Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2008-11-08, 23:10   Link #5161
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Post As for some others

I don't, as many non-Americans (some would say as a French, ok yeah... ) all around the world, think I have to show any restraint when I say I was very happy to see someone who can actually talk and think like the president of this great country, for his people, also understanding much more is at stake. And the 4mins of silence CNN kept, leaving the noise to the crowd, is one of the most moving time on TV in years, or decades.
Anyways
I suppose lots have been said here, so I'll just repeat. Let's not hope too much either. He's just a politician after all. Downfall would hurt like hell.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 23:22   Link #5162
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Obama promised a lot of things. The fact that he has bitten off more than he can very well chew will determine his place in history as a great leader or another screw up. If he can pull it all off, he will go down as one of the best, if not, he could also be remembered as one of the worst.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 23:26   Link #5163
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb View Post
Obama promised a lot of things. The fact that he has bitten off more than he can very well chew will determine his place in history as a great leader or another screw up. If he can pull it all off, he will go down as one of the best, if not, he could also be remembered as one of the worst.
Actually, popular perception and scholarly perception could differ by quite a bit. Kennedy's presidency was actually not rated very highly by historians, but in popular imagination, he's up there.

My hope is that when he turns 80, he'll be able to read comments from both the public and scholars that he had joined the ranks of Washington (ok, maybe that's too high up), Lincoln or FDR.
Old 2008-11-08, 23:28   Link #5164
einhorn303

"Transition advisers to President-elect Barack Obama have compiled a list of about 200 Bush administration actions and executive orders that could be swiftly undone to reverse White House policies on climate change, stem cell research, reproductive rights and other issues, according to congressional Democrats, campaign aides and experts working with the transition team."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 23:30   Link #5165
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Only 200? I thought there would be more, especially in the last 60 days, things will happen.
Old 2008-11-09, 00:05   Link #5166
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I figure there are two hundred *agencies* that need massive repair in terms of ousting the thugs appointed to break them and trying to restore the expertise that left in disgust over eight years.
Old 2008-11-09, 00:22   Link #5167
solomon

I expect things from Mr. Obama but I also expect things from the congress AND the populace. I don't expect the government to solve all the problems even if a am somewhat of a liberal/progressive in ideology. People have said we need to learn to "live within our means" I agree in a general sense, but where exactly do you think the populace should begin to do that.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 02:34   Link #5168
Autumn Demon
~

Obama likely to win Nebraska's 2nd Congressional District electoral college vote.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 02:40   Link #5169
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Now that the prophecies, etc, started to appear in the news once again, I wonder if Obama's actions would trigger another world war, what would people think of him compared to Bush? You cannot be considered any worse than Bush, right, no matter what happens?
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 02:52   Link #5170
solomon

That seemed to be just like Obama's and Dems win in Iowa, mainly centering on Urban areas, of which there are MUCH more in Iowa it seems.
Old 2008-11-09, 02:53   Link #5171
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
Now that the prophecies, etc, started to appear in the news once again, I wonder if Obama's actions would trigger another world war, what would people think of him compared to Bush? You cannot be considered any worse than Bush, right, no matter what happens?
Obama's actions currently seem to indicate better, not worse, international relations, so I have no idea where this "world war" idea is coming from. Bush pretty screwed himself over with the so-called 'Bush Doctrine', and his blatant dismissal of the UN.

Also, don't forget that Obama's not even in office yet. Bush is still holding the reins, and if anything happens between now and the inauguration, he still needs to be held accountable.
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 03:27   Link #5172
james0246

Quote:
LOL, optimistic aren't you ? I am unsure of what strange scenario you have concocted that has Obama leading the United States into starting a World War (America has never started a world war, so you must be thinking up some serious shit to have Obama be the one to start the next "Great" War). But, if Obama did start such a conflict, then he would undoubtedly go down in history as one of the worst if not the worst (depending on the severity of the war) Presidents in history, hell he would be one of the worst leaders in history. (Nero played the fiddle when Rome burned; Obama played with his Goldendoodle while he launched The Bomb (this was the closest I could come up with in regards to whatever sick fantasy you have ).)

That being said, Obama would literally have to try his hardest to start a World War. I mean, if Bush can get away with fucking over Iraq without the world threatening any action, Obama would literally have to launch a Nuclear Weapon somewhere before anyone would ask the UN to stop America.

So, sorry to say, I am not expecting Obama to kill us all any time soon. Maybe you will be lucky and Bush will help in your end of the world scenario, otherwise, you might have to wait for Palin to be elected in 2016 .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 03:52   Link #5173
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
LOL, optimistic aren't you ? I am unsure of what strange scenario you have concocted that has Obama leading the United States into starting a World War (America has never started a world war, so you must be thinking up some serious shit to have Obama be the one to start the next "Great" War).
Well there IS one possibility for Obama to start a war....he just needs Gundams to come down from outer space to start armed interventions, then wait until the right moment to lead the nations of the world into fighting together and neutralizing them, then setting up a global Earth Federation with himself as President 00bama.

Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 03:57   Link #5174
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
I expect things from Mr. Obama but I also expect things from the congress AND the populace. I don't expect the government to solve all the problems even if a am somewhat of a liberal/progressive in ideology. People have said we need to learn to "live within our means" I agree in a general sense, but where exactly do you think the populace should begin to do that.
This would hurt. The American Dream would be down-sized. People would have to learn that no, it is not ok to have a mortgage with no payment down for that "dream" house/car/whatever.
Old 2008-11-09, 05:49   Link #5175
solomon

Also moving away from credit card whoring wouldn't hurt.
Old 2008-11-09, 21:23   Link #5176
james0246

Here is a fairly good article (entitled The Fall) detailing McCain and...well quite a bit about everything concerning the recent campaign and McCain's failings as a leader of the Republican party, and his failings as a politician (in the past 3-4 years). This article is especially poignant for those, like me, who had supported or even voted for McCain in the past, but found his behaviour in this recent election to be reprehensible.

Quote:
"Obama and his supporters decried McCain's tactics. Yet some of the strongest criticism came from people whom McCain revered or who had long revered him. And it was not merely about strategy--the backbiting that always consumes losing campaigns. It was about the very nature of John McCain. In their eyes, at least, their hero was losing not only an election but his reputation--or, as one prominent backer put it, "his soul."
Old 2008-11-09, 21:48   Link #5177
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
What prohecies? Are we close to the end of days already?

If Obama starts a war, you know it's the only option left while Bush tried as hard as he could to invade Iraq.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 00:23   Link #5178
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
LOL, optimistic aren't you ? I am unsure of what strange scenario you have concocted that has Obama leading the United States into starting a World War (America has never started a world war, so you must be thinking up some serious shit to have Obama be the one to start the next "Great" War).
Sometimes I wish I were a seer, but I am not. I am still training. Just kidding. That information was just posted on some local newspapers, about a Bulgarian seer (who died long before many of the posters here were born), whom, they were saying predicted an Obama presidency (as an African-American) and the current economical crisis. Take a look at this from the bright side, they say she is only 80% accurate.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 00:28   Link #5179
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Sometimes I wish I were a seer, but I am not. I am still training. Just kidding. That information was just posted on some local newspapers, about a Bulgarian seer (who died long before many of the posters here were born), whom, they were saying predicted an Obama presidency (as an African-American) and the current economical crisis. Take a look at this from the bright side, they say she is only 80% accurate.
xxxHolic taught us that making predictions that *sound* correct is merely a matter of rhetorical devices. I'm quite certain we have little to fear from our Bulgarian seer's world-ending prediction.

Besides, there is a theory on how a monkey with a typewriter can write down Hamlet given infinite time to do so; the theory goes both on the time basis and on the quantity basis, essentially meaning that among the thousands of seers someone's going to be correct about something.

And indeed, the economic crisis is hardly coming out of the left field. Laypeople like just didn't pay attention.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 04:30   Link #5180
james0246

Just because I like everyone here so much, I am presenting Exclusive: Chuck Norris writes personal letter to president-elect. Chuck Norris is one of the great visionary politicians of our day, and we should all read and learn from this letter.

Quote:
Quite frankly, that is why I'm surprised that a man like you, who professes to fight for minorities, would not recognize the clear value of a human life in the womb. Federal law should not decree the sacrifice of one human life for the preference of another. Both lives should be protected. Otherwise what do Jefferson's 1809 words mean? As president, you are called to protect (not destroy) human life – it is the "first and only legitimate object of good government."

hopefully my sarcasm is apparent...

---

In other (real) news, it seems that Obama Asks Bush to Provide Help for Automakers.

Quote:
"The struggling auto industry was thrust into the middle of a political standoff between the White House and Democrats on Monday as President-elect Barack Obama urged President Bush in a meeting at the White House to support immediate emergency aid."

"As the auto industry reels, rarely has an issue so quickly illustrated the differences from one White House occupant to the next. How Mr. Obama responds to the industry’s dire straits will indicate how much government intervention in the private sector he is willing to tolerate. It will also offer hints of how he will approach his job under pressure, testing the limits of his conciliation toward the opposition party and his willingness to stand up to the interest groups in his own. "

Last edited by james0246; 2008-11-11 at 04:44.

Tags
debate, elections, politics, united_states