AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-05-08, 10:21   Link #1
Apathy
does not compute

Laptop recommendation

I hope this sort of thing is allowed here- please inform me if not, and I'll delete the thread.

In any case, it's as the subject says, really. As my current laptop could be considered to be getting on in years somewhat, and as quite a few people here seem to be knowledgeable about these things, I was wondering whether anyone could recommend a laptop. I’m afraid that I’m not tech-savvy at all, so I probably won’t be able to go into detail about what it is that I’m looking for, but I’ll try.

- Usage-wise, I think I’d mainly use my laptop for schoolwork and general stuff (word processor, Internet, the like). Being able to watch high-quality videos would be nice, although I don’t know if the ones I currently have count as HD fansubs.
- I don’t really play games on my computer (unless you count something like The Sims 2), so that probably isn’t an issue.
- I probably couldn’t be considered a serious user of Photoshop, but I do like using it, and have been informed that some computers won’t support it. (My current computer can use it despite that, although it sometimes doesn’t seem that happy about it). Basically, I’d be looking for a computer that you can use Photoshop on, whatever that entails for the GPU/CPU.
- I’d prefer if it didn’t weigh too much. |’D
- A good keyboard would be nice (nothing special, but not awful). I’d prefer no number pad, admittedly.
- Something around Intel Core 2 CPU would be good.
- Memory is quite important, but most laptops seem to have pretty high memory nowadays (?), so I don’t think that’ll be any trouble.
- Around a five-hour battery life would probably be fine.
- I’m used to a 1280x800 resolution, but they don’t seem to make them that size anymore. ;

I was thinking that something by Toshiba or Asus would be good, but I’m open to anything reliable/sturdy, really. I hope I'm not asking for anything too contradictory, and thank you in advance. |D

EDIT: I was thinking that this (Toshiba Satellite M500-ST54E1) looked quite good, and was wondering how it did in terms of what I'm looking for (re. the GPU and the like).

Last edited by Apathy; 2010-05-10 at 01:22.
Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-08, 16:33   Link #2
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
It's hard to recommend something if we don't know your budget.
Old 2010-05-09, 00:54   Link #3
Apathy
does not compute

I think my budget's around US$1000-1250, if that helps?
Old 2010-05-10, 02:17   Link #4
StudioJC
Loser-Bum

I cannot recommend a maker or model since there's just way too many of them out on the market right now.

However, I can give you some tips on what to look for in the specs.

Don't worry, these are almost always shown on the model page of the maker's site.

-Photoshop doesn't require a dedicated GPU so a run of the mill Intel onboard video (I forgot the model) will work. However, Sims 2 will not work on the aforementioned onboard video. It requires a dedicated video card or at least some other onboard video (different Intel model or otherwise).

-Get the most cells for your laptop. You can probably have them changed in the site, but more or less, big batteries aren't stock so you have to buy a separate bigger one (unless it's bought at a site where you can customize it).

-videos particularly, H264 mkv videos just require the processor. Core 2 will work. Just remember to check the L2 Cache of the cpu. Make sure that it's at least 1mb. I'm assuming that you're watching the 720p videos and not the 1080p ones since this is a laptop after all. 1080p will require a lot more juice.

-Display and looks-wise, the best thing to do is to go to the shop and check the laptop yourself. The display and the form of the laptop cannot be judged through a picture in the reviews. You should also consider matte and gloss. Matte doesn't have that glass shield of sorts in the lcd while gloss has it. Gloss has glare but it's shiny while matte isn't. Different people like different things.

-For the display check for bleedings. Bleeding is where you can feel that the lcd bulb isn't spreading properly. Hence your display looks dim on the sides and bright at the center which will royally suck even though review sites are saying that it's tolerable.

-Since you're looking for something light, I'm assuming that you can bear looking at a small display. You have to consider the native resolution. If you don't know what native resolution means, try changing your monitor's resolution to something else besides 1280x800. See how it looks like crap (assuming that you're using lcd)? Imagine the size of your text at native and feel if you are comfortable with it. That or, you can adjust gradually to the shrinkage. It's not hard adapting.

-You probably forgot about onboard connectors. These things are very important unless you like hauling external connectors (which adds to the weight and wire clutter).

The connectors are
-e-sata (for external hard-drives just in-case you need extra space.
-hd connector (forgot what it's called but you'll need this if you want to connect it to an hd-tv)
-number of usb ports (for the mouse as well as some other things just in case)
-memory card reader (it should use the cards that you're using. I have an 8 in 1 card reader on my laptop but none of the 8 works with the cards that I have)
-The less dangly wired parts the better

-Get as much hard drive space as possible. If your chosen make and model has a hard drive dock to replace the optical drive then that's much better. You'll need the space far more than you'll need the dvds/blu-ray since you can do your installs via lan.

-Keyboard-wise, I find the Thinkpad's keyboard-feel to be the best. However, it doesn't mean you'll like the rest of it.

Personally, I'd recommend a smaller Dell XPS even though I'm a Lenovo user (I like it pure-black). It will suit your Sims 2 gaming needs as well as provide you with enough juice to not feel some regrets. Keep in mind though that laptop buying is considered a personal thing. I just replied to you to give you the condensed tips on what to look out for.

It's about compromise and trying it for yourself.

Sorry for the long post. I just don't want other folks to have regrets when they buy a laptop.
StudioJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-10, 07:49   Link #5
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
-Photoshop doesn't require a dedicated GPU so a run of the mill Intel onboard video (I forgot the model) will work. However, Sims 2 will not work on the aforementioned onboard video. It requires a dedicated video card or at least some other onboard video (different Intel model or otherwise).
Actually, later versions of Photoshop, namely CS4 and the newly released CS5 can accelerate Photoshop with OpenGL. So, if you are a heavy Photoshop user, you probably want a ATi or nVidia graphics card to take advantage of GPU acceleration.

However, if you planning to use the computer for a long time, stay away from Dell and HP Consumer models as they tend to break easily. I owned these laptops in the past and they barely last 2 years. If you want quality, go for the more reliable brands or a Latitude/Thinkpad.
Old 2010-05-10, 10:47   Link #6
StudioJC
Loser-Bum

I see. However, I don't think that there are laptops with Quadro on.
StudioJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-10, 11:10   Link #7
Apathy
does not compute

Thanks for the replies. |D

Regarding Photoshop, I do use it quite a bit- however, I think I have quite an old version of Photoshop (CS Premium), given that I got it quite a while ago. Would that make a difference, necessarily?

As for running Sims 2, I take it that the Intel Core 2 series wouldn't work? I was thinking about going with that otherwise, though. I only play it on and off, though, so perhaps Photoshop is the bigger priority (nice as it is to be able to play it).

I am hoping that the computer will last a long time, too, so a reliable brand would be good. Again, I'm considering a Toshiba, or maybe a Thinkpad (I haven't seen any Asus models around the shops, for some reason). I'll look into the Dell XPS.

I'll try to keep those specs in mind, in any case. Thanks again.
Old 2010-05-10, 11:28   Link #8
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
As for running Sims 2, I take it that the Intel Core 2 series wouldn't work?
I have played Sims 2 on my Macbook Pro (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz and nVidia Geforce 9600m GT) on Windows 7 on 64-bit and I haven't really had any problems with it. They say that it won't work on 64-bit Windows and dual core processors since Sims 2 only uses one processor, but I haven't notice any hiccups at all and it ran smoothly. However, Sims 3 officially supports 64-bit Windows and Dual Core processors.
Old 2010-05-11, 09:52   Link #9
Apathy
does not compute

Ah, I see. So that might end up being alright, at least. If the Photoshop isn't a particularly new version, would it still require an ATI or nVidia GPU to run?

I guess, if it's difficult to recommend something, I'm mainly looking for advice as to whether what I'm considering matches what I'm looking for. Having said that, I haven't really drawn up a concrete list yet (and only have really have the specifications as to what it is I'm looking for), so that's not very helpful. orz

I'm planning to see what's available tomorrow, so maybe I'll have a better idea then, though. Regarding models, I'm still leaning towards a Toshiba or a Thinkpad, so I'll probably mainly be looking at those.
Old 2010-05-11, 12:57   Link #10
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Not required for older versions (CS3 or older), but its best to have a basic nVidia or ATi Graphics Card if you want to upgrade to CS5 later on. Also, having these cards will make the interface a bit more responsive with Aero and stuff since Intel Graphics aren't really the best as they are bottom of the barrel when it comes with 3D stuff.

Haven't try Sims 2 on the newest Intel Graphics, but I don't think it will run great, especially if you want to use higher graphics settings.
Old 2010-05-11, 17:44   Link #11
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Photoshop CS4 and CS5 support GPU compute functions, but it's through OpenCL, not through CUDA or Stream, so you can have any video card that supports GPGPU functions. Unfortunately, most of Intel's IGPs do not support GPGPU functions--if at all, they support only DirectCompute. It will likely stay that way unless Larrabee somehow gets revived (doubtful).

If you get a Windows laptop, go for either nvidia Optimus (which dynamically switches between the Intel HD Graphics IGP and the nvidia discrete graphics) or something with one of the new Mobility Radeon 5000 series. The new Mobility Radeons are very power-efficient compared to their nvidia equivalent.

The Mobility Radeon 5650 in my laptop has a lower power envelope than that of the equivalent nvidia GPU, the GT 335M.

Anyway, since you don't really game, you have lots of options. Since a gaming GPU isn't required, you can pick up a business-grade laptop and get away with a great keyboard and great durability for a good price.

I would suggest taking a look at Thinkpads. A T410 would probably suit you just fine, and it can be outfitted with a Quadro NVS 3100M which should give you ample GPGPU power for most Photoshop tasks. It's the business equivalent of a G 210M, so it should also play The Sims without trouble.

You might also want to look at Apple, as well. While I do not like them personally, they have generally higher quality LCDs than other laptops.
Old 2010-05-11, 18:35   Link #12
Random32
Also a Lolicon

The Thinkpad T410 has a Core i5/7 processor and optional NVS3100M. With the 9 cell battery, battery life lasts far more than your required 5 hr. Thinkpad means the legendary Thinkpad keyboard too.

I would stay away from Apple since the only thing they have in your price range is the MacBookPro 13 inch equipped with a last gen Core 2 duo and integrated graphics only. Though battery life is good, its non-replaceable so you can't pack an extra battery for times when you need time between power sockets.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 22:01   Link #13
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
The Thinkpad T410 has a Core i5/7 processor and optional NVS3100M. With the 9 cell battery, battery life lasts far more than your required 5 hr. Thinkpad means the legendary Thinkpad keyboard too.

I would stay away from Apple since the only thing they have in your price range is the MacBookPro 13 inch equipped with a last gen Core 2 duo and integrated graphics only. Though battery life is good, its non-replaceable so you can't pack an extra battery for times when you need time between power sockets.
More Anti-Apple FUD... The nVidia Geforce 320m (better than Intel Integrated Graphics) on that is powerful enough to run Photoshop and do some basic gaming at decent framerates, but there are better options out there that have more power with similar or better specs. Also, there isn't really much an advantage to having multiple batteries if you have the machine plugged into the wall most of the time and it is less of the issue because of the long battery. I don't even think that most will even use their computers for 10 hours (theoretical battery life) straight as they will be plugged in before the battery goes dead.

Thinkpad is a solid choice, however...
Old 2010-05-12, 10:19   Link #14
Apathy
does not compute

Thanks for the opinions, again. Looked at the laptops available (at least in one place) today, and do think that the Thinkpad T410 sounds good. There were some other ones there (one Toshiba, the rest Lenovo/Thinkpad) that I was considering as well, though, so I guess it's just a case of narrowing it down now.

I think they all have the necessary connectors and a DVD/CD drive, so that should be fine (they also all seem to have some form of Windows 7). Again, any input would be appreciated (I'm not that clear on processors and the like).

The ones I'm considering are:

Spoiler for Length:

Sorry for the long post. ; Also, I'm assuming that Thinkpad/Lenovo are reliable?
Old 2010-05-12, 13:16   Link #15
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I wouldn't want to do photo editing on a 13" MBP. Too small screen, not enough pixels. I'd want at least a 15" lappy with 1680x1050 (16:10) or 1920x1080 (16:9) if I was doing a lot of Photoshop.

Thinkpad is very reliable, though less so if you go outside of the T or X series. Don't bother with the Edge or SL Thinkpads. They're junk.

If you get the T410, it should have Arrandale processors, not Penryn. The one you listed with Core 2 Duo (Penryn) is probably a T400, which is not a bad choice especially if you can find one for a good price. I would suggest getting the WLED high-contrast 1440x900 screen upgrade, though, because the default 1280x800 CCFL panel on the T4xx is of very lackluster quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
More Anti-Apple FUD... The nVidia Geforce 320m (better than Intel Integrated Graphics) on that is powerful enough to run Photoshop and do some basic gaming at decent framerates, but there are better options out there that have more power with similar or better specs. Also, there isn't really much an advantage to having multiple batteries if you have the machine plugged into the wall most of the time and it is less of the issue because of the long battery. I don't even think that most will even use their computers for 10 hours (theoretical battery life) straight as they will be plugged in before the battery goes dead.
The nvidia GT 320M is pretty bad in Windows, don't know about OSX though. I know some HP laptops come with the GT 320M and it's awful, all kinds of driver problems, games crashing, etc.
Old 2010-05-12, 14:43   Link #16
Random32
Also a Lolicon

T410 should have a Core i3/5/7, you were probably looking at a T400

the SL and Edge models are junk compared to the T/X series, but compared to other stuff they do much better
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 09:08   Link #17
Apathy
does not compute

If that's the case, might cross the SL and Edge off the list, then. ; I guess that just leaves the Satellite, the T400, and the Lenovo. How is a Lenovo compared to a Thinkpad (they seem to be by the same company, but that probably doesn't necessarily make them similar)? Likewise, how is a Toshiba compared to the two of them?

I'm not that sure about which specifications would be better (out of the three of them), to be honest, but I suppose it might ultimately come down to that, too. I was under the impression that an Intel Core i5 was slightly less powerful than a Core 2 Duo, although I could be wrong?
Old 2010-05-14, 15:48   Link #18
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Lenovo's Ideapad line are not as well-constructed as the Thinkpad line. The new Ideapads are pretty good deals, but they are a little weird. The Fn and Ctrl keys are swapped from their position on normal keyboards and that can be very irritating. They also have glossy screens, which may be a dealbreaker for some.

And no, an Arrandale Core i5 is much more powerful than an equivalent Core 2 Duo. They are faster per-clock and also have dynamic overclocking with Turbo Boost when they aren't utilizing all cores. Arrandale processors also have Hyperthreading, which lets them pretend to be a quad-core CPU in well-threaded applications.

The Core i5-430M at 2.26GHz (the lowest available mobile i5) in my laptop is around as powerful as a Core 2 Duo T9900 at 3.06GHz (though the T9900 has the cache advantage). It's a lot faster than the clock-equivalent Core 2 Duo T6600.

Last edited by synaesthetic; 2010-05-14 at 16:14.
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 08:33   Link #19
Apathy
does not compute

Ah, I see. Thanks for telling me.

Given that an i5 is more powerful than a Core 2 Duo, I guess it would make sense to try to get something with that, if possible. With that having been said, though, I'm not that sure about a Lenovo, which seems to be the only one I have listed with an i5. (Is the one listed an Ideapad?).

On the other hand, as the T410 Thinkpad apparently has an i5 (given that I listed the T400 by mistake), I guess I could go for that. Still not sure about how it compares to the Toshiba Satellite, though.
Old 2010-05-15, 11:36   Link #20
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

A T410 configured at a $1234.00 price point should last you a great many years, both technologically and physically.

Specs are below:
Intel Core i5-520M Processor (2.40GHz, 3MB L3, 1066MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows 7 Professional x64
14.1 WXGA+ (1440x900) TFT, w/ LED Backlight (WWAN antenna)
Intel HD Graphics
4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
320 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
9 cell 2.8Ah Li-Ion Battery - Dual Mode
Country Pack North America with Line cord & 65W AC adapter
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000

Hardly a gaming powerhouse but I don't consider the Quadro NVS 3100M to be worth what Lenovo charges for it ($100 extra for what's essentially a G 310M with worse-performing drivers? No thanks). The Arrandale on-package IGP should be sufficient for light casual gaming--it typically scores 1600-1900 on 3DMark06, making it just slightly weaker than the nvidia 9400M integrated GPU.

In terms of how this compares to the Toshiba... it blows it away, pretty much. Of course, it is more expensive, but you're paying for quality here. If your computational needs don't increase very fast (and since you're not gaming, they should not) this computer will last you five years or more, easy.

Sometimes I wish I didn't care about gaming just so I could get something like this and never feel GPU limited. I wish even more that I could have a laptop that's basically a Thinkpad with a gaming GPU in it. There's a market for "boring" and well-built gaming laptops, I know. I can't count how many times I've seen posts on notebookreview and the like complaining about the childish and OTT design of gaming laptops and the poor build quality...