race, which would not lead to the peace he and Marianne imagined. It would lead to billions of people suddenly going murderously insane. It would wipe us out in an eyeblink.

Lelouch is evil, but he's less evil than the other big evils. That doesn't make him good, it just makes him not as bad. We're not saying Lelouch is good. That'd be like saying Revy is good because she kills a lot of bad people, which is so hilariously wrong it's not even funny.
It is fiction, certain charas will appeal to someone, because of reason a + reason b. And lately, it seems that the "bad" guys, are more charming. They can be evil, but they have weaknesses, that make them way more interesting than the usual-hero-type.

p.s the real Monster of the series, was actually Johan's mother, but yes, Johan was pretty much devil himself in a way, but not 100%. //Kefka, yeah, was a clear prick though, haha.
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 13:57   Link #4464
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

It's nice to see media play around with different protagonist archetypes. The classical hero and the tragic hero are obviously used constantly, along with the more recent inclusion of the anti-hero and the reluctant hero.

I'm not a fan of the tired and cliche 90s era anti-hero, but I love a good villain protagonist. It's really not hard to write convincingly if they live in a world where there's only varying shades of gray.

Lelouch is interesting because he's a villain protagonist in a world where there isn't just gray, but black and white as well. He clearly goes against good people and that brings a level of depth to the story that other stories don't have. You root for him, you are meant to like him, but at the same time you have to weigh those feelings with the various very bad things he may do. And Lelouch does a lot of very, very bad things.

... but he manages to do them with such style and flair (not to mention a nice big serving of HAM)...
Old 2009-07-07, 16:45   Link #4465
Charred Knight

Quote:

Why?

Here's the thing if you read interviews Okouchi basically states that Lelouch was the good guy. Basically where supposed to agree with Lelouch's actions, and see all those people who Lelouch killed as necessary sacrifices.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 16:47   Link #4466
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
Here's the thing if you read interviews Okouchi basically states that Lelouch was the good guy. Basically where supposed to agree with Lelouch's actions, and see all those people who Lelouch killed as necessary sacrifices.
Ahh, no, they just implied that Lelouch had not had a "bad-villain" heart. Which was obvious anyway.
Old 2009-07-07, 16:47   Link #4467
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
I thought it was more "he comes off as the good guy because the story is told from his POV."
Old 2009-07-07, 16:50   Link #4468
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:

Why?.
did you see gundam SEED ?
a simple yes or no please
Old 2009-07-07, 16:56   Link #4469
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I haven't watched it, no. It's on my list of things to watch, just haven't gotten to it yet. I kind of gave up Gundam for a while after the horrible abomination that is Gundam Wing and didn't get back into it until I recently saw Gundam 00.
Old 2009-07-07, 16:57   Link #4470
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

A)watch it
B)you just screwed up my anaology a bit
let me rephrase

have you watched bleach ?
Old 2009-07-07, 16:58   Link #4471
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
did you see gundam SEED ?
a simple yes or no please
Ah, that again. This is getting old blade, honest.
Old 2009-07-07, 17:01   Link #4472
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Ah, that again. This is getting old blade, honest.
its not old unless it sinks in
Old 2009-07-07, 17:01   Link #4473
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
I thought it was more "he comes off as the good guy because the story is told from his POV."
So your saying if we got the camera off of Lelouch and started showing all of the massacres the Britannians are doing in depth than Lelouch wouldn't look so good?

That's like saying the reason Nazi Germany was considered bad is because the Americans just wrote World War II from their point of view.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 17:01   Link #4474
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Bleach really isn't my cup of tea. No, I haven't watched it either. I don't watch much shonen martial arts type anime. I prefer stories with a more political, social or psychological bent. Mnemosyne and Black Lagoon are my two exceptions, but they're more seinen bait than anything.
Old 2009-07-07, 17:03   Link #4475
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

have you watched braveheart then ?
Old 2009-07-07, 17:03   Link #4476
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
its not old unless it sinks in
Ah, it is already sank. I can use a million of other anime to show that "ZOMG THEY STOLE IDEAS" Again, everything has been done in a way, nothing to look into there.

Charred, stop comparing extremist examples to fiction, for the love of Dear God.
Old 2009-07-07, 17:04   Link #4477
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

nothing to do with that actually
this is strictly about lelouch
Old 2009-07-07, 17:05   Link #4478
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
nothing to do with that actually
this is strictly about lelouch
Really? Explain it then, so we can all enlighten ourselves.
Old 2009-07-07, 17:06   Link #4479
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Really? Explain it then, so we can all enlighten ourselves.
i will
once synaesthetic answers me
Old 2009-07-07, 17:07   Link #4480
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
i will
once synaesthetic answers me
Well, i ask you then, reply to me.